Your "foot mobile" loadout - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 12-28-2016, 05:56 PM
sendit2012 sendit2012 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 402
No one mentioned ham radio for comms ... no true believers, huh?
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 12-28-2016, 10:53 PM
Amos Iron Wolf Amos Iron Wolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Del Rio, Texas
Age: 60
Posts: 7,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit2012 View Post
No one mentioned ham radio for comms ... no true believers, huh?
Maybe some Baofeng radios preprogrammed to some ham or other frequencies you think won't be as used in the after fact. Plus some you know will be probably used more. Also have some FR/GMRS freqs that a lot of folks will probably be using so you can monitor activity around you, but don't transmit on those among yourselves. Listen only on the later.

FCC frequency allocations probably won't mean squat in a zombie apocalypse or fantasy scenario of choice. Or licensing. Good and sensible commo procedures and not running more power than you really need will matter.
__________________
"I wish I was stupid enough to be optimistic." Unknown

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:27 AM
Steve_In_29 Steve_In_29 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 29 Palms, SoCal
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit2012 View Post
Innovative thread.

The OP doesn't (I don't think) account for small offspring. While I laughed hard at the guy who knows he will lose his 23 yr old and likes her, just a bit harder than I laughed at trading cousins for jerky ... anyone have ideas about walking out with a 'micro me' and a 'mini me' in tow??

The comments about armor are interesting. I've been looking at poly plates which are super light (and float!) as well as some mini-carriers for the kids. I figure load the kids with water filter, matches, ifak, wife with ammo, keep my 9mm 1911 concealed and sling an AR. Figure they gotta take me out first as wife kids don't pose a threat so they have time to run?

Thoughts??
You might want to read through this thread over on AKFiles before going with poly. Body Armor: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

IIRC the same thread is running over on survivalistboards.com in one of the forums.
Reply With Quote
 
  #104  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:42 AM
LWolken LWolken is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit2012 View Post
No one mentioned ham radio for comms ... no true believers, huh?
The baofengs are great for the price. I much prefer the Kenwood TH-F6 since it also has all band am receive capabilities. It will have to be mars modded for the frs/gmrs frequencies. Might as well throw in a folding 12v solar panels like the "allpower" units to charge batteries. Flashlights, gps and a pvs 14 run on batteries so the ability to charge aa, aaa batteries is critical.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:51 AM
LWolken LWolken is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 504
double post

Last edited by LWolken; 12-29-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 12-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Mooseman1776 Mooseman1776 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ole Virginny
Posts: 323
i would start to bring my 1911, but DAMN those rounds are heavy! if i was on foot i would have to just bring a 22 rifle. i really hate to say that. and i might weep a little leaving it behind...

as i walk out of my house i would stop and say F it. going back inside and grabbing the 45 and making my dog carry those big fat slugs. Elwood needs to earn his keep. i figure thats a good way to start.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 12-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Watchingtheweasels Watchingtheweasels is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
Premise: You are a character in a post-apocalyptic movie or TV show with a small cast of roving fighters.

OK, so the premise for this thread is simply for fun. I don't mean this to be taken in a serious manner, and when I explain why, you'll understand.

I In other words, a scenario where you may be solo or with a small band of people, and primarily foot mobile.

What would you bring?

To make this more fun, I don't want this to be a dream list, ie: "I'd bring my grenade launcher and minigun". Choose from firearms you actually own and have ammo for. And to make it more "realistic", tell us how much ammo you'd be carrying, and possibly even how (chest rig, backpack, etc.). Many folks mention tons of guns and ammo, but realistically I think they'd walk about 100' and dump the majority of it.

Hopefully the mods will let this slide, as I think it could be a lot of fun. I know this subforum isn't about zombies, etc., so picture a north Korean invasion if that makes it easier to swallow. The type of threat really isn't the main point. And for the folks who have watched any of those shows, you know that your loadout actually will be used...this isn't so much a thread about "I'd bring a .22 rifle to hunt for squirrels"...this is where you'll actually be needing to shoot stuff.

I'm still working on my "fictional loadout", so I'll post it up after a few others have chimed in.
Beretta cx4 with an optical sight and flashlight.
Beretta 92a1 with a laser

It is what I have.

It also lets me carry only one type of mag, and one caliber of ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 12-29-2016, 06:21 PM
sendit2012 sendit2012 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
You might want to read through this thread over on AKFiles before going with poly. Body Armor: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

IIRC the same thread is running over on survivalistboards.com in one of the forums.
Well ... that just sux. I wish I was dumb enuf to ignore facts.

Seriously, though, thx for the link. Good read.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 PM
68camaro 68camaro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 29
Well hell's bells, I'm in Minnesota and it's more than a little cold here so I'll have to think about staying warm, which, will require me to carry survival goodies vs lots of ammo etc and some serious planning, hmmmmm. The temps here will kill you before a heavy ruck. Before I figure out specifics I do know I'll have two good knives a 1911 and probably a compact shotgun. I'd probably go with a .410 or 20 for more shells and less weight.

Damn, now I'm gonna lay in bed thinking about this...
__________________
Roses are red, violets are blue,
I'm schizophrenic and so am I.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-30-2016, 06:31 AM
BoulderTroll BoulderTroll is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Central CA
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit2012 View Post
Well ... that just sux. I wish I was dumb enuf to ignore facts.

Seriously, though, thx for the link. Good read.
When selecting body armor, you always have to evaluate your own requirements and then make an informed decision. That gentleman's post was interesting to read, but it doesn't tell the whole story. He painted UHMWPE's with a very broad brush, telling you in essence that they will protect you as well as a milk jug if they get hot. What he didn't say is that Dyneema is the world's strongest synthetic fiber, and is used in sails, ropes, lines, etc.

The author encouraged readers to heed the advice of DocGKR. I agree with him. DocGKR has done testing with our agency, and has been very impressed with dyneema hard armor. I would never buy soft armor in anything other than aramid fibers, but for rifle plates, Dyneema fits my personal needs best. I have been submerged in salt water at work and dyneema both floats and is not degraded by salt water (wish I could say the same for the Motorola Saber). I don't work in the Middle East, and I don't have to deal with temperatures that our brave men and women overseas have to put up with. Dyneema plates have a much higher temp rating than soft armor, and I've yet to find one of my plastic water bottles boiling in the trunk of my car on a hot summer day. If I lived and worked in 29 Palms, I'd probably give a lot of consideration to the effects of heat on Dyneema plates...but I don't.

Some Dyneema plates will not stop M855. That is a calculated and acceptable risk I take. Everything in armor is a trade-off. For my needs the incredible multi-hit capability and mobility of the light Dyneema plates are worth that trade-off. For others it might not be.

I've never read about the poly plates you specifically referred to. I am always sceptical about life-saving equipment that costs a tiny fraction of everything else in the same role. My point is simply that there is no one-size fits all answer to armor. Identify your needs and do your own research. The first question I'd start with is "will it actually be useful?"
__________________
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

Last edited by BoulderTroll; 12-30-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 01-01-2017, 03:41 AM
Kilibreaux Kilibreaux is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 255
The RIGHT answer is to stay put and have enough food to wait it out....

If one MUST take to the street, concealable weapons make sense. It's not like a checkpoint is going to be "okay" with an AR-15 coming through!

Weapons concealed in backpacks are the best option...or concealed on the person.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 01-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Cowboy88 Cowboy88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Mo
Posts: 35
If shft? It would be more of a stay on the move for me so light is better for me...
3 days food.
12g 835 ultra mag 50 rounds
45acp 3 8 round mags and 50rounds in bag
40 rounds 308
300 rounds 22
Mecical bag
Rain gear
Fire starter
Cook pot
Fishing stuff
Snare stuff
Do to having a wife and two kids I can make them haul stuff to but there bags are dump bag so if we need to go taste I have everything we need to go on without it or go back for it I keep my backs under 30 and can be for a week or so befor I start to feel it
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 01-01-2017, 08:06 AM
sendit2012 sendit2012 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
When selecting body armor, you always have to evaluate your own requirements and then make an informed decision. That gentleman's post was interesting to read, but it doesn't tell the whole story. He painted UHMWPE's with a very broad brush, telling you in essence that they will protect you as well as a milk jug if they get hot. What he didn't say is that Dyneema is the world's strongest synthetic fiber, and is used in sails, ropes, lines, etc.

The author encouraged readers to heed the advice of DocGKR. I agree with him. DocGKR has done testing with our agency, and has been very impressed with dyneema hard armor. I would never buy soft armor in anything other than aramid fibers, but for rifle plates, Dyneema fits my personal needs best. I have been submerged in salt water at work and dyneema both floats and is not degraded by salt water (wish I could say the same for the Motorola Saber). I don't work in the Middle East, and I don't have to deal with temperatures that our brave men and women overseas have to put up with. Dyneema plates have a much higher temp rating than soft armor, and I've yet to find one of my plastic water bottles boiling in the trunk of my car on a hot summer day. If I lived and worked in 29 Palms, I'd probably give a lot of consideration to the effects of heat on Dyneema plates...but I don't.

Some Dyneema plates will not stop M855. That is a calculated and acceptable risk I take. Everything in armor is a trade-off. For my needs the incredible multi-hit capability and mobility of the light Dyneema plates are worth that trade-off. For others it might not be.

I've never read about the poly plates you specifically referred to. I am always sceptical about life-saving equipment that costs a tiny fraction of everything else in the same role. My point is simply that there is no one-size fits all answer to armor. Identify your needs and do your own research. The first question I'd start with is "will it actually be useful?"
Kinda my same assessment. Most guys drop their armor because of the weight, so a ballistic milk jug is better than nothing. Even against M855.

Submerged in saltwater with a Saber, huh? LE or FD?

Last edited by sendit2012; 01-01-2017 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Literacy
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Steve_In_29 Steve_In_29 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 29 Palms, SoCal
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy88 View Post
If shft? It would be more of a stay on the move for me so light is better for me...
3 days food.
12g 835 ultra mag 50 rounds
45acp 3 8 round mags and 50rounds in bag
40 rounds 308
300 rounds 22
Mecical bag
Rain gear
Fire starter
Cook pot
Fishing stuff
Snare stuff
Do to having a wife and two kids I can make them haul stuff to but there bags are dump bag so if we need to go taste I have everything we need to go on without it or go back for it I keep my backs under 30 and can be for a week or so befor I start to feel it
So your plan is to wander around with your wife and two (apparently) small kids? Are you actually just wandering around or do you have a place you are heading to with supplies and a known welcome waiting?

Can you get there within 3 days and if not what do you plan on doing once your 3 days of food is gone?

How do you keep your bag under 30lbs yet carry 3 days of food for 4 people in it along with everything else you need once the wife/kids dump theirs? sorry but the math isn't adding up and you haven't even listed water.

You only call out the shotgun as your weapon but list .22, .45 and .308 ammo as also being in your load? Planning on finding weapons along the way?
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 01-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Steve_In_29 Steve_In_29 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 29 Palms, SoCal
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
When selecting body armor, you always have to evaluate your own requirements and then make an informed decision. That gentleman's post was interesting to read, but it doesn't tell the whole story. He painted UHMWPE's with a very broad brush, telling you in essence that they will protect you as well as a milk jug if they get hot. What he didn't say is that Dyneema is the world's strongest synthetic fiber, and is used in sails, ropes, lines, etc.

The author encouraged readers to heed the advice of DocGKR. I agree with him. DocGKR has done testing with our agency, and has been very impressed with dyneema hard armor. I would never buy soft armor in anything other than aramid fibers, but for rifle plates, Dyneema fits my personal needs best. I have been submerged in salt water at work and dyneema both floats and is not degraded by salt water (wish I could say the same for the Motorola Saber). I don't work in the Middle East, and I don't have to deal with temperatures that our brave men and women overseas have to put up with. Dyneema plates have a much higher temp rating than soft armor, and I've yet to find one of my plastic water bottles boiling in the trunk of my car on a hot summer day. If I lived and worked in 29 Palms, I'd probably give a lot of consideration to the effects of heat on Dyneema plates...but I don't.

Some Dyneema plates will not stop M855. That is a calculated and acceptable risk I take. Everything in armor is a trade-off. For my needs the incredible multi-hit capability and mobility of the light Dyneema plates are worth that trade-off. For others it might not be.

I've never read about the poly plates you specifically referred to. I am always sceptical about life-saving equipment that costs a tiny fraction of everything else in the same role. My point is simply that there is no one-size fits all answer to armor. Identify your needs and do your own research. The first question I'd start with is "will it actually be useful?"
The inside of a car's trunk gets a lot hotter then you might think, even in relatively mild weather. Even out here in 29 Palms my water doesn't "boil" in the trunk.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 01-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Cowboy88 Cowboy88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Mo
Posts: 35
Food.....Yes bag is 25lb every thing I need for 3 days at eatting e times a day....if the kids and wife needed to dump there's and run. We could eat out of my bag..one meal a day per 4.that's 3 days not its not the plan to eat only one time a day but this is SHTF its not comfortable but do able..hunt, fish, trap small games is easy with a 12g..in my bag I have 5 days 3 meals a day just for me...tuna packs, mre ,white house,calorie bars...find and take what I NEED

Guns... I do have a ar15 but the 12g is better for hunting...got to stay on the move I don't plan a big gun fight if I need to get in my bag for ammo there dead or I am by then. Evade and Escapeis the only way...if the government comes for you there just going to keep sending people...useable guns only.they shot I shot and run..308 100,45 100rounds 3 8 round clips, 12g 50 rounds,22 300 rounds..pretty sure the ar is going to go with me but if I had to leave it that's fine to....take what you need because they will
Wife 9mm glock 4 mags 100 rounds...her bags 18lb or so food,water 4 days shelter and fire most of the first aid in heres.her being a rn helps a lil lol.
Kids both girls 12 and 16 bag under 10.. The 16 year old 9mm start bm 4 mags.223 single shot 50 rounds food water 3 days fire shelter a book note pad small thing for morale
12year old 22 hand gun revolver 50 rounds same as 16 year old bag but small thing for her morale.....and we'll any and all the things girls need
Fishing and traping in my bag,,small thing like dry close one set.lights,note pens..stuff like that...
So if they have to dump..it would suck but we would be ok for a lil bit.no I have no places to go but that's ok after a few weeks u will have to go out and get something anyhow.I do not want to HAVE t defend it because if they take you over then u don't have anything anyhow..
I always like the input guys makes me think of other ways to go about it.this was just a lil game anyhow...always improving is how you stay alive so thank you.keep coming with the Q.A and let me no what you see in my flaws.....o ya I do have places and people to go to but u never no if it's safe or not they might not be there when u get there might be someone eles eating for u lol

I do need to reevaluate my bag do to new gearni have gotten..got some webing and would like to take a day food water ammo first small stuff and put it on there like a recon rig..just can't make up my mine as to what I want on it

Last edited by Cowboy88; 01-02-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 01-02-2017, 06:08 PM
sendit2012 sendit2012 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 402
Don't think anyone mentioned bolt cutters ...

I got some heavy-ass cheapos from Harbor Freight. Work great, but am thinking the weight does not justify the rare use case.

Anyone have thoughts on the value of bolt cutters? If high, any recommendations for small, light, powerful solution?
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 01-02-2017, 06:34 PM
Cowboy88 Cowboy88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Mo
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit2012 View Post
Don't think anyone mentioned bolt cutters ...

I got some heavy-ass cheapos from Harbor Freight. Work great, but am thinking the weight does not justify the rare use case.

Anyone have thoughts on the value of bolt cutters? If high, any recommendations for small, light, powerful solution?
A pick set maybe I have one there fun...get one with a clear lock kids have fun to with it
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 01-02-2017, 07:03 PM
Steve_In_29 Steve_In_29 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 29 Palms, SoCal
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy88 View Post
Food.....Yes bag is 25lb every thing I need for 3 days at eatting e times a day....if the kids and wife needed to dump there's and run. We could eat out of my bag..one meal a day per 4.that's 3 days not its not the plan to eat only one time a day but this is SHTF its not comfortable but do able..hunt, fish, trap small games is easy with a 12g..in my bag I have 5 days 3 meals a day just for me...tuna packs, mre ,white house,calorie bars...find and take what I NEED

Guns... I do have a ar15 but the 12g is better for hunting...got to stay on the move I don't plan a big gun fight if I need to get in my bag for ammo there dead or I am by then. Evade and Escapeis the only way...if the government comes for you there just going to keep sending people...useable guns only.they shot I shot and run..308 100,45 100rounds 3 8 round clips, 12g 50 rounds,22 300 rounds..pretty sure the ar is going to go with me but if I had to leave it that's fine to....take what you need because they will
Wife 9mm glock 4 mags 100 rounds...her bags 18lb or so food,water 4 days shelter and fire most of the first aid in heres.her being a rn helps a lil lol.
Kids both girls 12 and 16 bag under 10.. The 16 year old 9mm start bm 4 mags.223 single shot 50 rounds food water 3 days fire shelter a book note pad small thing for morale
12year old 22 hand gun revolver 50 rounds same as 16 year old bag but small thing for her morale.....and we'll any and all the things girls need
Fishing and traping in my bag,,small thing like dry close one set.lights,note pens..stuff like that...
So if they have to dump..it would suck but we would be ok for a lil bit.no I have no places to go but that's ok after a few weeks u will have to go out and get something anyhow.I do not want to HAVE t defend it because if they take you over then u don't have anything anyhow..
I always like the input guys makes me think of other ways to go about it.this was just a lil game anyhow...always improving is how you stay alive so thank you.keep coming with the Q.A and let me no what you see in my flaws.....o ya I do have places and people to go to but u never no if it's safe or not they might not be there when u get there might be someone eles eating for u lol

I do need to reevaluate my bag do to new gearni have gotten..got some webing and would like to take a day food water ammo first small stuff and put it on there like a recon rig..just can't make up my mine as to what I want on it
Okay got it, your basic plan is to wander around until you all die. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 01-02-2017, 10:36 PM
fast eddie's Avatar
fast eddie fast eddie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Okay got it, your basic plan is to wander around until you all die. Thanks
You always say the nicest things.
__________________
Welcome to the Kimber forum. We do pictures here.....
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 01-03-2017, 05:03 AM
Cowboy88 Cowboy88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Mo
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Okay got it, your basic plan is to wander around until you all die. Thanks
Lol no not really...just don't plan on staying in one place for to long...going to have to be a hunter gatherer at some point..do to funding I don't have a bunker so that's out..do to having three girl not sure how long I would last in a bunker with them anyhow lol..and the hood point was of this was a foot mobile load out anyhow...so.. Not really sure why ur raging on my post. We do get out and hike and camp a few times a year we get out and go for a 2 or three day hike so I do have a lil insights on what need for my family for that amount of time....this was just for fun anyhow didn't see ur post of ur Bob. Just u raging on other people..a plan is just a plan tell it goes south..then you just got to wing it

Last edited by Cowboy88; 01-03-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 01-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Steve_In_29 Steve_In_29 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 29 Palms, SoCal
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy88 View Post
Lol no not really...just don't plan on staying in one place for to long...going to have to be a hunter gatherer at some point..do to funding I don't have a bunker so that's out..do to having three girl not sure how long I would last in a bunker with them anyhow lol..and the hood point was of this was a foot mobile load out anyhow...so.. Not really sure why ur raging on my post. We do get out and hike and camp a few times a year we get out and go for a 2 or three day hike so I do have a lil insights on what need for my family for that amount of time....this was just for fun anyhow didn't see ur post of ur Bob. Just u raging on other people..a plan is just a plan tell it goes south..then you just got to wing it
Yes really. Your unrealistic plan of wandering around the woods WILL result in death of you and your family.

As I said your numbers don't come anywhere near to adding up. You claim your 16yo daughter's pack is under 10 pounds but then take up over half that weight with her pistol, rifle and ammo. While claiming she also has 3 days of food/water in it along with clothes and other items. The water alone needed for 3 days is over your claimed 10 pounds of weight (1 gal = 8lbs).

You carry ammo for weapons you aren't bringing, while no mention is made of other necessary items, such as for avoiding hypothermia to name just one. You also claimed that you and your estrogen filled band will "take what you need" apparently from others? Good luck with that, though it would be preferable to go out in a blaze of gunfire rather then to slowly starve to death.

You claim wilderness(?) experience due to some hiking/camping trips a few times a year but make no mention of having ever hunted/trapped/fished as you say you plan to do. The animals don't simply stand there waiting for you to pick one off for dinner you know. The supply of critters is also not going to last long (to say nothing of how skittish they will become) once everyone is trying to live off them.

You don't see me posting my BOB contents nor do I even have one because as I have stated before on this board, I am not going anywhere and especially not on foot. I live in the desert, already further bugged out then most people will ever make it. Past us there is over 100 more miles of desert before you come to anything. And that still leaves you just further into the desert. Any exit from here will be a well supported, planned, vehicular movement to a known destination.

By the way the word you were looking for is "ragging". You have the grammar/spelling/articulation skills of a 15yo High School drop out.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 01-03-2017, 11:26 AM
BillD BillD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Age: 62
Posts: 27,220
Ya'll get pretty excited about someone else's plan.

Especially about something that is not likely to happen.
__________________
You can make excuses or you can make ready.
USPSA TY41889
NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 01-03-2017, 04:57 PM
tc556guy tc556guy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit2012 View Post
Don't think anyone mentioned bolt cutters ...

I got some heavy-ass cheapos from Harbor Freight. Work great, but am thinking the weight does not justify the rare use case.

Anyone have thoughts on the value of bolt cutters? If high, any recommendations for small, light, powerful solution?
How many locks to you anticipate having to cut? Back in my military days we had to cut many a lock off gear lockers and such. Unless you had a fairly large set of bolt cutters with new teeth it was often hard to get through many commercial locks, and you absolutely needed to have the big "master key" to get through hardened military locks.
If you're just looking to get through fences and such, carry wire nippers. Combo locks? Acquire shims and know how to use them. If your state allows lockpicking tools, get some of those.
I would only plan on bolt cutters for a vehicle kit. Not something I had to lug around
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 01-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Cowboy88 Cowboy88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Mo
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Yes really. Your unrealistic plan of wandering around the woods WILL result in death of you and your family.

As I said your numbers don't come anywhere near to adding up. You claim your 16yo daughter's pack is under 10 pounds but then take up over half that weight with her pistol, rifle and ammo. While claiming she also has 3 days of food/water in it along with clothes and other items. The water alone needed for 3 days is over your claimed 10 pounds of weight (1 gal = 8lbs).

You carry ammo for weapons you aren't bringing, while no mention is made of other necessary items, such as for avoiding hypothermia to name just one. You also claimed that you and your estrogen filled band will "take what you need" apparently from others? Good luck with that, though it would be preferable to go out in a blaze of gunfire rather then to slowly starve to death.

You claim wilderness(?) experience due to some hiking/camping trips a few times a year but make no mention of having ever hunted/trapped/fished as you say you plan to do. The animals don't simply stand there waiting for you to pick one off for dinner you know. The supply of critters is also not going to last long (to say nothing of how skittish they will become) once everyone is trying to live off them.

You don't see me posting my BOB contents nor do I even have one because as I have stated before on this board, I am not going anywhere and especially not on foot. I live in the desert, already further bugged out then most people will ever make it. Past us there is over 100 more miles of desert before you come to anything. And that still leaves you just further into the desert. Any exit from here will be a well supported, planned, vehicular movement to a known destination.

By the way the word you were looking for is "ragging". You have the grammar/spelling/articulation skills of a 15yo High School drop out.
I did drop out of high school to work..because I had to..I do have a problem with spelling but that's ok I use to be a hunting guide for about 4 years full time and I fish every weekend for the. Most part.. I have also lived in the desert and I no what ur saying about no going anywere. I will agree with you stay were you are but, that dose not work here in missouri.
I have water around me and more game then I need as to the water I use tablets,boil, and every bag has a water filter... As to the food it is not 3000+ calories a day but high protein and carbohydrates..springs and caves ever were here...and did state that they all have fire...and we do have radios to talk also....as to experience I am at home in the woods but not going to say I'm the best still alot to l learn about mo because I'm from .ca. That is what there bags way.not sure why you keep putting down my post...not putting down what you have planed...that may work for your need.and how you want to do it.and for were you live..
But not me and not my needs...and the post is .....MOBILE ..... Not bug in...

why must you put me down because of my spelling I do try to do my best...there's no need to be rude....so thank you for your insights on my plans and the of the making fun of my spelling...and will reevaluate my needs on my Bobs and needs..Will try to make my post more readable....know need to be a dlck and taking the fun out of it.thanks will be my last post on the thread
Never know might be the nicest guy you will ever meet and even give the shirt off my back to someone idk know
But I can't spell and word things right so make fun and put down tell all the good people gone...why not right

Last edited by Cowboy88; 01-03-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved