1911Forum banner

Couldn't wait and got VERY lucky

5K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  HUPHLUNGPU 
#1 ·
My wife wanted to get me a new Wilson for my B-day but the wait and selection process was a deterrent. I didn't really know what I wanted. I called VITO at Only the Best and he had the gun I would have ordered in my dreams!

I would like to get the provinance (order sheet ?) from Wilson but the tag said it was a NIB CQB Elite with a Turnbull finish on an unmarked slide (and Turnbull finished frame?). It came with a strong side safety, speed chute w/lanyard feature, 10-8 U notch rear sight, 7 ETM mags and a Wilson gold bead front sight. I think it may have a titanium FP. The person who ordered it (but couldn't pay for it?) must have been a traditionalist b/c the slide does not have ball end cuts, front or slide top serations!

First range report: No failures of any kind for the first few hundred 230 gr. HB rounds and a box of Stan Chen Barnes loads. Almost all rounds were shot from 47D mags but the ETMs were easier to seat and fit the speed chute perfectly. I have "old eyes" and the gold bead was really stood out at an otherwise dark indoor range. I ended up with a 4" hole at 15 yards and a couple flyers as I was keeping a fairly fast pace. When I fird for accuracy it shot to POA.

First question: Does Wilson code their slides? The numbers inside the CQB slide, next to the disconnector rail are 01 11 11. My less expensive Wilson Ultralight Carry has a 02 11 11 sequence. Does this mean anything? I can easily tell there even less tool marks on the CQB slide (even inside the slide locking lugs), the chamber looks polished to perfection and the carry melt looks hand done.

The ONLY problem so far: The finish is too nice! The Armor Tuff finish is much easier to handle without thinking about scratches. This is a very high class problem I am happy to deal with.

Now about that provinance.........

See less See more
#3 ·
Aren't those dates on the slides?

#5 ·
Hello Craig, and congrats on that Wilson pistol. It sounds like a great choice of options, and the gold bead is a big plus. I had changed my order early on when it was in the ordering stage and managed to squeeze in the gold bead. It will be my first 1911 with one and I'm really looking forward to it. I believe that it will be just what the doctor ordered!

Btw Craig, I see your from S. Florida too, what ranges do you shoot at? I see by this post you shot at an indoor range, I lean more towards the outdoor range like Trail Glades. Since they completely renovated it it's a great place to shoot!

#14 ·
Thanks for the advice re px posting. I'll try as soon as I get some time on my home computer.

for JST1; I was shooting alot with Roger Zimmerman's IDPA group at the Trail Glades combat range and at Markham Park. Now I mostly just run over to Aces and sometimes Florida Gun Center. I hope to get back into the IDPA activities now that the weather is nice.

You?

Sig4me: I'll try that too. Thanks for offering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.