Best Bug Out Vehicle - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 01-04-2017, 07:48 AM

Best Bug Out Vehicle

I bought a Toyota 4dr Offroad Tacoma last October as my primary vehicle and as my Bug Out vehicle. I had a Extended F-150 4X4 as my vehicle before. Since, I have wondered did I buy the wrong vehicle as a B O truck. I miss the room I had as full size vs a compact truck and also there is not as much room to stash a AR or Shotgun. I know that in Afghanistan Hi-Lux seems to be vehicle of choice for the Taliban as they are tuff and go just about anywhere. But I was looking more for a B O vehicle that I can fill up with supplies and this has not lived up as a cargo perfect vehicle. So my question now is "Which vehicle would you recommend as the best Bug Out Vehicle?"
Old 01-04-2017, 08:18 AM

Ive used and abused my 2001 Dodge Durango XLT. It goes absolutely everywhere in any weather with AWD and 4HI/4LOW. If I had to split today, I'd take it. Its served me well over the past 15 years and even with 220k miles on it, I trust it to start and run.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 AM

I'm going to the police station and stealing an armored personnel carrier.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:41 AM

4 wheel drive chevy/ford van. I have a Toyota Tacoma 4dr off road short bed. They are great trucks, run forever, and go most places. However they don't carry lots of gear, or lots of people.

If you don't normally need the bed, you can get a locking bed cover and use it like a trunk. Similar concept with putting a locking tool box in the bed. Could even turn it backwards so you can get to it from the sliding back glass. I may or may not have done that with a cooler full of beer before.

Last edited by jago668; 01-04-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:47 AM

I have a Tacoma, though it's not the 4 dr. It's the Access Cab. I love it, though it needed a spring upgrade. Tacomas often have issues with their rear springs.
If you need a lockable storage case, check out ESP Truck accessories. They make covers that fit the one under the rear seat. Unfortunately, they don't make one for the access cab, so I'm SOL.
You might also check out a company called Decked. They make a bed liner that has pull out drawers that are big enough to carry a rifle. More than one actually. You will lose about 7" of bed depth. But, the whole unit can handle up to 2000# placed on top. According to their propaganda anyway.
Unfortunately, they don't yet make one for the Tacoma. But, those are due out mid 2017. I plan on getting one as soon as they come out.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:51 AM

I'm in Okinawa right now but I'm driving a Mitsubishi Delica. 4 wheel drive lifted mini van. Seats 8, gets 20 mpg, and every seat folds down and turns it into a queen size bed inside. If I could I'd take this thing back to the states with me.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 AM

I've got a mid-sized 4WD Chevy. It'll have to do. But, I live in a fairly large city. Rush hour is pretty bad here. If everyone is bugging out, I'm not sure I can get out. Also, I can go about 300 miles on a tank of gas. After that, I'm assuming I and the rest of us will all be stuck. Gas stations would be empty in no time
Old 01-04-2017, 09:53 AM

I see a bugout vehicle as primarily a means to get from point A to point B with the people and equipment you need to take. This assumes you have a point B to go to. You may, at least for a time, be able to source fuel, so something easy to maintain and efficient is a bonus.

Size is dependent on how many people and how much kit. My wife and I can make due with my 1st Gen Tacoma. The back "seat" is worthless for people, but fine for the dogs and some kit. The proper 6' bed has enough space, even with the toolbox. Simple, rugged, reasonably powerful V6, runs forever if you give it a little oil.... Lightweight and capable in all sorts of terrain. With 35" Duratracs, 16.5mpg mixed driving on winter gas, 18 on summer- not great, but tolerable for the clearance and capability. Spares should be easy to scavenge for; many of the parts interchange with other Toyota products.

A Tacoma can be loaded quite heavily, with a rear spring upgrade. Make some sideboards, and you can easily load cab-high or more...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 01-04-2017, 10:00 AM

And once one gets on the road in an apocalypse scenario, then one must defend all your possessions with one or two shooters in a sheet metal cab.

Fun times.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:56 AM

Right now I drive a 2002 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 quad cab. Nice truck, but I find that I don't really use the truck bed and my wife's Honda CRV has more usable space than the inside of the RAM quad cab.

Although I have been happy with this truck, my next vehicle will probably be an SUV of some sort.

What I want would have to meet the following:

20 mpg - this would have to be a daily driver.
Ability to tow 3K+ lbs.
Storage inside rather than outside.
Light to moderate off road - Not going to run the Rubicon, but will need to handle the occasional open field.
MUST have a good heater - it can get a tad bit on the chilly side during the winter and I like to be nice and warm.

Unfortunately, it seems like all of the newer SUVs are nothing more that glorified station wagons and are not really designed with off road in mind. I have been thinking lately of getting something older and rebuilding it to match my wants and needs.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:17 AM

Now this is very far away from most ideologies, but prior to the whole scandal thing, What about a vw diesel Jetta/Passat sedan? Situationally speaking, it can fit 4 adults, has trunk space for extra gear, and a 700 mile fuel capacity. I recall in 2009 people waiting multiple hours in lines to fill up with gasoline, while diesel pumps were business as usual. Slap a random university/Mac sticker on the back and it fits quite well into the grey man theory. While terrain would be challenging to say the least, point A to point B, I believe it would shine in many locales.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 AM

Best Bug Out Vehicle

The perfect grey man b o vehicle in Finland would be Octavia or Suberb STW (VWs in Skoda suit).

Room aplenty and 4wd (sort of) available. Diesel-version gets an easy 700 miles with full tank and reasonable ride to boot

Having said that, guess I'll stick with my old GMT400 and Hilux

-Garth

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mr_Garth; 01-04-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:21 PM

Bug Out

the very best "bug out"..vehicle is a pack mule or two...capable of going off road where NO vehicles of any kind will go.....roads will be a traffic jam as far as the eye can see......no dependence on fuel...will not eat things that will make a horse sick....has radar like ears that will hear things long before you will...just pay attention.....good ones can be ridden farther than you would ever want to walk...EMP proof..the virtues go on and on....going to call mine..."Sadie & Sam"

Last edited by 1911MILSPEC2015; 01-04-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:40 PM

First and most importantly, my plan is to never BO. That said, we have a Toyota Land Cruiser, probably one of the best off road vehicles made, despite their "Luxury Car" Status. We also have an F-250 4x4 crew cab and a 2+1 horse trailer as well as 4 wheelers and horses.

If we were ever forced out, I would pack the trailer with 4 wheelers, supplies, tack and horses and then mourn the death of my Land Cruiser.

I agree Tacoma's (and Tundras) are great trucks and excellent options.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:26 PM

I just sold my 2002 4Runner, and I currently have a 2009 Tacoma and will be buying another 2017 Tacoma. I love Tacos, and can't imagine a vehicle I'd prefer to have for bugging out.

My primary mode of transportation is my BMW R1200GS (my wife and daughter drive the Toyotas). I think a motorcycle/ Tacoma combo is excellent for bugging out or just about anything else.

This thread is worthless without pics...

Last edited by BoulderTroll; 01-04-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:32 PM

Diesel...stick...4x4...3/4ton...full size. My vote...1983+ f250. With the 6.9. I got 17mpg. Haul anything. Go any were. Motor and trans won't break. Lots of room.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:09 PM

The least electronic and practical thing you could find.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
The least electronic and practical thing you could find.
A very valid point... problem is, its much more difficult to find or salvage parts for pre-computerized vehicles, and much less efficient... mid to late 90s offerings, while they have computers, are much simpler. Easy to replace, cheap enough to keep a spare ECU on hand.

One of the reasons I'm an early Taco fan... 10s of millions of vehicles made, some parts interchangability with other Toyota products, from Tundras to old Supras, and everything in between. For example, my 1st gen Tacoma has front brakes and calipers from a 1st gen Tundra- straight bolt on, in the driveway, in a couple hours.... front seats came out of a 4Runner. Half a dozen different Aisia transmissions are direct bolt on.... tons of ways to modify it to reduce complexity...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 01-04-2017, 09:19 PM

Decked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
I have a Tacoma, though it's not the 4 dr. It's the Access Cab. I love it, though it needed a spring upgrade. Tacomas often have issues with their rear springs.
If you need a lockable storage case, check out ESP Truck accessories. They make covers that fit the one under the rear seat. Unfortunately, they don't make one for the access cab, so I'm SOL.
You might also check out a company called Decked. They make a bed liner that has pull out drawers that are big enough to carry a rifle. More than one actually. You will lose about 7" of bed depth. But, the whole unit can handle up to 2000# placed on top. According to their propaganda anyway.
Unfortunately, they don't yet make one for the Tacoma. But, those are due out mid 2017. I plan on getting one as soon as they come out.
I am going to do the same on the pull out Bed Liner and I cant believe it is going to be mid 2017 before they come out. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:29 PM

Boulder Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
I just sold my 2002 4Runner, and I currently have a 2009 Tacoma and will be buying another 2017 Tacoma. I love Tacos, and can't imagine a vehicle I'd prefer to have for bugging out.

My primary mode of transportation is my BMW R1200GS (my wife and daughter drive the Toyotas). I think a motorcycle/ Tacoma combo is excellent for bugging out or just about anything else.

This thread is worthless without pics...

Since I have sold my 2004 R1150 RT I have been itching to get a another Beemer and it seems that would be good as an alternate single BOV only thing better if I lived out west/country would be as Milspec2015 says a mule or horses. Like the idea of a bike though.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:37 PM

Fast Eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
First and most importantly, my plan is to never BO. That said, we have a Toyota Land Cruiser, probably one of the best off road vehicles made, despite their "Luxury Car" Status. We also have an F-250 4x4 crew cab and a 2+1 horse trailer as well as 4 wheelers and horses.

If we were ever forced out, I would pack the trailer with 4 wheelers, supplies, tack and horses and then mourn the death of my Land Cruiser.

I agree Tacoma's (and Tundras) are great trucks and excellent options.
If the case comes to I cant BO then it is Fight or Die but I wish I could live more in the country. I know that Hank was right Country boys will survive. Looks like you would do good with what you have.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:43 PM

Have a Silverado 2500 that I love, will always have a diesel, hope not to have to "bug out" as if I or we do, it'll be a cluster. Would love an EMP proof old Ford someday
Old 01-04-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chapman View Post
Since I have sold my 2004 R1150 RT I have been itching to get a another Beemer and it seems that would be good as an alternate single BOV only thing better if I lived out west/country would be as Milspec2015 says a mule or horses. Like the idea of a bike though.
Sorry to hear you sold your RT, Mike. You've definitely got to grab another Beemer. My post was half in jest, but my R1200GS wouldn't be half bad in a disaster scenario. There are pros and cons to every vehicle you can name. The R1200GS is inundated with advanced electronics. My bike is "fly by wire", with ABS, and 5 ride modes that control the throttle output, breaking, suspension dampening, and clutch sensitivity. It has shift assist (clutch is not necessary between gears 2-6). It has an integrated GPS that has 32 fields of information about the bike systems. While this stuff makes it a dream to ride, technology can be a weak point in a disaster situation. That's the downside.

On the plus side, it can get 55MPG, and carry nearly 500lbs of gear not including myself. While you can find much more capable off-road bikes, you'll be hard pressed to find one that balances the big GS's dirt and gear carrying capability. But the biggest reason of all that it would be a great disaster vehicle, is that I already have it and take it everywhere. Because while it's fun to talk about the ultimate weapon/ vehicle/ backpack, etc., the truth is the one you have with you when you need it may be the only one you're going to get.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:03 AM

I do not own one but I have always thought a Kawasaki C10 Concours 1000 would be the perfect vehicle to use. 7 1/2 gallon at 43 MPG = over 300 miles per tank. Great wind and weather protection. Easy to work on. Shaft drive. Ninja Motor so its more than fast enough and will easily go for 200,000 miles with basic maintenance. Removable side bags. I know people who ride with a passenger and all of there gear for long trips. So they will handle a ton of weight. And best of all you can purchase a good running low mileage one for under $2000.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:20 PM

No flaming but...it would be a Subaru Outback with a trailer.

We're in the market for a new car and after 10 years and 208k miles we like the Subie. The issue I had with the Tacoma was the gas mileage as I would use it as a daily driver. And at $30k the trim package could be nicer.

In my area, the Subie with a roofrack would unnoticeable.
We may pick up an older truck in the future.

The Jetta could be a stealth BOV as the trunk is HUGE.