new sights - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-26-2016, 11:02 PM

new sights

can some one tell me what i need to get , i want the fiber opt sights dont know if i want front or rear or both ,, is there a certain size or make ?
Old 12-27-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrobo View Post
is there a certain size or make ?
Yes
pretty sure Dawson has all the specs and sights in all the colors of the rainbow
They enjoy a reputation of quality products and great service

otherwise....unless their sight cuts have changed from the prints and info of a few years ago, they're "closest" to a Novak cut ..and will need fitted

The GI models are "standard" GI cut rear and narrow tenon stake on front

..L.T.A.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:32 AM

There are lots of sight makers that can provide sights for a 1911. I highly recommend Dawson Precision, not only for their product, but for their outstanding customer service. If you plan on swapping out the sights yourself, check out their website for Dave Dawson's excellent "how-to" videos. I highly recommend you get yourself a dovetail file (triangular shape with teeth on just one side) if doing it yourself, and don't forget the LocTite.

That being said, be aware that RIA's consistency with dovetail size can be a bit lax, shall we say? I just went through replacing the front sight on my CS and had a problem. I was told by one of the gunsmiths at Dawson that they have recorded 7 variations in RIA dovetail cuts. My CS was the 8th! If you call their sales dept, they will be very helpful is choosing the right one.

As for whether to get F/O in both front and rear or just the front, I can't answer for you. I tried them with both and found the sight picture not to my liking. On the two RIA's that I have now, I replaced both fronts with Dawson product, leaving the rear sights as they were, except I took a magic marker to the white dots, leaving me with a black rear and f/o front.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:01 AM

i think thats what i looked at ,i looked at m1911 a1 cs- tactical II it has the front F/O i really liked it , mine isnt the II i believe thats the way i am going with, ill give dawson a look , i want the same as the m1911 a1 cs- tactical II
thanks guys

i am going to range this week , i think i am good at stock settings , ill find out and see if i need to be lower or higher ,, what do you think is the better color ?

Last edited by lilrobo; 12-27-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:35 AM

For my SR1911, which came with Novak fixed sights with 2 white dots on the rear and one in the front, I changed the front sight to FO leaving the rear unchanged.

This gave me a much improved sight picture and has worked well for me. My groupings have tightened...

Also, I chose green over red, as green stands out more for me. It's like having a little light bulb on the tip of the barrel.

Last edited by Bayou52; 12-27-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:16 AM

thanks , i have read that on the my gun ( m1911 a1 cs- tactical ) that i need to have them installed , that cant do it your self ?
is this true
Old 12-27-2016, 08:24 AM

Previous owner of my RIA installed Kensights with minor fitting. I like the set up,black rear and red fiber optic up front, and haven't changed it.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
thanks , i have read that on the my gun ( m1911 a1 cs- tactical ) that i need to have them installed , that cant do it your self ?
is this true
Not sure about your model, but I did have the FO front sight professionally installed on the SR1911. A small amout of milling was needed. I was charged $35 for the installation. The sight cost $42.

Ruger recommended professional installation.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
i think thats what i looked at ,i looked at m1911 a1 cs- tactical II it has the front F/O i really liked it , mine isnt the II i believe thats the way i am going with, ill give dawson a look , i want the same as the m1911 a1 cs- tactical II
thanks guys

i am going to range this week , i think i am good at stock settings , ill find out and see if i need to be lower or higher ,, what do you think is the better color ?

My TAC II CS had a serrated ramp front. I changed it because the ramp was so wide it practically filled the rear notch. OK for bullseye, but not for quick target pickup. Measure the height on your front sight (if it shoots to POA), and order the corresponding height. Had the same problem with the front on my ROCK Ultra FS with the blade too wide. Dawson provides the sight with red installed, but includes both red and green spares so you can switch. I have the green in my G19, and red on both RIA's.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
is this true
Why do they say that?

it really depends on the person's abilities and whether they have and know how to use a few tools

You WILL be filing on the sight (at minimum) to fit it.

Quote:
what do you think is the better color ?
Whatever "your" eyes see best
Walk into Sally's Beauty and look at the racks of nail polish

Find out whether red/orange or green/yellow color spectrums jumps out at your eyes the most

..L.T.A.

Last edited by Cappi; 12-27-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:33 AM

good one ,, i like that nail polish thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
Why do they say that?

it really depends on the person's abilities and whether they have and know how to use a few tools

You WILL be filing on the sight (at minimum) to fit it.

Whatever "your" eyes see best
Walk into Sally's Beauty and look at the racks of nail polish

Find out whether red/orange or green/yellow color spectrums jumps out at your eyes the most

..L.T.A.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:53 AM

IMO, You would be bucks ahead buying the "Tactical" version of the Compact Officers model (if its a compact you want) I bought the GI Compact Officers model, because back then, the more deluxe model was scarce & quite a bit more expensive.
I ended up buying a set of Fusion F.O. sights, & had to have the front sight staked. The rear fits in the existing dovetail - but is not as sleek as I'd like. I will eventually put on a set of Novak combat sights I've saved for it. Even though I made other extra improvements - I'd still have saved money if I could have purchased the RIA Tactical compact.
Attached Thumbnails
my RIA, CO.JPG  
Old 12-27-2016, 12:16 PM

i have the gun already , got back from range and the sights i have now are pretty good as for be dead on , i can see the F/O better i think

thanks
Old 05-18-2017, 04:14 PM

Bringing this back up. My RIA tac has a Dawson front sight installed by the previous owner. The set up with the kensight worked, but over time I was getting frustrated with the dawson front sight. The pipe was very small. Hard to pick up even with good lighting. I swapped it out for a Fusion front sight. The dovetail was "straight" for RIA standards so I had to do a little file work on the sight, but it fit well after that and the .060 pipe is MUCH better.

I'm a fan of green, but get what your eyes like.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:03 AM

I bought HI-VIZ fiber optics for my RIA 1911. Came with a Novak Cut because the RIA "said" it was a Novak cut in the slide. Either HI-VIZ was wrong or RIA was wrong because the amount of filing on the sight to make it fit the dovetail was extensive. I got it to fit and work and I am satisfied but if I had to do it again, I would send it off to Dawson's. IMHO