1911Forum banner

Old Mossbergs

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  tgt_usa 
#1 · (Edited)
I love the older Mossberg rimfire rifles. I just bought a 46M through an auction, and I have my Dad's Western Field version of the Mossberg 146B. It is a tackdriver - he used to show off by shooting the heads off lizards while we were rabbit hunting. (OK- not politically correct these days but that was a long time ago.) They are usually man-sized rifles with nice walnut stocks. Below is the 146B - a stock photo, not of my Dad's rifle but it looks the same.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Got a Westernfield/Mossberg .22 for Christmas, 1971.
Wards called it the 842B; tube-fed bolt gun, still have it.

#6 · (Edited)
M-44

My M-44 from the CMP was my main .22LR for years: awesome rifle. The lady at the CMP apologized that the bolt would be rusty and took $10 off the price: so only $65; bolt cleaned up with Iosso Bore Cleaner.

Reactions: Greek
#7 ·
No Mossbergs in my safe...but there's an old Marlin 22 Mag bolt gun detachable mag with a real black walnut stock. I bought it secondhand in a LGS around 1975 for $65. I'm guessing it's a 50's gun. 22s are a lot of fun.

#9 ·
The .22 mag was designed in 1959. I have a Marlin 882 detachable mag .22 Mag with a beautiful stock with lots of dark figure in it. I bought it in the early 70s at a GEMCO.

I always wanted a Mossberg 640 but the Marlin was the closest thing available when i bought it.

#8 ·
I cut my teeth small game hunting on a Mossberg 640 KD Chuckster, probably 38 years ago give or take. It was chambered in .22 mag and it was a good shooter, although the trigger was nothing to write home about. The aspiring young gunsmith I was, I made considerable improvements to the trigger pull, but at a cost - I remember when it got cold enough, say 20 deg or so, it would sometimes take two or even three strikes from the firing pin to ignite the powder. It only did this when it was cold, I realized what I had done but it was too late. Anyways I downed many a trophy jackalope through those iron sights, at 100 yds they didn't have a prayer. I remember making a 240 pace shot once, I held well above him and touched it off only to hear the familiar "thud" come wafting back what seemed like a couple seconds later. He didn't go far. Talk about exhilarating for a boy!!

#12 ·
I have a mint condition 151-M gifted to me 66 years ago by my dear father. It remains my very first bad gun trade. I was 12 and had previously been given a Winchester Model 62A, the iconic gallery gun. I was attending a Summer day camp and a bus picked us up on the corner in the morning and dropped us off in the afternoon. We shot .22's at camp and if you had your own, you could bring it on the bus. Talk about a kinder, gentler time. Anyhow, one of the other boys had a 151-M and being a semi-auto with a Mannlicher stock, I was convinced it looked just like an M1. Had to have one! So I talked my long-suffering father into trading the Winchester on the Mossberg.An early example of my later investing prowess. There is a happy ending though, about ten years ago, I walked into a rural gunstore and on the wall was a like new Model 62A. Now I have both. :)

#13 · (Edited)
There’s mossberg military 22cal training rifles in semi auto and bolt action. Look at your LGS in the corner rack in the dust covered rimfires. Great buys lurking in all that dust.

My ‘72 mossberg bolt action ( western auto revelation) 30-06 for $172 with scope, I wouldn’t trade for any rifle it’s that accurate.

Lots of info here, https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/par...tary-22-caliber-target-training-firearms-f77/

#14 · (Edited)
There’s mossberg military 22cal training rifles in semi auto and bolt action. Look at your LGS in the corner rack in the dust covered rimfires. Great buys lurking in all that dust.
That M44 is one such. Though bearing no close resemblance to any combat rifle, it's surely a good marksmanship tool.

Reactions: Greek
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.