On gaining a new perspective... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 01:38 PM

On gaining a new perspective...

Last night whilst walking my dog (armed of course) I began to ponder on how I was able to survive with little or no tactical awareness the majority of my life. Just a little sheep walking around in a clueless daze most of the time, like much of the masses. Nary a thought about the potential of great harm; most of my travels were in seemingly Ďsafeí places, so why bother?

I contrasted my prior ignorant state to my recent illumination, primarily owed to the information I have obtained from this forum. And, it has only been a little over two weeks since I started this new journey, after acquiring my first 1911 (and first handgun in several years) and carrying it regularly. I got my CCW last March to prep for this but wasnít able to acquire a firearm until I got my ďChristmas presentĒ Ė a lightly used Magnum Research DE 1911c.

The responsibility of protecting my family is something Iíve always owned; I also feel that if Iím able to help someone else, Iíll try to do so if possible. As a CCW licensee (and now possessing of a firearm) Iím equipped with more tools to do the same, and to a greater degree. In fact, I even feel obligated to do so. Itís not about ďshould I carry over to the convenience store that is less than 75 yards from my doorstepĒ, itís about being ready to help at any time, any place (which is why I also carry jumper cables Ė in my car, not on my hip). Itís not driven by any fear whatsoever; itís my responsibility.

Not that I was really worried too much in the past Ė I have some common sense, appear to be somewhat athletic, ex-Navy, and tall. Occasionally Iím asked if Iím still in the service, or a LEO. With events over the past year, Iím curious if looking like a police officer (still rock a flat-top and walk like Iím on active duty) makes me more of a target. I dunno. I donít worry about it, but I am learning more of what goes through a BGís head (via this site) so I can be as prepared as possible.

My point is that Iím forever changed Ė I look at people and situations differently, and it has affected my approach to going practically anywhere. Not that this is a new thing to many on this forum, but it is for me. Not a burdensome one either. Anyway, just wanted to share, and say Ďthanksí for all the great info out here. Looking forward to digging into more.

Piece be with youÖ

Raz
Old 01-11-2017, 04:09 PM

A few thoughts on this: You cannot learn, on this site, what goes on in a bad guy's head.

But you CAN learn the guesses & conjecture of a buncha good guys.

As an example of guesswork, in my opinion looking military / LE would make you LESS of a target. Not more.

Because it's my theory that crims are more attracted to easy targets than hard ones.

Also, I think that convenience store 75 yards from your doorstep may be the most dangerous place you go. Many get hit multiple times. & if you go often, sooner or later you may be there when it happens.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razman11 View Post
L1911c.

I also feel that if Iím able to help someone else, Iíll try to do so if possible.

In fact, I even feel obligated to do so.

; itís my responsibility.

Raz

did you have the same mindset before you got a gun?
or
now that you have one, you're a Sheepdog?

..L.T.A.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
did you have the same mindset before you got a gun?
or
now that you have one, you're a Sheepdog?

..L.T.A.
Whenever possible I would stop to help people stuck on the side of the road, and still do. I'm more watchful and aware now than before, but not on "patrol" per se.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razman11 View Post
Whenever possible I would stop to help people stuck on the side of the road, and still do. I'm more watchful and aware now than before, but not on "patrol" per se.

Thanks Raz
I wasn't dogging you, I promise
I just know the "fight wrong" mindset has little to do with being armed

..L.T.A.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:23 AM

I have always had the Fight Wrong mindset. But now that I carry I'm less likely to be aggressive/confrontational with wrongdoers. The stakes are higher now, so I put extra effort into having more passive type involvement.

Like yesterday. There was a truck backed up to the Trek bike store here in La Mesa. There was an unlocked bike in the bed. This place is situated between a hobo camp & the trolley station. --------- Yikes! Either it was a police Bait Bike or the owner's an idiot.

So I sat for awhile in my car watching people walk by, look at the bike, see me, & keep walking. Eventually the dude came outside and I left.

Perfect. Watching out for others is a good thing. Try not to let it spiral into a bad one.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
Thanks Raz
I wasn't dogging you, I promise
I just know the "fight wrong" mindset has little to do with being armed

..L.T.A.
Agreed, and no offense taken.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I have always had the Fight Wrong mindset. But now that I carry I'm less likely to be aggressive/confrontational with wrongdoers. The stakes are higher now, so I put extra effort into having more passive type involvement.

Like yesterday. There was a truck backed up to the Trek bike store here in La Mesa. There was an unlocked bike in the bed. This place is situated between a hobo camp & the trolley station. --------- Yikes! Either it was a police Bait Bike or the owner's an idiot.

So I sat for awhile in my car watching people walk by, look at the bike, see me, & keep walking. Eventually the dude came outside and I left.

Perfect. Watching out for others is a good thing. Try not to let it spiral into a bad one.
I can definitely relate here! I do enjoy averting a potential catastrophe. One time not long after I got my Audi, I went to a store with a friend and left the sunroof open. As I was walking away, I noticed what appeared to be a homeless man walking through the parking lot approaching our area. I looked back and noticed that he was watching me and quickly looked away.

Spider sense kicked in and I decided to go back and close my sunroof. he greeted me and tried to pass off as being friendly, but he knew that I knew he was not up to anything good. Nothing happened and he kept stepping.

Be careful out there!

Raz