Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 12-12-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recurveman View Post
Well this is a fun one. I guess ill provide a pic of our ACTUAL walking kit

Mine:

Modular Ballistic Helmet with TLR-1 HL side mounted

VEST:
LVL 4A vest with front and rear SAPI plates.
IFAK
7 mags of 7.62x39 (not shown)
2 1911 mags (not shown)
2 glock 45acp mags (Not shown)

Ruck:
Clothes/toiletries/sleep gear
Life straw (water is plentiful where I am)
Small survival kit
4 MRE's
300rds of 7.62X39 (10 additional magazines)
300rds of 45.acp (4 additional magazines and the rest in a case)
100rds of 40 (5 additional magazines and the rest in a case)
100rds of 9mm (all in a case)
20rds of 12g slugs
Glock 22 with 9mm conversion barrel
4 different types of batteries (4 of each kind)
Compass/maps etc...
Other odds and ends.
Total Weight: 68lbs

Weapons:
Wasr 10 (normally has vortex optic on top but I have it on another rifle right now)
1911A1 (My pride and joy and never leaves the house without me)
Glock 41
Glock 22 with 9mm conversion barrel (in ruck)

Wifes loadout:
Vest: Lvl 4A with front and rear SAPI
Over vest: Rappelling vest with various supplies/ammo in the pockets
ACH Helmet

Pack:
Rappelling rope
Change of clothes etc...
Life straw
2 MRE's
Medical gear
Radio equipment
160rds of 7.62X39 (2 spare mags)
200rds of 45.acp (4 spare mags for Glock 21/41 and 4 spare mags for 1911)
50rds of 40 S&W
50rds of 9mm

Weapons:
Mossberg 590 Blackwater with vortex optic (not shown)
Glock 21
Sig Sauer 1911 spartan

Wow! Great list Recurveman! You are welcome on our team for sure!

As a side note, I like your Team Wendy Exfil Ballistic. My agency doesn't issue helmets, and that's the model I decided on for my out of pocket purchase. VERY comfortable compared to the old PASGT that I was issued years ago.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:35 PM

Ok, I'll admit I don't understand having a helmet. What's it for in this type of walking situation?
Old 12-12-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
Wow! Great list Recurveman! You are welcome on our team for sure!

As a side note, I like your Team Wendy Exfil Ballistic. My agency doesn't issue helmets, and that's the model I decided on for my out of pocket purchase. VERY comfortable compared to the old PASGT that I was issued years ago.
WAY more comfortable than the PASGT. I doubt I could ever go back...

μολὼν λαβέ
Old 12-12-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage68 View Post
Ok, I'll admit I don't understand having a helmet. What's it for in this type of walking situation?
Because it would suck to get brained by Billy sniper out in the woods. Also you could head butt a zombie to death.... I think it should be tried at least once.
On a side note, the helmet that I have is so comfortable you hardly notice you are wearing it after a while. Granted this is coming from someone who has worn a lot of helmets.

μολὼν λαβέ
Old 12-12-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage68 View Post
That's a valid question for sure. I view my helmet and my plate carrier as "Direct Action" sort of gear, such as building clearing, perimeter work, etc. which in this fun scenario of a TV band of fighters, could be pretty useful. In a true end of the world, foot-mobile situation I personally probably wouldn't take either...well, my PC might come along for ammo, but I'd likely dump the plates.

That said, Recurveman is absolutely right, the Team Wendy ballistic helmet is so light you really hardly notice it. I loaned mine to some SAR volunteers during a training since we needed spare ATV helmets...they all thought it was a regular climbing helmet. Nobody guessed it was actually bullet proof, it's that light.

Last edited by BoulderTroll; 12-12-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:14 AM

Actually on the helmet thing.

I am keeping a weather eye out for a good deal on a Pickelhaube.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 AM

I'm pretty much a Walter Mitty also but a grand for a helmet is not in the budget.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
I'm pretty much a Walter Mitty also but a grand for a helmet is not in the budget.
Its pricey, for sure! I probably wouldn't have been able to justify it if I didn't need it for work, but I've used it a number of times now on the job so I like to think it's paying for itself.

But even for the self defense aficionado, it is kind of ironic that we're willing to spend many thousands of dollars on multiple pistols/ rifles/ shotguns, when in reality we can only use one or two at once, and yet a brain bucket that costs less than many 1911's is considered outrageous (my words, not yours). And as long as I'm on my soapbox, I have to wonder if everyone who has put themselves through firearm training courses has spent an equal amount of time and money in first aid/ EMS courses....after all, it seems like if defending ourselves and our families is our goal, we should spend as much effort learning how to save a life as we do learning how to take one. And personally, I've used my EMS skills and training about a thousand times more than I've used my people shooting skills.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recurveman View Post
Because it would suck to get brained by Billy sniper out in the woods. Also you could head butt a zombie to death.... I think it should be tried at least once.
On a side note, the helmet that I have is so comfortable you hardly notice you are wearing it after a while. Granted this is coming from someone who has worn a lot of helmets.
Sure, as long as "Billy sniper" only uses his 5.56 mouse gun and not something like his 30-30/7mm-08/270/308/30-06/25-06/etc hunting rifle. Even with the 5.56 a helmet offers zero protection when you are shot in the face.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Sure, as long as "Billy sniper" only uses his 5.56 mouse gun and not something like his 30-30/7mm-08/270/308/30-06/25-06/etc hunting rifle. Even with the 5.56 a helmet offers zero protection when you are shot in the face.
Not trying to be argumentative, Steve, but the 5.56 mouse gun has better penetration through body armor than half of the rounds you mentioned. . My rifle plates will stop 7.62, 30-06, and even a few shots of 300 Win Mag, but can be defeated by certain 5.56mm rounds. Remember that to get the 5.56 approved, it had to meet the penetration through armor at 600 meters of the 7.62 (which it surpassed). I'm no 5.56 fanboy, but body armor penetration is not one of the areas in which it lacks.

And with that, this thread drifts completely out of control...

Please don't follow my lead, let's keep this on track. Who else is coming on our alien/ Korean/ zombie patrol?

Last edited by BoulderTroll; 12-13-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
I'm sorta thinking you need to trim back the ammo a bit and add on some extra in other categories....
This isn't a military operation, and you're not moving with squads and platoons.
You're going to be evading more than you'll be fighting
Well I have run critically low on ammo before and it was not a good feeling nor a feeling I ever want to experience again. So I err on the side of caution. I'll take a little extra weight to make sure I don't run into that issue again.
Agreed that it's not a true military operation but who says I'll be evading? I may be invading! Gotta keep it fun!

μολὼν λαβέ
Old 12-14-2016, 01:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not trying to be argumentative, Steve, but the 5.56 mouse gun has better penetration through body armor than half of the rounds you mentioned. . My rifle plates will stop 7.62, 30-06, and even a few shots of 300 Win Mag, but can be defeated by certain 5.56mm rounds. Remember that to get the 5.56 approved, it had to meet the penetration through armor at 600 meters of the 7.62 (which it surpassed). I'm no 5.56 fanboy, but body armor penetration is not one of the areas in which it lacks.

And with that, this thread drifts completely out of control...

Please don't follow my lead, let's keep this on track. Who else is coming on our alien/ Korean/ zombie patrol?
My reply was in regard to his "helmet" protecting his head from snipers and not about rifle plates.

But since you brought it up, while your plate might "stop" that 300 Win Mag round from penetrating and killing you outright, after getting hit with one you aren't going to be doing much besides laying there waiting for the sniper to take the kill shot.

Also while it adds to the COD feeling to list it as part of your load out, in the real world (even such as it is in this thread) no one is going to still be humping body armor around after a day or two on the road if they don't have a safe destination waiting for them at the end of the journey.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
My reply was in regard to his "helmet" protecting his head from snipers and not about rifle plates.

But since you brought it up, while your plate might "stop" that 300 Win Mag round from penetrating and killing you outright, after getting hit with one you aren't going to be doing much besides laying there waiting for the sniper to take the kill shot.

Also while it adds to the COD feeling to list it as part of your load out, in the real world (even such as it is in this thread) no one is going to still be humping body armor around after a day or two on the road if they don't have a safe destination waiting for them at the end of the journey.
I only brought up the rifle plates as an example of body armor penetration, since every round you mentioned, plus the 5.56, will sail through a Kevlar helmet. I know that a ballistic helmet and rifle plates have different degrees of protection. But I do agree with you about body armor being left behind during an "on the road" scenario, which is why I already mentioned it. Still, it would depend on the frequency of engagements as to whether or not it would be totally ditched in our mock scenarios. Take Falling Skies, for instance; Those guys went through so much ammo and so many firefights, if I were in that type of scenario I think I'd hold onto the plates and helmet.

Last edited by BoulderTroll; 12-14-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
But even for the self defense aficionado, it is kind of ironic that we're willing to spend many thousands of dollars on multiple pistols/ rifles/ shotguns, when in reality we can only use one or two at once, and yet a brain bucket that costs less than many 1911's is considered outrageous
Like everything else, helmet technology has come a long way since 9/11.
Older guys who served in the military may recall the steel pots. Middle aged vets may recall the Kpot. Younger guys, the ACH.
Non-prior service have NO frame of reference on the topic.

Like eye pro, people disregard stuff they don't see an immediate need for.

On another prep forum a resident of TN recently posted that he'd never thought about the need to deal with the smoke from the forest fires they're suffering through. Part of prepping is anticipating a need before everyone else does and strips the shelves bare before YOU can get what you need.

In terms of helmet tech, I've wanted one of those ballistic helmets for both bump protection and to mount my NODS on. Helmet mounted NODS are more comfortable than those cheesy heads mounts the PVS14s come from the factory with. But as with anything else, you have to prioritize spending. That's another aspect of prepping..fiscal responsibility.

On the issue of the ammo load-out again, if OP feels he can hump that number of rounds, knock yourself out, OP. My days of humping double combat loads are over and my plan is to have it available through other means of resupply, not by personally lugging it around on my body
Old 12-14-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
Like everything else, helmet technology has come a long way since 9/11.
Older guys who served in the military may recall the steel pots. Middle aged vets may recall the Kpot. Younger guys, the ACH.
Non-prior service have NO frame of reference on the topic.

Like eye pro, people disregard stuff they don't see an immediate need for.

On another prep forum a resident of TN recently posted that he'd never thought about the need to deal with the smoke from the forest fires they're suffering through. Part of prepping is anticipating a need before everyone else does and strips the shelves bare before YOU can get what you need.

In terms of helmet tech, I've wanted one of those ballistic helmets for both bump protection and to mount my NODS on. Helmet mounted NODS are more comfortable than those cheesy heads mounts the PVS14s come from the factory with. But as with anything else, you have to prioritize spending. That's another aspect of prepping..fiscal responsibility.

On the issue of the ammo load-out again, if OP feels he can hump that number of rounds, knock yourself out, OP. My days of humping double combat loads are over and my plan is to have it available through other means of resupply, not by personally lugging it around on my body
Yeah i'm still what some would consider a "young buck" (in my 30's) so the additional weight is not too much of an issue at this point. Still a heck of a light lighter than my 240 and all of its food.

I've always thought of a helmet as the seatbelt of gear. Will a seatbelt save you from a 100mph head on? Nope. Will it stop you from going through the windshield in a 40mph wreck. Probably. Same as with a helmet. Will it stop a direct hit from a 5.56 or other rifle round? Probably not. But it will stop a grazing or angled shot a lot better than my skull will.

Also you make a great point about the NODS. I don't personally own any at this time but it will become part of the kit at some point. The way I see it, if its the type of scenario as the OP depicts, there will probably be some NODS left at the reserve/NG unit buildings scattered around what ever state your in so getting one may be easier in that situation.

μολὼν λαβέ
Old 12-19-2016, 10:23 PM

thanks for making a very great point on the EMS skills. Also, a lot of us talked about weight. What are the thoughts of maximum total carried weight even for athletes over 40?

Last edited by CAPistol; 12-19-2016 at 10:25 PM. Reason: needed to ad context, I didnt realize it would go on end of post
Old 12-19-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPistol View Post
thanks for making a very great point on the EMS skills. Also, a lot of us talked about weight. What are the thoughts of maximum total carried weight even for athletes over 40?
Depends on time, distance, terrain and sustainability.... the general consensus is that a 55 pound ruck is the maximum that is sustainable for day in, day out, long marchs.

Im 46, and while fit, I wouldn't consider myself an "athlete"... I can go 12 miles in under 3 hours with a 55 pound ruck, weapon, and kit, on hilly terrain on an unimproved road. This isn't a 'tactical' movement, this is going as fast as I can with no consider for a tactical environment. I could probably do it several days in a row- but my productivity after the movement would exponentially decrease. After about a week of doing this daily, my time would start going up.

At a slower pace, I could carry more weight the same distance.

Regardless, when I do ruck, I'm eating well, drinking tons of water, and sleeping in a comfortable bed at night. I'm not living in the dirt for an indeterminate future, and wondering where my next meal is coming from....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 12-26-2016, 10:34 PM

OK, since some folks have mentioned man-powered "equipment" what says the group about these types of devices, typically used to carry deer our of the woods.

Still Foot patrolling, kinda.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
OK, since some folks have mentioned man-powered "equipment" what says the group about these types of devices, typically used to carry deer our of the woods.

A modern version of European refugees fleeing cities during WWII...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 12-27-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post

I agree with WC Countryboy, that definitely conjures images from WWII...I'm picturing the opening and closing sequences of ABridge Too Far, as the Dutch wheel their hand carts along the dike.

For the purposes of this thread, that's not how our group rolls...we're hard chargers. All joking aside, if you had to leave for one reason or another it'd probably be better than nothing. My only comment would be that it does get tiring hauling and balancing single axle carts. I've helped trudge Stokes litters for miles out of the back county on a wheel (and by hand), and even with a sizeable group, it can get pretty taxing.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:12 AM

How about a mountain or touring bike with some kind of cargo cart? You could load that rig out with more than what's on a backpack.
http://www.cargobikesystem.com/image...-%20Resize.jpg
Old 12-27-2016, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesheating View Post
How about a mountain or touring bike with some kind of cargo cart? You could load that rig out with more than what's on a backpack.
http://www.cargobikesystem.com/image...-%20Resize.jpg
While a good idea, at that point you are no longer "foot mobile" per the thread's title.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:23 AM

I like hiking, no better way to spend a day with the dog. But as the Application Trail Thru hikers show, every ounce counts when you're trying to cover 10-20 miles a day. 45-50 pounds as a max pack weight plus food and water. I don't think I'd add much weight in guns&ammo on top of a 70 (loaded heavy) pound pack.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I agree with WC Countryboy, that definitely conjures images from WWII...I'm picturing the opening and closing sequences of ABridge Too Far, as the Dutch wheel their hand carts along the dike.

For the purposes of this thread, that's not how our group rolls...we're hard chargers. All joking aside, if you had to leave for one reason or another it'd probably be better than nothing. My only comment would be that it does get tiring hauling and balancing single axle carts. I've helped trudge Stokes litters for miles out of the back county on a wheel (and by hand), and even with a sizeable group, it can get pretty taxing.
I see your point, and my intent is not to belabor it, but these things are designed to carry large heavy loads out of the most remote areas.

BUT, I see it does add a dimension that does not really further the OP.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:30 PM

Innovative thread.

The OP doesn't (I don't think) account for small offspring. While I laughed hard at the guy who knows he will lose his 23 yr old and likes her, just a bit harder than I laughed at trading cousins for jerky ... anyone have ideas about walking out with a 'micro me' and a 'mini me' in tow??

The comments about armor are interesting. I've been looking at poly plates which are super light (and float!) as well as some mini-carriers for the kids. I figure load the kids with water filter, matches, ifak, wife with ammo, keep my 9mm 1911 concealed and sling an AR. Figure they gotta take me out first as wife kids don't pose a threat so they have time to run?

Thoughts??

Last edited by sendit2012; 12-28-2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Literacy