Update: Missouri AG dismisses case against couple who defended their home - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-29-2020, 12:00 PM

Update: Missouri AG dismisses case against couple who defended their home

Original thread:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1019836

Update: Missouri AG dismisses case against couple who defended their home from mob of protestors.

https://m.theliontimes.com/politics/...shing-gun.html

Good for him. They had better thank their lucky charms the higher ups in that state are Republicans who still believe in the rule of law.
COTEP#782
Old 07-29-2020, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

I truly wonder if this will wake that couple up as to what the left is trying to do in this country?

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 07-29-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
I truly wonder if this will wake that couple up as to what the left is trying to do in this country?
I know and I think many here know lots of folks who’ve ‘seen the light’ recently and gone out to buy guns. These are people who have told me I’m crazy, I’m a nut, I don’t need guns blah blah blah and now they are the ones coming to me for advise on guns and ammo. I only hope their smart enough to know the side they’ve supported all these years would strip them of the ability to buy these guns they’ve recently acquired. Even if half the new gun owners convert over to republican that’s a huge number.
In the case of this couple a liberal prosecutor and media have vilified them. I hope this experience changes their political views and they go right instead of left.
COTEP#782
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 02:46 PM
Administrator

So is he going to get his Colt AR15A2 back?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
So is he going to get his Colt AR15A2 back?
Why wouldn’t he? Per his own words the police who took it were sympathetic to him. I think he’ll have it back soon. And the good news is the prosecutors office ‘fixed’ his wife’s gun and made it work for her too!
COTEP#782
Old 07-29-2020, 03:43 PM

I hope so...What is the process, that was written 8 days ago it isn't new info, is his dismissal "in fact" (is the AG's desire final) or does it go through some legal-administrative steps or in front of a judge?...Tucker C. is still discussing this case as if it isn't a closed deal.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 07-29-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Why wouldn’t he? Per his own words the police who took it were sympathetic to him. I think he’ll have it back soon. And the good news is the prosecutors office ‘fixed’ his wife’s gun and made it work for her too!
Maybe they will return it with a Bumpstock, for his trouble. Seems fair.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Maybe they will return it with a Bumpstock, for his trouble. Seems fair.
And a case of ammo since he didn’t have any.
COTEP#782
Old 07-29-2020, 04:16 PM

It appears that someone has some common sense and bigoted black female prosecutor should be shown the door and disbarred.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Did you notice our Governor, Mike Parsons, said he was going to pardon them if convicted? Isn't it refreshing when our elected officials uphold the law. Mike is running for re-election and the "polls" have him slightly behind. He's taken a lot of heat over some of his covid decisions.

NRA Life Member
Old 07-30-2020, 08:05 AM

my doctor said that since the beginning of time people have got sick and got well and at least 98 percent of the people that have been infected with Covid-19 have got well. I think it's doubtful that anything that has been done has affected that. What we have learned from this is that the CDC doesn't know jack and should be eliminated, de-funded. They cost a great deal of tax payer money yearly.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Did you notice our Governor, Mike Parsons, said he was going to pardon them if convicted? Isn't it refreshing when our elected officials uphold the law. Mike is running for re-election and the "polls" have him slightly behind. He's taken a lot of heat over some of his covid decisions.

Where is the double "Like" button.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:09 PM

Good.

I hope and/or wish that a rebuke with real, lasting substance behind it can be delivered to the "woke" St. Louis prosecutor who lied like a dog in her petition/charges filing.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 07-30-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Good.

I hope and/or wish that a rebuke with real, lasting substance behind it can be delivered to the "woke" St. Louis prosecutor who lied like a dog in her petition/charges filing.
We call that disbarment and a hanging.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:52 PM

I hope this is the end of the charges against them. Then the couple can get on with their civil rights lawsuit against the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
I know and I think many here know lots of folks who’ve ‘seen the light’ recently and gone out to buy guns. These are people who have told me I’m crazy, I’m a nut, I don’t need guns blah blah blah and now they are the ones coming to me for advise on guns and ammo.
I know isn't it awesome, how many times have i been called a gun nut.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring1911 View Post
I hope this is the end of the charges against them. Then the couple can get on with their civil rights lawsuit against the city.

I know isn't it awesome, how many times have i been called a gun nut.
As an instructor, both for NRA and non-NRA classes, I have seen a serious uptick in first-time gun owners coming to classes to learn about their guns. This is a very good thing IMO!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 07-30-2020, 09:11 PM

Disbarment seems unnecessarily cruel

Quote:
Originally Posted by longarm View Post
We call that disbarment and a hanging.
Disbarment seems unnecessarily cruel, don't you think? Besides, it would disappoint Bill.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Good.

The biggest hindrance in this country's legal system is that prosecutors enjoy 100% immunity for liability lawsuits arising out of malice. You can't sue them for malicious prosecution, no matter how much evidence you have that they acted out of political malice. The US Supreme court made that decision decades ago in order to avoid criminals from suing prosecutors and it makes sense.

But the unintended consequence is that you have these elected state prosecutors that act out of political motivation, rather than facts and the law.

But they can be disbarred if the Bar association determines there is misconduct. This woman I think is deserving of a misconduct disbarment.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:45 PM

Local St. Louis prosecutor goes to the gallows WHEN?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:48 PM
Administrator

According to this news article the charges are still pending as of July 30: https://fox4kc.com/news/missouri-law...at-protesters/
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 07-31-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
According to this news article the charges are still pending as of July 30: https://fox4kc.com/news/missouri-law...at-protesters/
Hmmm?

Can he just tell her to drop the charges as her higher up?
Or is the state AG gonna have to take a local prosecutor to court themselves to sort it out?
COTEP#782
Old 08-01-2020, 11:46 AM

This has become so highly controversial & politicized that it's nearly impossible to research anything solid on this case. The "Web is loaded with conflicting "evidence" It's a mess.

Earlier I said that I don't think the "juice is worth the squeeze" on prosecuting the couple. Now it looks even more so.

Because one of the ways DA's enhance their conviction rate is by choosing & pursuing easily winnable cases. This one is clearly anything but.

A lawyered-up lawyer with infinite resources as a defendant combined with only a relatively minor conviction realistically achievable, I say phooey, let it go.

There are more important & more easily (cheaply) winnable cases on the docket than this one. Actual murders & such.

Downside is, of course, that the optics of backing off will look like exactly what it is:

Rich Lawyer let go for what a poor person would be forced into taking a plea deal on.

That looks bad.

Btw, if this WAS a low net worth couple with no legal team, who did this same thing in their "Private property" HOA Grounds ---------- trailer park--------- community they would probably face charges.

Then the DA would probably offer a deal where they plead to a misdemeanor in exchange for a suspended sentence / no time served & completion of community service or an anger management class.

I don't believe that her previous brandishing on her neighbor resulted in a conviction so I don't think it can be used as a prior.

Bottom line: The DA is going to look bad (either favoring elites or persecuting innocents) no matter what direction is taken.

So might as well take the cheaper route: Let 'em go.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
This has become so highly controversial & politicized that it's nearly impossible to research anything solid on this case. The "Web is loaded with conflicting "evidence" It's a mess.

Earlier I said that I don't think the "juice is worth the squeeze" on prosecuting the couple. Now it looks even more so.

Because one of the ways DA's enhance their conviction rate is by choosing & pursuing easily winnable cases. This one is clearly anything but.

A lawyered-up lawyer with infinite resources as a defendant combined with only a relatively minor conviction realistically achievable, I say phooey, let it go.

There are more important & more easily (cheaply) winnable cases on the docket than this one. Actual murders & such.

Downside is, of course, that the optics of backing off will look like exactly what it is:

Rich Lawyer let go for what a poor person would be forced into taking a plea deal on.

That looks bad.

Btw, if this WAS a low net worth couple with no legal team, who did this same thing in their "Private property" HOA Grounds ---------- trailer park--------- community they would probably face charges.

Then the DA would probably offer a deal where they plead to a misdemeanor in exchange for a suspended sentence / no time served & completion of community service or an anger management class.

I don't believe that her previous brandishing on her neighbor resulted in a conviction so I don't think it can be used as a prior.

Bottom line: The DA is going to look bad (either favoring elites or persecuting innocents) no matter what direction is taken.

So might as well take the cheaper route: Let 'em go.
I disagree. I think no matter who they are the state AG and governor would be defending them and doing the same. Also I think if they were not as well off some atty office would be representing them pro bono based on principle.
COTEP#782
Old 08-01-2020, 12:20 PM

Maybe. But that doesn't change much. Either way they would still probably take a deal.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:22 PM

This wasn't the crime of the century here. And there's boatloads of grey area too.

I think that it's just not worth it.