Best current GI type magazine - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 08:30 AM

Best current GI type magazine

I remember asking this years ago, but as I get back into the 1911A1 I was wondering if anything had changed.

What's the best GI type magazine to buy right now? Would NOS usgi mags be best? Current production 7 round checkmate mags?

Just looking for something reliable and accurate as far as finish etc. goes.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2020, 10:16 AM

Like many on the forum, we have all kinds. Over last couple of years, my go to 7 rounders are from Ed Brown. I've not checked lately, but these may be made for EB by Checkmate-check me on that though.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Scott View Post
Like many on the forum, we have all kinds. Over last couple of years, my go to 7 rounders are from Ed Brown. I've not checked lately, but these may be made for EB by Checkmate-check me on that though.
Looks like the Ed Brown have thick plastic base plates.

Really looking for something "historically" accurate to magazines issued during WWII

Were magazines blued or parked back then? I've owned checkmate in the past and I like that they are military contractors but they only sell blued mags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 11:38 AM

Colt or Metalform will do nicely
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
Colt or Metalform will do nicely
The reviews on the Colt mags is to not use with an A1 with 230grain ammo because they pop free from the spring.
And it doesn't look like Metalform makes a black all metal 7 round magazine (either stainless all metal or black with plastic plate)

Really just looking for the best magazine to use with a 1911A1 and standard 230 ball ammo

Last edited by comma; 05-22-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:03 PM

I use the Colt mags with the ball type feedlips and don't have inertia feed unless the lips are spread, damaged or spring is weak.

But I understand your wants. Try a Mecgar blued magazine. I use a couple of them and run fine.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:27 AM

As you mention in your OP, I think we've done this before and I'm still not completely clear what you're looking for.

Is it a period correct looking mag?

or

The best functioning mag to use with 230gr ball ammo.

I don't think the answer to each question would be the same mag.

If it is a functioning, period(ish) looking GI mag you want, the only mag I can think of that has GI feed lips is the CheckMate GI mag

Top Gun Supply https://www.topgunsupply.com/check-m...-magazine.html

Thunder Mountain Custom https://shop.1911parts.com/Check-Mat...M45-7-S-GI.htm

If you want a super reliable mag, I'm probably going to pick a Wilson 47, the 7 round full size mag.

Wilson 47 https://shopwilsoncombat.com/7-Round/products/370/
Old 05-23-2020, 08:34 AM

Let me add, if the CheckMate GI mags are not historically accurate enough for you, you're really rolling the dice on the reliability issue if you're finding something more realistic looking.

Anything more realistic looking than the CheckMate would probably be very old, and perhaps beat to heck, or a third world import that is made of inferior materials.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Let me add, if the CheckMate GI mags are not historically accurate enough for you, you're really rolling the dice on the reliability issue if you're finding something more realistic looking.

Anything more realistic looking than the CheckMate would probably be very old, and perhaps beat to heck, or a third world import that is made of inferior materials.
I too am a major fan of the Checkmate GI magazines, especially as they feed Federal hollowpoints very well.

I do not use anything else, ever.

Anecdote: someone wanted GI-marked Checkmate mags. I had gotten a few at a gun show some decades ago, and I said, I'll sell you mine... for the price of brand-new Checkmate replacements. Sure enough, he decided that was a grand idea, and I basically got back what I sold with no loss of function.

Tom
1918 Colt

Last edited by VetPsychWars; 05-23-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comma View Post
The reviews on the Colt mags is to not use with an A1 with 230grain ammo because they pop free from the spring.
Since Colt doesn't make magazines, if these are new production, chances are almost 100% they are made by CheckMate.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
And it doesn't look like Metalform makes a black all metal 7 round magazine (either stainless all metal or black with plastic plate)
Quote:

Really just looking for the best magazine to use with a 1911A1 and standard 230 ball ammo
I must have gotten the only blue mags they ever made, steel floor plate and all. Iíll take that on advisement.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:26 PM
Administrator

The latest Checkmates all made the new follower design, whether they be 7 or 8-rounders. The only difference between a 7 and 8-rounder is the spring.

Unfortunately I can't think of any quality manufacturers who still make 7-round GI mags with the classic follower design, tapered feed lips, five round-count holes and no fancy baseplate. Possibly Metalform, but I haven't seen any of their mags in recent years. Of course you can find so-called "GI surplus" mags online and at gun shows, but most of these are cheap knock-offs made in Asia that won't even work properly. Genuine WW2 and post-war era GI mags are still out there, and prices are still reasonable if you don't care if the finish is worn off or they've been Parkerized. All magazines made until the end of World War Two were blued. Parkerized ones are either post-war or have been arsenal refinished.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The latest Checkmates all made the new follower design, whether they be 7 or 8-rounders. The only difference between a 7 and 8-rounder is the spring.
CheckMate is proud of their CMF, but I'd be surprised if they didn't offer a model with the GI follower.

Admittedly, the link I gave to Top Gun Supply above, for the blued GI mag shows out of stock, but the stainless version is available with the GI follower and GI feed lips. https://www.topgunsupply.com/check-m...-magazine.html

It's certainly possible those are all old stock waiting to be moved, and CheckMate is now out of the business of making the design, but while possible, seems unlikely.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:30 PM

Checkmate does sell mags with the original follower. I just purchased 5 mags with
GI tapered feed lips and the original follower. They did come with the baseplate drilled for bumper pads. No one carries them so you have to purchase from Checkmate. Mine took 2 months to arrive
Old 05-24-2020, 09:43 PM

You will find some quite a few of the top magazine brands are made by only a few companies. Checkmate makes them for Kimber for sure, Colt, and some of the Wilson service mags. You will find them as OEM for plenty of gun makers as well.

Metalform and Mec-Gar have also been OEM makers for some gun companies. You can't really go wrong with any of them.

40 years ago you could buy cheap USGI surplus mags and count on getting real ones. Nowadays, you are getting imported junk with phony markings. Stay away no matter the price.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944