1911Forum banner

Browning 1911's, or lack thereof

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  nakoa01 
#1 ·
I was wondering, why does the company that bears the name of its creator not make a .45cal 1911? I've seen the .380cal models, but this perplexes me. Does any have any theories?

#2 ·
Good question. Only theory I have is that their "marketing research" team determined they wouldn't make a profit doing so, for whatever reason. But if they were to ask me, I'd tell them it's a darn good idea and ask them, "What took you so long?"

Welcome to the 1911 Forum, scott30va!

#4 ·
Back when John Browning was above ground a deal was forged between FN and Colt over patents. The short story is that FN gets the 9mm High Power and Colt gets the 45acp 1911.

Now I don't know why they still don't do 1911 45acp's except that maybe FN is more involved with military contracts and the Worldwide market for 1911's is alot smaller than polymer 9mm's.

Also you do realize that Browning only sells things and never made anything especially weapons. All of the BHP's ever made are rebranded FN manufactured pistols. Rifles and shotguns are also made by other makers for the Browning marketing brand

#6 ·
These days Browning is more interested in selling boots, coats, and hunting knives than firearms. I doubt we'll ever see a full-sized 1911 from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.