Malfunctioning kimber micro 9mm - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 05:54 PM

Malfunctioning kimber micro 9mm

Have owned a micro 9mm since January. It actually replaced my sig p365 as a ccw. For whatever reason, it’s just more comfy to carry.
A few days ago I took it out for another range trip and am slowly getting my 11 year old into pistol shooting.
Let him try it.
The magazine kept coming out while firing. I assumed he was hitting the mag release button on accident. But then I tried. Sure enough, every couple rounds the mag would drop out. Didn’t matter which magazine I used.
I contacted kimber. Their sending me a shipping label for repair.
Anyone know what my turn around time is likely to be? It’s my understanding that a weak spring is causing the issue. Kinda surprised it hasn’t happened before if that’s the case but no matter.
I did tell them that my kimber also has between an 8.5 and 9lb pull. It’s supposed to be closer to 7. I’m hoping they fix that as well. What are my chances kimber gives it a trigger job?
Springfield gave my Loaded 4inch model a trigger job to fix a 10lb trigger that somehow made it past quality control, but that was almost 10 years ago.

This is my 4th kimber and 1st time having to send one in for repairs. I’m hoping it goes smoothly.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:09 PM

Not related but, while we were out, my son was shooting my M9A3, and had a stovepipe. That’s my 2nd beretta, only a few hundred rounds down range with that model but I have thousands of rounds through a regular 92fs, and iv never seen a beretta jamn. Like ever.
Just goes to show anything can have a failure.
I can make a glock malfunction by limpwristing it on purpose if I wanted to, but short of dragging a beretta through the mud iv never had an issue with one before.
Just regular old 115 gr. Winchester white box.
Nothing is perfect.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:10 PM

Well I’m a little surprised I haven’t gotten a single reply from anyone on here about what to expect, but luckily for me they have already sent me tracking numbers and I’ll have it back next week so I guess I’ll find out on my own what work they have done to it.
Hopefully the issue is fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2020, 10:40 PM

I bought a brand new Micro 9 that was having extraction issues. I also complained that it was shooting a little too high. They issued a return label and it was off to them the next day. They stated a 1-2 week turn around, but I think the pistol was only gone about 5-6 days. They tuned the extractor, said they replaced the front sight, and performed some other small tweaks. It has been a shooting machine ever since. I am amazed at how well it performs for being such a small 1911-based pistol. So hang in there...hopefully Kimber will work the kinks out and have it back to you very soon.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:16 PM

Mine was shooting great until my 5th range trip with it. It’s a little tack driver even with the heavy trigger.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:06 PM

I have a Micro 9 Raptor and have had zero issues with mine.
(I did have extraction issues with a Micro Raptor (i.e. a .380acp) which was fixed quickly and for free by Kimber. The ONLY Kimber with which I have had issues.)
Old 07-27-2020, 02:49 PM

A guy here had one of those wretched little things. It shot like a dream... when it shot.
He tried different bullets, let the store AR assembler tinker with it, held his hand and mouth right, nothing worked. He eventually sent it back to Kimber and they actually fixed it on the first try; it is now reliable and as accurate as he or I can hold the dinky little thing.
So you have a chance. I don't know what they will do to the trigger.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:22 PM

They did not do anything to the trigger. The note they left said that it was considered “in spec “.
They did replace the mag catch spring and installed a new recoil spring. It says they buffed the feed ramp a bit also, but it doesn’t look any different. In truth it was pretty polished already.
As long as it doesn’t eject the magazine then it’s good to go. They did get it back to me quite fast as well so that’s a plus.
I’m currently also having to send a sig saucer in for warranty work and getting sig to answer the phone or respond to emails right now is a nightmare.
So plus one for kimbers customer service.