basic beavertail fitting - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM

Thanks for taking the time to share and post this! Love your work...I may even take a swing at doing a newly acquired P14!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 AM

Just try it.

First off, let me say this is a great post/tutorial! I just fitted my first grip safety on my first build and am quite happy with the results. Could not have done near as good of a job without this post. Most of the people replying to this post have done this task and know just how tricky, intricate, time consuming, frustrating and rewarding it is. Once again, thanks and just try it.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 AM

I have a month old DE1911G. I have only had the gun out for about 65 bullets downrange but I really like the gun for the most part. However there are a couple things that I would like to upgrade starting with the grip safety because it's hard to explain but on one side it looks like the Finnish started to wear off and underneath it looks like it's sanded in 2 diff directions with real course sandpaper. Idk how else to describe it but I tried to buff it with a dremmel buffing wheel but it just didn't seem to be getting any better? I don't really want to take to it with sandpaper and remove a bunch of material to see if I can get it smooth again because I don't want it to be sloppy fitting. Also, it's the thin side of the grip safety so I don't want to make it weak. And it's probably mim so Idk if it will even polish out to be honest? Anyways, my question is this: If my gun came with an extended beavertail grip safety will like a wilson replacement one need to be fitted to the frame or should I be able to just drop it in? Anyone with experience with this particular gun would be great? I would also like to replace the slide stop and thumb safety just to have bulletproof parts on for a piece of mind. Thanks, Scott

Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Very nice!
John 3:16
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskobli
I have a month old DE1911G. I have only had the gun out for about 65 bullets downrange but I really like the gun for the most part. However there are a couple things that I would like to upgrade starting with the grip safety because it's hard to explain but on one side it looks like the Finnish started to wear off and underneath it looks like it's sanded in 2 diff directions with real course sandpaper. Idk how else to describe it but I tried to buff it with a dremmel buffing wheel but it just didn't seem to be getting any better? I don't really want to take to it with sandpaper and remove a bunch of material to see if I can get it smooth again because I don't want it to be sloppy fitting. Also, it's the thin side of the grip safety so I don't want to make it weak. And it's probably mim so Idk if it will even polish out to be honest? Anyways, my question is this: If my gun came with an extended beavertail grip safety will like a wilson replacement one need to be fitted to the frame or should I be able to just drop it in? Anyone with experience with this particular gun would be great? I would also like to replace the slide stop and thumb safety just to have bulletproof parts on for a piece of mind. Thanks, Scott
I just received a stainless drop-in beavertail from Wilson Combat. Surprisingly, it did drop right in to my Delta Elite. It isnt perfect, could use some sanding to make it seemless, but it functions very well with no modification. It definitely allows for a higher grip.

Posted from 1911forum.com App for Android
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 PM

Nice work. That will be nice on the prehensile thumb!
John 3:16
Old 11-07-2013, 01:23 PM

nice work! i have had a few times when the beavertail just did not sit well in the frame on its lower sides, one side hit the frame and a gap on the other.i found that if i took the beavertail to a flat piece of steel and slowly manipulated it (smacked it good) with a flat face hammer on the high high i could get it to fit quite well with equal gaps on the lower tail sides.then on to grinding filing sanding and deburring.and i love the fact you used masking tape in the process-gunsmiths best friend
Old 11-08-2013, 02:37 AM

Thank you. This post may be old, but it is still relevant.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:44 AM

Don't worry, this post is relevant.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:13 AM

custom beavertail

No offense to all the hard work you guys put into your guns. Beautiful and masterful install btw. And not saying I couldnt do this. But when I saw the work involved, I went a different route. Why buy parts that need fitting and run the risk of damaging your frame and making it a paper weight? I got a call from a buddy who had just set up his plating business. I took the already fittimg a mm d existing pieces and had them industrial nickle plated. Ive droped it, more than once, and it hasnt so much as scuffed. And nickle doesnt rust. I haye rust. Thats why 9/10 of my internals are stainless or plated. You can get beight or dull. I went with sull. I love the crude simplicity of metal looking parts.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:54 PM

Asked the local gunsmith. He said Ed Brown.
Before
After
Gunsmith did the work no i.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:08 AM

Many thanks for this info!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 PM

Anyone know of a beavertail GS that will work well with a GI style stubby hammer?

1917-Colt Gov't/SIG 1911XO/A-O 1911PKZSEW
Life Member: NRA, 82nd ABN Assoc, 75th RGR Assoc
Old 03-18-2014, 11:11 AM

Great post!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolwrench View Post
Thanks for sharing with the forum. Many will now appreciate why a world-class beavertail fit is not a $50 task.
Boy howdy! And I know your talents too Pistolwrench! Funny, recently I've seen many home hack jobs here and other forums. This is a job that takes talent, not just a grinder.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:12 AM

OUTSTANDING WORK!
I did this when I built my 1911's from frame forgings...they turned out perfect!
My RIA Tactical came with a fitted Beavertail grip safety that is just as perfect!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:06 PM

Nice work.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:25 PM

Very Cool. I am impressed.
NRA Instructor
Old 06-06-2015, 06:11 AM

Grip Safety Tools

Would it be possible to post a drawing with dimensions of your custom aluminum grip safety holding tools? Beautiful work....
Old 06-06-2015, 06:24 AM

Great work..........
Colt .38 Super blued
Old 06-12-2015, 06:17 AM

Thank you for posting this.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:11 PM

Beavertail

Always had a bad case of hammer bite. When the beavertails came out couldn't wait to get one. It came with a pattern to mark on the gun. Marked it out, cut what I could with a hacksaw then 4-5 hours with a file. A good friend was a gunsmith and he hard chromed the frame, reblued the slide, and mounted combat sights. 30 years + and many thousands of rounds later still looks like new. Thanks to Victor Bortungo where ever you are.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:04 PM

Sweet!
Old 03-12-2016, 03:30 PM

TGR great job, great pics, does take nerve?
Not to take away from you but I found similar work on BT from 36 years ago on P Smith
forum to slim BT also which I did, I used India stones,I had them and other natural and
ceramic stones. Was nervous always kept thought gunsmith can fix my screw up wasn't
necessary. Lee
trust but verify
Old 03-28-2016, 02:29 PM

Beaver tail fitting

GREAT instructions- thanks