Guests for Thanksgiving? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-24-2018, 05:09 PM

We all meet at a good local restaurant soooo no such problem,eliminates lots of family arguments to .
Old 11-24-2018, 06:33 PM

My brother, his bi-polar wife and two autistic kids were here. Everything was put away.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:11 AM

Page 2 and no pics.
10mm 1911 + 2 spare mags + XDs 45 "appropriately secured".
Thanksgiving day on a little hike, GSD is 7 months old.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
Woulda been a lot worse if he had pulled it out at school.
Yup, and that’s another problem entirely. The total disconnect from the shooting sport and heritage many of us grew up with.
Ummm, empty shell casing, just a piece of brass. Totally harmless, and yet the school would go on lock down and the public would be “outraged”. A rock in the playground is more threatening. Kids his age are probably packing pocket knives and they would consider an empty case more dangerous because they are stupid.
That may be the scenario where you are, but in my neck of the woods it would be identified for what it was. Sure, sure, the kid probably would get a stern talking to, but nobody would freak out and call the SWAT team.

Sorry, I get crotchety if I haven’t had enough coffee yet!
Old 11-25-2018, 11:19 AM

Safe Storage of guns is a really big deal to me for several reasons.

1. Kids, accidents, suicides, & whatever losses / misuse that could happen within the circle of friends & family. Uncle Bob or your Son's Buddy could have problems or addictions that nobody is aware of. Or just be plain stupid.

2. Home Burglary & Auto Burglary. Now keep in mind that I do not care an ounce about the loss of the gun. Loss, in the Big Picture, doesn't matter.

The problem is having the gun/guns going directly into criminal hands. Facilitating robberies, murders, assaults, and innocent bystander deaths in gang shootings.

Or even the murder of myself as I approach my car when there's an unseen perp rummaging through it.

3. The bad effect the above tragedies have on the public's (voters) perception when it comes to the 2A and our rights. This works against all of us.

I've seen a type of hypocrisy in gun discussions.

Some gun owners will maintain that:

"Laws concerning the sale of guns can't save lives because crooks use stolen guns anyhow"

--But at the SAME TIME these guys might say "it's okay to have unsecured guns in one's home & truck"

One cannot reasonably support BOTH of these positions.

Now plenty of us here on this forum keep our guns well secured AND still maintain accessibility for defense.

This helps prevent problems AND anti-gun sentiment.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:26 AM

I didn't have to worry about it....I went to another widowed friend of mine, and we are both gun guys....and he bought my old Ithaca 37 Featherlight 20ga. So it was a good gun day! LOL
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-26-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Not just firearms, but knives, sharp tools, hazardous chemicals, et cetera. If it's dangerous a curious child will find it. They seem drawn to cool stuff they know they're not supposed to touch.
Not to mention slingshots, rocks, Daisy BB guns, etc.

Horace and Alexander Suvorov
Old 11-28-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheOzone View Post
Because the woman will be too busy cooking to remember.
HA, i do the cooking in my house....and no I am not a woman
Old 11-29-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
HA, i do the cooking in my house....and no I am not a woman
Roger that!
My wife’s sole responsibility on that day is to keep those little twerp grandkids out of my stuff! Last year they got into my chainsaw stuff and her daughter looked at me like I was a fool to have such “sharp items” laying around (as she stands in front of the woodstove enjoying the ambiance)! That wood must just come out of the same outlet as the free electricity for an electric car I guess!
I guess, lock it all up until the little guys have as much sense as the dog!
Old 11-29-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Not just firearms, but knives, sharp tools, hazardous chemicals, et cetera. If it's dangerous a curious child will find it. They seem drawn to cool stuff they know they're not supposed to touch.
Yeah.

Like never mind.

That Buffalo Bill cistern I have in the basement.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:42 PM

The most responsible thing you can do is teach gun safety to all.

I leave my guns accessible all the time. My guests know this. It is a good opportunity to discuss Gun Safety. I don’t invite idiots to my house.

If I had a toddler or a kid under 7years old running around, I might put them out of reach, but if they are that young they should never be unsupervised. If they are unsupervised at that age then, that is wrong... and lazy parenting.

I try to teach responsibility in all things. I lock guns only to slow down a burglar or fire protection. Some guns are strategically left out for the safety of my loved ones or varmit control.