"W"hiskey "T"ango "F"oxtrot -- is up with ammo (Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc...) - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-27-2020, 12:18 PM

"W"hiskey "T"ango "F"oxtrot -- is up with ammo (Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc...)

Has anyone ventured out to Cabela's or Bass Pro recently? I was there looking at fishing supplies, treble hooks, etc.. and decided to scan the ammo sections. I couldn't believe my eyes!

Shotgun shells, shotgun shells, shotgun shells... shelf upon shelf of Winchester SuperX 12ga, 20ga, 28ga & 410ga. #7 shot, #9 skeet shot, etc... NO buckshot at all!

Cabela's must have just recently re-stocked the rifle section, as they have .243 .270 .30-06, etc... rifle ammo. The handgun section is all but cleaned out and stripped bare! All I saw at Cabela's were 9 boxes of .38spl semi-wadcutter target rounds. 9mm...GONE. .45 ACP... GONE.

Bass Pro -- same as Cabela's with the shotgun shells. Except at Bass Pro, the whole entire handgun ammo section was totally stripped bare and totally GONE!

I asked a clerk at Cabela's who was nearby and he kind of chuckled and said, "The stuff is gone as soon we get it! People order 'bricks' ahead of time and come pick it up!"

It's getting crazy out there!
Old 07-27-2020, 12:35 PM

Been like this since March. And now it's getting worse. I have what I need, but I still have little "tripwires" on ammoseek and some vendors all over the place because if it's reasonable and I shoot it, I'll buy it, even now. But only if reasonable. Since I'm not hard-up or desperate, I do not nibble on the obvious gougers.

All tripwires have been silent for the past 2 weeks. That's unusual in and of itself.

I think the chinavirus-induced shutdown, wait a couple of months, and then restart at reduced capacity has finally manifested. in other words, what we were buying last month was just what was left in the pipeline, and it's dried up now.

This plannedemic has turned me into an online-only ammo buyer, and by the case, not by the box.
-----------------------^--------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry, USCCA
Old 07-27-2020, 12:47 PM

Hope you have enough ammo, getting some aint gonna be "cheap".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2020, 01:04 PM

I am shortest on 556/223, maybe a few hundred 556 and a couple hundred 223 since I just bought my first ar a month ago. A buddy hooked me up with a few mags full to supplement the boxes I was able to scoop up. Fine for now on 9, 45, 38, 357. What really sucks is I hit a few stores here to top off today just because I’ve been buying a box or two after each range trip to keep my stockpile up and LGS around here usually still have stuff on the shelves. First store I hit now sells no ammo at all without a gun purchase. Second only released a box of self defense 9 to me which I took. No practice ammo without a gun sale. Store down the street from me was selling ammo without a gun purchase as of a couple weeks ago but they had no guns for awhile. Seems like as guns are becoming available and ammo stays scarce shops are making the call to let ammo-only customers walk. “Back in stock” trip wires may end up being the only option for certain calibers in some
areas.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:35 PM

I like what Old Gray Hare did... I just set myself up on Ammoseek as well and enabled a few "tripwires" to email me when .45 ACP and .308 BTHP ammo is a lot more readily available. Maybe I'm a little "special", ha ha... but I just don't care for that nasty, extremely dirty, Russian or Turkish or whatever, type of ammo that is always available.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:54 PM

Academy Sports was the same way except they didn't have a lot of shotgun shells. They had shelf upon shelf of skeet just so the shelves wouldn't look bare.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:50 PM

I havenít verified it, but Iíve heard a local gunsmith is asking $40 a box of 50 9mm ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2020, 03:09 PM

Prepping for war is not cheep! JMO.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovw View Post
I havenít verified it, but Iíve heard a local gunsmith is asking $40 a box of 50 9mm ball.

There's a special level of Hell reserved for assholes like him.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
There's a special level of Hell reserved for assholes like him.

Indeed. A few years ago I was looking for 35 Remington ammo for a Marlin. Heard he had some and stopped in, $125 a box of 20.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchA View Post

Now you can't POSSIBLY be 6 years older than me, and NOT have gone through the'88 CA McDonald's shooting and import ban panic; the '92 & '94 KLIN - TON I panics; the post 9/11 buying spree; the post-Brady bill sunset buying spree of '04; the $#!+bamanation panics of '08 & '12; the Sandy Hook & Tide Pod Kidz buying panics of '13 & '18, AND the Hiltlery (KLIN - TON II) panic of 2016, and NOT have expected this in an election year, combined with the MEDIA PANDEMONIUM VIRUS, and generalized libtard numbnuttery & riots!!!
Old 07-27-2020, 05:22 PM

I remember.... I remember... Back during the Klinton years, I was still on active duty in the USCG (nearing retirement soon), and soon after the 9/11 unspeakable horror, etc... and we can't leave out the firearm industries #1 top salesman of all time -- Obama.

A lot of that mess, I tried to put behind me. I stay focused on what's current that would jeopardize me and my loved ones.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:34 PM

For many years I thought I would be spared from this crap because I handload but now you can't find components either. I used to buy cases (5000) Federal primers for $40 and now I see people asking $700 to $800 for a case of them. Capitalism is alive and well.......

Last edited by drail; 07-27-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:39 PM

Maybe try Dick's Sporting Goods
Old 07-27-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantexan View Post
Maybe try Dick's Sporting Goods
LOL.... For what? Tennis rackets? Running shoes?

Dick's can (morse code) -.- .. ... ... / -- -.-- / .- ... ...
Old 07-27-2020, 07:04 PM
Administrator

I heard from somewhere that the supply of raw materials has been impacted thanks to shutdowns of copper mines and such in third-world countries. I've noticed everything is going up in price, not just ammo. As for the availability, well, none of the ammo suppliers I deal with have ever bothered to set any quantity limits, so there's no chance I'm going to be able to pick up a box or two of ammo if Joe Blow decides to buy up the entire shipment at 7am before it even gets wheeled into the store.

I think a lot of credit cards are being maxed out right now.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:10 PM

I think I'm in pretty good shape got a few thousand 45acp same with 9mm and 223 and close to a thousand 38 spl. Have plenty of small rifle& pistol primers. What I am short on is large pistol primers, nobody has any.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I heard from somewhere that the supply of raw materials has been impacted thanks to shutdowns of copper mines and such in third-world countries. I've noticed everything is going up in price, not just ammo. As for the availability, well, none of the ammo suppliers I deal with have ever bothered to set any quantity limits, so there's no chance I'm going to be able to pick up a box or two of ammo if Joe Blow decides to buy up the entire shipment at 7am before it even gets wheeled into the store.

I think a lot of credit cards are being maxed out right now.

Was a time when what happened in the 3rd-world didn't impact us, we had our own copper, our own steel, made our own powder, etc.

I think the real Whisky Tango Foxtrot is simply "what happened to our industry?"

We gotta fix that. We can't be depending on other countries. We really never could, we just *thought* we could. It's biting us, now.

As for buying ammo, it's changed. Like the OP said, you can't just walk into a store and buy a box or two, there's none to be had. The only way right now is to set up product in-stock alerts, be vigilant, and the instant it hits, order it. Last batch of 22 from Midway, i saw the alert and just logged into Midway right from the phone and placed the order right then and there. Didn't even wait to get to the computer, did it all from the phone. And have multiple vendors, if you have four that's not good enough. Some guys seem to specialize in pistol, some in rifle, some in rimfire, rare is the vendor who does it all.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
Was a time when what happened in the 3rd-world didn't impact us, we had our own copper, our own steel, made our own powder, etc.

I think the real Whisky Tango Foxtrot is simply "what happened to our industry?"

We gotta fix that. We can't be depending on other countries. We really never could, we just *thought* we could. It's biting us, now.
We are all at fault for that. Can't have cheap $8.99/50 9mm ammo unless the copper and brass is mined where the workers make $1.50 an hour.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

To the original poster, I got another breaking news for you. Get ready for this one ....

All online ammo dealers are also out of bulk (1000 round case) ammo.

Ooh, here's a bonus ....

Gun stores are out mostly out of guns .. all guns ... AR, AK, multi round shotguns, semi auto centerfire handguns Gone, empty shelves.

Gun stores that do have a few loose 50 round boxes will only sell one box of ammo to someone that buys a gun.

Been that way since March.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:13 PM

Good Lord... Maybe I have been asleep at the switch, thinking I was okay sitting on a "comfortable supply" of ammo for .45 ACP and .308 rifle.

Will it get better? Will it get worse? Who know.... My only advice is to sit tight on what you have. DON'T waste it plinking on the range! My son-in-law just turned me onto a really cool smartphone app/target shooting product called "i-target". You have to buy the funky little laser cartridge for your particular caliber, and also download the compatible app to your smartphone. Once fully setup and in sync, it will allow target shooting (in 100% silence) in your own home! I want to buy it for .45 ACP instead of the 9mm version my son-in-law has.

https://www.itargetpro.com/
Old 07-27-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
Good Lord... Maybe I have been asleep at the switch, thinking I was okay sitting on a "comfortable supply" of ammo for .45 ACP and .308 rifle.

Will it get better? Will it get worse? Who know.... My only advice is to sit tight on what you have. DON'T waste it plinking on the range! My son-in-law just turned me onto a really cool smartphone app/target shooting product called "i-target". You have to buy the funky little laser cartridge for your particular caliber, and also download the compatible app to your smartphone. Once fully setup and in sync, it will allow target shooting (in 100% silence) in your own home! I want to buy it for .45 ACP instead of the 9mm version my son-in-law has.

https://www.itargetpro.com/
Some will laugh, but I'll say this: There are ways to practice shooting that don't involve burning up ammo:

1. Dry fire. But you have to do it *right*, be *merciless* with yourself. If that front blade / post wavers by even 1/8th of a short and curly hair, then you're doing it wrong. You don't need fancy laser gadgets, all you need is your own eyeballs and honesty: When you pressed the trigger and the hammer fell -- is the front post still on the target? Yes? Good! No? You done messed up -- figger out why.

2. Airguns. And I don't mean BB. I mean rifled-barrel lead-pellet .177 or .22. Shooting 10 yard airgun is a great way to get on sharpening your skills. I shoot airgun *a lot*. I love it, actually.

3. When you do have a range day, don't just mindlessly mag-dump. Each shot must hit the X-ring. That's the goal. Shoot in groups of 3, and look in the spotting scope. Did you hit it? How far off were you? If your rifle/pistol is properly zero, why did you miss? Stance / hold / posture? Jerk the trigger? Breathing issues? Just like in a real fight, make *each* round count.

When I shoot at the range ever since this chinavirus bull**** started, I shoot two boxes of centerfire rifle, one box centerfire pistol, and one box of 50 each .22 pistol and .22 rifle. And then I get kicked out because that took care of my two-hour limit.

Like they said in the flintlock days, if you miss... you get to reload. If you're alive to reload, that is.

May I recommend a book called "The Perfect Pistol Shot." It's the real deal.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:36 PM

Pretty good advice there sir. Lead pellet air guns are great for practice - use very small targets. I learned basic shooting with one and I learned to make every shot count. I have always loved single shot guns because they make you pay attention.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:38 PM

Gee I really wish that I was in possession of enough brains.

To consider that something like this might happen. Who knew?

If I only had a brain.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
To consider that something like this might happen. Who knew?

If I only had a brain.
What... gun and ammo shortages? Even though I wasn't a gun owner until 2015 I saw the previous panics, so I bought while I could.

My plan was to get an M1 rifle for my birthday this year in Sept. But by January, my brain was telling me "Get the rifle right now, or you may not get a second chance...."

But... foresee a Bolshevik revolution in our own country, aided and abetted by *elected officials*?

Yea that one I"m still scratching my head on. Very dissapointed, and angry, even.