"New" Plainfield M-1 Carbine - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-26-2020, 10:55 PM

"New" Plainfield M-1 Carbine

Scored this at a pawn shop Saturday , $600 bucks and sales tax.

If it has 500 rounds on it I'd be surprised, it was clean as a whistle when I inspected it at the shop and when I got home it was even dusty on the barrel when I cleaned it before I test fired it.

IBM trigger group BE-B code and the slide has "C" stamped on the underside. Serial number is in the 13000 range, if I read things right on the Carbine Collectors site that's between 1965-68 when they were still using surplus USGI parts. Can't quite make out the marking on the hammer (old eyes and need a better magnifying glass) but it has one on it.

Range Time, 10 yards test fire

I ran 150 rounds PPU through it, starting 1 round at a time then working my way up to 10 rounds in the mag. I did have 1 failure to extract at 10 rounds and 1 stovepipe at 20. I want to say the gas piston was stiffish, it didn't move freely when I cleaned it the 1st time. It's "free" now so I figure it had some old oil or the like that needed working out.

Gun ran the next 125 rounds like a Swiss watch. Next weekend I'll take it to a outdoor range and do a proper zero check, today was strictly a function check and so far so good.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:38 AM

I am a big fan of the M-1 carbine.

But I know zero about the Plainfields. What can you tell us about them Don?
Old 07-27-2020, 06:57 AM

I have one and I like it a lot.
Zero malfunctions

It's my home defense gun

AFS
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2020, 07:00 AM

Very underrated rifle!
Old 07-27-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
But I know zero about the Plainfields. What can you tell us about them Don?
Here's a good site for info

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_plainfield.html

This is the 3rd one I've owned over the decades. Early production (this one looks to be a 1966 made one) were the best, they used leftover USGI parts like this one when available.

They made M-1 Carbines for South Vietnam, the Philippines and several US law enforcement agencies in the 1960's. Of the "1960-1970" era commercial manufactures their one of the better ones IMO

In the 70's they started having problems and eventually merged with Iver Johnson.

Of the 3 I've owned the 1st ran fine with decent mags. One I bought about 8 years ago I had major issues with with FTF's.

The LGS I bought it from tried fixing it by using Wolf recoil springs with no luck. Hindsight being what it is I think that one needed a new gas piston, they gave me a refund and told me they parted the gun out.

I've been 1/2 looking for another since I started my current M-1 Carbine kick to have as a beater. I'm going to run another 150 rounds this weekend before I "sign off" on the Plainfield as a range toy, then see how it runs before I declare it a "defense" Carbine.

I do know this one has been shot very little, the hammer still has 90% of the blueing on it IMO and it has very little wear on it. I do think the past owner wasn't "up" on Carbine's, the sling was on ass backwards when I got it (snap end fed through the oiler in the stock)
Old 07-27-2020, 09:58 AM

That is fun looking Carbine. I notice that the Safety is different than the one on mine. Mine is just a push button, yours looks more like a lever? Can anyone tell me the difference of the safeties. I like the push button just fine. I have shot a model with a lever, but it was when I was in the Army during a “history” demo day, that one was full auto. Is the lever for full autos?

Mine was supposedly brought back by Uncle Charlie from the European Theater during WWII. I have no reason not to believe the stories, he retired as an Army Colonel many years after the war, I assume he was a company grade officer during the war. The story is that he carved his initials and inlay on the the butt of the stock, and then used fresh chicken bones to rub in oils for a sheen on the stock. I got two 15 round original mags with it, I think the 30 round magazine might have been bought after the war. I have bought a couple more 30 rounders. I never met Uncle Charlie but his initials carved into the stock look pretty cool, I assume ruining any collectors value. On my watch, it will never be sold and I doubt my son would sell it either. It is a cool part of family history. I wish I knew more about it / Uncle Charlie.

I shoot it every once in a while... I can understand the appeal as a home defense gun, but as a primary military arm I think it was way underpowered. Cool gun to own nevertheless, congratulations on the score.
Attached Thumbnails
40DE9543-EEA7-481B-8C78-05771E8ADFE2.jpg  
Old 07-27-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
That is fun looking Carbine. I notice that the Safety is different than the one on mine. Mine is just a push button, yours looks more like a lever? Can anyone tell me the difference of the safeties. I like the push button just fine. I have shot a model with a lever, but it was when I was in the Army during a “history” demo day, that one was full auto. Is the lever for full autos?

Mine was supposedly brought back by Uncle Charlie from the European Theater during WWII. I have no reason not to believe the stories, he retired as an Army Colonel many years after the war, I assume he was a company grade officer during the war. The story is that he carved his initials and inlay on the the butt of the stock, and then used fresh chicken bones to rub in oils for a sheen on the stock. I got two 15 round original mags with it, I think the 30 round magazine might have been bought after the war. I have bought a couple more 30 rounders. I never met Uncle Charlie but his initials carved into the stock look pretty cool, I assume ruining any collectors value. On my watch, it will never be sold and I doubt my son would sell it either. It is a cool part of family history. I wish I knew more about it / Uncle Charlie.

I shoot it every once in a while... I can understand the appeal as a home defense gun, but as a primary military arm I think it was way underpowered. Cool gun to own nevertheless, congratulations on the score.
The Carbine was originally equipped with the push button safety. Late in the war they went to the "lever" style when they found out GI's were confusing the safety for the mag release and dropping the mag by accident.

Post war most of them received the later style safety along with the adjustable rear sight yours has on it but there were exceptions.

Does your Carbine have a bayonet lug? Actually some collectors value GI hand engravings on Carbines, if you can provide a history to the Carbine it adds to the story of the individual rifle.

Try here, this site will have experts on them and they always value the history behind each Carbine.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/...cecf6405324074

Full auto M-2 Carbines have a separate "lever" on the top left side of the receiver that controls that function

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/modelM2.html

Last edited by Don Flynn; 07-27-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flynn View Post
Does your Carbine have a bayonet lug? Actually some collectors value GI hand engravings on Carbines, if you can provide a history to the Carbine it adds to the story of the individual rifle.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/...cecf6405324074
Thanks for your comments and explanation. Mine does not have a bayonet lug. The metal is in real good shape. Some honest wear on the stock.

As far as the history of the Carbine, family says, he mailed parts of it home, in seperate parcels. The family opened the packages, even though they were addressed to him. They talked about opening those boxes and “surprise”. Some of the parts were brought home in a duffle bag. He was in Europe, I don’t know exactly where he landed, or what unit he was assigned. According to granddaughter he talked about Belgium and we know he hated Germans because of “mistreatment of Army prisoners” (I have always assumed associated with Bastogne). Apparently he was moved to a HQ at the end of the war and that is the weapon carried. I assume he had it long enough to develop an emotional attachment, hence his initials. Long after he died my wife’s family decided I should have the heirloom as I was carrer Army. I have treasured it ever since.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:57 PM

A heads up to all M-1 carbine fans!

At least for now you can still get cases of Korean surplus ammo from SGammo.com for 36 cents a round. Not as cheap as you could six months ago. But still reasonable for todays market. I just ordered another case of it the other day. This stuff is likely going to be drying up like everything else pretty soon.

Some might make a case for the .30 carbine being underpowered. But any way that you look at it a 110 grain bullet going +/- 2000 FPS. A good hit with it is going to take the wind out of just about anyone's sail. Just sayin.

My 43 inland and my 44 IBM are not going anywhere anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0088.JPG   DSC01793.JPG  
Old 07-27-2020, 02:01 PM

LuckyGunner also has the same rounds for $.36 in case this stock dries up. https://www.luckygunner.com/30-carbi...ds-in-ammo-can

I have set up my Carbine to be a defense weapon as well. It has a rail, flashlight, forward grip, collapsible stock w/ battery storage and an Eotech. It is still light enough that I can handle it well.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Thanks for your comments and explanation. Mine does not have a bayonet lug. The metal is in real good shape. Some honest wear on the stock.

As far as the history of the Carbine, family says, he mailed parts of it home, in seperate parcels. The family opened the packages, even though they were addressed to him. They talked about opening those boxes and “surprise”. Some of the parts were brought home in a duffle bag. He was in Europe, I don’t know exactly where he landed, or what unit he was assigned. According to granddaughter he talked about Belgium and we know he hated Germans because of “mistreatment of Army prisoners” (I have always assumed associated with Bastogne). Apparently he was moved to a HQ at the end of the war and that is the weapon carried. I assume he had it long enough to develop an emotional attachment, hence his initials. Long after he died my wife’s family decided I should have the heirloom as I was carrer Army. I have treasured it ever since.
Post more pictures of you Carbine on the Collectors Forum, they would find it interesting. The adjustable could be a field mod, there were units in Europe that made their own from what I've read
Old 07-27-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
At least for now you can still get cases of Korean surplus ammo from SGammo.com for 36 cents a round. Not as cheap as you could six months ago. But still reasonable for todays market. I just ordered another case of it the other day. This stuff is likely going to be drying up like everything else pretty soon.

Some might make a case for the .30 carbine being underpowered. But any way that you look at it a 110 grain bullet going +/- 2000 FPS. A good hit with it is going to take the wind out of just about anyone's sail. Just sayin.

My 43 inland and my 44 IBM are not going anywhere anytime soon.
.30 Carbine is the only ammo caliber I use that I can find that hasn't taken a massive price jump. Lucky for me I found some sale right before the current panic and have 5450 rounds on hand (yes, I keep count....you have too right now).

I've told myself next time I head by AIM Surplus I'll grab a case of the Korean but in my mind I've 1450 rounds in "shooting" stash and I had my goal of 1000 per gun (I had 4 of them before this weekend). Until this Carbine runs 500 rounds without a problem it's a range toy
Old 07-27-2020, 09:46 PM

I am with you 100% Don.

Quote:
.30 Carbine is the only ammo caliber I use that I can find that hasn't taken a massive price jump. Lucky for me I found some sale right before the current panic and have 5450 rounds on hand (yes, I keep count....you have too right now).

I've told myself next time I head by AIM Surplus I'll grab a case of the Korean but in my mind I've 1450 rounds in "shooting" stash and I had my goal of 1000 per gun (I had 4 of them before this weekend). Until this Carbine runs 500 rounds without a problem it's a range toy
Everybody has their own comfort level. In addition to the two carbines that I have now I am considering another new gun from Fulton armory just because. Clearly I am not the only one doing so as they are currently backlogged 12 to 16 weeks as per their web site. The first time that I have seen that.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Everybody has their own comfort level. In addition to the two carbines that I have now I am considering another new gun from Fulton armory just because. Clearly I am not the only one doing so as they are currently backlogged 12 to 16 weeks as per their web site. The first time that I have seen that.
It took 14 weeks to get mine in 2018. Ordered it on a Labor Day 10% off sale and didn't get it until right after Xmas that year, here's the link to the day I got it

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=980048

They make each 1 to order from my understanding and LMT does the bolt and receiver as ordered.

You won't be sorry, and I suggest the chrome lined barrel to add life to the rifle
Old 07-28-2020, 01:39 PM

I am seeing the same thing.

Quote:

SGammo has gone up about ten percent since the beginning of this panic. They were selling those 1080 round cans for 339 when they first got them. Now they are getting 388 for them. But I can live with that. I actually have another case showing up tomorrow. And if Uncle Sam sends me some more money I will likely get some more. I think that .30 carbine is somewhat of a niche round nowdays.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
SGammo has gone up about ten percent since the beginning of this panic. They were selling those 1080 round cans for 339 when they first got them. Now they are getting 388 for them. But I can live with that. I actually have another case showing up tomorrow. And if Uncle Sam sends me some more money I will likely get some more. I think that .30 carbine is somewhat of a niche round nowdays.
I need to find the time to swing by AIM Surplus, case there would run me $395.99 plus tax but I save on shipping and drive by it on my way to the outdoor range I've been using
Old 07-29-2020, 12:20 AM

Don I checked back to the post about the FA new gun that you bought.

And I noticed that the one you ordered came with the bayonet lug. Any particular reason why you ordered it as such? No big deal either way. But I always thought that the bayonet lug kind of detracted from the clean lines of an otherwise sleek carbine. Probably just me.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
And I noticed that the one you ordered came with the bayonet lug. Any particular reason why you ordered it as such? No big deal either way. But I always thought that the bayonet lug kind of detracted from the clean lines of an otherwise sleek carbine. Probably just me.
No particular reason. More than likely outside of the couple Commercial Carbines I've owned over the years all my USGI ones had the lug so I just kept the look.

Odd's are if I were ever to order another FA I'd get the Type 2 band, your right....it looks "cleaner" and it's not like I ever plan to "fix bayonets" unless the zombies come
Old 07-29-2020, 06:35 PM

Nice.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:06 PM

I hear you.

Quote:
No particular reason. More than likely outside of the couple Commercial Carbines I've owned over the years all my USGI ones had the lug so I just kept the look.

Odd's are if I were ever to order another FA I'd get the Type 2 band, your right....it looks "cleaner" and it's not like I ever plan to "fix bayonets" unless the zombies come
I actually have a WWII M-1 carbine bayonet. If I ever decide to sell it, I will give you first jump on it. But yes you are right. A six and a half inch bayonet on a 36" carbine looks kind of silly.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I actually have a WWII M-1 carbine bayonet. If I ever decide to sell it, I will give you first jump on it. But yes you are right. A six and a half inch bayonet on a 36" carbine looks kind of silly.

I might take you up on that if I have the dough, WWII USGI Carbine bayonets are worth big bucks.

I learned a important lesson last night, the replacement walnut stocks that Numrich sells are NOT a drop fit for Carbines. I got one and made the mistake of trying to fit it to my "safe queen" USGI Inland last nite, with little luck.

The bad part is I ruined the birch stock I had on it trying to get the oiler out. I've got a spare stock that's usable I'm going to use until I can file and fit the the new one but it's a pain in the ass and I feel stupid ruining a perfectly useable stock I didn't really need to replace
Old 07-30-2020, 10:55 AM

I bought a replacement stock at a gun show a few years ago

Quote:
I might take you up on that if I have the dough, WWII USGI Carbine bayonets are worth big bucks.

I learned a important lesson last night, the replacement walnut stocks that Numrich sells are NOT a drop fit for Carbines. I got one and made the mistake of trying to fit it to my "safe queen" USGI Inland last nite, with little luck.

The bad part is I ruined the birch stock I had on it trying to get the oiler out. I've got a spare stock that's usable I'm going to use until I can file and fit the the new one but it's a pain in the ass and I feel stupid ruining a perfectly useable stock I didn't really need to replace
It is a beautiful Mahogany stock from Boyd's that I got cheap. A perfect fit for my IBM which I put it on. To save the original stock that was on it. I was examining it one day and found that it has the ordinance bomb stamped inside of the oiler cutout.

You can check them out here. Not exactly cheap, and they are Walnut now instead of Mahogany but. Like I said mine was a perfect fit and very finely finished. I am guessing that Fulton Armory sells them also.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/boyds-h...ine-stock.html

Last edited by USMM guy; 07-30-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It is a beautiful Mahogany stock from Boyd's that I got cheap. A perfect fit for my IBM which I put it on. To save the original stock that was on it. I was examining it one day and found that it has the ordinance bomb stamped inside of the oiler cutout.

You can check them out here. Not exactly cheap, and they are Walnut now instead of Mahogany but. Like I said mine was a perfect fit and very finely finished. I am guessing that Fulton Armory sells them also.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/boyds-h...ine-stock.html
That's about what I spent on the Numrich one. I thought it was a Boyds made one but I guess not.

If I can't get the Numrich one to fit I'll try that, thanks. I hate spending the money and should have just gotten the Fulton Armory model but went cheap.

This Inland is a safe queen anyway and I put another stock on it for the time being
Old 07-30-2020, 01:11 PM
Administrator

My luck with replacing GI stocks has not been good. I need to replace the one on my M1917 Enfield, but original stocks are hard to find and expensive, and I was told the Boyd's replacement doesn't fit very well. Fortunately for you M1 Carbines were made in such high numbers that you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a clean original GI stock for not too much money. If your Inland is a safe queen I wouldn't put an aftermarket stock on it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
My luck with replacing GI stocks has not been good. I need to replace the one on my M1917 Enfield, but original stocks are hard to find and expensive, and I was told the Boyd's replacement doesn't fit very well. Fortunately for you M1 Carbines were made in such high numbers that you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a clean original GI stock for not too much money. If your Inland is a safe queen I wouldn't put an aftermarket stock on it.
Yeah, I found a place that has birch ones in stock. If I can't get this thing to fit I'll get one of those and use it on my "shooter" Howa. I swiped the stock off it last nite and put the Choate folding stock I was planning on using on it on anyway.