1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-01-2017, 03:35 AM

What About the Lights?

Anyone stop to think about the lights?

After the world goes dark and your house is the only on on the street with lights after dark....

Growling bellies will come....

The prepper who has "everything" is the prepper most at risk for assault.

The guy who lays in a huge stock of food is but a resource for the guy who shows up with the resources to take it.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

And your point is?

OPSEC and preplanned working together with your neighbors to protect what's yours.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Light, noise litter discipline. Also a good pojnt as to why the fantasy lone hero thimg won't work. If you have a well stocked lair aside from being smart about it you need people you already trust to make it undesirable to others. Thimk the Korean store owners in the Rodney King riots.the ones that didn't get looted and burned.

Having and displaying are two different things. Do the latter and to paraphrase P.T Barnum. A foolish pepper and his supplies will soon be parted.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW

Old 01-01-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilibreaux View Post
Anyone stop to think about the lights?

After the world goes dark and your house is the only on on the street with lights after dark....

Growling bellies will come....

The guy who lays in a huge stock of food is but a resource for the guy who shows up with the resources to take it.
The preper who has everything also has lots of guns&ammo and took the time to reinforce his home so he can keep his stuff
Old 01-01-2017, 01:21 PM

The trick is.

To know when the right time to activate the minefield is.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilibreaux View Post

The prepper the has "everything" has the capability to defend it, and is most likely at low risk of assault from all but a very strong, coordinated, well focused attack.

And the "prepper" who's plan is to 'bug in' in the suburbs or urban environment for the long term isn't well prepared, regardless of how much stuff he has....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 01-01-2017, 03:26 PM

One thing that was glossed over was the smell of cooking food. Hungry people can smell for a surprisingly far distance. I've read reports from Bosnia in the 90s where they had to go through several hoops to masque the smell.

Rule #2 of prepping, never appear to be the only Have in the land of Have Nots. This is where locale, security, and OPSEC come in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2017, 08:30 PM

Our plan is to play the "grey man" and try hard not to be noticed. No neighbors within sight of the house but strict light control will have to be used. During the winter I can see where house lights may be seen through the woods.

We have a fairly serious solar setup so the ability to use electricity to cook and maintain limited property surveillance will be helpful.

Speaking of staying "under the radar" have you guys considered the smell of cooking food?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:27 PM

Lots of us have considered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt 1 View Post
Our plan is to play the "grey man" and try hard not to be noticed. No neighbors within sight of the house but strict light control will have to be used. During the winter I can see where house lights may be seen through the woods.

We have a fairly serious solar setup so the ability to use electricity to cook and maintain limited property surveillance will be helpful.

Speaking of staying "under the radar" have you guys considered the smell of cooking food?
Got any tips?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Got any tips?
Eat food cold if you can. Though wintertime almost demands hot food to get the most benefit from the calories.

Cook once a day or two and eat leftovers for the other meals.

Fact is though that it is pretty hard to hide the smell of food if people are close. VERY big concern in a city or even crowded suburb, MUCH less so if rural with lots of separation between properties. But it's funny that in the latter case there would be less need to hide it, as your few neighbors have probably all prepared as well and are working in concert with you.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:07 PM

Nice thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Eat food cold if you can. Though wintertime almost demands hot food to get the most benefit from the calories.

Cook once a day or two and eat leftovers for the other meals.

Fact is though that it is pretty hard to hide the smell of food if people are close. VERY big concern in a city or even crowded suburb, MUCH less so if rural with lots of separation between properties. But it's funny that in the latter case there would be less need to hide it, as your few neighbors have probably all prepared as well and are working in concert with you.
Unfortunately I am all too aware of the status of most of my neighbors. This being that they will have limited resources to be generous. They are mostly of a mind that every day that comes will pretty much resemble the days that preceded it. I have attempted to dissuade them from this to little effect.

I do not like it, but that is what I have. To that end I have actually laid in food supplies for them unbeknownst to them. I figure that if I can keep them fed they will serve as an informal security gauntlet for my place. As in, if they start turning up missing. Then I know that I have problems. I wish that things were otherwise. But there are none so blind as those who will not see.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:42 AM

Yup, thought about it.

After the lights go out, you just make sure that you do not use electric lights.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:07 PM

Pull the shades on your windows, live like the old timers, wake and sleep with the sun. mask cooking smells with sewage odor or livestock odor. Tell the beggars that do smell you food cooking that your cooking a skunk you just trapped- invite them in for a hot meal.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:00 PM

The posts so far read like a good list. Steve is spot on about forming a consortium of sorts with neighbors. My neighbors all have huge volumes of protein and my lights will be much less attractive than the beef, chicken, pork and catfish that is abundant at my property line. While the white meat farmers get it and we discuss security, the red meat guys says I have no need to own 30 rd magazines and that he will call the sheriff when the rustlers come. He will have to learn the hardway.

Like Wccb says, you will have to defend your neighborhood/collective / whatever you want to call it. I live in a very rural area, which makes it easier. But regardless of where you live, the objectives are the same.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:34 PM

Every location is different but in my case the nearest neighbor is over 200 yds away and all of the neighbors work well together. There are only 6 homes on this road and controlling access from the main road 1/2 mile away is fairly easy if ever needed.

By having solar power we can control cooking smells by keep the cooking electric and indoors. Solar also means the well will keep running, the toilets flushing, and recharging batteries for the perimeter alarms 200 yds out from the house will continue without the noise or fuel requirements of a generator.

Since we get some heat as well as AC from the solar wood smoke (two wood stoves) will also be a lot less of a problem. I only light the wood stoves about half as often now days with the solar powered mini split so less smoke to attract unwanted visitors.

I went with solar for reasons other than prepping but it does give a lot more options in a SHTF siltation.