Number of Reloaders? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-28-2020, 10:40 PM
tractor tractor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NE FL
Posts: 1,446
Number of Reloaders?

Anyone have any reliable figures as to the number of gun owners who reload? Thereís enough of us to keep the major companies (Blue, Red and Green) in business plus all the component manufacturers and suppliers, so we collectively have to be a large number. Iím just curious as to how large a population we are. Anyone hazard a guess or have a source for more reliable numbers? One million, five million, ten million?
Thanks.
__________________
"Your other left........"

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-28-2020, 10:45 PM
flechero flechero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 3,310
About 10X the number that would admit to it in a survey.

Nitro will come along and say 1/20 of that, but they are smarter and buy up inventory more effectively than factory ammo shooters to ride the supply waves!
__________________
-flechero
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-28-2020, 10:53 PM
Nork1911A1 Nork1911A1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kentucky, near Ft Knox
Age: 61
Posts: 3,534
Count the number of people that complain about no ammo being available.
Multiply by 100, maybe 1000. Maybe more.

We don't complain about no ammo being available. we've got plenty.
__________________

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-29-2020, 02:16 AM
Snoopy47 Snoopy47 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,659
I presume it's getting larger in California more than anywhere else.

To buy ammo now, one needs to do a background, and the only way to clear a background is to actually own a gun registered in CA and not pop for a criminal check.

Or, one can reload without any check (for now). Just waiting for the reloading shoe to drop on reloaders being prohibited from powder and primers without some additional hassle.
__________________
Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-29-2020, 06:54 AM
Nitro.45 Nitro.45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
About 10X the number that would admit to it in a survey.

Nitro will come along and say 1/20 of that, but they are smarter and buy up inventory more effectively than factory ammo shooters to ride the supply waves!
Shhhhhhtttt! Yer gonna ruin the game man!
That tidbit gets out and Feinstein will refocus her minions! Itís kind of under the radar right now I believe. The California comment is probably true though....thatís a danger because they ban anything and everything if it doesnít look like fruit or nuts.
Now, if you donít mind, I will excuse myself and go and count my warehouse full of components!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-29-2020, 07:04 AM
RetiredRod's Avatar
RetiredRod RetiredRod is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 14,442
How's this for some complete wild-ass guessing?

I seem to recall reading that there's about 300 million guns owned in the U.S. So maybe that would be about 100 million gun owners? If 5% reloaded some of the ammo they shoot, that would be about 5 million reloaders. I have no idea if that's even in the ballpark, but I love guessing games.

It's too bad that we don't have any equipment or component rep's that post on this Forum. I wonder if Dillon or Lee or Hornady might have a clue about the number of reloaders.
__________________


NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-29-2020, 08:13 AM
flechero flechero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 3,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
It's too bad that we don't have any equipment or component rep's that post on this Forum. I wonder if Dillon or Lee or Hornady might have a clue about the number of reloaders.
Marketing is a sophisticated game, I bet they have a pretty good feel for the numbers and relative market share in each segment.
__________________
-flechero
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-29-2020, 09:19 AM
RodII RodII is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 554
Just my opinion, but I think the percentage of shooters who reload is small. I frequent a outdoor range and sometimes a indoor range in a rural/small town area and almost never see anyone but me pick up their brass.
__________________
NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-29-2020, 09:52 AM
longarm longarm is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: SE Wa
Posts: 389
Hey, look! I can only crawl around snatching brass so fast!

I try to come home with more than I left with, but the carbine throws them out into the range ;-)
__________________
==============================
30-06, 45acp, 9mm
"Unintended Consequences"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-29-2020, 02:55 PM
flechero flechero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 3,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by longarm View Post
Hey, look! I can only crawl around snatching brass so fast!

I try to come home with more than I left with, but the carbine throws them out into the range ;-)
We'll have to start calling you shortarm! Or you can bring a rake with you and pull brass back to the line without crossing it
__________________
-flechero

Last edited by flechero; 07-29-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-29-2020, 04:30 PM
longarm longarm is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: SE Wa
Posts: 389
That's the OTHER use for the big ol' squeege-widget they use there. ;-)
__________________
==============================
30-06, 45acp, 9mm
"Unintended Consequences"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-29-2020, 06:27 PM
Pariah Zero Pariah Zero is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Intermountain West USA
Age: 42
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodII View Post
Just my opinion, but I think the percentage of shooters who reload is small. I frequent a outdoor range and sometimes a indoor range in a rural/small town area and almost never see anyone but me pick up their brass.

I had a neighborhood get together where 40-50 of us went shooting in the nearby desert.

I was the only one collecting brass; I heard comments like ďI like reloaders... you keep the ammo cheap for the rest of us.Ē Iím not sure I follow that logic...

Sadly, nobody else shot .45 auto, so I didnít leave with as many cases as I arrived with...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-29-2020, 06:56 PM
july19 july19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NW Washington, the San Juans
Posts: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah Zero View Post
I had a neighborhood get together where 40-50 of us went shooting in the nearby desert.

I was the only one collecting brass; I heard comments like ďI like reloaders... you keep the ammo cheap for the rest of us.Ē Iím not sure I follow that logic...

Sadly, nobody else shot .45 auto, so I didnít leave with as many cases as I arrived with...
If you want free brass buy a 9X19 pistol or rifle, youíll soon have thousands of cases of cases.
__________________

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-29-2020, 08:43 PM
KYPistolMan KYPistolMan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Kentucky
Age: 61
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodII View Post
Just my opinion, but I think the percentage of shooters who reload is small. I frequent a outdoor range and sometimes a indoor range in a rural/small town area and almost never see anyone but me pick up their brass.
I tend to agree. Iím just about only one that picks up their own brass at the range.

However, I do know a number of hunters that reload, but only for the ammo they go hunting with and not a large quantity.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-29-2020, 10:57 PM
OS1880 OS1880 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sebastian, Fl
Age: 69
Posts: 207
I don't see to many picking up the brass at the range. They sweep it up and into a barrel it goes. If you don't pick up your own brass it now becomes property of the county. And they will not let you pick anything from those barrels. Everytime I go there I'm the only one picking up his brass and saving it. The RO's won't even let you solicit other shooters for their brass. But I understand the money they receive from the scrap brass is put right back into repairs for the range.
__________________
USN (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-30-2020, 06:30 AM
cavelamb cavelamb is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Heart of Texas
Posts: 3,650
The range I use gives me permission to harvest all the brass I can take.
So I don't "pick up" when I'm there to shoot.

But I do make a trip now and then with a bucket and case sorter.
__________________
-
NRA Life Member - NRA RSO - NRA Pistol Instructor
Texas State Rifle Assoc. - Gun Owners of America
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-30-2020, 06:47 AM
Nitro.45 Nitro.45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
How's this for some complete wild-ass guessing?

I seem to recall reading that there's about 300 million guns owned in the U.S. So maybe that would be about 100 million gun owners? If 5% reloaded some of the ammo they shoot, that would be about 5 million reloaders. I have no idea if that's even in the ballpark, but I love guessing games.

It's too bad that we don't have any equipment or component rep's that post on this Forum. I wonder if Dillon or Lee or Hornady might have a clue about the number of reloaders.
Hereís a bit more food for thought.
A 2018 survey showed almost 400M firearms in the possession of private citizens in the US. Recent applications for new gun owners has skyrocketed and states like commiefornia and illinoise require a strip search to buy ammo. Add that to the wiped out shelves (again) and I would imagine more and more folks will look toward reloading. I actually think that all of this insanity going on today is helping the 2A cause. These protesters are bringing back the Wild West and people want to make sure they can protect their own. Itís a sad way to go about getting support, but fear has a tendency to bring sane people to their senses.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-30-2020, 07:30 AM
RetiredRod's Avatar
RetiredRod RetiredRod is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 14,442
I shoot about 3X a week at a Bass Pro indoor range. The range has 5 shooting stations but because of the virus, they only allow shooters in lanes 1,3 & 5. Based on what I've observed in the last 3 months, about 1/3 of the shooters collect their brass. They're all old-timer "gun guys" like me. The (apparently) new gun owners/shooters buy 2-4 boxes of ammo & 1 target and blast away @ 7 yards. And leave their brass lying where it falls. One of the range rules says to use the squeegee and push the brass forward of the firing line, but very few do that. I'm allowed to pick up all the brass I want behind the firing line. I always go home with more than I brought.

OK, back on topic. Based on my completely un-scientific observation, I'd say 1/3 of shooters are reloaders. So, using Nitro's 400M privately owned guns, my math yields about 60 million reloaders.
__________________


NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-30-2020, 07:48 AM
glider glider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,967
How many guns are owned and how many gun owners there are is two different things. I would guess [ there's that word again ] that the average gun owner has at least 4 guns. Unless somebody that actually has some knowledge on the subject speaks up we won't have any idea.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-30-2020, 09:31 AM
BrokenGrunt's Avatar
BrokenGrunt BrokenGrunt is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East of Dallas
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
OK, back on topic. Based on my completely un-scientific observation, I'd say 1/3 of shooters are reloaders. So, using Nitro's 400M privately owned guns, my math yields about 60 million reloaders.
Not even close. I'd say that even 10% is too high.

I know a LOT of shooters, not just people who go to the range once a year, but people who shoot 2-3 times a week.

Of those very active shooters about 15% are reloaders. We're talking people in the top 10% of shooters here.

Of the remaining 90% of shooters the number that reload is maybe 2-3%.

Just look at the number of places you can buy ammo versus the number of places you can buy reloading gear.
__________________
Semper Fi till the day I die.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-30-2020, 11:32 AM
tractor tractor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NE FL
Posts: 1,446
Well, the answer to my question seems to be all over the place. So I did a quick google search for just Dillon to find any financial/annual report. They are a privately owned business, so I could not find much detail, but Forbes list them as a Aerospace Defense business (general classification heading) with an annual revenue of between $50M-$100M with between 100-500 employees. That’s just Dillon at +$50M annually. There’s RCBS, Hornady and Lee plus many others making reloading presses. Then there’s all the components manufacturers.
If the other “Big Three” were making half of what Dillon reportedly makes (on the low end) that’s $125M annually - and that’s a lot of reloaders.
They are staying in business because it’s profitable.
There maybe more of us out there then we think.
__________________
"Your other left........"

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."

Last edited by tractor; 07-30-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-30-2020, 12:38 PM
DesertRat9 DesertRat9 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Southern AZ
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork1911A1 View Post
We don't complain about no ammo being available. we've got plenty.
No we don't. We complain about the components being not available.
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - W Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-30-2020, 12:55 PM
RodII RodII is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor View Post
Well, the answer to my question seems to be all over the place. So I did a quick google search for just Dillon to find any financial/annual report. They are a privately owned business, so I could not find much detail, but Forbes list them as a Aerospace Defense business (general classification heading) with an annual revenue of between $50M-$100M with between 100-500 employees. That’s just Dillon at +$50M annually. There’s RCBS, Hornady and Lee plus many others making reloading presses. Then there’s all the components manufacturers.
If the other “Big Three” were making half of what Dillon reportedly makes (on the low end) that’s $125M annually - and that’s a lot of reloaders.
They are staying in business because it’s profitable.
There maybe more of us out there then we think.
Dillon does a lot more than reloading equipment. The Blue Press catalog has bullets, holsters, and various other gear. Also DillonAero is a defense contractor, they make and sell weapon systems. I do not know for sure but I bet their sales are included in Dillon Precisions sales, hence the Aerospace Defense Contractor.
__________________
NRA Life Member

Last edited by RodII; 07-30-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-30-2020, 02:20 PM
RetiredRod's Avatar
RetiredRod RetiredRod is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 14,442
At the range today I asked the attendant his opinion of how many shooters that use the range are reloaders. He opined “about 1/3”. More opinion & anecdotal info.
__________________


NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-30-2020, 03:21 PM
BrokenGrunt's Avatar
BrokenGrunt BrokenGrunt is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East of Dallas
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
At the range today I asked the attendant his opinion of how many shooters that use the range are reloaders. He opined ďabout 1/3Ē. More opinion & anecdotal info.
People who go to the range on a weekday are more likely to be avid shooters, hence more likely to reload.

Think of gun owners as a pyramid. The more you shoot the closer you are to the top.

The more you shoot the higher the chances are you reload.

If you were to hang out at your local ammo store and ask people buying ammo if they reload you're not going to find very many who do.

Having sold reloading stuff for some 13 years in my younger days I can say that back then less than 5% of all shooters reload, and that was heavily skewed by the number of guys reloading shotshells on a Mec 600. Metallic reloaders was maybe 25% of the total number of reloaders.

That figure comes from the amount of shotshell reloading components vs metallic components.

It does have to be said that at the time the shotgun guys could easily go through 100+ rounds in an afternoon but most of the metallic guys might go through 50 rounds in an afternoon.

There wasn't the mag dump mentality then there is now. It was a more civilized era.
__________________
Semper Fi till the day I die.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved