1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remington stopped producing ammo...

5K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  dsk 
#1 ·
Heard this from one of the distributors that I knew when I worked the gun counter. Since the bankruptcy no one will advance material or money to Remington so not only have firearms inventory drying up but Remington branded ammo that is out there is all that will be available until after the court proceedings.

I called my former manager at the gun store where I used to work and he told me the only Remington ammo they've gotten in weeks is .284 Winchester which is a slow seller which is why they got a few boxes on the shelf.

My T-Bolt .22WMR really likes the Remington 40gr PSP which is nowhere to be found. Not that I won't be able to find ammo that will work as good or better. But once I found ammo that works with my rifles all I need to do is practice for the day we know is going to come.

#6 ·
I'm betting they use their own branded primers for their ammo.
But ehat about as a primer manufacturer?
Will that source will dry up also?

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
And doesn't require successful conception and development of innovative firearms, which from how many companies really make little to no progress on, isn't easy to do and at Remington would have to be brought to the table from nothing.

One can ride a long time on one's own coattails, but not forever, or not well forever. (To some extent, yes.)

#9 · (Edited)
I thought Cohen was horrible at Kimber (not on dollars-and-cents business but for quality) and didn't like the early results at Sig, but Sig has been doing very well commercially including and very much so with new product.

(The only company I can think of doing as much innovative new product is Kalashnikov Concern, but unfortunately we can't get their stuff.)

Any firearms company that isn't doing much, it's really worth comparing them to Sig, or as you say comparing Remington to Sig is very illustrative.

There is no reason other than poor management that Remington couldn't have gotten themselves in new firearms where Sig now is, or even beyond.

#10 ·
So, my stash of Golden Saber 45 acp and 9mm is going to be even more valuable.
Collectors items. :biglaugh:

#14 ·
Last ammo purchase I made was, a case of Golden Saber 185 grain .45 from SG Ammo when it was on sale cheap, maybe 1 year ago. So glad I did. It is the only universal self-defense premium ammo that is flawless in 100% of my .45's.

Many people didn't read the writing on the wall for the first two years of the Trump administration when ammo was cheap and abundant.

#11 ·
I haven' bought any Remington or UMC-branded ammo in quite awhile, as they were never on sale locally. Unfortunately until they get purchased by someone else and resume production it's going to put yet another crimp in the US ammo supply. The other companies may have one less competitor but they can only produce ammo so fast with their existing infrastructure.

#13 ·
I can honestly say that it has been at least 30-years since I saw Remington primers for sale. Has anyone seen them for sale in-bulk and used them?

#17 ·
Remington rimfire ammo......

Years ago, when I competed in NRA outdoor Bullseye competition, I would purchase Remington standard velocity Target .22 ammo. It shot OK in my Hight Standard Victor .22 target pistol.....but.....I would have occasional misfires, even though it had a solid firing pin hit on the rim.....if I turned the misfired case around, then chambered it, the round would usually fire. I was told by a fellow shooter that Remington .22 ammo was made by using a liquid slurry of primer compound which was placed in the case and each case was spun to make "centrifugal priming." Unfortunately, this allowed gaps of the priming compound inside the rim of the case......

I would buy the Rem. standard velocity target .22 ammo for practice, but for a local or higher level match, I used the orange box Eley Ten-X ammo.....Eley shot excellent 50 yard groups, and I never had a misfire..... :rock:

#19 ·
.22 drought

Years ago, when I competed in NRA outdoor Bullseye competition, I would purchase Remington standard velocity Target .22 ammo. It shot OK in my Hight Standard Victor .22 target pistol.....but.....I would have occasional misfires, even though it had a solid firing pin hit on the rim.....if I turned the misfired case around, then chambered it, the round would usually fire. I was told by a fellow shooter that Remington .22 ammo was made by using a liquid slurry of primer compound which was placed in the case and each case was spun to make "centrifugal priming." Unfortunately, this allowed gaps of the priming compound inside the rim of the case......

I would buy the Rem. standard velocity target .22 ammo for practice, but for a local or higher level match, I used the orange box Eley Ten-X ammo.....Eley shot excellent 50 yard groups, and I never had a misfire..... :rock:
During the Obama ammunition drought, I resorted to trying a bunch of unfamiliar loads. The Remington “Target” grouped noticeably well for me. Dud primers pretty rare in my stock, est. <1%; but more frequent by far that pre-drought CCI ammo (0% from 100s of thousands of rounds).

What surprised me was the Remington “Golden Bullet” in a “Bucket o’ Bullets”. “packed” (poured I’d guess) loose in ~1gal plastic bucket. More than 10% obviously subjected to side stress: bullet out-of-true to cartridge axis. And the loading seemed inconsistent: recoil and report much more variable than anything I’d used since the WWII surplus we’d shot at Boy Scout Summer camp in the late ‘60s - early ‘70s. Maybe varying degrees of cold oxydation from bullet out-of-true gaps. Yet, my S&W M-41 would group that stuff very well at 13.5m / 15yds. The repellent* and / wax that they used burned so dirty, though, it did gum up the works awfully fast. S&W M-17 liked it too. Still have some.

*- yes

#21 ·
Interesting. I was not impressed---actually I was P-O'ed ---at the last box of Remington handgun ammo I purchased last year that I swore off Big Green.
However 12 gauge STS shotgun trap/skeet hulls were worth the $$ because they could be reloaded a heap of times.
Winchester, Federal and Hornady recently announced winning some very lucrative gov't ammo contracts, but no room at the trough for Remington, eh? Sad for the workers and one more blockage in the USA produced civilian ammo supply chain.

#27 · (Edited)
I see what you did there ...

Interesting. I was not impressed---actually I was P-O'ed ---at the last box of Remington handgun ammo I purchased last year that I swore off Big Green.
“P-O’ed ... at ... Remington “?: I see what you did there.

My last straw with the latest incarnation of Remington was this:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1017280

... but I hadn’t even considered being P-O’d*. Good one.
:- }

*- My P-Os are pre-Remington: a P189S and an “Expert Commander”; both good workhorses.

#22 ·
As someone who has been handloading for almost 40 years I just want to say the Remington's ammo and components are the worst stuff I have ever seen. Their cases have the thinnest wall thickness you can buy and won't hold a crimp or give you adequate case neck tension resulting in bullets pulling forward and setting back. I have picked up a ton of brass over the years but any time I found Remington it went back on the ground. :barf:

#24 ·
I forgot about Remington's rimfire ammo. I used to like their Golden Bullets in the 100-round packs. Not quite as reliable as CCI Mini-Mags, but better than Federal or Winchester. The worst garbage however was their Thunderbolts. I bought two bricks of those during the post-Sandy Hook ammo crisis because that was all I could find, and just shooting those up became a nightmare as it was one dud, weak round or loose/mangled bullet after another. By the time I finally finished the last box a year or so later I swore to never again buy that junk. I honestly don't know how ammo manufacturers don't get sued over ammunition that bad, considering all the safety risks involved in constantly clearing jams.

#26 · (Edited)
My dad was a repair machinist when they made ammo in Bridgeport, ct. the powder was kept in a bunker and was transported by rail to the factory when needed. They closed up and moved down south making ammo.

I have a driver who’s husband just purchased ammo and guns. Slim Pickens now. This November 3rd stuff has everyone worried.

I use Winchester super X ammo in my magmun rifle.

#28 ·
Remington Golden Sabers 185 in .45 are great. They have been my preferred carry ammo for a while. Winchester Silvertips in 185 seem to shoot just as well though. Of course you can't find any of either right now.

#31 ·
Well, the OP said this is word of mouth from a distributor. So its either a rumor which from time to time is the true and you won't find this information online for some time until the rumor is either validated or quashed. I think there are elements of truth to it. We have to wait for the full story to come out.

#46 ·
If you don't have the money to pay the suppliers you can't make ammo. Besides which it's not that profitable. If it was there would be a lot more producers of ammo.

I heard Palmetto state was in the process of buying Remington's ammo division.
They were the stalking horse bid. There were other bidders for the ammo business. We won't know till later this week how it worked out.

#36 ·
Then count yourself lucky. In the '90s I had a LOT of friends who bought Rem. rimfire and it had more duds and misfires than any other brand around at that time and it would make a filthy mess out of your gun. In the '90s Federal had the best affordable rimfire ammo but today even they pretty much stink.

#37 ·
If you want quality rimfire ammo these days buy the imported stuff. Even CCI's quality control has gone down in the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.