1911Forum banner

The Hi cap magazine ban

7K views 86 replies 48 participants last post by  Get Out 
#1 ·
Ok lets just suppose we get limited to ten rounds in a magazine. Right now the most popular cartridge is 9mm. One of the main advantages of the 9mm is you can put a lot of cartridges in a magazine.
With the limit of ten rounds to a magazine will people shift to the larger calibers? Will the 40 and the 45 acp become more popular than the 9mm as a result of this ban? What say you?

#37 ·
I'd be a bit nervous owning pre-ban mags in MA, considering the fact that most people (and cops) can't tell the difference between true pre-ban mags and full-cap Gen 3/4 mags made recently.

#38 ·
I went to a pawn shop today and found 5 metal ar15 mags from way before the ban. Just got back from the range and they all worked fine.
I'm in Colorado where we have a hi cap ban in place. And we buy "repair kits" all the time. None of the sheriffs around here are enforcing the law unless some crime was committed using a hicap mag. The ranges all sell those "repairs kits".
When I bought my AR15 my doctor gave me 3 preban mags he got at the magpul give away before they left Colorado. And for the M1carbine I have 10 magazines older than me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#39 ·
All the new plastic magazines are dated. Look for the little clock shaped device that has one arrow pointing to a number from 1-12 and two digits, one on either side of the arrow this denotes the year the plastic was cast. I remove those and the only way they can be aged is the designs on the mag or the color of the follower.

#41 · (Edited)
This thread got me to thinking about buying some 10 round mags for my AR-15's, but I also wonder if that would be a moot point if Biden and Harris win, God forbid because it seems their promise is none of us will have AR-15's long anyway. Lot's of ifs here, but I really hate to put money in a bunch of mags I may not need. If Trump goes back in we won't need 10 rounders or if the Dems take over we probably won't need any mags at all. What say ya'll? Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to march down to a "turn in station" and offer my weapons up, but my question is for the worst case scenario.

Sincerely,

PastorDW

#43 ·
You kind of answered your own question.

If you are not going to "march down to a turn in station" to turn them in. Then it is pretty much a moot point.

On the other hand it never hurts to have extra magazines. The balance of what I use at the range are reduced capacity magazines. So I have a lot of them.

#42 ·
Joe Biden has vowed to ban and confiscate military semi-automatic firearms and hi-capacity magazines , or as he calls them weapons of war!!!

The 1911 is a weapon of war , it was designed for military use , to kill human beings!

So was the musket , the bow & arrow , pointed stick , wooden club , thrown rock , etc , etc , etc , , ,

#44 ·
All I can say is.

Joe Biden has vowed to ban and confiscate military semi-automatic firearms and hi-capacity magazines , or as he calls them weapons of war!!!
Good luck with that bro! :hrm:

#45 ·
In ct it’s larger capacity mags for handguns and for home and at the range, ten rd mags for ccw carry.

I believe rifles are limited to 10rds only. Unless you registered the larger cap mags at the time we needed too.

#47 ·
Some day the ban will be lifted...
Today Hawaiian shirts are considered to be worn by white supremacists. Waiting for those to get banned too.
I'll hang my Magnum PI shirts above the hockey bags full of hi capacity magazines in my closet.
One day they wont judge me on the round count of my magazine or how utterley comfortable that collard shirt I wear may be.
One day, I will not be labeled a terrorist or looked down upon as a white supremacist any longer because of a few bad apples.
One day but not today.

#48 ·
I think you are an optimist. Personally I think this country will soon suffer its own Cultural Revolution, and will devolve into violence and chaos as undesirables are rounded up or murdered by the "woke" youth seeking to purge this country of people and ideas not in line with their way of thinking.

#50 ·
I didn't bother buying only larger calibers when that went into effect. In early 1998 I bought my first Sig, an 8 + 1 P239 9mm. A few years later I gave that gun to my dad and 18 months later replaced it with another P239 9mm which I still have. I like my P7, my P5 but that P239 is my favorite single stack 9mm. I'm just glad I bought ample magazines for it before Sig dropped it from production a few years ago.

#53 · (Edited)
When our first mag ban expired it was ok to own them again. I’m not sure about this present ban when it expires. First we can own them, then we can’t, then we can own them but they need to be registered to us.

Decades ago I went to the local Walmart to buy 8 mm sp Mauser ammo. The grumpy old basxxx said we don’t sell military calibers. There’s a pile of 7.62x39 ammo sitting on the counter, go figure. I was on vacation in Maine they had plenty of 8 mm Mauser so ammo.

#56 · (Edited)
If Slo Joe and Kamalama Dingdong manage to steal the election and enact their bans the country will be divided into the have and the have not.

I will be in the have not group as I will have not complied and turned in my guns.

OR

I might be in the have group because I refused to comply and I still have my guns.

-

#58 ·
If Slo Joe and Kamalama Dingdong manage to steal the election and enact their bans the country will be divided into the have and the have not.

I will be in the have not group as I will have not complied and turned in my guns.

OR

I might be in the have group because I refused to comply and I still have my guns.
-
These two jokers have no legitimacy. They have no right to pass anything. Any measures passed with the help of traitors like Ilhan Omar and her ilk in Congress is not law to me. Like I said, this is not 1994 when the last AWB was passed; a good deal of reps in Congress in 2020 have no business being there and frankly Kamalatoe has no business being a VP. She’s not a natural born citizen, her mother wasn’t a citizen when Kamalatoe was born. I know you’ll say she was born on US soil, but the Constitution says you gotta be “natural born citizen” and she’s not. For what it matters, Nothing about these libtards is natural.

#63 ·
Who is "we" and when are "we" going to "get limited" to ten rounds?

I assume you're talking about everyone in the US if Trump loses?

I say "Trump loses" because it won't be Biden winning, it will be George Soros or whoever else is behind the Democrats.

But back to ten rounds - if the Democrats win, what makes you think you'll "get" to own any magazines? The Dems have the house already. If Biden wins, they'll probably get the Senate, too. Congress can change the number of Supreme Court Justices; how long do you think it will take to add another three, or five, liberal Justices? Right after that, goodbye 2nd Amendment.
Magazine capacity won't matter once you can no longer own a magazine-fed firearm.

So instead of trying to figure out how we peasants could make-do with limited capacity magazines, maybe you should be thinking about either how to help Trump win, or what you'll do when they come for your guns, and if you resist, for you.

#64 ·
Exactly. Instead of talking about George Soros and the other leftist funding evil invest some of your money to get the right people elected. You do not have to be rich or give huge amounts. Any amount will help. Ads get the message out and they cost money. Get involved in the local races and do some volunteering. The same people that will sit on thier ass and not contribute will be the first to complain when the election does not go the way they want. Don't take anything for granted, put in the effort.

#65 ·
The P-365, the Glock 48, the Hellcat, etc., are immensely popular already and will do very well with 10 round limits. There may also be a resurgence of revolvers in the SD role, since for many folks they are easier to load and shoot than semi-autos and a 10 round mag rule limits the disparity of the revolver with the semi.

My state (Virginia) is on the verge of going to the 10 round limit - or maybe they are thinking they can wait until there is a Democrat Senate and President. The real question will be whether or not higher capacity magazines will be grandfathered - and how will you prove you owned them before the ban? How will they prove you didn't?

I have a bunch of 16/17/18 round CZ magazines I would like to hang onto... I don't think the police will ever go door to door looking for magazines with more than 10 round capacity, but it could easily be some DA's idea of a good add-on charge if the pistol is ever used in a SD role.

The 1911 strikes me as one pistol that can only go up in popularity, particularly as 1911 variants (bull barrels, aluminum frames, bobtail grips, CCO models, etc.) show it is still a viable and relevant platform.

#73 ·
You're assuming that we'll still be allowed to possess handguns.
If the Democrats have the votes to pass the kind of legislation you're talking about, I think it's naive to expect them to stop with only a hi-cap ban. These people are serious, and the only limit to what they do is how much power they have. If they get the WH and the Congress, you can count on a do-or-die fight over the 2nd Amendment. If they win that fight, the RKBA will become a fond memory.

#69 ·
IF the Kommies achieve absolute power (White House, Senate, Congress) they will appoint hundreds of Kommie judges in just two years.
I don’t have to tell you how bad that would be for us Gun lovers.
Revolvers, 1911s in .45acp, bolt and lever action rifles will be very popular. Remember the liberals see the 9mm as a military round. So the jury still out -did I say jury, sorry liberal judges still out- and the mag ban will probably be 7 round, not 10. That’s what Coumo wants in NY.
U will be able to keep your old mags, but u can only load up to 7, or whatever rounds they order you to. They will send people to the ranges and count how many rounds per mag you are shooting. Why, because it’s easy money for the state, like ticketing soccer moms for speeding while the ghetto has 10 murders per week. But the cops can’t make any money in the ghetto so they give parking tickets in affluent neighborhoods.
So get ready to CC a 5 or 6 round revolver in 38+P or a very heavy 1911 .45acp. Or some plastic gun with less than 7 rounds.
Get ready for a 100% tax on all ammo & components.
I know many Democrats here get their feelings hurt when we tell the truth, too bad!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#72 ·
No, that's what would - and did, in some states - happen if this was in the 1990s, but it isn't, it's 2020 and the gloves are off.
You said absolute power, which is what the left wants, and what it will try very hard to get if it wins in November.

The only reason the anti-gunners drew the line at "assault" weapons and "hi capacity" magazines back in '94 was that they didn't think they could get away with anything more. 26 years of media domination and several generations of college students later, the Democrats feel emboldened to the point that they have dropped their sheep's clothing and are showing their true nature.

They're done messing around. If they get all three branches you can forget about how many rounds your magazine would hold.
After giving statehood to Puerto Rico and DC (4 more permanently Democrat senators), doing away with the fillibuster and changing the rule to 51% for SCOTUS appointments, the Democrats will waste no time rolling back our rights and setting up a one-party system. Sure, there will be Republicans, but they'll be about as big a factor nationally as they are in California right now.

Expect the number of Supreme Court Justices to increase from 9 to as many as 15. There will be enough of a leftist bench for SCOTUS to rubber stamp anything the Dems want. You'll wake up one morning to find that the 2nd Amendment has been reinterpreted to conform to the "collective right" definition which excludes any right to private ownership of any but the most limited firearms.

Assault weapons ban will happen immediately, followed by a magazine ban (if it isn't included in the new AWB).
Polymer guns? Banned as "invisible to metal detectors."
Center fire handgun ammo? Mostly banned as "cop killer" type bullets.
Any center-fire rifle that can accept an external box magazine? Probably gone as well.
For that matter, you'll be turning in that Garand your dad or grandad brought back from WW2.
Eventually, autoloading shotguns will probably be neutered in some way, if not banned.
Pumps, too, when Democrats realize how fast they reload and how many rounds are in the tube.
Oh, and don't think you'll be making any more Ghost Guns. That light bulb is starting to flicker on as the left figures out what that is; no right to make your own.
And somewhere in there they'll decide the "collective right" also means you have no right to carry, concealed or otherwise.

Get ready to get along with single-shot fowling pieces and maybe a bolt action or tube-fed lever action rifle. Basically anything designed after about 1890 will be verboten.

Think England, Australia, etc. and you'd be close to their idea of 2nd Amendment protection.

#71 ·
Never mind. Just get out and vote! Volunteer! Help all pro-gun politicians win! And never sit and relax. Dont turn your back on any of them. Every single last one of those politicians will stab us in the back.
Never again can we become lackadaisical, we the people must be on guard for now and forever.

#78 ·
Y'all are correct - I remembered that Harry Reid had "gone nuclear" with most federal judge appointments, but had forgotten that McConnell had later changed the rules for SCOTUS Justices as well.

I expect the filibuster will be eliminated so they can proceed to do things like pack the SCOTUS and appoint federal judges.
True, Trump has appointed quite a few but there is always attrition - remember that even though FDR failed to pack the court directly, he was in office for so long that he was able to replace all nine the regular way when they retired or died.
In eight years, how many regular appointments would a Biden or Harris be able to make?

But the extra 4 liberal senators puts them in a far stronger position in terms of a gaining a veto-proof majority.

#81 ·
I am not going to hold my breath on this.

But the extra 4 liberal senators puts them in a far stronger position in terms of a gaining a veto-proof majority.
You are giving these people a lot more credit than they deserve.

#79 ·
Biden has run for president how many times now? 3-4? I hope and pray that this sorry pos goes away. We the people have to do better. Trump is ok but next time we have no choice- a better candidate or else.
Our political parties suck. Not a single new idea. Not a single new principle. If Trump wins and we keep the senate and win the house. We need to find a way to hobble the anti constitutionists.
Also this win would give us a chance to come up with some candidates whom truly deserve our vote. We need to come up with our version of obama.

#80 ·
@kitchencounsel - you are already looking at the next Uncivil War, if the dems take the senate or WH.

They won't slack off turning us into a slave-state/peonage, and I suspect there are untold numbers of 2A folks that simply won't play.

Three branches? They'll need to use the military AND bring in the NWO, er- UN - troops.

I recommend NOT working in "militia groups", either. Maybe you can trust yer family, but you can sure trust yerself - the first rule of Fight Club.

#82 ·
Take a breath. Go VOTE. +

Trump will win. He just hit a 52% favorable rating in Rasmussen pole (Obama was lower when he won his second term), and leads Biden 49- 48% (yes, within the margin of error, BUT, a good sign.)

#2, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg just passed away tonight. The S*** is going to hit the fan.

Qapla' to all of you.

#83 ·
I have been polled twice in recent weeks.

Trump will win. He just hit a 52% favorable rating in Rasmussen pole (Obama was lower when he won his second term), and leads Biden 49- 48% (yes, within the margin of error, BUT, a good sign.)

#2, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg just passed away tonight. The S*** is going to hit the fan.

Qapla' to all of you.
I answered both polls that I was going to vote for Joe Biden without hesitation.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.