Best cold weather stuff - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-06-2017, 05:22 PM

Best cold weather stuff

What's your go to cold weather gear...pants,shirts, jackets,esc???...
Being it's was -6 hear in mo today and years of working all day out in the cold,wanted to see what ur go to gear was
Underarmor tops and bottom 4.0....think they were $55each

Mixed heavy socks, best carhart, underarmour ok...$20 each..
Duluth fleece lined work pants..$78
Underarmor storm 1 fleeece...$100
Carhart hoodie wastes proof...$60
Bib's insulated Berne....$60
Carhart jacket with hood...$89
Full face mask Wal-Mart...$20
Carhart beanie....$25
Muck Arctic...$160
Oakleys flj...$150
Jerseys and bulkhead gloves...$6
26lbs...wear it all day lol
Old 01-06-2017, 06:41 PM

It all starts with the feet for me, so in winter it's Danner insulated boots and SmartWool socks. If your feet hurt it'll mess with your mindset. My go-to brand for the rest is usually Carhartt because it wears like iron, even though I don't work outdoors.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:53 PM

Redwing 1412 (I think that's the model)
Heavy black cotton socks.....white ones aren't as warm. Temps under 5 and if I'm gonna be outside I'll wear some thermal style socks and have extras in my truck.
Carhart black artic bibs. Long underwear make me sweat too much.
Layers as far as shirt/sweatshirts/etc
Company provides hi viz jacket
Standard ski type hat
Gloves can be tricky. Layers seem to work the best.

Been doing Overhead doors for 20+ years. Currently an ironworker from local 63

Old 01-06-2017, 07:05 PM

I like smart wool thermal top and bottoms, but for socks I prefer the REI brand wool blend socks. They feel softer and breath better for me than smartwool.

For boots I have a number of pairs of Danners, but my Ft. Lewis are my warmest pair. Pants I wear regular 5.11 BDUs with goretex trousers over them in real cold/ wet. I have two issue Goretex military parkas, but if it's not wet I prefer my Arcteryx Synthetic puffy. If it's wet I wear my Arcteryx Bravo soft shell under goretex.

This morning I had an hour-long commute at 30* F on my motorcycle, with 75mph wind chill...it was definitely brisk. I have an Arcteryx balaclava that is worth its weight in gold while riding in cold weather.

Last edited by BoulderTroll; 01-06-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:35 PM

Polyprop base layer.
I've got my old coyote fur trimmed military arctic gear for when it's really bad.
Probably illegal in CA now.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
Polyprop base layer.
I've got my old coyote fur trimmed military arctic gear for when it's really bad.
Probably illegal in CA now.
You can still buy coyote fur coats, but only one per person every thirty days, and there's a 10-day cool off period.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:10 PM

wool is still one of the best imHo
Works when wet too
it's only real drawback is it's bulk

poly, poly wool blends and polyfleece in different weights are the base layers that offer best warmth without the bulk of full Merino wool..and it pretty much all use now except for socks

when I'm outside in the cold (it was 2 this morning here) I've learned one of the best simple things you can have is a fleece neck gaiter

boots.....unfortunately, the best for warmth are also pretty bulky .

whatever boots you choose, they can't be tight on your foot with your sock layers on

The cold gear socks that work best for me starts with a shear/thin poly breathable liner then over that Merino wool.. either medium, thick or thicker wt depending on what/where/how I'm doing outside

edit to add...speaking of wool socks...be sure to check the label on those "wool" socks
Most are poly with only a small portion of wool..often less than 20%
if not mistaken, most of my wool socks are 90% Merino wool and the 10% spandex material (lycra??) otherwise they won't stay up without the "stretch"
..L.T.A.

Last edited by Cappi; 01-06-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:36 PM

Best cold weather stuff

Smart wool socks and this year gave up my arctic sport muck boots for 1000 gram 50$ TSC specials. Cabela's polartec long underwear and under armor base layer with an under armor 2.0 over that and 2 Carhartt 1/4 zip sweatshirts with either a silk cowboy scarf or shemagh. Gloves I buy the lumberyard specials . And a beanie or if you want super warm a Stormy Kroeger hat is awesome. This week with wind chills we were into 30 below and being outside wasn't that bad. Tomorrow is 20 below and I plan on wearing that with camo and coyote hunting. Layering and having dry warm spares are important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Foxrider512; 01-06-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 PM

Back in the day when I had to do such things.

We would use whatever we could get. When I was working as a rating though you always had to under dress to a degree. Not only did you have to have a degree of mobility. But God help you if you start to sweat and it is twenty below. Especially if you are just beginning the watch. Wool was great, thinsulate when it showed up was and is great. One of the best kept secrets I have to think is Silk pantyhose, yes Silk pantyhose. On the Alaska run we all wore it, it was great. I will never forget that one year we were shuttling from Valdez AK to San Francisco CA. Funny that the stores in Frisco had silk pantyhose in our sizes and did not bat an eye when we all bought them.

I forget who figured this out. But check it out guys if you are still working in seriously cold weather. You will be pleasantly surprised. For footwear, the Bean boots from L.L. Bean were always the best in my experience. They have them in uninsulated, insulated and arctic grade. They were always the best bang for the buck. They may have better things on the market now. But now I do not have to go out if I do not want to. Stay warm people.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:06 PM

Foxrider512;

You mean Stormy Kromer.

https://www.stormykromer.com/
Old 01-06-2017, 09:06 PM

Yeah, autocorrect and I don't get along too well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 09:09 PM

For really cold weather, 20 down to -20:
LL Bean boots with thinsulate insulation.
Wool socks.
Flannel lined khakis.
Long underwear (my metal knees get cold)
Heavy flannel shirt.
B-3 sheepskin jacket.
B-2 sheepskin cap
A-9 sheepskin mittins

I've never been cold dressed like this, but I don't wear it often in Tennessee. But tonight it's going down to 8 to 10 degrees.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post

The cold gear socks that work best for me starts with a shear/thin poly breathable liner then over that Merino wool.. either medium, thick or thicker wt depending on what/where/how I'm doing outside

edit to add...speaking of wool socks...be sure to check the label on those "wool" socks
if not mistaken, most of my wool socks are 90% Merino wool and the 10% spandex material (lycra??) otherwise they won't stay up without the "stretch"
..L.T.A.
Liner socks will make your expensive wool socks last much longer as they eliminate the friction that wears socks out. They can take some getting used to as they feel slick. It is worth it though.
I wear wool socks with liners year 'round now.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:01 PM

70% or better Merino wool socks -$4
Polypropolene long johns top and bottom - $15 (guess)
Work/hiking boots w/rubber bottom
Carhart bibs
Fleece pull over shirt or a flannel shirt.
Carhart jacket if it's really cold
My own home made balaclava, sort of just cloth pull over my head with a long neck on it and the face open. Light material like a bandana.
Some kind of ball cap or a wide brim fedora kind of hat it it looks like damp weather. May be just a Yorkie flat cap if not.

Some cloth work gloves.

A zippo hand warmer if I might be out all day long, like ice fishing or something.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 01-06-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:11 PM

I have a coat from sportsmansguide.com that is the best winter coat I ever owned. Fleece inner shell, gortex outer with hood. Mechanix Thinsulate armored gloves. Asolo Gortex boots, North face zip off climbing pants (Waterproof). Wigwam socks
Old 01-21-2017, 08:20 AM

what I wear in Minnesota winters working construction
flannel lounge pants
tee shirt
sweat shirt
work pants
pullover hoodie
hooded chore coat
heavy socks
work boots
when it gets below zero add bib insulated coveralls and sorel boots
on my hands jersey gloves under yellow chore gloves keep extras to switch when wet
Old 01-21-2017, 08:58 AM

Darn Tough socks are much better than the more popular Smart Wool socks.
Boot selection depends on outdoor conditions and planned activities
Polypropylene long underwear with a zipper on the chest.
Every winter I spray my Carhartt type outer jacket with a PTEF type spray. It doesn't stain and makes the coat water proof for the next several months.
good fleece cap or oilskin hat on top
Old 02-07-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
wool is still one of the best imHo
Works when wet too
it's only real drawback is it's bulk

poly, poly wool blends and polyfleece in different weights are the base layers that offer best warmth without the bulk of full Merino wool..and it pretty much all use now except for socks

when I'm outside in the cold (it was 2 this morning here) I've learned one of the best simple things you can have is a fleece neck gaiter

boots.....unfortunately, the best for warmth are also pretty bulky .

whatever boots you choose, they can't be tight on your foot with your sock layers on

..L.T.A.
I still use filson cape wool coat and when in NH used their heavy wool pants Idid not want to fall in a stream and wore a windbreaker wool didn't turn the wind much but it still kept you warm if wet.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:55 PM

What cold weather?
Attached Thumbnails
polar-bear-hero.jpg  
Old 02-07-2017, 09:22 PM

I've come to really like the insulated Firehose stuff from Duluth Trading.

A nephew in law works the snow crew at DIA and loves his for frigid weather comfort.