Has Browning Discontinued the Hi Power? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-19-2017, 08:29 AM

Has Browning Discontinued the Hi Power?

I was just pursuing the Browning website, and I noted that both the Mark III, and the standard Hi Power appear in the "Discontinued" section. They also both still appear in the "Current Production" section. Based upon the fact that I virtually never see new Hi Powers in any stores in my area, I'm wondering if Browning has quietly discontinued the model. Anyone know?

HRF
Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 AM

Has Browning Discontinued the Hi Power?

The discontinued models are the 75th anniversary models (that was 2010). The digital camo model, and the 40 S&W models, are the other discontinued models since they didn't sell as well.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
The discontinued models are the 75th anniversary models (that was 2010). The digital camo model, and the 40 S&W models, are the other discontinued models since they didn't sell as well.
OK, I didn't catch the caliber. Thanks! I've been looking for a new Hi Power for a while now (with no success I might add). When I saw those models listed in the "Discontinued" section, I was concerned that Browning might have pulled the plug.

HRF

Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 AM

My LGS gets new HPs in periodically and can order them from his distributor. FN seems to do the HP production run late in the year so you can usually find guns later on...

I bought a new 2016 code gun a few months ago... Your dealer should be able to order one for you... alternatively there is Gunbroker where you will find plenty of HPs.

FWIW

Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
OK, I didn't catch the caliber. Thanks! I've been looking for a new Hi Power for a while now (with no success I might add). When I saw those models listed in the "Discontinued" section, I was concerned that Browning might have pulled the plug.

HRF

Fear God and Dreadnought!!

You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:38 AM

There are also big online stores that sell new high powers. Earlier this year I order one, new in the box, etc from Bud's. Most of the time, for me, they have been cheaper than a LGS.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:11 PM

Thanks. I think I've seen 1 new Hi Power in a store in Northern Ohio in the past year. I've been watching "Gallery of Guns" (i.e. Davidson's), but they haven't had any for a while. The ones I see on the auction sites seem to either be a little rougher than I prefer, or else the price is rather steep (or both). So I guess I'll keep watching and waiting. I'm more than a bit concerned that, with the various military organizations who have moved away from the HP in recent years, Browning might decide to retire the line. Thus, my post from this morning when I erroneously thought they might have done just that. Thanks again.

HRF
Old 04-19-2017, 12:32 PM

I've seen new Hi-Powers in one gun store in NY's Hudson Valley.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:21 PM

Dealers sell new MKIIIs on Gun Broker frequently. There were at least 1/2 dozen yesterday.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
... I've been looking for a new Hi Power for a while now (with no success I might add). ...
I saw a new Hi-Power with adjustable sights and 10-rd mags. on grabagun.com this morning.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 AM

I have heard the HP was being discontinued I heard this about a month and half ago.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:45 PM

As far as Browning Arms goes, word was over 10 yrs ago is that they didn't import them every year. They imported in "batches" and only ordered in years when their US stock became low...

John Steinbeck
Old 04-29-2017, 11:45 PM

Fin, Feather and Fur in Boardman, Ohio (Youngstown) has a couple of new blued models in their case.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:26 AM

I emailed Browning about this they said they have not been made aware of the Hi power being discontinued. But I bought a Nighthawk Hi power anyway just to be sure I got one
Old 04-30-2017, 06:02 PM

Well, years ago when Nighthawk got its start, that was supposed to be the beginning of the end of Wilson Combat as we know it, at least those of us who have done business with them since 1990 or before. And then the pall bearers have carried Colt's coffin to the cemetery too many times to remember. I could go on about the supposed demise of other companies. Wait until it happens--then it won't be rumor.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:14 AM

You guys are killing me. I didn't even know I needed a Hi Power until I read this thread and now I do. I've never even held one. I guess it's time to own another classic.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer1 View Post
You guys are killing me. I didn't even know I needed a Hi Power until I read this thread and now I do. I've never even held one. I guess it's time to own another classic.
I'd love a Belgium made High Power, but never found one within my budget.
I do own 2 clones by FEG. Both of mine accept HP parts, & are very nice pieces.
You could always start with a Feg, to see how you like them. Even Fegs are increasing in value.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
I'd love a Belgium made High Power, but never found one within my budget.
I do own 2 clones by FEG. Both of mine accept HP parts, & are very nice pieces.
You could always start with a Feg, to see how you like them. Even Fegs are increasing in value.
I'm with you on this. I own an MKII which is a former Israeli Special Police pistol, and I have two FEG P-9s, former Israeli as well. I'm just as happy with the FEGs as I am with the MKII.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:57 PM

Looking at the picture of the Nighthawk ....... all I can say is several four letter words. I absolutely will not buy anything with an ugly beavertail on it. But, I'm not a fat guy, so I don't need one. If I did, I'd find something to shoot that didn't gouge my fat hand.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:38 PM

I did find it a bit surprising that Browning did NOT have a Hi Power at the NRA convention, they had plenty of Buck Marks and 712 different version of the 22 or 380 '1911', but not a Hi Power I could find.

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
Old 05-01-2017, 07:48 PM

I just bought a classic, blued with wood grips, on gun broker. I guess I should say my wife did. She asked me what I would like for our 50 anniversary and that is what I picked. She said go ahead and buy it and I will pay for it. I love that gal. It is a current production, parts from Belgium and assembled in Portugal. Not planning to make a carry gun out of it, more of a now and then shooter. Have lots of other carry guns. Might remove or have removed the magazine interlock and have the trigger improved a little but plan to leave the stock hammer as I am not a crowd the hammer shooter. Never had a problem with a stock 1911 hammer biting me.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
I did find it a bit surprising that Browning did NOT have a Hi Power at the NRA convention, they had plenty of Buck Marks and 712 different version of the 22 or 380 '1911', but not a Hi Power I could find.
I think the end is near, thats why I just bought one.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil dirt View Post
Looking at the picture of the Nighthawk ....... all I can say is several four letter words. I absolutely will not buy anything with an ugly beavertail on it. But, I'm not a fat guy, so I don't need one. If I did, I'd find something to shoot that didn't gouge my fat hand.
I agree it is not a great conversion. There are a number of companies doing a better joy of making a more shootable gun out of the HiPower without making it unrecognizable.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer1 View Post
Like you I've never held one, although I've been shooting John Browning's other invention for about 65 years. Just decided I need a HiPower, times running out for me.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:00 PM

I get the issue with the beavertail being too long. I have no problem with a beavertail on a Hi Power per se, but that one is about 2/3 too long IMHO, told NHC so.

However, do not be too quick to knock the gun, especially if you have not shot one......I do love my NHC Hi Power.

www.hammondgunandtackle.com

Last edited by Hammond; 05-01-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonedbrown View Post
I emailed Browning about this they said they have not been made aware of the Hi power being discontinued. But I bought a Nighthawk Hi power anyway just to be sure I got one
What's the appendage on the back used for... to dig your own foxhole?

Seriously, I handled one of these in a LGS (yes, they actually stock stuff like this) and aside from the makeshift trench shovel hanging on the back end it was a very high-quality piece.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 05-01-2017 at 09:16 PM.