Question about Blue and Black American Flag - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 05:30 PM

Question about Blue and Black American Flag

I have seen them flying in my neck of the woods. I am assuming this is a "Thin Blue Line" related. I have always had a great deal of respect for LEO and find the Thin Blue Line symbol very tasteful and meaningful, but I don't know that I like this adaptation of the American Flag. Am I wrong to feel this way?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:25 AM

I personally won't fly any main flag except a traditional US Flag. I really dig some of the modified flags like the Thin Blue Line flag of which you speak, but I've always felt that the main flag should never be altertered and it's meaning should never be two-fold.

Having said that, we live in a time where our Country, our values, our Patriotism, our faith is under siege, as such, I'm compelled to accept alternative flags if they're tastefully done. Flying a less than traditional, but tasteful flag, is far better than flying no flag at all. Tis better to acknowledge our great nation than to ignore it.

Another exception that I have is for those who've lost their brothers & sisters. I always fly my primary main US flag with a smaller secondary Thin Blue Line flag for one week beginning on Peace Officers Memorial Day. Well, I fly it more often than that throughout the year, but it's always waving in the wind during Peace Officers Memorial Day, just like it is now.

My friend (retired LEO), whose lost a plethora of brothers, is flying his flags for a week too. Although different from my display, I can't help but to admire and respect his commitment to respectfully honor his fallen brothers. He loved my secondary Thin Blue Line Flag, so he added one to his flag locker.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
I personally won't fly any main flag except a traditional US Flag. I really dig some of the modified flags like the Thin Blue Line flag of which you speak, but I've always felt that the main flag should never be altertered and it's meaning should never be two-fold.
I concur. I think flying the traditional flag along with the Thin Blue Line flag, like you are doing, covers all the bases. No need to fly the modified Blue Line flag.

The only person a Gun Free Zone protects is the person doing the shooting.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkel View Post
I concur. I think flying the traditional flag along with the Thin Blue Line flag, like you are doing, covers all the bases. No need to fly the modified Blue Line flag.
Agreed... very respectful. Good bless, the fallen law enforcement.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:32 PM

The very concept of bastardizing and changing the US Flag to create a specific message or facilitate a particular group I find very offensive - the group or intent doesn't matter... altering the Flag to send a political message is wrong, regardless of who or why.

Its a collective, national symbol, not one to be twisted, used or manipulated for social or political purposes...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 05-22-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
The very concept of bastardizing and changing the US Flag to create a specific message or facilitate a particular group I find very offensive - the group or intent doesn't matter... altering the Flag to send a political message is wrong, regardless of who or why.

Its a collective, national symbol, not one to be twisted, used or manipulated for social or political purposes...

Very well said !
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Reagan
Old 05-22-2017, 06:23 PM

100% in agreement with wccountryboy. Can't say it any better!
Old Today, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I have seen them flying in my neck of the woods. I am assuming this is a "Thin Blue Line" related. I have always had a great deal of respect for LEO and find the Thin Blue Line symbol very tasteful and meaningful, but I don't know that I like this adaptation of the American Flag. Am I wrong to feel this way?
Do not think you are wrong. Agree with Countryboy's sentiments.
Old Today, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT2 View Post
Do not think you are wrong. Agree with Countryboy's sentiments.
Yep, I was just surprised it took six days for someone to agree with me. I wondered if possibly the adapted flag was commissioned through an Official Government Protocal Agency (or local police department), which I seriously doubted. Something tells me that some misguided individual with power point designed the flag and has marketed it, then sold it to folks who have no idea how offensive this adapted flag is to many of us.
Old Today, 07:55 AM

Secondary Blue Line flag is nice. Do not like the altered U.S. flag at all, for the very reasons Wccountryboy stated.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old Today, 08:18 AM

As a veteran whose family has served in the last 4 wars I agree with your points. And I have reconsidered the display of my blue line flag. However as a police officer for the past 28 years, I see the other side too. This blue line flag came about when it seemed that the whole country turned against us. We were under attack daily in the news and on the streets. Depending on the area you worked in it can cause you to have a lot of doubts about what you spent a significant portion of your life doing. I can't speak for all cops but for me seeing the blue line flag flying on someone's house meant quite a bit. That I was not forgotten. My brothers who didn't make it home that night were not forgotten, and that the person in that house still believed that the police were not the enemy. A citizen who cared about my well-being as much as we cared about theirs.
As for me, I will continue to fly an American Flag in front of my house and on occasion, the blue line flag will also fly. Not as an insult but as a memorial to those who gave all here.
Old Today, 09:06 AM

Quote:

AMEN! You beat me to it. I feel exactly the same way. There are plenty of ways to show respect and support without making these bastardized American flags. Our flag should be left unaltered.

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old Today, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Not only is it offensive, it is a violation of the flag code. However, why should we expect government agencies to follow the law?

If they want to bastardize a flag, let them do it to their township or city flags.
Old Today, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
As a veteran whose family has served in the last 4 wars I agree with your points. And I have reconsidered the display of my blue line flag. However as a police officer for the past 28 years, I see the other side too. This blue line flag came about when it seemed that the whole country turned against us. We were under attack daily in the news and on the streets. Depending on the area you worked in it can cause you to have a lot of doubts about what you spent a significant portion of your life doing. I can't speak for all cops but for me seeing the blue line flag flying on someone's house meant quite a bit. That I was not forgotten. My brothers who didn't make it home that night were not forgotten, and that the person in that house still believed that the police were not the enemy. A citizen who cared about my well-being as much as we cared about theirs.
As for me, I will continue to fly an American Flag in front of my house and on occasion, the blue line flag will also fly. Not as an insult but as a memorial to those who gave all here.
I've no issue with the Blue Line flag itself (the black flag with the ceneral horizontal blue strip) - its a completely independent symbol of LE, and an appropriate memorial. Its been around for decades.

When the colors are changed, and the imagery superimposed on the US Flag, (the 'Blue Line US Flag) that is wrong, regardless of the reason or "cause "... why not a pink and white US Flag with a ribbon for breast cancer? Maybe a rainbow US flag for LGBT issues....? Maybe Bloomberg et al can superimpose an image of a child's bloody corpse to support gun control...? It is corrupting the symbol for ones personal political cause... the message becomes (regardless of what you may think it is, or intend it to be) that if one does not absolutely, completely, and totally support the "cause" being promoted, one is "un American". Thats the psychology of such symbology and imagery.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old Today, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Yaworski View Post
Not only is it offensive, it is a violation of the flag code. However, why should we expect government agencies to follow the law?

If they want to bastardize a flag, let them do it to their township or city flags.
While very true, the Flag Code has been found to be legally unenforceable... so its on the end user to either comply out of respect or not...

Personally, I'm not sure State and local government entities should be using the US Flag on vehicles, equipment, and uniforms- they are NOT Federal employees or authorities, they are State or local authorities... they are certified and commissioned by the State government... they are subject to State law.... perhaps State Flags would be more appropriate?
Old Today, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I am not in your shoes, but I can promise you that at no time has the entire country "turned against you" (LEO). BLM and the media do not speak for the majority of Americans. As a matter of fact, they (BLM types and media), speak for a very small number of Americans. True, they manipulate media with autobots and other techniques to make support for their narrative larger than life.

I hope your spirits will be lifted, because everyone I know respects and admires those in Law Enforcement. Your brothers who do not make it home are not forgotten they are heroes to the majority of Americans. God bless them all.

I hope that you will take the time to research the Protocal associated with the American Flag. The fact, and I believe you; that you say, it is not meant to insult anyone, needs to be re-thought. You need to understand. It does insult many. It is not right. By flying the altered American flag you will alienate some of the Americans who love you the most. Flying that flag may put you in a category more closely associated with those who you (and I) despise most.

United We Stand. Divided We Fall.

Last edited by HarryO45; Today at 11:32 AM.
Old Today, 10:25 AM

Harry thank you for your response. It was well put and understood. If my flying the blue line offends I apologize. It was not the intent.
Old Today, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post

This I agree with 100%...

Having said that, we live in a time where our Country, our values, our Patriotism, our faith is under siege, as such, I'm compelled to accept alternative flags if they're tastefully done. Flying a less than traditional, but tasteful flag, is far better than flying no flag at all. Tis better to acknowledge our great nation than to ignore it.

I can't agree with this... the imagery, symbolism, and message of ANY "alternative" flag, for any cause, purpose, or reason, is by its very nature exclusive and devicive... I find it odd that you talk about values, yet so readily yield and forfit your own (based on your first statment) because you agree with the message or group violating your values....

Another exception that I have is for those who've lost their brothers & sisters. I always fly my primary main US flag with a smaller secondary Thin Blue Line flag for one week beginning on Peace Officers Memorial Day. Well, I fly it more often than that throughout the year, but it's always waving in the wind during Peace Officers Memorial Day, just like it is now.

My friend (retired LEO), whose lost a plethora of brothers, is flying his flags for a week too. Although different from my display, I can't help but to admire and respect his commitment to respectfully honor his fallen brothers. He loved my secondary Thin Blue Line Flag, so he added one to his flag locker.

Sounds like you're somewhat conflicted... what you seem to be saying is " Its wrong BUT....".
There is no "but"; its either right and proper or wrong and improper...

The display in your first image is correct, respectful, proper, and tasteful. There is nothing wrong with it. Its a secondary flag, a complete stand alone image and symbol, flown in a position subordinate to the US Flag....

There is NOTHING respectful or tastful about the second image. Its a corruption of a national symbol for political purpose, to make a statement. From a symbology perspective, its no differnent than burning a proper US Flag at a political demonstration...
Old Today, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Amen brother
Old Today, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Harry thank you for your response. It was well put and understood. If my flying the blue line offends I apologize. It was not the intent.
Your welcome. We are on your team. Be safe. I will do my best to always watch your back.