1911Forum banner

Mark IV Series 80 Enhanced Government Model

21K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  Hoptoad 
#1 ·
I had an old and pretty beat up SA Loaded that was a good shooter, but I couldn't get past the non-standard squared off dust cover and grip from that period, and it just wasn't a Colt. So I put an ad on my local Backpage.com advertising my interest in a trade and within 30 minutes had this deal set-up. I threw in a little cash and it was a win-win. Two 1911 guys left the parking lot of Sportsman's Warehouse happy campers yesterday afternoon. I have not shot it yet, should get to that on Monday. I'll update the thread afterward.

See less See more
#4 ·
Great score!
Enhanced Colts are some of the best "dollar values" in the USED 1911 marketplace.
Well built, with undercut trigger-guards and nice barrels. They can still use a tighter bushing, and I hate those duckbill grip safetys, but all-in-all a good Colt for the money.

#9 ·
How about getting black grip screws and index them and then a flush-fitting mag?
Here. Just for you. Better? ;)

Ultimately I'd like a set of grips like these walnuts but with nickel Colt medallions. I like the look of the wood on the stainless.

#8 ·
I dunno man... That's the way it came. I do have a Colt magazine but it's in my Commander and it's blue. The rest are 47D's. I used to think the bumper looked better. I don't anymore and some flush magazines are on my want list.

#11 ·
Nice. This is one pistol where I can see a lot of potential for customization. As you apparently did.

#12 ·
I purchased mine back in the 90s new off the shelf. At that time it was the nicest 45 one could buy over the counter. Since then it has eaten a little more than 10K of rounds and even taken a black bear in self defense (Not a single miss-feed). After all that I thought it needed some new life and the Colt Custom Shop answered that pretty dang nicely!

Here are a few more pics of the work just in case you haven't seen them.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=326909

#16 ·
I bought an enhanced like that, used in 2002. It had nightsights added to it, and the hogue grips. I ditched the grips finally, and had some feeding issues, as well as accuracy issues. Barrel fit loose as heck when the slide was fully closed. Changed barrel links to a slightly longer one, and it shot like a totally different gun. I like it over my Kimber Eclipse safe queen.

#18 ·
Made it to the range today. Very accurate pistol. Made me look good! On the downside, I had a lot of FTF. I'm gonna start a thread with pics of the jam and the ramp/barrel in the GS forum and get it running with help. I knew that Colts from this period are hit or miss so I was ready for the possibility that it was a jam-o-matic. Plus I had my wonderful Commander with me to finish out the session.

#21 ·
i got a blue one - i love it. My favorite 1911. I was always surprised that Colt would bother putting those wraparound grips on a pistol that they had an "Enhanced Cut" under trigger guard - there is a slight interference...you solved the problem the same way I did: Wooden Grips - Double Diamonds

#22 · (Edited)
I saw Colt enhanced just like the Op's just yesterday in a friends safe. It was his brother's and 'may' be interested in selling, but neither of us have an idea of price. A quick search of the auction sites revealed nothing of interest so I thought I'd check here when I ran into this thread. VG condition, been shot, light handling (idiot) mark, no box/papers.

What are your thoughts regarding value? I realize this is somewhat subject by region. Thanks for your help!!

#24 ·
Around here it'd be around $700-$750.

#31 · (Edited)
Thought I would throw my new Enhanced Colt (1998) in the mix...

with the following mods from Bob Cogan...
Caspian beavertail
Extended single sided safety
Lower and flare ejection port
Greider trigger with over-stop travel and perform 4 lb. trigger job
Arched S&A mainspring housing and checker @ 20 LPI
Line back of slide @ 40 LPI
EGW bar stock slide stop and countersink
Checker front strap @ 20 LPI
Throat barrel and polish feed ramp
Replace extractor with series 70 extractor and tune
Beveled magazine well
Replace barrel bushing
Polish inside bevel of slide stop
Replace springs with Wilson Combat springs
Install EGW hammer strut
Install EGW firing pin
Tighten lock up of barrel and tighten slide to frame fit
Convert to series 70 model Colt
Carry bevel package to remove sharp corners and edges
Hard chrome plate with polished slide flats
VZ grips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.