1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 06:28 AM

1911 from 1913 - opinions needed

Hi everyone

There is this 1913 built 1911 for sale locally here in Switzerland. Those very old 1911 donít come up for sale often in my country, so I will take a look at it.

Photos are not great, but I will have a chance to see it in person next week I think.

Asking price is $2500 but itís negotiable. The cheapest 1911 A1 go for $2000 here nowadays.

I am not sure if the finish is gone and itís in the white or if itís too much lightning and reflection from some indoor lightning.

Edit, seller tells me the finish is pretty much gone.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by CLASSIC12; 07-31-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:53 AM

Also in my country nice 1911s are darn expensive and the quality found on the market leaves a lot to be desired, but to me 2,500 $ or its equivalent for a gun totally without finish like that it's not a bargain I think.
Personally I'd probably save my money and wait for a better opportunity to come along.

Last edited by Sergio Natali; 07-31-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:20 AM

The metal surface appears in good condition. Also be sure to check if the barrel is correct to the pistol and there are some small parts with difference than later production (for example recoil spring guide).

I like early production 1911 and it's getting rare to find. Cannot comment on the price specific to your region. But since the finish is gone, you have to price it as poor condition and see if the asking price make sense in your country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 10:35 AM
Administrator

It looks like somebody intentionally took off the finish on that one. It's a shame because it looks correct otherwise (assuming the barrel is as well).
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It looks like somebody intentionally took off the finish on that one. It's a shame because it looks correct otherwise (assuming the barrel is as well).
Would you, could you, blue over the top of it as a protective measure, without affecting its value too much?

Tom
1918 Colt
Old 07-31-2020, 11:35 AM

I agree the finish appears to have been intentionally removed as the grips do not support that much wear and the grip screws also are without finish. This is what a well used 1911 should look like:
Attached Thumbnails
33BA065F-1186-4FEE-AA1C-A988A275E607.jpeg  
Old 07-31-2020, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
Would you, could you, blue over the top of it as a protective measure, without affecting its value too much?

Tom
To a collector this pistol has 0% remaining original finish. If it were reblued it would still be 0% remaining original finish, so the value would likely remain the same assuming the refinisher didn't hurt the metal beyond what has already been done. If this pistol were in the USA, being a 1913 example it would likely end up with Doug Turnbull for a decent restoration. That would improve the value, but possibly not equal to the cost of the work.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:34 PM

I agree with the others that have stated that it appears that whatever was left of the original finish, has been intentionally removed. Like dsk said, it's a shame, since it looks like a nice pistol otherwise. That being said, I wouldn't mind owning it, as long as the price was decent. I know I would sure like to have the grips to put on my 1912. Best of luck!
Old 07-31-2020, 07:23 PM
Administrator

I once had a Colt from January 1913. Probably 95% condition. Sold it for $3000. What a dope.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:58 AM

I guess that it was sanded lightly to remove oxidation, dark spots, etc. If there ever was a candidate for a proper restoration ($2500), that would be it, but added to the purchase price it would never be worth that much. However, it would make for an amazing pistol to own and admire if you were so-inclined.
An alternate method would be to have it 'rust-blued' without any further sanding or other preparation - this would leave the steel surfaces exactly as they are now except a nice dusky-blue satin color. The grips are good enough to stay and could be cleaned up a little with Naptha and a toothbrush.