Tisas versus any - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-30-2017, 06:00 PM

Tisas versus any

I own a tisas and a regent 1911. I always read post about supposedly high end 1911's but never have read what separates them from the " lower end " models. Can someone who has fired both types tell me what makes it better? I know the price of the toys etc
Old 05-01-2017, 01:13 AM

Can't help you there as I only have a Norinco 1911A1. I also have a Stoeger and SAR pistols in 40 and 45 caliber as well. All good dependable shooters for the money. There does not appear to be a whole lot of respect on this forum for any Turkish or Chinese pistols.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:46 PM

Wonder why that is? They work great..probably the corvette theory

Old 05-01-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdgt67 View Post
Wonder why that is? They work great..probably the corvette theory
Ive heard some people say they would never own a cheap Chinese commie piece of junk gun, lots of Americans dont like China and middle east countries

it's not that the quality is poor, they dont like where it came from.

Last edited by green papaya; 05-01-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Banned

They are not "separated" from lower end, they are the lower end. They don't match up metallurgically to say a Colt.. and the insides are fit by monkeys. If you have never owned a higher end 1911 (and I'm not talking Sig, Kimber or Springfield) You will just not understand.

Live in bliss.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 PM

Regarding people not liking where the guns are coming from- A couple possibilities; The 1911 is a distinctly American gun.
As such it generates a strong sentiment of patriotism, as well as nostalgia, and is likely to be owned by a patriotically inclined individual. Many of these type of owners, like myself, prefer to buy American made products whenever they are able. That would go double when purchasing such an Iconically American firearm.
There are also a certain number of consumers that take the adage, "you get what you pay for", at face value and can't conceive of a gun costing half as much, being as good. So they will never buy one.

Or,it could be, Turkish and Philippine manufacturers use inferior products, and/or procedures, in their manufacturing process. Resulting in a less consistent, and lower quality product.

FWIW I have a Charles Daly. I like it.
It was what I could afford.

Last edited by Psy223; 05-01-2017 at 07:33 PM. Reason: I forgot what prompted my response
Old 05-01-2017, 07:35 PM

Location: The best Commonwealth in the country. The bluegrass state
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker10 View Post
Can't help you there as I only have a Norinco 1911A1. I also have a Stoeger and SAR pistols in 40 and 45 caliber as well. All good dependable shooters for the money. There does not appear to be a whole lot of respect on this forum for any Turkish or Chinese pistols.
Not completely true. The Norinco is regarded pretty well. Fantastic steel and accepted for customization from many of the more elite Smith's where others are not. As for the Turkish guns I personally believe some of them are fantastic values. I have glocks, a bhp, Colt combat Commander etc and my Tp9sa is ironically my least expensive but one of my favorite to shoot. It now has a pretty high round count with zero stoppages. It has even replaced my glock 19 on my battle belt simply because of the trust it has earned and how exceptionally well I shoot it mainly because of the trigger.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
what separates them from the " lower end " models. Can someone who has fired both types tell me what makes it better? I know the price of the toys etc
I have shot a really nice Springfield. That may count as "high end". It had some work done so I don't know how it compared to stock. But, compared to mine, manufactured in the Philippines? It was superior in almost every way. Felt,looked,sounded, and even smelt better. I also shot it better.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:06 PM

They are what they are, a very basic 1911, that is available at a good price.

If you have to ask what separates a Tisas from a DW, Baer, Brown and up the chain to Nighthawk and Wilson, then one does not understand the 1911.

Sure, it goes bang when you pull the trigger.

Just like a Chevy Spark will get you from points A to B, same as a Mercedes will, but a Chevy Spark ain't no Mercedes, and a Tisas ain't no Les Baer or any other upper end 1911.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:11 PM

I was hoping to get feedback such as range reports, parts failures, or even defective manufacture. Seems that cost and place of manufacture is what separates. Defending your choice by implying that one does not understand the 1911 because they don't own a custom is the same as if you don't drive a corvette or Mercedes or whatever you don't understand cars.... i will enjoy my tisas and have fun at the range and have it readily available for self defense...thanks for all the responses..
Old 05-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
I was hoping to get feedback such as range reports, parts failures, or even defective manufacture. Seems that cost and place of manufacture is what separates. Defending your choice by implying that one does not understand the 1911 because they don't own a custom is the same as if you don't drive a corvette or Mercedes or whatever you don't understand cars.... i will enjoy my tisas and have fun at the range and have it readily available for self defense...thanks for all the responses..
If one can't afford a good 1911, they generally can't afford enough ammo to break a cheap one.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:18 PM

I bought my Tisas 1911's strictly as range blasters and cheap guns to tinker with. To that end, they have done quite well so far. They also shoot better than I had expected, to include varying types of hollow point ammo. Are they high end 1911's? Absolutely not, but they don't have the price tag of a high end model, either. I have no interest in paying high dollar pricing for a high end pistol I neither need nor would carry for defensive purposes. I am, however considering a Ruger or Springfield Range Officer as an intermediate level 1911 at some point. The standard GI style Tisas I bought was relatively tight with no glaring parts fit issues. The "enhanced" railed model has a rather loosely fit and sloppy beavertail grip safety and the ambidextrous thumb safety was a joke. I replaced the thumb safety with a Colt single sided safety and it works much better.

The upper target is the GI style, the lower is the railed model, both at 13-14 yards. Not the best, but not bad considering I have been in a wheelchair for the past 23 years and my hands are not good these days.

Last edited by rparrish; 05-02-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:22 PM

They're just cheap, crappy, garbage, junk, if I have to explain it to you, you'll never understand.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray burge View Post
They're just cheap, crappy, garbage, junk, if I have to explain it to you, you'll never understand.
Well crap, now you tell me. Where were you two years ago?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:47 PM

Explain it to me in factual comparisons as I still haven't gotten a definitive answer..crappy junk sounds like an opinion and while I respect it I can't draw conclusions from it. I spend a lot of time reading firearm related info and read about issues with a lot of different brands, some high end and some low end.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Banned

Entry level/ mid tier/ boutique

Entry level are the cheap import jobs with cast frames, some cast slides (bad idea) powdered metal injection molded small parts fit by monkeys (poor sear surface engaging one hammer hook instead of both, poorly fit barrels, lack of VIS cut.. the list goes on.

Mid tier are the big mass producers, Kimber, Springfield, Ruger, Sig.. Better milling on Slides and frames which are both hammer forged steel (Ruger frame is cast) Small parts are injection molded, some better than others, better fittment generally and you see more longevity engineering like VIS cuts and generally better fit and finish.

Top of mid tier and the Standard Bearer, Colt. Propper hammer forged steel in all critical small parts, some minor castings and injection molded parts, proper hard fit tipple lock barrels and unsurpassed reliability out of the box.

Boutique guns, Wilson, Brown, Baer and others. More detail and fitment among parts interface surfaces, best steel, more hands on gunsmithing, big money.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:16 PM

I have owned Colt, Ruger and Sig 1911's. Now I own an ATI. Yes it's made in the Philippines, fitted by monkeys, not really fair. The gun I purchased was cheap and I am in the process of putting some new updated parts and a trigger job in the gun. At the range it will shoot as good as any 1911 that I have owned. I shot next to a gentleman that was shooting a Wilson Combat, what was funny was I had no problems and put a nice hole around the bullseye, he had a few failures and was having a hard time being consistent on the target. I let him shoot my piece of junk, he hit the black every shot and loved the feel of my Ati. So not alway get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 06:15 PM

I think it's fair to say that most folks who buy the Turkish or Philippine 1911's are happy with them. I have a new TISAS that I have yet to shoot, but fit & finish wise it seems quite well done.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:17 PM

Hurrah! Enjoy it and post how the range goes..
Old 05-04-2017, 10:14 AM

Actually, Hickock did a range review if the TISAS and said they weren't that bad of a piece of junk, paraphrasing it of course.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:16 AM

If someone buys one of the Tisas 1911's the first thing I would do is immediately install a Wilson Combat spring kit, to include a recoil spring. The factory springs on these are junk. Aside from that, mine run well.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:26 PM

You'd say the springs are junk. What does that mean? Mine work fine as is. What will improve with new springs? As I try to get facts don't interpret that I am being antagonistic as I am not. Just trying to get facts.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:45 PM

I started shooting with a Bulgarian Makarov and always heard it was nothing but junk. The thing never jammed, was accurate as heck, and I out shot a whole bunch of people with high dollar guns. They should probably have invested more in ammo to practice with than the high dollar "look at me" gun.

If it works, you like it, and are happy with it, then who cares.....

I have been thinking about picking one up from the reviews I have heard. If I do maybe it will be a range toy, maybe I will learn 1911 smithing on it, maybe it will become a CC piece, maybe I'll hate it...who knows. Though I must say I have met very few handguns I didn't like for one reason or another.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:13 PM

Don't listen to the nay-sayers. They have no idea what they are talking about. I own a Tisas 1911A1, three Colt 1911s, and two Dan Wesson Valors. I shoot all of them regularly. The Tisas is made every bit as well as any of the Colts. Better than at least one of them. The only thing that a Colt has over the Tisas, which is really nothing at all, is the Colts have a forged rather than the cast frame of the Tisas. They are both full of MIM parts. The Tisas has fewer machine marks and no sharp edges that Colts are famous for.

The Tisas is a hundred percent reliable so far after a thousand plus rounds. That is not a claim that any of the Colts can make. The only 1911s that I have that will out shoot the Tisas accuracy wise are the Dan Wessons. They will consistently turn in smaller groups, but not dramatically so. Yes, the Tisas will rattle when shook. Shake the next Colt that you see and see if you hear a rattle. My guess is that it will sound like the Tisas.

In short, before you label a Tisas junk, or any of the other colorful terms and descriptions you might have, buy one and put a thousand rounds through it. If you haven't done that, then maybe you should keep your comments to yourself.

If you are so blue-nose American that you simply can't imagine buying something made in another country, spend some time and see where half the parts of your favorite brand is made.

Last edited by racoonbeast60; 05-04-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-04-2017, 02:14 PM

Heck, mine was $333 shipped from Bud's.