1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-13-2020, 06:38 AM

Anyone try this .38 Super ammo...

https://www.surplusammo.com/categori...uper-ammo.html

Lists the velocity as 1375 with a 125 grain bullet...if that is the case would be pretty hot stuff...I would be happy if it was just in the 1300s...that would be real .38 Super ammo.

Says made in the USA also...

Bob
Old 05-13-2020, 06:46 AM

Yeah, I would run that through a chrony. Seems like a pretty high claim for not being +P. Itís Armscor after all.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:26 AM

I have not tried it and I have always avoided Armscor ammo, being convinced for whatever reason quality is sub par. I am going to have to revisit that, the reviews on the load you linked to are very good.

I'd like to see it chronographed though, I'm skeptical.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 09:31 AM

I have used Armscor components from time to time. I am unsure I have ever fired any of their ammo. No beef with their components.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:52 PM

I have never heard anything bad about Armscor. I'd have no problem getting a few boxes.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:40 AM

Letís get some reports on velocity back fellas!
One well placed review stating that a velocity check was performed will answer everyoneís question.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:04 PM

In '16 I bought some Armscor to try. I tried it in a Colt with factory 5" barrel. It was reliable, but otherwise unimpressive. It averaged 1130 Fps in the 5" barrel, and my notes indicate that it was the least accurate 38S ammo I shot that day. I did not buy anymore. But perhaps Armscor has changed that load significantly since I tested it...

I've found the GECO and Eley 124 grain actually do generate velocity similar to what Armscor claims. In one of my current Supers with 5" barrel, the GECO averaged approx. 1350 FPS, the Eley approx. 1390 FPS.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Yeah, I would run that through a chrony. Seems like a pretty high claim for not being +P. Itís Armscor after all.
+P is just a marking, as all .38 Super was intended as 'stout'...;the +P added by some makers later was quite redundant, and would be the equivalent of adding a +P to the tail end of .357 Magnum cases, if they shared the same case with the .38 Special..

Alas, many of today's .38 Super loads are right at 9x19 levels of velocity.

TIme to hit the reloading manuals with some loads w/ slower burning powders (AA7, Longshot, )

Were I buying stout factory ammo, it would be in JHP form, not FMJ. (Their claimed ballistics are at 171 PF, nicely claiming Major PF for Open Class shooters, perhaps? If velocities are accurate...; with my luck, I'd hit 164 PF for the eight shots in a row at a chrono'd match, and then 178 in the match with the rest!
Old 05-15-2020, 05:02 AM

I have not shot more than a couple hundred rounds of factory loaded Super in the now 40 years I have been shooting the round. Just wondering is this stuff is the real deal to recommend to people who shoot Super and don't reload. I have never even heard of the ELEY .38 Super ammo but I have read good reports on the GECO.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:59 AM

Both top level. The Eley Tenex (22 lr) is the flagship stuff.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:20 AM

I'm a Super nut too, and I no longer have time to reload so factory ammo that leaves the "super" in 38 Super always interests me. I'd like to see this chrono'd.

The Geco stuff is the real deal. But it's easy enough to find ball that is fast enough it's worth practicing with. Defensive ammo is another story. Underwood is great but they use comp brass so the rims are different than the ball stuff.

For carry ammo thus far I have mostly used the Sig Elite, it's a little better than 9mm and very high quality but I'd like to find something with more super in it for carry.

The 38 Super may single handedly push me back into loading.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:52 AM

I run a Hornady bullet # 35580.

It is a 147 grain XTP. On top of 7.4 grains of Blue dot. It is just the ticket out of my two supers. Great round IMO, but as many here have noted you need to load it yourself.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:27 AM

KC...I now carry the Underwood 90 grain Xtreme Defender....zero failures to extract or eject... Velocity is chronoed at 1560 from a Commander and 1650 from a 5"...

Have 9mm barrels in several of my Supers...no extraction problems have ever surfaced. All the extractors are stock Colt...
Old 05-23-2020, 10:16 AM

I am a huge fan of Underwood, but I wish they did not use comp brass. So far, I've not had any issues at all actually shooting Underwood, but with the smaller rim it won't hand cycle correctly. So in the highly unlikely event I was in a self defense situation and I had a malfunction, it would likely take several extra seconds to clear it. So that makes it a no go for carry ammo for me.

I am reluctant to do any extractor tuning for it as of course I am usually shooting semi-rimmed ball conventional Super ammo.

I've been fiddling with Super carry ammo, again, I've got some Corbon I've not shot yet, some Koenig I stumbled on, and I'll likely try some Double Tap as well. The Sig stuff is really good quality but it's not as warm as it could be.