question about mass case lubrication - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 02:26 PM

question about mass case lubrication

I have around 1k once fired .223 cases and need to find a way to streamline lubing them.
the case lube i have on hand is the LEE brand Alox based type. so does anyone know of a way make application of this lube to a buttload cases easier than dobbing a small amount on each case by hand??

TIA
Old 05-22-2020, 02:49 PM

Google: "Reloading, make your own case lube"

I use anhydrous Lanolin oil mixed with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol mixed in a spray bottle, about one to two ounce to 20-32 ounces. (99% isopropyl alcohol is available at some hardware stores and pharmacies!) (80% alcohol is 20% water!)

You may be able to mix Alox case lube in a similar fashion.

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 05-22-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
I use anhydrous Lanolin mixed with 90+% Alcohol . . .
I'm about to mix up my first batch of this stuff. Do you clean the sprayer nozzle after you spritz a batch of brass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 05:56 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
I use OneShot spray from Hornady. 100 cases in a case block. Spray on each side of block, making sure to get a bit into the necks, allow to dry. I'll often do several blocks of cases like that, then once everything is all dry, I can really go to town on reloading them.

The nice thing about OneShot is that I don't have to do any followup cleaning to remove it like you do with oil/lanolin based sprays. I can easily load 500 rounds in one afternoon at a relatively leisurely pace.

Before anybody slams OneShot, if you follow directions and learn how to use it correctly, you'll never stick a case, despite all the negative BS you see about it on the various forums. I've loaded at least 10k rds using it and never even come close to sticking one. It also works quite nicely for light case forming jobs with wildcats.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-22-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
I use OneShot spray from Hornady.
I never used to use lube handgun cases but thought I'd give it a try beginning a few months ago. I dump a bunch of deprimed and cleaned brass into a small bucket, spray it all down, swirl and shake the brass around to distribute the lube, and let it dry over night. It makes the reloading process smoother than just running naked brass through the carbide sizer and taper crimp dies. Several thousand reloads since I started doing it this way and I'm satisfied with the results.

However, I'm going to stick with the lanolin/alcohol mix that jjfitch mentioned above for sizing .308 cases. I most definitely don't want to take the chance of sticking one of those cases in a die.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown View Post
I'm about to mix up my first batch of this stuff. Do you clean the sprayer nozzle after you spritz a batch of brass?
It's about like 2 cycle mix between 20 to 32 to 1. I haven't had to clean the spray nozzle.

It's not my formula it seems to have been published elsewhere years ago. I've been using it for at least 30 years. If the ratio is too lean you may get stuck cases, too rich and it's a pain to clean off. I like 32:1 and I can add another spritz to the batch of brass if it doesn't feel like enough between my fingers.

If the cases feel slippery they'll be fine.

Prior to that I was using lanolin grease on a felt pad. It still gets used for smaller batches.

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 05-22-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
I haven't had to clean the spray nozzle.
Good. One less thing to worry about.

I found the formula at the 6.5 Guys website. As you say, it seems to have been around for quite a while.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown View Post
Good. One less thing to worry about.

I found the formula at the 6.5 Guys website. As you say, it seems to have been around for quite a while.
It has indeed - I've been using it since the early 80's. I tried the Hornady One Shot case lube, but it didn't do as well in my books as the anhydrous lanolin mixed with alcohol. I use the lanolin for swaging jacketed bullets, it is only one of two things that work for that application. It really doesn't take much to do the job well.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-23-2020, 07:46 AM

Lee liquid Alox is a bullet lubricant not for use on cases. If you use it on brass cases you will have a real mess to clean up.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I use OneShot spray from Hornady. 100 cases in a case block. Spray on each side of block, making sure to get a bit into the necks, allow to dry. I'll often do several blocks of cases like that, then once everything is all dry, I can really go to town on reloading them.

The nice thing about OneShot is that I don't have to do any followup cleaning to remove it like you do with oil/lanolin based sprays. I can easily load 500 rounds in one afternoon at a relatively leisurely pace.

Before anybody slams OneShot, if you follow directions and learn how to use it correctly, you'll never stick a case, despite all the negative BS you see about it on the various forums. I've loaded at least 10k rds using it and never even come close to sticking one. It also works quite nicely for light case forming jobs with wildcats.
I agree with Rifter, hornady one shot only thing I use with rifle and pistol. Works great, I've Never had any problems with it. I've never understood people's complaints with it. And no need to clean it off.

Last edited by zito1553; 05-23-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zito1553 View Post
. . . Hornady one shot . . . no need to clean it off.
This was a big selling point for me.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:14 AM

I haven't found the cleaning step to be a negative. It's part of my QC! Whether I use One Shot or Dillon or the home made stuff.

I lay a towel on the carpeted floor. Lay out 50 +/- pieces and just roll them across the towel and in just a few seconds inspection and the bulk of lube is removed. Just a light coat is left to mitigate corrosion. My wife loves the fact that it also leaves my hands "silky smooth"! 's

Last edited by jjfitch; 05-23-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:31 AM

I just finished a batch of 10K LC 5.56 brass, I used Dillon spray lube which is lanolin and alcohol. I put them in a tub, gave it several squirts, shook it around and waited a half hour. Worked fine but I did clean them afterwards.
Never tried Oneshot but I'm skeptical about lubes that say you don't have to clean them off.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:45 AM
More Cowbell...

I use One Shot. It works excellent, if you use it correctly. You have to let it dry.

I am not a fan of getting lube inside case necks, but thats just me.

I tumble it off all my ammo when I am done. 10-15 minutes in the tumbler is all it takes. Clean brass also makes it easier to spot any issues like cracks when I am loading magazines and my hands dont get dirty.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:06 PM

I have been using the 12 to 1 mix. 12 oz of 99% Alcohol to 1 oz of Lanolin for years. Makes reloading 9MM and .45ACP brass very easy.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
I have around 1k once fired .223 cases and need to find a way to streamline lubing them.
the case lube i have on hand is the LEE brand Alox based type. so does anyone know of a way make application of this lube to a buttload cases easier than dobbing a small amount on each case by hand??

TIA
Lube for sizing?
Use one of the better sprays.
Make sure the solvent evaporates.

Sane if you make your own.

I prefer small cloth bags.
Cases in bag, liberally spray, tumble around in bag for a few minutes as the alcohol evaporates.
Start sizing.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Yes^^^^ I only use "One Shot" and have had excellent results with it. It's easy to use and aids in consistency of loading on a progressive press. Put about 100 9mm or .45acp in a one gallon plastic bag, give it a short spray that hits all the brass, shake it up for a few seconds and dump the brass on a mat of paper towels. When it's dry it's ready to go; I never had a problem with it.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by july19 View Post
Yes^^^^ I only use "One Shot" and have had excellent results with it. It's easy to use and aids in consistency of loading on a progressive press. Put about 100 9mm or .45acp in a one gallon plastic bag, give it a short spray that hits all the brass, shake it up for a few seconds and dump the brass on a mat of paper towels. When it's dry it's ready to go; I never had a problem with it.

A lot of people seem yo have a problems with reading the instructions.
You MUST wait for the alcohol to evaporate.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:35 PM

I use one shot. Fill a large zip lock baggy with cases spray one shot mix around and spray again, zip it up and agitate for a few min. Open bag and let evaporate. Ready to size.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:19 AM

Another vote for One Shot. Have used on well over 10K once fired LC 5.56 cases, never stuck a case. Also use on pistol brass even though using carbide dies. Spread single layer in reloading dedicated cookie sheet, quick spray to hit all cases, then dump into plastic bin for drying and storage in gallon zip lock bags until needed for loading.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:37 AM

Lay your cases flat in an old shoe box, and spray them with One Shot. Ezzy Pezzy...
Old 05-24-2020, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-1 View Post
Lay your cases flat in an old shoe box, and spray them with One Shot. Ezzy Pezzy...
This is the method I use.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-24-2020, 06:54 PM

First off, thanks for all the interest and input folks. I appreciate it.

(apologies if this is rude) But
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
A lot of people seem to have a problems with reading the instructions.
Have to say it's not just instructions folks have trouble reading.
based on the responses on every, single, forum, I have put this on, folks these days read like they listen, i.e. they listen/read to respond rather than to comprehend.

Sorry to all of you giving me your favorite other product or recipe for homemade lube. I know you're trying to help.

But, That's not what i was looking or asking for. I've got an abundance of LEE case lube and do not want to (read that as "will not") buy or make a different product at this time.

It's cool you're willing to share what works best for you.

But unless it's a way for me prep 1K+ .223 cases using Lee case lube, without having to smear each case by hand, it is of no utility to me at this time.
I'm looking for a way to use what I have on hand, and not have to spend an entire night sitting in the living room floor with two ammo cans, a tube of lube and a cardstock "palate", having to handle every case individually.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:56 PM
More Cowbell...

Lee Alox lube is not for cases.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
Lee Alox lube is not for cases.
Yeah I know, When i started the thread i got confused and typed the wrong Lee product name and unfortunately can't edit it now.

I meant their Case lube which is repackaged industrial deep draw lube

Last edited by Detritus; 05-24-2020 at 08:41 PM.