Colt 6920s are back (If you can catch one at the right time) - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-05-2020, 03:19 PM

Colt 6920s are back (If you can catch one at the right time)

Arms unlimited has been getting in small batches of new 6920s in the last few weeks for $1100. Sorry to burst the bubble of the "Colt hates civilians" fan club.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:19 PM

They are doing exactly what they said they were, delaying production to complete other things and then bringing them back when caught up. But I’m sure some will see it otherwise.
COTEP#782
Old 05-05-2020, 04:20 PM

Nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2020, 05:31 PM

yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
They are doing exactly what they said they were, delaying production to complete other things and then bringing them back when caught up. But Iím sure some will see it otherwise.
Yup, well put. I never doubted Colt wouldn't get back in the civilian market, but who gives a f-------K anyway.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toes22 View Post
Yup, well put. I never doubted Colt wouldn't get back in the civilian market, but who gives a f-------K anyway.
A lot of people did a few months ago. CNN even made an outright fake news article titled "Gun company takes a stand."
Old 05-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Colt is not back in the civilian game. What you are seeing is pockets of old stock. Also, I’d be wary of places that are scooping up lower receivers and building them with whatever Milspec parts.

Colt left the civilian market because they don’t care. With the current state of market, they were unable to maintain the profit margin they WANTED. So instead of building a better rifle, they bowed out. This is why I appreciate places like Smith&Wessson. I remember when the M&P line was released. They sold fit between about $920-$1400, depending on features. NOW, they have adjusted their prices to coincide with the market. So now they are typically $650-$900 or so range.

I was never a 6920 fan to begin with. Don’t get me wrong, they are a solid platform. But they were never worth the inflated price. And I always knew the kind of company they were. I never have supported a company that turns it’s back to the public. Luckily, I build MUCH better ARs anyway. Any of us can.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
Colt is not back in the civilian game. What you are seeing is pockets of old stock. Also, Iíd be wary of places that are scooping up lower receivers and building them with whatever Milspec parts.

Colt left the civilian market because they donít care.
I mean, you're entitled to an opinion, but it's demonstrably false. It not only ignores what they did, but ignores what is happening now.

Either way, as Colt said, they're filling LE contracts. Arms Unlimited and a couple others are LE dealers that bought large batches in between other contracts. While American's have a wide selection of AR15's to choose from, overseas police/ military know "Colt" and there is little enough market for them at the price Colt's process requires them to charge.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Colt is not back in the civilian game. What you are seeing is pockets of old stock. Also, I’d be wary of places that are scooping up lower receivers and building them with whatever Milspec parts.

Colt left the civilian market because they don’t care. With the current state of market, they were unable to maintain the profit margin they WANTED. So instead of building a better rifle, they bowed out. This is why I appreciate places like Smith&Wessson. I remember when the M&P line was released. They sold fit between about $920-$1400, depending on features. NOW, they have adjusted their prices to coincide with the market. So now they are typically $650-$900 or so range.

I was never a 6920 fan to begin with. Don’t get me wrong, they are a solid platform. But they were never worth the inflated price. And I always knew the kind of company they were. I never have supported a company that turns it’s back to the public. Luckily, I build MUCH better ARs anyway. Any of us can.
Colt cut back production in October of 2019. There is no way they would have pockets of NOS guns left over this long. If these were NOS, Arms Unlimited would not be selling them at retail, but well above it like many sellers on gunbroker have been doing for the last few months.

Colt also still lists the 6920 on their website, that alone should tell you that they have no issue selling to us lowly civvies. I don't know why you brag about your abilities to build an AR. I could train a monkey to that with enough time and bananas. Sorry Colt hurt your feelings by doing something you only imagined them doing.

Last edited by FNHipowerluv; 05-15-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:47 PM

Maybe Colt should have trained monkeys to build their 6920 to keep it competitive.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toes22 View Post
Maybe Colt should have trained monkeys to build their 6920 to keep it competitive.
Sure, because that's what this country needs, more cheap garbage built with unskilled labor. We're so very low on that these days.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:10 PM

Whiners complained that Colt didn’t improve on the Mattel Toy like others.

Meanwhile the Colt Combat Unit Carbine and Trooper Patrol Carbine remained unsold.

Whiners complained that the LE6920 is too expensive and Colt not keeping up with the cost of the time when SW and Ruger put out economy models.

Meanwhile the Colt M4 Expanse remained unsold.

Colt finally got out of the market segment where they can’t move their products.

Whiners complained that Colt betrayed gun owners and the Second Amendment.

Lol.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
Colt cut back production in October of 2019. There is no way they would have pockets of NOS guns left over this long. If these were NOS, Arms Unlimited would not be selling them at retail, but well above it like many sellers on gunbroker have been doing for the last few months.

Colt also still lists the 6920 on their website, that alone should tell you that they have no issue selling to us lowly civvies. I don't know why you brag about your abilities to build an AR. I could train a monkey to that with enough time and bananas. Sorry Colt hurt your feelings by doing something you only imagined them doing.
Your attack on me and attempt at provocation is absolutely uncalled for. I’m simply giving my personal views on the matter.

I’m sorry that my Gunsmithing & firearms building ability is not up to your standard. However, I am 100% disabled, I am blind in one eye and my left arm/hand is completely paralyzed.

I build & perform repairs on many other firearms besides ARs. You are free to look up my BUILD THREAD HERE, building a 1911 in 2014/2015. (This was right after I spent two months in the hospital after nearly dying in an accident & being disabled) I also do several 80% guns including my current carry pistol. (A P80sc). I enjoy reloading and quite a bit of machining. (I make several gun parts and such) Oh, and I’m a custom Knifemaker.

So I’m not asking you to be impressed. I quite frankly don’t care. I feel blessed, and feel very lucky I’m able to do so much with one hand. I am impressed at what I’ve been able to do.

I’m sorry if I offended you in some way. Certainly wasn’t my intention. But your nastiness is just unwarranted. Take care.

Last edited by Dave Hoback; 05-15-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Your attack on me and attempt at provocation is absolutely uncalled for. Iím simply giving my personal views on the matter.

Iím sorry that my Gunsmithing & firearms building ability is not up to your standard. However, I am 100% disabled, I am blind in one eye and my left arm/hand is completely paralyzed.

I build & perform repairs on many other firearms besides ARs. You are free to look up my BUILD THREAD HERE, building a 1911 in 2014/2015. (This was right after I spent two months in the hospital after nearly dying in an accident & being disabled) I also do several 80% guns including my current carry pistol. (A P80sc). I enjoy reloading and quite a bit of machining. (I make several gun parts and such) Oh, and Iím a custom Knifemaker.

So Iím not asking you to be impressed. I quite frankly donít care. I feel blessed, and feel very lucky Iím able to do so much with one hand. I am impressed at what Iíve been able to do.

Iím sorry if I offended you in some way. Certainly wasnít my intention. But your nastiness is just unwarranted. Take care.
Sir, with all due respect my comment was a little snarky. I apologize for my immaturity while typing it. I just don't like it when people parrot the same nonsense that there is rock solid evidence against.

Good on you for finding a productive hobby in spite of your disabilities. Keep at it, it's a lot better than this whole internet thing.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Sir, with all due respect my comment was a little snarky. I apologize for my immaturity while typing it. I just don't like it when people parrot the same nonsense that there is rock solid evidence against.

Good on you for finding a productive hobby in spite of your disabilities. Keep at it, it's a lot better than this whole internet thing.
I understand. We are good. Please understand that anything I say is simply my feelings based on how I’ve learned things during my specific 20 year personal firearms career. I typically try to include the almost obligatory “IMHO” as so much of what we do is conjecture. “What’s good for the goose ain’t always so hot for the gander”, so to speak. It’s just impossible to understand someone’s tone through print.

But you have my word, something I never do is Quote another member and outright attack someone for their views. We are all entitled to opinions. And I will gladly listen to another’s and their provided evidence. Although I am human and if I am lured into an argument & rebuked first, I have lashed out at them in the past. There may be times we may simply have to agree to disagree. Which is absolutely ok. Take care.

Oh, BTW, my name is David.... Sir is my father’s name. J/k
Old 05-15-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I understand. We are good. Please understand that anything I say is simply my feelings based on how Iíve learned things during my specific 20 year personal firearms career. I typically try to include the almost obligatory ďIMHOĒ as so much of what we do is conjecture. ďWhatís good for the goose ainít always so hot for the ganderĒ, so to speak. Itís just impossible to understand someoneís tone through print.

But you have my word, something I never do is Quote another member and outright attack someone for their views. We are all entitled to opinions. And I will gladly listen to anotherís and their provided evidence. Although I am human and if I am lured into an argument & rebuked first, I have lashed out at them in the past. There may be times we may simply have to agree to disagree. Which is absolutely ok. Take care.

Oh, BTW, my name is David.... Sir is my fatherís name. J/k
Glad to see we're on level ground now David. I'll try to keep the snark to a minimum now. I never come here intending to attack anyone individually, I just get carried away from time to time.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Whiners complained that Colt didnít improve on the Mattel Toy like others.

Meanwhile the Colt Combat Unit Carbine and Trooper Patrol Carbine remained unsold.

Whiners complained that the LE6920 is too expensive and Colt not keeping up with the cost of the time when SW and Ruger put out economy models.

Meanwhile the Colt M4 Expanse remained unsold.

Colt finally got out of the market segment where they canít move their products.

Whiners complained that Colt betrayed gun owners and the Second Amendment.

Lol.
Yeah, I'm wondering how long it'll be before they discontinue the Python for lack of sales, followed by folks demanding they make more Python's because there's so much demand for them.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoceNoctum View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering how long it'll be before they discontinue the Python for lack of sales, followed by folks demanding they make more Python's because there's so much demand for them.
They shall never discontinue Sheriff Rickís trusty side arm.... NEVAH!

LOL, actually I much prefer S&W revolver actions. Trigger/Action tuning jobs are a pleasure on S&Ws.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:32 AM
Administrator

I have a simple solution for all the Colt haters out there: DON'T BUY ONE. Problem solved. If you think the 6920 is overpriced garbage or Colt is an evil entity run by the gun control groups, well, whatever. Just stop trashing gun companies because you don't like their products or their business model. There are people out there who still hate Ruger thanks to what Bill Sr. said and did, and those who will never buy a new Smith & Wesson with the Hillary Hole on it. And let's not forget the hot water that Springfield Armory found themselves in a year or two ago. The bottom line is, gun companies are like any other corporation, and profits and long-term sustainability are what matters. Because of that, volume sales like gov't/LE contracts will always be a higher priority than over-the-counter retail sales. Many of these companies have also looked at the bigger picture and realized the threat to their existence in the form of gun legislation and they either diversify by selling clothing and outdoor gear as well, or they make back-door deals with political leaders to avoid liability, or else they hunker down and go all-out pro-2A like we'd all like them to. Unfortunately it's usually the small companies like SCCY and MagPul who do the latter. The large corporations like Colt, Glock, SIG, and Smith & Wesson would gladly sell us gun owners down the river if it meant being able to stay in business making guns for the government.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:14 PM

I wish that they would bring their accurized rifle back.

I always meant to pick one up. But I just waited too long.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I have a simple solution for all the Colt haters out there: DON'T BUY ONE. Problem solved. If you think the 6920 is overpriced garbage or Colt is an evil entity run by the gun control groups, well, whatever. Just stop trashing gun companies because you don't like their products or their business model. There are people out there who still hate Ruger thanks to what Bill Sr. said and did, and those who will never buy a new Smith & Wesson with the Hillary Hole on it. And let's not forget the hot water that Springfield Armory found themselves in a year or two ago. The bottom line is, gun companies are like any other corporation, and profits and long-term sustainability are what matters. Because of that, volume sales like gov't/LE contracts will always be a higher priority than over-the-counter retail sales. Many of these companies have also looked at the bigger picture and realized the threat to their existence in the form of gun legislation and they either diversify by selling clothing and outdoor gear as well, or they make back-door deals with political leaders to avoid liability, or else they hunker down and go all-out pro-2A like we'd all like them to. Unfortunately it's usually the small companies like SCCY and MagPul who do the latter. The large corporations like Colt, Glock, SIG, and Smith & Wesson would gladly sell us gun owners down the river if it meant being able to stay in business making guns for the government.
Well said. And PRECISELY why I only build my own firearms these days. My my carry pistol...my ARs...my 1911(obviously), and my Bench Gun... all built from stripped receivers. 80% receivers in the case of ARs and my P80sc.

I wonít ever buy another manufacturerís gun the rest of my days. Good feeling not needing to ďASKď permission form to own a firearm!
Old 05-16-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Get a Delorean time machine, and go back to the year 2005. Colt likely never expected people to want more Pythons or revolvers in general, but recent sales trends say revolvers are far from dead. The bean counters at Colt wouldn't let anything be built that they didn't think could sell.

Last edited by FNHipowerluv; 05-16-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Colt is still backlogged on their Python production. If you're hoping it gets discontinued again you'll have to wait a few years.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Get a Delorean time machine, and go back to the year 2005. Colt likely never expected people to want more Pythons or revolvers in general, but recent sales trends say revolvers are far from dead. The bean counters at Colt wouldn't let anything be built that they didn't think could sell.
I worked at a gunshop when the Python Elite was out. Big splash with complaints about it not being like it used to be, then sales tapered off and stopped. Then it got discontinued due to lack of sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Colt is still backlogged on their Python production. If you're hoping it gets discontinued again you'll have to wait a few years.
Actually, I hope they keep making them for a long time and I may pick one up, though I'd rather get a the smaller frame one. No one stocks the stuff around here though, so it's hard to find samples to play with.

My point is more that people say they want X, but then when it's made they don't sell well for long. They're not getting discontinued for selling too many.

Some guns just have a limited market, even if the fans are very vocal.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:08 PM
Administrator

I remember something Ian on Forgotten Weapons once said about this very subject. He said it's one thing for people to say they want the manufacturer to make this or that. Problem is, as soon as the manufacturer finally releases it to market these would-be buyers always have an excuse, like "well, my cat has tonsillitis and needs a vet so I'll have to hold off buying one for awhile"...
Old 05-17-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
They Discontinued the original Python for a reason. Actually they discontinued the original King Cobra and Anaconda for the same reason too.

I think that had the reintroduced Cobra not sold well, there wouldnít have been a reintroduced King Cobra, and had the reintroduced King Cobra not sold well there wouldnít be a reintroduced Python.

I think that Colt May just have actually listened to market demand and played to their advantage. The new Classic 1911 is what people had been clamoring for: a series 70 basic gun that doesnít cost your left arm where people can keep as is or send to custom shop.