Best Bug Out Vehicle - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 01-07-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_glockie View Post
No flaming but...it would be a Subaru Outback with a trailer.

We're in the market for a new car and after 10 years and 208k miles we like the Subie. The issue I had with the Tacoma was the gas mileage as I would use it as a daily driver. And at $30k the trim package could be nicer.

In my area, the Subie with a roofrack would unnoticeable.
We may pick up an older truck in the future.

The Jetta could be a stealth BOV as the trunk is HUGE.
You would fit in well in Bend, OR...They issue Subaru Outbacks when you move into the town. Buddies of mine stood on a street corner in Bend and out of 10 cars that went past 9 were Outbacks.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:

We're in the market for a new car and after 10 years and 208k miles we like the Subie. The issue I had with the Tacoma was the gas mileage as I would use it as a daily driver. And at $30k the trim package could be nicer.

The problem with a car, while fuel efficient, is that they have limited capabilities. The Subaru has a 3k lb towing limits, the Jetta about the same. No matter how large the trunk, cargo weight will be limited.. Mobility is limited to improved, if unpaved, roads. The ability to cross or breech obstacles is significantly limited.

If you're "bugging out", is it a permanent or temporary situation? How much stuff do you need to take with you? How many pax? How far? In what terrain or weather conditions?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 01-07-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:

You can load your Subaru to it's rated capacity with your stuff, you and three friends and I could stick your loaded Subaru in the bed of my F350 and still go places that car never could. Those are 35" tires for scale. Diesel torque, 600 mile range with 4000lbs on board.

If I want to have all the comforts of home as I bug-out I throw on the camper. (I no longer have that style tiedown taking away ground clearance.)

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Old 01-07-2017, 10:03 PM

My brothers ' deuce and a half '...
Old 01-08-2017, 05:35 AM

Either 1 of these would be mine? Except the Blazer has a 502 under the hood and gets around 3 mpg, the Tahoe mostly stock gets around 6 mpg, so I could get further on foot.
My plan is to bug in fight it out.
Attached Thumbnails
20150809_115943.jpg  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:04 AM

Not sure how to post my pics...got a 96 gmc 4x4 about 15mpg range about 350 mile locker rear 3 inch lift on 32 cam and a light tune...go to for close range hard to get to places...long range rig 9p chevy 2wd long bed...19 mixed mpg. 640 mile range...700 on the hw...my go to if I need to get some were with out stopping not the best rigs but will do for now
Old 01-08-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
You can load your Subaru to it's rated capacity with your stuff, you and three friends and I could stick your loaded Subaru in the bed of my F350 and still go places that car never could. Those are 35" tires for scale. Diesel torque, 600 mile range with 4000lbs on board.

If I want to have all the comforts of home as I bug-out I throw on the camper. (I no longer have that style tiedown taking away ground clearance.)

Now that's a BOV and home away from home. Looks like a perfect set up except for a horse and a mule in trailer and you have it all. Like the camper also, will check into that manufacturer.

Is that Power Panels on top of the camper?

Last time I was in 29 Palms at the base was in 69 training, I bet that place has changed.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:02 AM

Ok of course I agree that it is best to stay put but if you make the call to roll out, then you need a vehicle that is capable both on and off road. Can make use of various fuel sources, can pack your essential gear and can take abuse. That recipe spells a Toyota diesel to me. I have a Series 40 Diesel landcruiser. It has a short wheel base sonit can make tight turns even on a narrow off road trail. It has very few electronic components. Seats two up front and 8 in the rear with fold down bench seats or use all that rear space for cargo. As it is an older diesel, ot can run on diesel, home heating oil, vegetable cooking oil and even some waste.oils in a pinch, kerosene and yes, jet fuel. P.s. I would add the veggie oil to the JP as jet fuel, kerosene are lower lubricity and the injection pump will need some lubrication love. Last, in terms of durability, punishment diesel hiluxes are the go to vehicle for every rebel group from Mongolia to the Amazon. When things pop that is the vehicle that they jump into to drive deep into the jungle or the burning desert. I have seen these things overloaded with refugees, med gear or anti aircraft guns and keep rolling for years. Same diesel engine and tranny as in many Landcruisers. Add a rooftop tent and you are rolling in quite a platform.
Ruger SR1911 Commander, .45, Glock 30 SF .45, Marlin 1895 GBL in 45/70,Marlin Golden 39M Mountie .22, Remington 870 Express Magnum Scatter gun (project) 12 ga, .50 Investarms Hawken, CVA Wolf .50 cal Smokepole, 5.56 Colt LE SOCOM/ M4 6920 Black rifle.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:15 AM

Unimog preferably the AMG version that was made a few years ago!!!!
Old 01-08-2017, 01:19 PM

Best Bug Out Vehicle

Factory rifle racks. Queen size mattress can fit in the cargo area. Shielded electrical system. Air cooled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EB KC
Novak Spec Ops BHP

Last edited by Embark; 01-08-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:32 PM

Big fan of truck campers. Best BOV in my opinion.

Last edited by LWolken; 01-08-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:08 PM

I like the mobility of the PU campers. But I am already invested in a horse trainer that has room to take "Stuff" plus 2-3 horses, the 4 wheelers, horses, tack, generators and the truck to pull it. I am working on a flatbed car trainer to pull with the Land Cruiser to take my John Deere. (I know, its a bit excessive). This is more of an INCH load out than BOB. BUT, if I do have to temporarily relocate, at least I will have the preponderance of my stuff when the all clear is given.

Last edited by fast eddie; 01-08-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:24 PM

Some pickup campers are pretty nice, but I'd far rather have a truck towing an overland trailer with the rooftop tent/ shower/ everything else combo. It keeps the center of gravity lower, allows the berthing area to be detached from the transportation, and allows carrying far more gear. Or if you were willing to rough it, just a utility trailer and a few ground expedition tents...take up far less space and weight.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chapman View Post
Now that's a BOV and home away from home. Looks like a perfect set up except for a horse and a mule in trailer and you have it all. Like the camper also, will check into that manufacturer.

Is that Power Panels on top of the camper?

Last time I was in 29 Palms at the base was in 69 training, I bet that place has changed.
Well you got me beat as I didn't make it to 29 until 77 and after getting out of the Marines on a Medical as a GySgt, I did 19 years there as a Civil Servant until I retired in 2015. The place is almost unrecognizable from the 70s but many of the the original concrete squad bays as well as the movie theater are still standing and being used.

The camper is from www.Outfittermfg.com. That side view picture of my truck/camper is used on their site, as is a picture of our first camper we had them build. They build semi-custom campers to the buyer's specs but they aren't cheap though. For a while my camper was the most highly optioned/modified unit they had built and some of the modifications I came up with are now a standard option.

Yes I have 270W of solar on the roof, 4 Lifeline AGM 6V batteries and a Xantrex Prosine 2K inverter. As well as dual Honda 2Ks I can bring if needed. Bob did a custom build on my roof to accommodate the panels and other items. Those panels are going on 15 years old though so newer versions could get the same output with only two panels instead of the three I used.

It is a very small operation out of Longmont, CO run by Bob the owner and his son Brian. If you talk to them tell them Steve Urban from 29 Palms said hi.

While not a horse I do have this noble steed that can come along as well.

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan
Old 01-08-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embark View Post

Factory rifle racks. Queen size mattress can fit in the cargo area. Shielded electrical system. Air cooled.

Pinzgauers are cool but they are pretty small. What kind of load capacity does that have? Also good luck getting parts once the internet and mail order goes down.

Ronald Reagan
Old 01-08-2017, 08:27 PM

As I see it, in a serious "get out of Dodge" situation, the problem is going to be the 30,000 other people jamming the highways out of town. And sure as Christmas, there'll be at least one wreck on each road, bringing traffic to a halt.

The answer to that, other than a monster truck big enough to simply drive over annoying vehicles, is a motorcycle. You can get between stalled cars, ride on the shoulder, or take off cross-country where no 4x4 could follow.

Downside: short range, limited cargo capacity, particularly with a passenger.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Pinzgauers are cool but they are pretty small. What kind of load capacity does that have? Also good luck getting parts once the internet and mail order goes down.

2,200 lbs payload. I would be more worried about fuel and lubricant availability than parts. These were built when "milspec" still meant something.

EB KC
Novak Spec Ops BHP
Old 01-10-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
2,200 lbs payload. I would be more worried about fuel and lubricant availability than parts. These were built when "milspec" still meant something.

I was in the Marines when "mil-spec still meant something" and things STILL broke. Just saying.

Ronald Reagan
Old 01-10-2017, 06:11 PM

Talking

Quote:
I was in the Marines when "mil-spec still meant something" and things STILL broke. Just saying.
HELLO!!!! Marines!!! We got PAID to break stuff!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:

You and me both, but that's not a fair statement, Marines can break anything. In all seriousness, who here thinks fuel will still be available 6 months after TEOTWAWKI? All my vehicle has to do is get me 140 miles to the farm and out of town. After that I'm not going anywhere if I can help it. The gentleman that posted about the mules nailed it. The roads will be a clogged mess of vehicles after a week. Either you have something akin to a snowplow or you get something small and capable enough to maneuver through and around the mess.

EB KC
Novak Spec Ops BHP
Old 01-10-2017, 07:44 PM

The reality is, the best bug out vehicle is like the best survival weapon. It's the one you have with you when SHTF.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:54 PM

BEAST!

And Mini-BEAST for maneuverability.

Last edited by honeybadger45; 01-10-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed2death View Post
HELLO!!!! Marines!!! We got PAID to break stuff!
LOL

Put a Marine in a straight jacket and lock him in a padded room with two steel ball bearings. Come back later and one ball bearing will be broke and the other missing.

Ronald Reagan
Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
You and me both, but that's not a fair statement, Marines can break anything. In all seriousness, who here thinks fuel will still be available 6 months after TEOTWAWKI? All my vehicle has to do is get me 140 miles to the farm and out of town. After that I'm not going anywhere if I can help it. The gentleman that posted about the mules nailed it. The roads will be a clogged mess of vehicles after a week. Either you have something akin to a snowplow or you get something small and capable enough to maneuver through and around the mess.

Depends on the actual event but I mostly agree. Which is why I already live bugged out further then most people will ever make it. We are the last gas for 100 miles. Which is why I say we aren't going anywhere and the truck is only really for if the need arises to make it to my son's place in TX.

When we leave CA (hopefully by the end of this year) it will be for a place even further bugged out.

Ronald Reagan
Old 01-10-2017, 11:28 PM

Jeep CJ8 Scrambler. It is very difficult to get them stuck, and that big bed has a lot more space for gear than a CJ7. Another choice If I could not choose an armoured vehicle would be an old government CUCV Chevy square body pickup. There used to be a lot in surplus auctions. They are basically 4x4 1 ton diesel trucks with a dull camo paint. Still sexy none the less. There is a farmer in my area who drives his reagulary.