Best Bug Out Vehicle - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 01-11-2017, 01:01 AM

Tactical wheelbarrow. Well, according to GunKid.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chapman View Post
I bought a Toyota 4dr Offroad Tacoma last October as my primary vehicle and as my Bug Out vehicle. I had a Extended F-150 4X4 as my vehicle before. Since, I have wondered did I buy the wrong vehicle as a B O truck. I miss the room I had as full size vs a compact truck and also there is not as much room to stash a AR or Shotgun. I know that in Afghanistan Hi-Lux seems to be vehicle of choice for the Taliban as they are tuff and go just about anywhere. But I was looking more for a B O vehicle that I can fill up with supplies and this has not lived up as a cargo perfect vehicle. So my question now is "Which vehicle would you recommend as the best Bug Out Vehicle?"
It all depends on what you mean by bug out. The Toyota could be the best choice or at least the best compromise. Do you want to hit trails and disappear in the woods? How much stuff do you plan to take? Under my thought process I would want 4 wd and enough power to pull a trailer with my stuff. The Tacoma will do that and might be the best compromise. If you want to pull and rv and take your motorcycle then opt for a bigger vehicle. If you are looking for maximum range consider diesels. How many people? Would a Suv be better? Each person has their own idea of what a bug out will be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old Today, 10:48 AM

Here is my truck! Just missing my friends

Last edited by grayden; Today at 10:55 AM. Reason: Wrong pic
Old Today, 12:26 PM

Anything with a mechanical Cummins diesel, 4whd, and 3\4 to 1 ton running gear minimum, with a stick, no autos, no semi floats, no electronics, no gas burners, everything else is just a toy
"It is very simple. The model 80 is complete and total garbage only good for melting down to make steel core bullets. The model 70 was handed down from God to JMB in a devine inspiration of gunmaking genius. So take your choice"

Last edited by jeepranch; Today at 12:33 PM.
Old Today, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Toyota Prius. Nobody would suspect me of being a prepper in that thing so I'd just sail right past every roadblock or possible threat.

Seriously, I think whatever you use it needs to be low-maintenance and easy on fuel. All wheel drive is an obvious plus, but since so many of those are gas hogs maybe something smaller like a Subaru?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old Today, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_glockie View Post
No flaming but...it would be a Subaru Outback with a trailer.

We're in the market for a new car and after 10 years and 208k miles we like the Subie. The issue I had with the Tacoma was the gas mileage as I would use it as a daily driver. And at $30k the trim package could be nicer.

In my area, the Subie with a roofrack would unnoticeable.
We may pick up an older truck in the future.

The Jetta could be a stealth BOV as the trunk is HUGE.
I love big pickup trucks as well as the next guy but for this, give me something like your Subaru or a Honda CRV any day. They can haul enough stuff and the mileage is so much better and they are bullet proof for the most part. And they are AWD. A lot would depend on the availability of gasoline.
Old Today, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
You can load your Subaru to it's rated capacity with your stuff, you and three friends and I could stick your loaded Subaru in the bed of my F350 and still go places that car never could. Those are 35" tires for scale. Diesel torque, 600 mile range with 4000lbs on board.

If I want to have all the comforts of home as I bug-out I throw on the camper. (I no longer have that style tiedown taking away ground clearance.)

Steve, you win. without question that beast will do it all. Besides the power, FX4 package and range - its engine will last forever. Road Block? What road block!

Ford Tough