Doug Turnbull 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 11:02 PM

Doug Turnbull 1911

Just watched a show on TV. Anyone have one of these. I may be way be too late on these. What’s the review? Thanks
Old 05-21-2020, 11:04 PM

I know he’s a Master rifle guy.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:08 PM
Administrator

I assume you're talking about the reproduction M1911 his outfit sold a few years back? The overall build quality was excellent and the blued finish was fantastic, but there were several glaring historical inaccuracies in the way they were machined and assembled. If given the choice between a Turnbull 1911 and one of the M1911 replicas Colt made a decade ago I'd definitely take the Colt.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 11:19 PM

By almost all accounts, Doug Turnbull does great work. I know that's the case with one of my 1911s on which he applied the blueing.

But I suspect you're inquiring about an entire gun (1911) build rather than work performed on a pre-existing gun.

Only the limited number of actual buyers of those specific 1911s could provide a first-hand evaluation; and I'm not one of those.

But FWIW, the reason I wasn't a buyer (and it was a conscious decision) is that a reproduction is exactly that. A reproduction, not an original. For many people, self included, that is a huge distinction. IOW, I suspect that the people who bought those specific 1911s are happily "into" reproductions... and that's 100% fine and o.k.

But for those who aren't "into" reproductions, I suspect that most felt similarly to me...i.e., that they could get a better (per their own criteria) 1911 and/or a a more cost-effective (again per their own criteria) 1911 acquisition than the reproduction offered by Turnbull.

I do not doubt that Mr. Turnbull's reproduction was well made...I'd have little/no doubt as to that point, even without owning an example. But as one who doesn't particularly value reproductions (despite treasuring originals), those specific guns held little appeal for me. It's too obvious that it's neither an original nor (even) a gun built by the original builder.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 05-21-2020 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:50 PM

Are you talking about Doug Turnbull of Turnbull Restoration?

I'm facebook friends with him, he loves to fly his airplanes.

They sell restored old 1911's . Here's a few originals. They also make their own 1911's.

Their Charcoal Blue is my favorite finish, but I don't own one yet.

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/...l-restoration/

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/...1911-log-155c/

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/...og-1911tmc475/
Old 05-22-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldA1Guy View Post
Just watched a show on TV. Anyone have one of these. I may be way be too late on these. What’s the review? Thanks
I believe that Turnbull still puts out 1911 reproductions. Last time I went to their website, they still showed availability.

True, they are not 100% reproductions but unless one is a hard core collector, one would be hard pressed to tell the minor differences. Besides, since that it's not a Colt, it's already incorrect. It's not as though Colt's most recent M1911 reproduction were period correct either. So take it for what it is.

I got the Cabela special that came out quite a few years back. It's quite lovely to be seen and held. It might not be 100% reproduction but it's correct enough to give the shooter a nasty hammer bite. LOL.

I shot it beside my Colt ANVIII M1911 reproduction. They both shot about the same - not something to brag about. At least Colt and Turnbull kept the mediocre mechanical accuracy intact... Though to be fair, the smallish sights coupled with indoors lighting didn't make for a great shooting condition.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:22 AM

And yes, the Cabela special's charcoal blued finish was and is something to behold.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:36 AM

I've got one and I believe CA has one. It's a beautiful gun and I really don't care that it's a reproduction. In fact, I prefer it to my 1918 Colt Black Army. I'd sell the Colt before selling the Turnbull. Just like I'd prefer a restored 1963 Corvette (resto-mod) with a modern frame, modern suspension, and modern engine and transmission to an original 1963. Each to their own.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:54 AM

My LGS had 4 of them. It took them over a year to sell them. I was tempted, they were beautiful looking guns.

Last edited by sicilia mike; 05-22-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
And yes, the Cabela special's charcoal blued finish was and is something to behold.
I have one and it is beautiful. Also, has a good trigger and I shoot it well despite the tiny sights. The small historical inaccuracies don't bother me a bit.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:20 AM

I have one of the 1911’s that Turnbull built for Cabelas.
For whatever reason the CAB serial number lessens the value versus the regular Turnbull 1911 🥵
Attached Thumbnails
FE3FAB2A-040D-4BEE-94AE-D7B0C216D2F5.jpeg  
Old 05-22-2020, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Probably the best ones were when Turnbull teamed up with Remington to create a replica of a WW1-era Remington-UMC pistol. They still had the same authenticity flaws but the rollmarks were stunning.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Probably the best ones were when Turnbull teamed up with Remington to create a replica of a WW1-era Remington-UMC pistol. They still had the same authenticity flaws but the rollmarks were stunning.
I own one of these and the variations when I compared them to originals weren't THAT far off.

I'm going to shoot it soon!

Tom
1918 Colt
Old 05-22-2020, 03:53 PM

I have 2 Turn-bull guns as Brad mentioned above. They are both absolutly stunning georgous...

One is a 1911-45 replica c.a. WW1. This gun is hand fitter and actually quite the "tac-driver". It is only limited by the WW1 era sights on the thing...

The other gun is a Commander in 38s. It shoots real nice, I had them put Wilson combat battle-sights on it so it rocks and rolls. I can't say the build quality is on par with a WC (it doesn't have a supported ramped barrel for instance but I shoot hot loads with it just make sure they use really good brass. Once I shot some Buffalo Bore loads out of it and a few shells ruptured cracking both stocks in half), but then again, neither is the price :-)...As far as looks it will meet or exceed anything WC or any custom gun shop puts out.

Here is a pic of the Commander, hard to appreciate the majesty of a Turnbull-Blue finish with my $30 camera, but you get the idea. I had the small parts done it the nitrite (I think that is what it is called) finish also.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0487.JPG  
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 05-22-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
I have 2 Turn-bull guns as Brad mentioned above. They are both absolutly stunning georgous...

One is a 1911-45 replica c.a. WW1. This gun is hand fitter and actually quite the "tac-driver". It is only limited by the WW1 era sights on the thing...

The other gun is a Commander in 38s. It shoots real nice, I had them put Wilson combat battle-sights on it so it rocks and rolls. I can't say the build quality is on par with a WC (it doesn't have a supported ramped barrel for instance but I shoot hot loads with it just make sure they use really good brass. Once I shot some Buffalo Bore loads out of it and a few shells ruptured cracking both stocks in half), but then again, neither is the price :-)...As far as looks it will meet or exceed anything WC or any custom gun shop puts out.

Here is a pic of the Commander, hard to appreciate the majesty of a Turnbull-Blue finish with my $30 camera, but you get the idea. I had the small parts done it the nitrite (I think that is what it is called) finish also.
Your gun’s small parts were nitre blued, also known as fire blued. It was popular in the late 1890s and early 1900s to do small parts in fire blued finish. Not very durable but drop dead gorgeous.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:00 PM
Administrator

I wish Turnbull sold small parts separately. I'd really like to get a set of their repro grips as well as their medium-length blued steel trigger.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:07 PM

I figured anything he touched would be special.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:59 PM

What was the MSRP on the Turnbull repro? I wish NHC had gone with a blue finish on their Colt Series 70.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:11 PM
Administrator

At Cabelas I was seeing them for $1400 before they suddenly ended up on clearance for $999. At the lower price I was tempted to get one just for the halibut, but then decided it couldn't do anything my Colt replica couldn't plus the inaccuracies triggered my OCD.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:30 PM

Wow, if I'd seen 'em for 999, I'd have bought another one.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldA1Guy View Post
Is the TV show you're talking about called: The GunFather?

I believe I've seen him on it as well.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:51 AM

I got a Kimber done by him just cause it was pretty.
Attached Thumbnails
KimberCen6.jpg  
Old 05-23-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
At the lower price I was tempted to get one just for the halibut, but then decided it couldn't do anything my Colt replica couldn't plus the inaccuracies triggered my OCD.
That’s “CDO”...the letters MUST be in the correct order.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I wish Turnbull sold small parts separately. I'd really like to get a set of their repro grips as well as their medium-length blued steel trigger.
Wood Caliber is better. Just ask for the grips to not be finished and put your own tung oil on. They can actually supply Colt or Remington version....

(Yes, I know, if I can find them again I'll send them out.)

Tom
1918 Colt