1911Forum banner

OK I've had enough of this

5K views 41 replies 40 participants last post by  BrokenGrunt 
#1 ·
I have belonged to a shooting range for 40-50 years. The current rate is $200 per year which is a good rate for a first class range that maintains everything and makes improvements. However, I am really getting tired of people badgering me to take them as my guest. These are the people that make as much or more than I do (I'm retired so that isn't hard to do). Then they insist on going on Saturday or Sunday, you know, when shooters are shoulder to shoulder and constantly hollering hot and cold. My range has a rule that when my guest is shooting I don't. I have to stand back and monitor what they're doing. I am 80 years old so I really have to concentrate on what I'm doing to maintain my accuracy. I am always trying to improve and that's hard to do when I am babysitting somebody. I know that it is my unwritten responsibility to work with people and encourage them to exercise their 2d amendment rights, but damn I wish they would join up on their own nickle and their own time. Rant over.

#5 ·
I'm with everyone else here. In my opinion YOUR training comes first and foremost. I have the same problem here kinda. My range is in my backyard. People that might shoot a few times a year constantly want to come over on the weekends. My rule here is only one shooter at a time. And that really does take away my concentration. I just wish they would wait until I ask them if they want to join me.

#8 ·
The courteous thing for them to do is offer to pay for the ammo, or at least buy lunch afterwards. Something, anything even if it's just a token gesture. Unfortunately there are a lot of people these days who grew up on the wrong side of the 1960s and never learned the mannerly thing to do.

#9 ·
Your thoughts strike a cord.
In my family, you don't show up at someone's house without a gift. That should go double for when you ask for a favor.

to the OP:
If it becomes expected, it's no longer a favor.

#10 ·
OP...the only people that take advantage of you...are the ones that you let do it.

A simple NO, followed by...I like to concentrate and shoot alone...been doing it for 40 years and am not going to change my habit now. Sorry.

#11 ·
"sure, happy to take you..." followed by "Pick me up Tuesday (or whatever weekday you want to go) at ____am and we'll get breakfast on the way. Bring lots of 45acp- my membership, your ammo."

Either you'll shoot free or you won't be badgered anymore.

#14 ·
I’m a member of a nice outdoor range. We get two guest passes a year otherwise any guest pay full day rate of 20 bucks. They can however join me on member ranges which otherwise would be not available to them. My shooting buddies are all members so generally not an issue for me. Learn to say “no” pay the day fee or join as a member.

#15 · (Edited)
Free loaders who won’t spend a dime, not even lunch. Been there. They think my reloads are cheap. Decades ago the reloads were pennies a round. Then I watched the same guy buy 8 boxes of 30-06 new ammo. Ouch.

Then there’s the guy who wants to purchase a rifle with no paperwork. And there’s new ammo that costs over $1 k. The belted ammo is $75/20rds.

I don’t sell but I overheard the conversation. I been into this hobby for over five decades. I have reloading dies for most calibers. I purchased a bolt action 30-06 in ‘72 for $172 with scope, mounts, sling.

My cousin opened up a new state of the art indoor shooting range. He told me to come and shoot. I never took the offer. That’s not me.

#21 ·
I have fallen into that same trap. My standard answer for the past 10 years!

"I'll take you to my club, once, to see if you'd like to join. I hope you'll join"!

I give them an application and leave it at that! Only a few have chosen not to join!

Smiles,

#23 ·
I like this approach.

An elderly lady I know wanted to learn to shoot, so I asked my buddy with his own private range if I could bring her out. He said "Sure".

First time I took her out, I handed him an extra jug of Bourbon and said "Since I brought a Guest, I figured an extra "Range Fee" was in order.

The lady looked at me and said "Why didn't you tell me?" to which I replied, the first time is on me, any other time is on your own.

She's a "Regular" now, and brings the Range Owner a jug of Bourbon once a month, and also chips in on targets, supplies, etc and when we rebuilt the target stand, chipped in her share of the materials and helped do the grunt work.

As she's added a couple of interesting firearms to her growing "Collection", she's always willing to hand them off to the rest of us to try, just as all of us let her try various firearms we have so that she'd have an idea of what to buy for herself.

Interestingly enough, she's welcomed with open arms any time.

And as she puts it, she has a "Blast With The Boys".

#22 ·
We all have "friends" like that. Mine normally wouldn't give me the time of day.But now they want something so all of a sudden they are my best friend. They'll ask when are you going to the range again maybe we can get together. My feeling is you don't want to associate with me on a normal day what makes you think your my buddy on range day. GTFOH I don't tell them when I go, I just go.

#24 · (Edited)
Sounds like a First-World-Problem...

Look at the bright-side, at 80 years old you are blessed with a lot of friends...Best to be honest with them about your personal needs at the range, and maybe you can fit them in from time to time but at a MUCH-lower frequency (or not at all if that is what works for you). And if they are truly a Friend, they will understand.

God Bless you for making it to 80, and still shooting ta boot! Carry-on.

#29 ·
I've been a member of my club for 22yrs. It's a very nice 'country club' like place and very hard to get into. Capped membership and years long waiting list. A member has to die or otherwise give up their slot.
I always buy an optional guest pass when I renew my annual dues. I can only buy 1 and take 1 guest at a time. I'm very picky about who I tell and invite to come along.

#30 ·
I have a 150 yard range in my back pasture.

I used to let my two nephews that live in the area shoot there from time to time. I asked them to go up to the big pro 2A rally at the state capitol in January. And I know that both of them could have attended if they wanted to.

Neither one of them went. After that I told them that they were no longer welcome at my range. They got pretty bent about it. But I do not really care.

#31 ·
I didn't have much problem with that when I was with a club in CO. Part of it was that the
"only" time I had available was a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. That kept us from
being in the middle of the week-end crush (and I told them that).

Then you are not saying no, but since the only people that regularly have Tu, W, or Th
available are retired, it became a non issue. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.