Ejection problem, mostly with Starline - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 02:49 PM

Ejection problem, mostly with Starline

While I know this is mostly a problem with tuning my ejector, not reloading, I'm putting it here because it's so different for different brass. I started having ejection problems recently. Occasionally with my older Armscor brass and ~often~ with the new Starline stuff. .38 Super in an old Llama Model VIII.

Miked the rims and I got .400 to .405 on the Armscor, exactly .394 on the Starline. SAAMI says .406. The Starline is still wider than the rimless (.386, supposedly) but narrower than the .400 it's supposed to be.

So, has Starline changed their semi-rimmed dimensions for .38 Super? Is this still rimmed ~enough~ that I can get by with increasing extractor tension? Should I just try it and see what happens?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2017, 07:12 AM

Tuning my ejector...?

For shooting .38 super ammo in a 1911 style gun, I use a slightly extended ejector with a flat nose.

If you are having ejection/extraction issues with Starline brass, it is most likely an extractor issue.....I have used Starline .38 Super brass for many years and have never had issues in my guns....

Once I tune my extractor, I seldom if ever have an issues with my .38 super guns.....
Attached Thumbnails
Extractor modifications.jpg  
Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 AM

is it 38super "comp" brass?

My understanding it's a smaller dia rim

..L.T.A.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
is it 38super "comp" brass?

My understanding it's a smaller dia rim

..L.T.A.
Not supposed to be, according to Brownells where I bought it. I have an email in to Starline asking.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:45 AM

.399 vs. .386 +/-!!

The Comp brass will "stack" in a double column magazine better than the larger diameter bases. Otherwise they are interchangeable.

A properly tuned .38 Sup extractor will handle either with equal reliability.

Often times .45acp extractors are found on 9mm and .38 Sup guns, some work most don't. Compare the dimensions of each, the difference is obvious.

All the best,

Last edited by jjfitch; 05-20-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:47 AM

.38 super comp brass....

The rim of .38 super comp brass is smaller than standard .38 super brass.....

I have never had an issue using standard .38 super brass in my STI 2011 Open gun for USPSA, so never wanted or needed " super comp brass...." However, I have SV mags instead of STI mags. I am not sure if the .38 super comp brass would use the same shell plate for reloading as the regular .38 super brass......