Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 PM

N.J. State Police sues Sig Sauer

N.J. State Police sues gun maker for $2.5M over 'life threatening' jams

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...art_river_home

These gun manufacturers can't catch a break. Victims families of people killed in mass shootings sue the gun makers for producing firearms that work. The police sue the gun makers for producing firearms that don't. Nuts.

Having switched over to Glock pistols, do you think the N.J. State Police officers have to pass a special course in drawstring safety?
"I did, after all, have weapons. And I liked to shoot them -- especially at night, when the great blue flame would leap out, along with all that noise ... and, yes, the bullets, too. We couldn't ignore that. Big balls of lead/alloy flying around the valley at speeds up to 3700 feet per second...." -Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Bosco Rivera; 05-18-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Administrator

In the news the other day some dude is suing his ex-new girlfriend for spending their entire first date texting. Heck if you knew what I look like you could probably sue me just for being ugly.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:23 PM

Brilliant...

If I had to hazard a wild guess, Id suggest that there's at LEAST 50k P229s in Federal, State, local LE and military service... and NJ is the only on with problems...?

Ok, sure....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~

Old 05-18-2017, 06:25 PM

I have had one or two failures with Glocks. With a Sig? Never. Nary one.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:25 PM

Super glue for bore cleaning.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:29 PM

Interesting.....Sounds like some bean counter wants a refund...With our taxes, they should carry the new Wilson EDC X9.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Funny how they complained about SIGs and went with less-expensive Glocks. You just can't please everyone.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Funny how they complained about SIGs and went with less-expensive Glocks. You just can't please everyone.
... and in a year or so, they'll sue Glock for making "unsafe" guns after and outbreak of Glock leg among troopers...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 05-18-2017, 08:18 PM

I think if New Jersey ever wants to secede, we should let them.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
In the news the other day some dude is suing his ex-new girlfriend for spending their entire first date texting. Heck if you knew what I look like you could probably sue me just for being ugly.
I was sued for being so damn good looking. The argument was that my face is divine in nature, as it was obviously chizled by the gods out of solid granite. Fortunately the judge agreed I had no control over that, there for I am not liable for the neck injuries and car crashes.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matquig View Post
No argument here.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Heck if you knew what I look like you could probably sue me just for being ugly.
I'm so ugly I can stop a 7 day clock and back it up 8.

I'm toast.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:44 PM

Surprised they ever got rid of the revolvers... I mean, hey, wheelguns have more than enough capacity and rarely jam.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:49 PM

You have to wonder what they are putting in the water.

In some of these states like NJ it might just be all of the toxic waste. But I remember when California was great. I remember all of those Army surplus stores in San Pedro that all had windows full of nice used guns for sale at decent prices. I am sure all of those places are long gone. And most of the guns in those cases are likely illegal now anyway. New Jersey Forgeddaboudit.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
I was sued for being so damn good looking. The argument was that my face is divine in nature, as it was obviously chizled by the gods out of solid granite. Fortunately the judge agreed I had no control over that, there for I am not liable for the neck injuries and car crashes.
I've almost lost control of a vehicle staring at beautiful women. They should be liable in the case of a crash.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:28 PM

New Jersey gun laws are draconian

Sig was advised by counsel to incorporate a fail-eject-feature into all guns shipped to New Jersey to provide a defense to allegations of supplying assault pistols into the Garden State
Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 PM

Seems like some can't fathom the thought that Sig might actually have put out some bad guns, mostly because it is alleged to have happened in New Jersey. Would posters feel the same if it were the Texas Rangers having the problem? Probably not. This has the potential for hurting a lot of sales by Sig.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:45 PM

Sheesh, suing the gun manufacturer for defects isn't going to do them any good. The other companies won't sell them any as they don't like being sued either. But they appear to have been tricky, they bought the Glocks before they sued Sig. But just wait until they want follow up orders for more and see what happens. I bet Glock won't sell them to them either.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:59 PM

Hasn't the NJ state police a history of having problems with its issued handguns since going with semi autos?

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 05-18-2017, 10:05 PM

I want to see one of those jamming Sigs, and I want to see the ammo used.
I would bet money on them being guns that were never cleaned, maintained, and fired with crappy re-manufactured ammo.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 05-18-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matquig View Post
NJ isn't such a bad place. The problem are the Liberal politicians who have run the place for a hundred plus years. I grew up on a farm in Hunterdon County...it was a great childhood.

As a former SIG Armorer......I'm borderline amazed that such a high percentage of their 229's had FTE issues. Hell...ANY issue with a Legacy model gun surprises me.

I wonder WHAT they are using for ammo? Same for cleaning procedures and products used?

I would love to get my hands on some of the bad pistols, or watch their qualifications.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:19 PM

According to the complaint, Sig relpaced extractors, springs, barrels, and sent some Elites as well, and NJSP had a 20%+ FTE rate, with both duty and practice ammo. NJ also had Sig gunsmiths and reps down several times, and Sig identified out of spec components.

Thats one side of the story; Sig hasn't said anything....
Old 05-18-2017, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
I'm so ugly I can stop a 7 day clock and back it up 8.

I'm toast.
Well, I'm so ugly that at TSA checkpoints they make me frisk myself.

Seriously, I have to wonder if the JSP were limp-wristing those guns. The P229 has been around long enough that any design flaws were ironed out decades ago. I wouldn't even suspect the ammunition because SIGs are known to digest pretty much anything, and even if not that would've been a fairly easy issue to diagnose.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:41 PM

Any troopers ACTUALLY loose their life over a faulty Sig?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
... and in a year or so, they'll sue Glock for making "unsafe" guns after and outbreak of Glock leg among troopers...
dats some funny stuff there
Closed Thread