basic beavertail fitting - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-26-2016, 09:14 PM

Great post and first rate job. You won't get a better job from most smiths.
The only thing I would add is to use quality files that are good and sharp. Putting some chalk in the teeth of the file helps keep it from loading up with metal. Keep your files clean. A flattened brass cartridge case mouth makes a great tool for cleaning out the file teeth.
Be sure to go to finer grit polishing when you are getting near to final fit. It makes polishing much easier. Get a firm grip on the Dremil when using grit wheels, they can scoot on you and be sure the frame is held tight.

Thanks for posting.

My Best, John
Old 08-10-2016, 07:17 PM

Thank you very much, I just got a Wilson combat bulletproof that needs fitting, and I wasn't sure how best to go about it. I'll try your way,and not skip steps.

I was wondering why the guy I bought it from included an extra old thumb safety, maybe exactly for this.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:26 AM

That beavertail fitting is all wrong. I know it will fit your web of your hand if your Tape or use Rubber Band DOWN and finish the Final Blending. Not PUT a WEDGE Behind the Beavertail and hold it out to the final blending

Old 08-18-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill608 View Post
That beavertail fitting is all wrong....
Really? Did you even read completely through his fitting process? Did you notice that at least one of the top tier smiths (Pistolwrench/Chuck Rogers) applauded his work and even said that it inspired him to do better on his builds? Many of us who have installed beavertails have used this method with great success whether found/developed on our own or seen/borrowed from here or some other smith's advice. This method, if followed, will yield a safety with a very close fit to the frame (tiny gap) and a blended transition both on the top of the tangs (appearance) when the safety is not depressed and the bottom of the tangs (comfort and appearance) when the safety is depressed. Can't ask for anything better than that. Another top tier smith (John Harrison) offers a tool to assist in fitting that does the same job as the OP's scrap aluminum wedge. If it were not the correct way to do it I'm pretty sure that his tool would have been a failure. Instead it sells pretty darned well.

Perhaps you need to reconsider your assessment. The wedge is for blending the upper surface of the tail in the out/disengaged position, not the depressed position.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:51 AM

When they came available I bought one in the early 80"s. Took me 5 hrs with a file and hacksaw( all the tools I had) but it came out well. Several years later I had the gun hard chromed and the smith had to do no more to that area than any other.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill608 View Post
That beavertail fitting is all wrong. I know it will fit your web of your hand if your Tape or use Rubber Band DOWN and finish the Final Blending. Not PUT a WEDGE Behind the Beavertail and hold it out to the final blending
Dang, I guess I've been blending grip safeties wrong all these years. Thanks for straightening me out
Old 11-07-2016, 08:45 PM

Thank you , I did one before I read your tutorial and I'm not happy with that one.

I've done two more since using your tutorial, and they both came out how I wanted them, not as perfect as yours, but close.

An undersized pin, (I used a transfer punch) is great idea because you can see engaged & disengaged.

I don't use a jig, I use a socket to mark the circle, scribe, then sharpie, leaving about 1/16 " to file and craytex.

Alternatively one could use 2 sockets of the same size, and bolt them on to make a free jig. That's how I did my first one.

Last edited by ForesterPumice; 11-07-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:38 PM

wow...beautiful work. real art!
Old 12-17-2016, 10:13 AM

It's been 25 or more years since I fitted one of these. Nice recap. I'm blending in a factory OEM installed Springfield BTGS this morning, trying to put some nice on the Christmas gift gun for my wife. This helped. Thanks much to the OP.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:55 AM

This is THE BEST tutorial on fitting a beavertail, I tried a couple times using this, but I skip a few steps. I'm going to try again and follow every step.

One thing, I don't understand what the purpose of using several different tapered thumb safties, here..

({
OK it has taken tons of tries but I finally have the scribe thought the frame and the GS. Next I use old Thumb safeties that I have sanded down so the shaft tapers. I have lots of these with varying degrees of taper. I use vise grips to hold on to the old thumb safeties and just keep marking the tangs and filing them, only on the high spots. Start to try your permanent TS to see if it will start though the hole.}}]

What does this do? I feel like im missing something that might be important. Also, what can be substituted for the tapered thumb safety's, possibly tapered nails ground to fit?

Excellent tutorial again, I wish the OP had done more like it, for fitting barrels, sear jig, etc.

I'll post my progress on my aluminum frame build, I found a grip safety in my "box of many oddball parts" that looks just like the one used here. I'm a fan of the mild beavertail with that chunky bit.

I just tried drop in colt beavertail and it was hideous compared to a fitted one.

I make glass paperweights and marbles, no one really cares if they are perfectly spherical except the maker, having a perfectly blended GS is similar imo.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 Shootist View Post
Great post and first rate job. You won't get a better job from most smiths.
The only thing I would add is to use quality files that are good and sharp. Putting some chalk in the teeth of the file helps keep it from loading up with metal. Keep your files clean. A flattened brass cartridge case mouth makes a great tool for cleaning out the file teeth.
Be sure to go to finer grit polishing when you are getting near to final fit. It makes polishing much easier. Get a firm grip on the Dremil when using grit wheels, they can scoot on you and be sure the frame is held tight.

Thanks for posting.

My Best, John
Absolutely agree. Nice tip on the chalk.
Another good trick is to mount a brass brush to your bench to clean files quickly. I'm not positive, but I've always been suspicious that a steel wire brush might dull files...Probably not.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:18 AM

Tapered safety pins allow the excess metal to be indicated during test fitting. The further the pin is inserted the closer the grip safety is forced to the frame to initiate the contact showing where to sneak up on the fit at the spot contact. Then the final size pin should allow almost complete contact. The high spots being removed previously.
Joe
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM

About as close to perfect as you can get.

Steve........