1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 09:57 PM

HTC Vantage
Old 04-25-2019, 11:03 AM

There is a holster company on the net called DARA that will custom make you a holster for any pistol with attachments and put on Safariland SLS security. An employee of mine has one for uniform assignments that he uses for his P320 Vtac. Black basket weave finish too.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm4223 View Post
HTC Vantage
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2734 View Post
HaHa we already have STIs and I'm already poor
Is there some sort of inspection protocol or requirements to separate competition from duty when using STI for duty use at your agencies?

such as hammer hook height, trigger weight, etc.

or as long as they showed proficiency.... they were ok and competition models were allow?

are there only certain STI models allowed for duty carry?
Old 04-28-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
Is there some sort of inspection protocol or requirements to separate competition from duty when using STI for duty use at your agencies?

such as hammer hook height, trigger weight, etc.

or as long as they showed proficiency.... they were ok and competition models were allow?

are there only certain STI models allowed for duty carry?
All weapons have to be inspected and have certain specific features.

Minimum trigger pull 3.5 pounds, no brakes/ported barrels, certain other no no and requirements. I'm off medical leave but when I get back I'll get the specifics.

Also we found out a long time ago naming specific model numbers was a bad idea. Manufactures change models so fast we could not keep up with them. Instead guns/equipment must have or not have specific features.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:57 PM

what gets me is that our law enforcement and military need the best. When you have criminals, that have red dots, that increase the accuracy substantially. Why don't police have the same to combat that. Even if the individual police officers have to pay out of pocket, it would sure seem worth it. not only for the officer, but for innocent bystanders.

I have heard so many stories of officers shooting 100's of rounds, and the criminal gets hit once. Red dot sight, and a little work on trigger control, would pretty much cure that issue...
Old 06-12-2019, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2shoot View Post
Red dot sight, and a little work on trigger control, would pretty much cure that issue...
Not on a pistol.
The presentation has to be dialed in so that the dot is immediately visible in the window. Recoil has to be managed to keep track of the dot. Trigger control is sometimes harder with the dot because the mental trick to good trigger control is to ignore the wobble, and the dot makes the wobble more obvious.
It does have advantages, but it requires a significant amount of work to realize those advantages.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:38 PM

OK so back to work, desk duty only.

Colt, Kimber, SA, STI, Dan Wesson, Wilson, Sig. .40, .45, 9mm (STI 9mm ONLY). Frames steel, aluminum, ti. Rear cocking serrations required. No ports/brakes. Accessory rail must be an integral part of the frame. Blue, black, gray or satin stainless finish only. FDE and OD green not allowed after July 2018. Sights must be conventional post and notch type. NO GI MILITARY SIGHTS. Trigger 3.5 pounds or greater. Grip safety must be functional, with or without oversized pad. Mag release conventional or tactical, NO OVERSIZED releases allowed. Grips black, brown, gray or wood. NO LOGOS on grips other then factory.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Not on a pistol.
The presentation has to be dialed in so that the dot is immediately visible in the window. Recoil has to be managed to keep track of the dot. Trigger control is sometimes harder with the dot because the mental trick to good trigger control is to ignore the wobble, and the dot makes the wobble more obvious.
It does have advantages, but it requires a significant amount of work to realize those advantages.
Thank you. I just learned everything I wanted to know in four sentences that I could not figure out after reading about 10 pages on another forum!
Old 06-16-2019, 06:11 PM

Don't forget the cost of all those batteries. Personally I would never trust my life on something that needs a battery to work.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:24 PM

I picked up a Glock 23c at an auction a couple years ago. Although I have 2 - .40 cal barrels for it, I mostly use the 357SIG barrel. I sent off the slide to have it milled down and a Trijicon RMR installed and suppressor night sights added. It really helped with my cataracts. Since I have had my cataract surgery, it is even better. I made my own IWB holster out of Kydex and simply made sure there was enough clearance for the RMR. Later, I bought a Aliengear IWB holster and picked up a shell for the 23c also. After talking to Aliengear, I was able to use a Dremmel sanding disk and in about 30 seconds made enough clearance on the shell to properly fit without affecting any warranty from them. It was a good choice for this pistol in my opinion.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV 22 View Post
I can only speak to testing on Glocks. If you utilize a 9mm, there are slide mounted options that will last. Once you go to a .40, failure rates rise to an unacceptable level.
Could you explain why the .40 failures increase? Heavier recoil impulse?

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 10-13-2019, 07:16 PM

The working hypothesis is that it is the heavier recoil. The way I think of a .40 Glock is like that of a car engine that has been overbored. The gun was designed to run 9mm. The failure rates in all areas increase with a .40 Glock. An additional issue with a Glock compared to a 1911 is that the Glock has one spring to perform both recoil mitigation and loading functions. Therefore, some of the benefits 1911 users get by changing increasing mainspring and recoil spring weights cannot be achieved in the same way with a Glock. In addition, frame flex introduces a huge degree of variability in Glocks. I bring these points up because the simple answer of changing the recoil spring to decrease the slide violence is not such a simple answer.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2734 View Post
Yeah the Safariland is the only real option for uniform duty carry I've seen.
There are small companies out there who will make holsters that accommodate a red dot sight. I use a Ted Blocker Holster and will do so when my P Duo (in God's Caliber) arrives. I believe they can make any of their holsters to accommodate a red dot, as long as they know the gun's front sight height.

Here is my current Ted Blocker, which is the same model I will buy when the STI arrives in a couple months. I will be fitting a Leopold to the gun. Now I need to find mag pouches for it...

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 10-16-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:54 PM

Kevin

I know a number of guys and gals that use the Ted Blocker swivel, they seem to love it.

The issue is however cost and availability. Both put the Ted Blocker out of consideration for my department for an issue holster. It might be on option but the department would never buy them for us. We're talking a minimum or 300 per year, and that's without the anticipated hiring surge we're hearing about to get ready for the Olympics.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:55 PM

My specific agency has approved them for duty use on our own dime. We can have our personal guns milled to accept (such as my duty 1911) or we can buy guns that are factory setup for red dots. All the guys at my agency are using RMR's. My agency does not allow the city guns to be milled, but I am willing to bet in the near future we will be issued optic ready duty guns. One of our neighboring agencies just transitioned from issuing 1911's to issuing Glock MOS's 9mm with Aimpoint Acro's and weapon mounted lights.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:14 AM

FBI’s HRT uses them. FBI SWAT is next up. For the average Special Agent it may or may not happen, but won’t be soon.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:39 AM
Administrator

It is worth noting that HRT & SWAT tend to use their weapons offensively.