What do you think happened? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 11:49 AM

What do you think happened?

My stainless pistol (a twin) shipped on Wednesday and arrived at my FFL on Friday via 2nd Day Air. When I unpacked the pistol, wrapped in a GI towel, from GI's range bag this is what I found:

The inside of the box showed nothing to indicate it might have gotten wet and the outside of the box had normal shipping scuffs on it, but otherwise looked o.k.

The pistol is on the way back to GI. They are pissed and scratching their heads to what could have caused this to happen in just two days. The pistol is oiled prior to shipping, and you can see oil on it. It looks like something corrosive came into contact with the pistol during shipping. Could some type of catalyst from another box have seeped in and caused this? Could there be a defect in the frame/slide metal itself that was revealed during shipping?

I'll post an update once I hear back from GI. There are a couple of smaller marks on the bottom of the trigger guard and I didn't bother breaking it down to look inside.

Last edited by PsyDoc; 05-14-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:46 PM

Bizarre. Let us know what they say.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:20 PM

***? I'm really curious as to what they say. That's a horrible thing to have happen. Just awful man I'm so sorry about your pistol. They'll make it right though.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:39 PM

Wow that sucks! I have seen "new" guns in the display case at LGS's with very mild rust on them but nothing like that. Was there something on the towel that ended up on the gun? maybe? Or something on the inside of the range bag that somehow made contact with it?
Was this a new purchase or was it returned for a warranty claim? Not that it matters, just curious for myself.
I've never dealt with GI myself but I've heard their warranty is top notch. They will fix you up.

After looking closer at the pic of the front sight, it looks as if it's almost rusted into the dovetail cut. Idk. Strange for sure.

Last edited by Howe.45ACP; 05-14-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:58 PM

What is it? Stainless? Hard chrome? Nickel?
Old 05-14-2017, 05:00 PM

The pistol is new and they sent it like they normally do. They oil it up, it goes in a plastic bag, and then the GI towel is wrapped around it, and held on with a rubber band (a figure 8). My other arrived like that with zero issues. GI said they have never had something like that happen. There was oil on the inside of the bag and I didn't notice anything else like water or solvent, which could've evaporated. The bag was shipped back as well. But, this happened in less than a 48 hour period. Pistol left GI Wednesday afternoon and was at my FFL around noon. I was there 15 minutes later. GI has warranty work on my other one, tritium lamp arrived DOA, and I've been very pleased with there customer service.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfut808 View Post
What is it? Stainless? Hard chrome? Nickel?
Stainless.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:14 PM

Damn. That is crazy. I bet when you get it back, it's better than new!! Im gonna follow this one close. Hope they find out what happened.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:20 PM

tagged for follow up news
Old 05-14-2017, 11:40 PM

Having worked for years in the shipping industry, it's not uncommon to have poorly packaged shipments that leak, even though the big private shippers do their best to catch these things. It could have been leaked on from another package with a fast dissolving or evaporating substance, so you wouldn't see any wetness, or your package could have come in contact with a gas of some form, as most packaging isn't airtight. Corrosive substances come in many forms. A lot of people do ship things they aren't allowed too, and while many of those packages are caught and pulled out, inevitably some do get through and cause problems.
That being said, I'm very curious myself!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:26 AM

Perhaps was exposed to a package containing pool shock or chlorine tabs
Old 05-15-2017, 07:56 AM

Strange to say the least. Hope they rectify whatever happened and turn it around quickly for you. Thanks for posting.

Did it come in a plastic bag?

Last edited by Plantar5; 05-15-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:34 AM

Whatever it was, it looks like it came in drops, and either there was some between the sight and slide, or a bigger drop found its way there. Looks more like something that ended up there before shipping than anything that may have happened during shipping - unless the gun was unpacked during shipping by someone either curious or nasty.

Curious to see what GI find out...
Old 05-15-2017, 12:36 PM

A question comes to mind... What is in the Tritium vial? What happens if it breaks, and whatever liquid is in there gets to the steel and stays there instead of being wiped off - as would happen in a package, whether the vial gets broken just prior to be wrapped and packed, or in transit?
Old 05-15-2017, 12:42 PM

Psydoc,

This is really unfortunate and I don't understand how something like this could even happen to any manufacturer.

If something like this happened to me, I would have contacted the manufacturer and waited for them to look at the pistol and see what the corrective course of action would be before posting. This is such an anomaly, I don't think it is fair to Guncrafter to post pics without knowing what happened. Of course, we may never know the root cause.

I'm sure Guncrafter will do whatever it takes to correct this issue. Please keep us posted.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbowman View Post
Having worked for years in the shipping industry, it's not uncommon to have poorly packaged shipments that leak, even though the big private shippers do their best to catch these things. It could have been leaked on from another package with a fast dissolving or evaporating substance, so you wouldn't see any wetness, or your package could have come in contact with a gas of some form, as most packaging isn't airtight. Corrosive substances come in many forms. A lot of people do ship things they aren't allowed too, and while many of those packages are caught and pulled out, inevitably some do get through and cause problems.
That being said, I'm very curious myself!
Bingo--This happens more than you think! Especially shipping things they are not supposed to. Something leaked near your box -- reaction!!
Old 05-15-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40 View Post
Psydoc,

This is really unfortunate and I don't understand how something like this could even happen to any manufacturer.

If something like this happened to me, I would have contacted the manufacturer and waited for them to look at the pistol and see what the corrective course of action would be before posting. This is such an anomaly, I don't think it is fair to Guncrafter to post pics without knowing what happened. Of course, we may never know the root cause.

I'm sure Guncrafter will do whatever it takes to correct this issue. Please keep us posted.
It's obviously a freak accident, I don't think anybody with a fair mind would count this against anyone to whose product it happened.

Whatever the cause, it would be interesting for everybody to know that it can happen, and how it can happen...
Old 05-15-2017, 01:15 PM

Other than the sight did the other stuff wipe off or come off? Or is that rust that you can feel and now there for good?
I don't own a GI but since they are a premium maker and it came out of the bag/box like that I'm sure they will fix it asap and get you squared away pronto.
Keep us updated on the progress.
COTEP#782
Old 05-15-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40 View Post
Psydoc,

I contacted GI on the spot, emailed photos to them, and they were as upset as I was. They stated, point blank, "We will do whatever is necessary." If the frame/slide is compromised, it will be replaced. I know they will take care of me.

As for the tritium vial, it can break and no more glow. It was fine when it left GI, so something during shipping gave it a hard enough jolt to crack the vial. This occurred with my first GI pistol, not the one in photos above.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Other than the sight did the other stuff wipe off or come off? Or is that rust that you can feel and now there for good?
I don't own a GI but since they are a premium maker and it came out of the bag/box like that I'm sure they will fix it asap and get you squared away pronto.
Keep us updated on the progress.
As a fyi the front sights have to come off, the area completely freed of rust/ corrosion and new sights installed. Corrosion cannot be "cleaned" off it must be physically removed if present.

The other areas will be interested to see what did that. Pretty ugly chemicals--maybe a vacuum sealed plastic bag to ship the pistol in is in order.

Feel bad for the OP--the spots on the SS are not good. What would really concern me are the internal parts. I would want the pistol completely broken down AND THE PICTURES SENT TO ME in high resolution for examination. Anything that even had a HINT of corrosion would be tossed!!

Like this--my Gemini Customs 10mm:

Last edited by Busa Dave; 05-15-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:42 PM

First thing GI will do is strip that pistol down and go over every spec of every piece. They will make it right. No need to doubt those guys.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:17 PM

Pistol has been received by GI and they are at a loss for words, in regard to what could have happened. They said it looks like it was sitting neglected for a year. They have stripped it and done a thorough inspection of the internals and they are pristine. The next step is to determine the extent of the damage on the frame and slide. They said that if it cannot be fixed to their exacting standards, it will be replaced. Right now, they seemed to think it was 50/50.

I'll post another update when I can. I'm hoping to hear from them by the end of the week.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
The pistol is new and they sent it like they normally do. They oil it up, it goes in a plastic bag, and then the GI towel is wrapped around it, and held on with a rubber band (a figure 8
Was it also in the soft case it comes with ? Or did they stop including those with the pistols
Old 05-16-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotetrapper View Post
Was it also in the soft case it comes with ? Or did they stop including those with the pistols
Yes, the wrapped pistol was inside the padded range bag.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:47 AM

The UPS driver stopped at Taco Bell for lunch and your gun was the last item he delivered..........