1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-18-2020, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Colt Pythons at the LGS

My local gun shop just got in two of the new Pythons in both barrel lengths. They also had an old used 3" Python from the 1960s. Unfortunately they were all hideously overpriced so there was no sale. However I did finally get a chance to put my mitts on the new Pythons, and I have to say they're really nice. I still wish the hammer was checkered and the back strap was serrated, but overall they appeared to be better guns than the old one. Smoother action, better trigger feel and better sights. The polishing of the stainless steel was pretty good, and with a little Flitz they could easily be turned into signal mirrors. Once the discretionary funds recover and I manage to find one of these close to MSRP I may have to grab it. Since I couldn't decide whether I liked the 6" or the 4.25" model more I guess it's a good thing I've got a long time to think about it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:41 PM

Good to know. I might wait and see if Colt decides to produce them in Royal Blue, but a Python has been on my Grail Gun list for a while...and at least THEIR new models don't have the "Hillary Hole".
Old 07-18-2020, 05:24 PM

Just curious....what was the pricetag on the 3"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2020, 05:52 PM

Just for the sake of discussion!
How much was the ridiculous price on the 3”.
COTEP #781
Things aren't as you imagine.

Last edited by CoolE; 07-18-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:43 PM

My LGS gas a new python for $2499. Hope he chokes
Old 07-18-2020, 07:29 PM

This IS good news! Hopefully this means that they'll more available soon. I really want a six inch, but my LGS doesn't even list them on their website anymore, so I was worried that there were none left to be had for awhile. When they did have them listed on their website, they were $1599. I would pay that much for one no problem, but not much more than that. I don't want to buy one on-line because I want to look at it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicilia mike View Post
Wow! That's insane!
Old 07-18-2020, 07:42 PM

The python is nice but I'm leaning towards a king cobra with the 3inch barrel.

You all know I am a ruger guy but the cobra felt good in the hand and 6 over 5 rounds compared to the sp101 is always a plus.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:48 PM

If you guys are looking for, or watching the prices on the new Pythons. Gun.deals tracks them. Save the links and you can check back anytime you want.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/098289003270
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/098289003287
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 07-18-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
They also had an old used 3" Python from the 1960s.
A real factory 3" is a rare bird and deservedly expensive.
But you have to beware of parts guns made up with the leftover barrels sold off to Numrich.
The ones made up by a distributor by sawing off 8" barrels can be identified by inspection.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Good to know. I might wait and see if Colt decides to produce them in Royal Blue, but a Python has been on my Grail Gun list for a while...and at least THEIR new models don't have the "Hillary Hole".
Be patient if you like a blued finish, they may be coming.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:48 AM

According to the Gun Deals site Jason D posted, Out-Of-Stock listings outnumbered the In Stock listings by around TEN TO ONE.

Plus you gotta figure in that the In Stock listings are very much likely Out Of Stock but have not been updated yet.

Now add in the factor that, most likely, thousands of LGS's have multiple Pythons back-ordered deep into the foreseeable future. This does not bode well for bargain hunters.

Colt has a MASSIVE hit on their hands. So any Python that actually gets into a customer's hands at retail could be instantly flipped for a substantial profit.

So, with this incredible level of demand in a free market economy, what does this mean?

Answer: It means that it will take YEARS for Colt to catch up with demand and for prices to fall ---------------- if ever!

It may be like waiting for Rolex Watches to become cheaper because they have "satisfied current demand" --------- I've been waiting for my cheap 'Rollie since 1905.

So I think that what people are getting for these guns IS the value and that it may not lessen appreciably anytime soon, if ever.

Thus I think that if you want one, denying yourself the pleasure for another decade + in an attempt to save a few bucks may be a poor, if not futile, decision.

Pay the man the going rate. Or bring a comfy pillow, for your sitting on the fence, as the seasons roll by.

Now, as guys who presumably have some stuff, I suggest that aspiring new Python owners sell some things to bolster your budget up to the current price.

Jetski? Saxophone? YZ125? Trap/skeet gun? Bowflex? --------- sell some of that rarely used stuff & make your Python dream come true.

Last edited by magazineman; 07-19-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:02 AM

This is no difference from dealers marking up highly desirable cars.

If you don’t like the jacked up price, don’t buy.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:24 AM

I want one of the new ones as well but wanted to wait until any issues were worked out as I dont trust Colt anymore on initial runs....or any company for that matter outside of mabye HK or Beretta.

I wasnt that interested until I saw they beefed the gun up a little because I want to shoot it. Just my luck it comes out during all the craziness going on.....Oh well. Its a future purchase if I am still around though.

As of right now I am not buying anymore guns after I pick up my 1911 (in route) which I picked up before all this gun buying panic. It could very possibly be the last gun I ever purchase. Oh well.... glad I finally took the plunge after 30+ years or so although I do have some experience/training with them.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:31 AM

The first run of factory 3in Pythons was made in 1988 for Lew Horton's.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:35 PM

I wouldn't count on a store clerk tagging one right.
Or maybe a 1960s gun with a Numrich barrel.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I wouldn't count on a store clerk tagging one right.
Or maybe a 1960s gun with a Numrich barrel.

Years ago , Sportsmans Guide was selling a whole bunch of obsolete Colt factory barrels at very good prices. I bought 2 3in Python and 2 3in Detective Special barrels for $125 and $100 ea respectively.
Sold 1 of each for double what I paid.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:54 PM

Sportsmans Guide used to have some good stuff.
I kind of wish I had bought a 1903 FN 9mm Browning Long barrel so I could reconvert one of the guns munged up into large .380s.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolE View Post
How much was the ridiculous price on the 3.
I can't remember, but I think $2999.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicilia mike View Post
$2499 was what this LGS was selling them for as well. Sorry, but even in a buying panic I'm not paying a thousand dollars over MSRP for a brand-new gun.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I can't remember, but I think $2999.

$2499 was what this LGS was selling them for as well. Sorry, but even in a buying panic I'm not paying a thousand dollars over MSRP for a brand-new gun.
At those prices, especially 3k, Id look for another vintage Python.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolE View Post
How much was the ridiculous price on the 3”.
I can't remember, but I think $2999
A lot to ask for a fake.

I wish I had bought a few real ones at that price 15 years ago. They’re going for $13-16K these days in top condition.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:49 AM

A small shop here got a couple of New Pythons early on which they sold for list.
I knew Covid and Floyd Riots were putting pressure on the firearm market but I am surprised to see such profiteering on a high priced old fashioned revolver.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
A small shop here got a couple of New Pythons early on which they sold for list.
I knew Covid and Floyd Riots were putting pressure on the firearm market but I am surprised to see such profiteering on a high priced old fashioned revolver.
Well its an iconic revolver used in film that almost everyone wants. I have wanted one since I watched Magnum Force as a kid. Then as a teenager I watched Don Johnson in Dead Bang and REALLY wanted one.

I have come close a few times. Then I had decided I wanted a Cougar (security six with a colt barrel) as I wanted the durability. Came close a few times there as well but was outbid (they are not real common).

When these first hit I was going to jump on one right away. A beefed up Python! Then the reviews started coming in so I held off. I dont like sending guns back and fourth to the factory and most of my gunsmithing skills are more oriented towards semi autos.

If colt can keep up production I will get one eventually if at all possible. The price point $1,500 is reasonable as long as the issues are worked out. I wouldnt pay $2,500 for one but I am pretty frugal compared to most people.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:26 AM

I don't think the people who are buying up new Pythons at inflated prices are new shooters or panic buy shooters.

Also, some shops are still listing them as MSRPs such as Americana Arms in Beeville, Texas. However, good luck finding one in stock. They sold them faster than nose candy.

A Colt shop in Albuquerque (JCT Firearms) list the new Pythons at $2000 and they're still sold like hot cakes. Can you blame the shop for not making money? I refuse to buy guns at more than MSRP but there are those who want these new Pythons (and other guns) bad enough to pay dealer markups. Who am I to stop these people from spending their hard earned money, and who am I to criticize the shops for cashing in?

It's all about supply and demand. If the demand is higher than the supply then the person with the most moolah willing to spend on a gun should be able to buy that gun over a person with less purse string. All these talks of fairness sounds like liberal, progressive Marxism BS. Cash is King. If you want it bad enough, if you want to be the first boy on the block with the new toy, and you can afford to get it...knock yourself out.

It's all about priorities.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I don't think the people who are buying up new Pythons at inflated prices are new shooters or panic buy shooters.

Also, some shops are still listing them as MSRPs such as Americana Arms in Beeville, Texas. However, good luck finding one in stock. They sold them faster than nose candy.

A Colt shop in Albuquerque (JCT Firearms) list the new Pythons at $2000 and they're still sold like hot cakes. Can you blame the shop for not making money? I refuse to buy guns at more than MSRP but there are those who want these new Pythons (and other guns) bad enough to pay dealer markups. Who am I to stop these people from spending their hard earned money, and who am I to criticize the shops for cashing in?

It's all about supply and demand. If the demand is higher than the supply then the person with the most moolah willing to spend on a gun should be able to buy that gun over a person with less purse string. All these talks of fairness sounds like liberal, progressive Marxism BS. Cash is King. If you want it bad enough, if you want to be the first boy on the block with the new toy, and you can afford to get it...knock yourself out.

It's all about priorities.
At least if you buy from your local shop you support those that really care about the firearms industry. I typically wont buy from big box stores anymore.

Gun owners need to learn a little more loyalty. Establish a relationship with a good shop and they take care of you. I only use one dealer and he hooks me up all the time. Its not just about money... its about supporting the community....getting to know people etc. The last thing the gun community needs is all these shops to start shutting down.

Colt and the shops can price up Pythons all they want. I want one but Its just a luxury. I can manage $1,500 or so. Once it gets higher not so much. Thats fine though. I would love a Korth too but thats not happening. I will survive.

At least Colt is an American company. I typically wont buy guns not made in the USA.....Not new anyways. As much as I like Norincos there is no way in hell I would buy a Newly manufactered firearms from them if they were allowed. Communists have taken enough from us.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
It appears to me that a sizeable number of them are Walking Dead fans. That series has done the same for Pythons that Dirty Harry did for the S&W Model 29. It's also possible that many buyers are Colt collectors who know Colt's history of discontinuing models faster than they can release new ones.