Dan Wesson stock sights - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-12-2020, 07:27 AM

Dan Wesson stock sights

Received my new "old stock" 2016 Dan Wesson V-Bob. It has what I believe are the stock night sight. Question: what activates the sight, trigger pull? I do not see a glow, or any activity from the sight. Possible old stock with a dead sight? Your input is always helpful, and thanks in advance. [Could not find the proper "topic", to ask this question]
Old 05-12-2020, 08:13 AM

Being a '16 the sights are most likely good. Nothing activates them, they glow all the time, slowly dimming until about 12 years. I think what you are expecting is them to stand out in normal light, which they will not do. Go in a completely dark room and they should light up. If they are truly dead contact Dan Wesson, they should be covered under warranty.
In my opinion night sights are one of the biggest snake oils in the handgun world.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:13 AM

Darkness. And goblins.

Try them in a completely dark room. If any goblins are near they'll glow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2020, 09:24 AM

No goblins, and no glow. So when it sits in the case or dark container, the sight is always active?
Old 05-12-2020, 10:03 AM

Those would be Trijicon lamps. Give them a call and they should replace the vial under warranty. Reminder that we are currently closed.

I suggest shooting the gun to see if the sights are even the proper height for you or what you actually want on there.

Follow your owners manual for break in instructions.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:19 AM

THANKS KEITH!!!!! ...... layed it in the window in the Sun, for 2 hours - went in a dark room, the outer white ring became more visible.

Last edited by Bay Beagle; 05-12-2020 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Update correction
Old 05-12-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
In my opinion night sights are one of the biggest snake oils in the handgun world.
Agreed! I tried out night sights on a couple of DW pistols, outside and inside at dusk and at night. If the sights were visible the target wasn't and if the target was visible, the sights didn't glow. Furthermore, the big white dot takes away from the ability to focus on the front sight during daytime shoots. I mask out the glow dot with black paint and use a flashlight for night work.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:53 AM

I've switched to all front fiber optic fronts. Thin, .100 to .115. Plain black rears.

I have one .090 front fiber optic that's a tack driver with a .125 rear sight width. One Glock left with a front night sight only, but I find it a little slow in medium light.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Beagle View Post
THANKS KEITH!!!!! ...... layed it in the window in the Sun, for 2 hours - went in a dark room, the outer white ring became more visible.
The tritium vials in night sights glow all the time, in the daylight you can not see it. Phosphorescent paint is what is used on watches, and some gun sights. It absorbs light and remitts it over a few hours, usually a green glow. I can take my watch at night and shine a flashlight on it and it will glow fairly brightly.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:05 PM

Looking down the road, in regards to standard sights for the 2016 Vbob, 9mm. I may want to swap out the stock sight(s). Not necessary looking for "night sights", but more of a range sight, that stands out. I like the 3 dot idea, but never used one. Green, red, white, ......... for front and/or rear - your suggestions are greatly valued. I can do the research from your suggestions. As always ..... thanks!!!!!
Old 05-13-2020, 01:34 PM

3 dot sucks. No pistols should still come with it. It's completely obsolete.

Plain black rear sights are in. For competition, for defense.

Front sights can be anything, if the rear is plain black. Front night sight? Sure. Fiberoptic? Sure. Brass bead, plain black, black with a white dot, sure. All are fine. Front sight should never exceed .125 width. .100 is usually optimal.

Sight widths, depend on length of the gun, and intended purpose. .090 front / .125 rear, works excellent. .115/.150 for speed. .100/.140 for everything in between.

I prefer a thin fiber optic on the front of my pistol always. Red lamp for competition usually. Green for defense. I only have one single front night sight left, it'll be history soon enough. They're quickly becoming obsolete as well.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 05-13-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:33 PM

I agree with much of the above, fiber optic front and black rear. The eye picks up the front sight fast and the trigger finger follows. I can say from my LEO career that night sights are not what they are cracked up to be. In all of the officer involved night shootings I investigated I never had an officer say they saw/used their night sights. When adrenaline flows you are likely to look over your sights and shoot, so for self defense pretty useless in my opinion. For range use no need in daylight. If you are shooting a night course you may use them but how many night courses does one shoot?

Dawson Precision out of Texas sells some nice black rear and f/o front sets. They are so sure of themselves that if the first set isn't the required height they will replace the front sight with a correct height for free.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:37 PM

I’ve had several sets of Dawson sights can’t beat them. You can send slide and they will fit and install as well. I’ve done that on some also
Old 05-14-2020, 10:39 AM

THANKS!! - Your suggestions were on point. Waiting on the proper oil and gun cleaner from Amazon. Then the break in period, and from there, get acquainted with shot placement at 20 yards with the factory sights.
Reviewed the "Dawson" site, and understand their formula for sight measurement, if needed. Thanks again for Your valued input.

Last edited by Bay Beagle; 05-14-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:43 AM

Last edited by Bay Beagle; 05-14-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:01 PM

I've gotten rid of all but one fiber optic front sight and gone back to white dot tritium fronts. They are more useful for me across a broader spectrum of lighting. I use all black rears.

Or just paint the front sight.

https://civiliandefender.com/2016/04...vens-glock-35/

Last edited by Bradd D; 05-14-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
3 dot sucks. No pistols should still come with it. It's completely obsolete.

Plain black rear sights are in.
Or....... you could not follow what others think is “in”, and just pragmatically go with what works for you, your age, and your eyes. For many, that is still 3 dot sights. As always - YMMV.

geezer john
Old 05-17-2020, 11:29 PM

If you need night sights, it is too dark to identify your target. FO in the daytime is magnificent.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
If you need night sights, it is too dark to identify your target.
That is a myth.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post
That is a myth.
Yep.

I spent 10 years working straight nights and am a fan of night sights.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:29 AM

In my opinion nights sights have value, especially in law enforcement or other tactical situations. Sometimes it helps to know exactly where the front sight is without giving away your position. And yes you still need a light source available. I prefer a front night sight only with a standard black square rear sight.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:15 PM

I have always liked night sights and had them on all of my LE duty semi-autos. For me they performed well at night or in low light situations. My personal preference is the Novak rear bar and front dot. Line the dot up over the bar. Second would be the two different colors, yellow rear/green front, on the Wilson 3 dots that came on my CQB. If you are colorblind I don’t know if you could distinguish the difference.

Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen and is a beta emitter. It has a half life of 12 years, so after about 10 half lives it would no longer be radioactive. However after only 12 years just 50% of the material is producing luminescence, so it will be much more difficult to see.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Beagle View Post
lol

Night sights are basically glass vials filled with Tritium inserted into the steel sight. Tritium is a radioactive material which glows for about 12 years +/-. They always glow. They are not activated by sun/light like glow-in-the-dark paint. 2016 sights should glow bright in a dark room. Is it possible your DW didn't come with night sights?
Old 05-24-2020, 02:27 PM

Iv had terrible luck with DW nightsights . Yes called Keith .
Old 05-24-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
If you need night sights, it is too dark to identify your target. FO in the daytime is magnificent.
My experience has been just the opposite. In low light, like my living room at night with the lights off and the TV on, I can still see and identify whatever is 25 ft away in my kitchen and not be able to see my sights to line them up without night sights. With night sights I can line up my sights in low light where I can see and identify my target (but, not see my sights that do not have tritium inserts). During our low light qualifications you could hit your target much more accurately. And in qualifications in the dark (using hand held flashlights while I was one of the few that had a weapon mounted light) my qualification score was much better than all of those that were using hand held flashlights.

For those times when it is too dark to see and identify my target, that's when I use a weapon mounted light. Both are useful and both have their place for the time and places where they are designed. I'd rather have more options than less, especially when it comes to defending your life or a loved one's life.

Last edited by INV136; 05-24-2020 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Correction