1911Forum banner

The Hi cap magazine ban

7K views 86 replies 48 participants last post by  Get Out 
#1 ·
Ok lets just suppose we get limited to ten rounds in a magazine. Right now the most popular cartridge is 9mm. One of the main advantages of the 9mm is you can put a lot of cartridges in a magazine.
With the limit of ten rounds to a magazine will people shift to the larger calibers? Will the 40 and the 45 acp become more popular than the 9mm as a result of this ban? What say you?

#12 ·
This is correct.

They had a federal 10 round mag limit in place for ten years. There was a big resurgence of .45 caliber autos.

#4 ·
Now that you mention a high cap magazine ban... you better get those 10 round magazines for your AR's and AKs now... if its not too late.

I remember back in 2012 after the Sandy Hook school shooting, the 30 round magazines were selling for $75 if you could find one, but the 10 rounds were completely gone. Technically if there is a high cap mag ban, the 10 rounders are the ones you will need if you ever want to go to the gun range and use your rifle.

#6 · (Edited)
I remember back in 2012 after the Sandy Hook school shooting, the 30 round magazines were selling for $75 if you could find one, but the 10 rounds were completely gone. Technically if there is a high cap mag ban, the 10 rounders are the ones you will need if you ever want to go to the gun range and use your rifle.
I've never heard of a range that refuses to allow legal owners of pre-ban mags to use them. I often shoot at an outdoor range that prohibits loading more than ten rounds at a time, but they don't care if you do so with a 30-round mag. If a range won't even let me take my own legal property to shoot then they can do without my business.

Anyway, to answer the OP we've already been down this yellow-brick road before, from 1994-2004. Sadly some states are still stuck with it, of course. During the AWB years the .45 made a comeback in popularity, plus the .40 was the favorite with full-sized service pistols. The only real exceptions were Beretta 92s and Glocks for which pre-ban mags were still everywhere, albeit at higher prices. But what the ban did more than anything is kick-start the move to small, CCW-friendly firearms. Many people felt that if they're limited to ten rounds then there was no need to carry a large firearm. If we end up with another mag ban the 9mm will remain a popular cartridge, but everyone will be buying Glock 48s and SIG P365s.

#8 ·
Like all of you, I hope that ridiculousness doesn't occur, and while prefer to shoot revolvers and 1911's at the range (both seem to speak well to me in terms of accuracy), I can't help but feel a little safer with a Glock in the house. Same with my lever guns and SKS, I prefer shooting them, but I'm also happy I can own an AR-15. It's great to have options, hopefully we won't be in a position to have to make tough decisions.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Let's also not forget that there are anti-gunners trying to set the limit to just five rounds...

#13 ·
I think it will all depend on grandfathering. If our old standard mags remain legal, I don't see much of a change in caliber choices. If stuck with 10 rounds or, gulp, even less, larger calibers will once again become more popular.

I also firmly believe the Democrats have learned their lesson on grandfather clauses, and not in a good way.

#30 ·
They will never forget the mistakes they made with the AWB. Rest assured the next one will close all the loopholes.

#19 · (Edited)
We went to 10R in NJ 2 years ago (i think it was), here are some points:

1) There is exactly ZERO (0) cases of any gun owner turning a 15 R mag into ANY police department in NJ.
2) Ranges will not let you use anything over 10R after the cut-off date. They have the ATF and State Troopers to deal with who do inspections...Now if you shoot at an outdoor range with space btwn you and others who is to say what you are using? But I don't want to loose my range privileges at the world class outdoor range I shoot at over 5 rounds, so not something I would do.
3) 45 vs 9mm for SD, yes, 10 R limits certainly change the dynamic of the 9mm H.C. attribute...I never needed any convincing 45 is a better choice for "civilian" SD (I grew up in an era where Alvin York was still a Hero in living peoples memories, see footnote below), but the 10 R limit just sets in in stone...And as always, compare apples:apples. 8+1 45 vs 10+1 9mm in 1911, or 10 45 vs 10 9mm in poly. As long as you can shoot 45 well, it is a done deal...And if not, do the best to optimize your skill with 9mm and you should be fine.

Here is another idea, if you live in a Republican state, get your Governor to declare the entire state a 2A sanctuary (if they haven't already) and announce he will not enforce any mag limits, or any other un-Constitutional 2A LAWS...After all, if Lefty Politician's are the only ones who don't follow federal laws they don't like, and Righties just fall in line when Lefty laws come out, eventually we will loose everything.

At any rate, POTUS will win on 11/3, the attempt at voter fraud will fail, and you guys in Republican states will be able to keep your high-cap mags. Stay strong!

Footnote: This has always summed up the debate for me, and German's are traditionally "big" people :). That is stopping power, all the rest of the debate crumbles against these real-life incidents, especially the major-league Snow-Job coming out of the FBI a few years ago:

"Alvin York and during World War I he used a M1911 . 45-caliber pistol to stop an attack by six German soldiers while he helped assault a German machine-gun nest near Chatel-Chéhéry on the Western Front. On Oct. 8, 1918, York drew his pistol after emptying his Enfield rifle at the enemy"

#21 ·
.40 and .45 ACP? No. I sold all of my .45 ACP pistols over 5 years ago and replaced all of them with the vastly superior 10mm. All of them are 1911 pistols, so 10 rds is the max capacity for them. Not that I expect my state will ever pass a 10 rd limit.

If Biden beats President Trump and the communists take over the senate, then yes, I can see a federal ban on more than 10 rd magazines as well as so-called Assault Weapons bans that Biden has promised numerous times on his wretched TV ads. But, these kinds of bans will be nothing compared to the destabilization of our entire federal Constitutional Republic that these neo-Communist democrats want to cause with the goal of removing the Constitution and replacing it with a communist manifesto. We won't have just gun bans, we will have a communist police state akin to the old Soviet Union.

I cannot comprehend why any patriotic American is still a member of this new communist/democrat party. It's not the same democrat party of JFK and would find JFK too moderate for them and they'd cancel him and run him out of their party. Or, he'd change parties like that NJ democrat did.

#25 ·
Ok lets just suppose we get limited to ten rounds in a magazine. Right now the most popular cartridge is 9mm. One of the main advantages of the 9mm is you can put a lot of cartridges in a magazine.

With the limit of ten rounds to a magazine will people shift to the larger calibers? Will the 40 and the 45 acp become more popular than the 9mm as a result of this ban? What say you?
Don't forget that obidenclinton want our ar14s and all 9mm guns. "As those are all military cailbers" his words not mine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#26 ·
This ad from one of Colorado's worst legislators keeps showing up here. His son was one of the people killed in the infamous theater shooting here. Feel for him i do, but he is partially responsible for the red flag law and magazine limits here in Colorado
Here is the ad:

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Well as for me, if the hi cap ban takes place, I will be carrying a 45 in either a S&W M&P
2.0 with safety, a HK 45, HK usp 45, Sig 320 45, ( all ten rounders) or one of my custom 1911s without breaking stride!! If i cannot have a hi cap with a 9mm I want something that has more oomph. Yes I know the 9mm has been improved; but a rising tide raises all ships.

#29 ·
All my handguns are 45acp 1911's now and thousands of rounds to go with them , it's what I shoot best .
So about 2 years ago I bought a lot of WC 10rd extended mags readying myself for the 10 round max rule .
I hope it never happens but if Trump is defeated we are screwed , you can bet your ass that's one law the Dems will get passed if not anything else .

#34 ·
I don't have anything bigger than 30 for my rifles, and I don't even have any of the long sticks for Glocks either. For my needs the super-large mags are just a waste of ammo, plus they're bulky both on and off the weapon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.