Vintage Python
Current Python
Pre lock S&W 27
Pre Lock S&W 586/686
Pre lock S&W 19/66
Current S&W offerings
Other

#2 ·
I would have to say that Freedom arms arguably makes the best one.

And those Korths are not too shabby either.

#4 ·
How about best all-purpose revolver. A go to revolver for anything you need to do with it. Maybe you have a different choice for different purposes, if so please elaborate. I like my 4" 686 as my go to, but it may not be the best choice to carry as a sidearm on a bear hunt. What fills the bill fairly well in all of those categories?

#6 ·
I agree with everything said about the Colt SAA but it isn't strong enough to handle really hot 45 colt For a maybe bear gun I'm thinking Ruger Blackhawk.

#10 ·
The top three in your poll are about the only DA revolvers I'm still interested in buying, though with the availability of the new Python, I'd put the vintage Python last, as for what they cost, I could easily buy the other two.

#12 ·
Tough call. I would feel well armed with S&W 19/66, in fact that is what I carried in the Academy in 1975. I had a 4"19, and the department issued me a 4" 66. Shot the 19 on the range, kept the 66 for inspections. But when you throw "bear" into the mix, I want my .41 mag. Redhawk, or S&W 657.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#13 ·
The Smith & Wesson Model 27 is the finest .357 Magnum revolver on the planet in my view. A Colt Python also lives here, but doesn't measure up, not with its front heavy balance, its double-action trigger pull, or its looks. Not interested in even knowing more about a Korth than could be determined upon handling one on an occasion.

Two of the Smith & Wesson N-Frame .357 Magnums live here, a 6-inch Model 27-2 purchased new and an early 1950s 3 1/2-inch. They're accurate in the extreme, shrug off the heaviest of .357 Magnum handloads such as used for hunting, and accurate double-action shot placement with them is like "drivin' a Cadillac."

#15 ·
The old pre-lock 27 has to be the best, the old Python the sexiest. I don't have any experience with the Korth, one out of 10,000 prolly hasn't even seen one. For shooting an old L-frame would be my preference but they're just not as nice as an old 27. I have to deem the 27 the best.

#17 · (Edited)
I've come to the conclusion that Ruger makes some very fine, in fact exquisite small boat anchors. The last two I've purchased were the nails in the coffin. If you open up a gun and there is as much machining remnants as there was in the brand new SP-101 it was never finished! It's fine for carrying around with snake shot, but that's about it...

If someone were to give me one of Ruger's SA revolvers in .41 Mag I might start looking for a good 'Smith to work it over but more likely I'd trade towards something better. I don't have the time to deal with their DA offerings. By the time you get done having someone tune it up so it's almost as smooth as a 19, 66 or 57 you'd have been better off getting something else.

Big, heavy castings or smaller, lighter forged parts (and a decent trigger and an absence of a bunch of milling machine debris!)? That's the choice...

I wish one of the Spaghetti Colt manufacturers would do something in .41, I'd be all over that!

If the Freedom Arms revolvers weren't limited to 5 rounds I would be more interested-it's .41 Mag guys, not something that makes rifle pressures for an X-frame!

I'll stick with the two digit model number or pre-number S&W's...

#27 ·
Yeah, well...put a handful of 4100 behind a 255gr LFNGC and talk to me about less recoil-H-110 was tame by comparison.

But yeah, with a 255gr bullet and Accurate 4100 velocities will slightly favor the .41-so much for being the "Middle Magnum"!

If anyone is interested in most of a pound of Accurate 4100...

#24 ·
The older colt python was rated for 200yd accuracy, heck I can’t see a target at 200 yds. But my ‘75 357 python had pin point accuracy at 100yds.
I like my ruger revolver because of no screws to come loose under magnum loads. Second it’s the s&w n frames.

#29 ·
I have owned or own at least one of all the revolvers listed by the OP with the exception of the 2020 Python. To make the list of premium double action revolvers complete, it would need to be amended for Korth and Manurhin MR73, as well as for Monson Dan Wesson revolvers.

The best? That depends on personal preferences.

#30 ·
I have several on the list...hard to beat model 19's! 586/686 pre locks are nice guns and I'm negotiating on a very clean model 27... As long as they sell gun safes I can "make space" in my search for the "best" revolver.

Would be hard to choose only one but a 19-7 Carry Comp is near perfection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.