Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 12-10-2016, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recurveman View Post
Well this is a fun one. I guess ill provide a pic of our ACTUAL walking kit

Mine:

Modular Ballistic Helmet with TLR-1 HL side mounted

VEST:
LVL 4A vest with front and rear SAPI plates.
IFAK
7 mags of 7.62x39 (not shown)
2 1911 mags (not shown)
2 glock 45acp mags (Not shown)

Ruck:
Clothes/toiletries/sleep gear
Life straw (water is plentiful where I am)
Small survival kit
4 MRE's
300rds of 7.62X39 (10 additional magazines)
300rds of 45.acp (4 additional magazines and the rest in a case)
100rds of 40 (5 additional magazines and the rest in a case)
100rds of 9mm (all in a case)
20rds of 12g slugs
Glock 22 with 9mm conversion barrel
4 different types of batteries (4 of each kind)
Compass/maps etc...
Other odds and ends.
Total Weight: 68lbs

Weapons:
Wasr 10 (normally has vortex optic on top but I have it on another rifle right now)
1911A1 (My pride and joy and never leaves the house without me)
Glock 41
Glock 22 with 9mm conversion barrel (in ruck)

Wifes loadout:
Vest: Lvl 4A with front and rear SAPI
Over vest: Rappelling vest with various supplies/ammo in the pockets
ACH Helmet

Pack:
Rappelling rope
Change of clothes etc...
Life straw
2 MRE's
Medical gear
Radio equipment
160rds of 7.62X39 (2 spare mags)
200rds of 45.acp (4 spare mags for Glock 21/41 and 4 spare mags for 1911)
50rds of 40 S&W
50rds of 9mm

Weapons:
Mossberg 590 Blackwater with vortex optic (not shown)
Glock 21
Sig Sauer 1911 spartan

How much actual walking for distance have you both had with your current load out?
Old 12-10-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Well this is a fun one. I guess ill provide a pic of our ACTUAL walking kit

Mine:

Modular Ballistic Helmet with TLR-1 HL side mounted

VEST:
LVL 4A vest with front and rear SAPI plates.
IFAK
7 mags of 7.62x39 (not shown)
2 1911 mags (not shown)
2 glock 45acp mags (Not shown)

Ruck:
Clothes/toiletries/sleep gear
Life straw (water is plentiful where I am)
Small survival kit
4 MRE's
300rds of 7.62X39 (10 additional magazines)
300rds of 45.acp (4 additional magazines and the rest in a case)
100rds of 40 (5 additional magazines and the rest in a case)
100rds of 9mm (all in a case)
20rds of 12g slugs
Glock 22 with 9mm conversion barrel
4 different types of batteries (4 of each kind)
Compass/maps etc...
Other odds and ends.
Total Weight: 68lbs

Weapons:
Wasr 10 (normally has vortex optic on top but I have it on another rifle right now)
1911A1 (My pride and joy and never leaves the house without me)
Glock 41
Glock 22 with 9mm conversion barrel (in ruck)
This loadout has about 30 pounds of ammo in the ruck, and over 7 on the vest. SAPI plates, helmet....various odds and ends.... I don't see this coming in at 68#s. Maybe the ruck alone is 68. The vest is at least 20#s....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 12-10-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
How much actual walking for distance have you both had with your current load out?
We are both military. My ruck is still nearly 20lbs lighter than my normal one (I'm infantry)

My wife is somewhat of a gym rat and we are both huge into hiking. We have lots of experience with loads of this weight or more for miles on end.

μολὼν λαβέ

Old 12-10-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
This loadout has about 30 pounds of ammo in the ruck, and over 7 on the vest. SAPI plates, helmet....various odds and ends.... I don't see this coming in at 68#s. Maybe the ruck alone is 68. The vest is at least 20#s....
Yes, the ruck alone is 68lbs. The vest and everything else is additional.

μολὼν λαβέ
Old 12-10-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, the ruck alone is 68lbs. The vest and everything else is additional.
That makes more sense. Nice thing is vest weight takes less a toll than ruck weight.

Thats still a huge load to carry day in, day out, for an indefinite period. For a few days, or short movement, not too tough. Move 15-30 miles a day, every day, with that load... you're toast in a week.

My loadout for Panama was well over 100 pounds (I was an M60 gunner)- but I didn't have to move too far with it, and survive out of it for weeks or months- and I still threw a lot of "mandatory" crap away the second I hit the ground.

While an initial military load may be very heavy, expected movement is limited. I can still do 25 miles in 6 hours with 60 pounds, every day if needed. I can move that same distance with 80 pounds- for a few days. 55#s is about the max SUSTAINABLE ruck that one can be expected to carry. Even an infantry unit isn't expected to move dismounted with 80# loads for 200 miles in a week...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 12-10-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
That makes more sense. Nice thing is vest weight takes less a toll than ruck weight.

Thats still a huge load to carry day in, day out, for an indefinite period. For a few days, or short movement, not too tough. Move 15-30 miles a day, every day, with that load... you're toast in a week.

My loadout for Panama was well over 100 pounds (I was an M60 gunner)- but I didn't have to move too far with it, and survive out of it for weeks or months- and I still threw a lot of "mandatory" crap away the second I hit the ground.

While an initial military load may be very heavy, expected movement is limited. I can still do 25 miles in 6 hours with 60 pounds, every day if needed. I can move that same distance with 80 pounds- for a few days. 55#s is about the max SUSTAINABLE ruck that one can be expected to carry. Even an infantry unit isn't expected to move dismounted with 80# loads for 200 miles in a week...
If im moving 15-30 miles a day every day indefinitely then I have effed up seriously.. This loadout is for a weeks survival to get from point A to point B. Also as we all know, packs are meant to be dropped when doing anything but walking. Any type of action, engagement, movement through buildings, that pack is hitting the deck. If I'm scouting the ruck gets downgraded to an assault pack with core essentials. (Assault pack lives in the ruck) Food/med/ammo/compass/socks

I'm sure you never got rid of your PT belt though. There is no way you could have survived combat without it.!

μολὼν λαβέ
Old 12-11-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
If im moving 15-30 miles a day every day indefinitely then I have effed up seriously.. This loadout is for a weeks survival to get from point A to point B. Also as we all know, packs are meant to be dropped when doing anything but walking. Any type of action, engagement, movement through buildings, that pack is hitting the deck. If I'm scouting the ruck gets downgraded to an assault pack with core essentials. (Assault pack lives in the ruck) Food/med/ammo/compass/socks

I'm sure you never got rid of your PT belt though. There is no way you could have survived combat without it.!
The premise of the scenario isn't a few days, Point A to Point B and never move again...

You're on the run, you DON'T know for how long or how far.... what you can carry is EVERYTHING that you'll own in the world for the forseable future. If you can't find it, scavage it, or steal it- you don't have it unless its on your back.

You may or may not get to move at your own pace. You may be being pushed by the zombies or other people; not in contact, but evading. Are you going to ditch 95% of your survival, permanently, on day 3...?

Border troll, I'm still considering, and weighing, kit for a permanent, on the move, loadout...
Old 12-11-2016, 10:55 AM

I gave serious thought to replying here. At 66, and not having backpacked for decades, I realize that I would not get far very fast. But, I would get there.
I find my self in a similar situation as Steve in 29(I'm about 200 miles from him as the crow flies), in that I live in what is essentially a desert. What water my town has comes from wells, and the river that runs through town becomes a dry riverbed several miles outside of town. It's all diverted for drinking water and farming.
The nearest running water, short of the river, is an aqueduct 20-50 miles up the valley, depending on the route taken. There are actually two aqueducts in this area, but that one is the closest. Depending on the situation, there may not be much water, since much of the water is moved by pumps. Which may or may not be working, or the aqueduct itself might be damaged. So much of my load will be water. Especially considering the time of year one has to beat feet. With summer temps in the high 90s/low 100s one won't get far without a lot of water. Which cuts down the usable load.
My current plan is at least 7 days of travel to get to my brother's redoubt in the Sierra foothills. Where I can resupply some. However, the direct route to my brother's is about 100 miles, so if I have to follow the water, and avoid large towns, I will have to double the distance traveled, which will affect my load.
My weapons of choice would be my 1911 45acp, and my M14. Ammo load out is in flux at this time as I am still working on that. It's all dependent on what happens and the time of year.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 12-11-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:07 AM

My bugout pack, and 300rds of .44mag - since I have a pistol and rifle in that caliber. I have humped 75+ lbs over distances before, and you do not move fast carrying that kind of weight - nor will you move far at any given time unless you do it a lot. In the pack, water and shelter items are most important - and changes of socks/foot powder, once you tear your feet up you are done moving for a while. Id also take a Katadyn (or similar) walter filtration device, if you are humping a load you go through water fast, so Ill need an alternative source. Finally a portable hand crank charge radio to stay up on news.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
We are both military. My ruck is still nearly 20lbs lighter than my normal one (I'm infantry)

My wife is somewhat of a gym rat and we are both huge into hiking. We have lots of experience with loads of this weight or more for miles on end.
I'm sorta thinking you need to trim back the ammo a bit and add on some extra in other categories....
This isn't a military operation, and you're not moving with squads and platoons.
You're going to be evading more than you'll be fighting
Old 12-11-2016, 08:48 PM

I have a system I built out of surplus us web gear from days gone by.my load out is more for short trips from my home base to pilfer for supplies.if I found a source to replenish my 2 quart canteen I might could stay out the better part of 2 days.
Load out;
Home built ar15 (I love my ak's but .223 will be easier to come by)
My ass pack with a couple mre's and some daytrex bars
2 quart canteen
7 30 round mags (1 in my rifle)
Bayonet for my rifle (also used as utility knife)
First aid kit
Flash light
Water purification tabs
Duffel bag (to carry foraged items)
My neighbor has a similar set up and we would work as a team to find and requisition any and all items we find of interest and bring them back to help augment supplies on hand.our plan is to operate at night and use the cover of darkness to avoid as much interference as possible.

Last edited by baer78; 12-11-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:

The problem with dumping the pack (for recon, etc) is that YOU don't control the circumstances and thus have no way of knowing that you WILL be able to get back to it.

10 hours into your trek your route is blocked (for whatever reason)
You drop pack to go on a recon
Get surprised by zombies(?) and irreparably cut off from your packs
You now have lost almost your entire load out of supplies
You die and get written out of the script

Anything that isn't on your body or in your immediate control can NOT be counted on to be available 5 minutes from now in the fantasy situation the OP provides

This isn't a combat op (nor a casual hiking trip) where you have a base that you can always count on being able to get back to.

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan
Old 12-11-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baer78 View Post
I have a system I built out of surplus us web gear from days gone by.my load out is more for short trips from my home base to pilfer for supplies.if I found a source to replenish my 2 quart canteen I might could stay out the better part of 2 days.
Load out;
2 quart canteen
First aid kit
Flash light
Water purification tabs
My neighbor has a similar set up and we would work as a team to find and requisition any and all items we find of interest and bring them back to help augment supplies on hand.our plan is to operate at night and use the cover of darkness to avoid as much interference as possible.
During heavy exertion 2 qts of water isn't going to last very long. Depending on the temps it might not last even a day. You would be better served by losing one (or both) of the MREs and carrying more water. You WILL die of thirst LONG before you starve to death.

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan
Old 12-11-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
My current plan is at least 7 days of travel to get to my brother's redoubt in the Sierra foothills. Where I can resupply some. However, the direct route to my brother's is about 100 miles, so if I have to follow the water, and avoid large towns, I will have to double the distance traveled, which will affect my load.
My weapons of choice would be my 1911 45acp, and my M14. Ammo load out is in flux at this time as I am still working on that. It's all dependent on what happens and the time of year.
100 miles, direct route, in 7 days, is over 14 miles a day... easy if modestly loaded with zero opposition and very good physical shape. This assumes water resupply is available daily. Much more difficult if one must move clandestinely....

200 miles, with a 55# load,, assuming little resistance or diversion, and robust physical conditioning, , at 10 miles a day- 20 days, minimum...

Last edited by wccountryboy; 12-11-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:17 PM

Have the mountain bikes all been zapped by aliens in this scenario?

How about canoes or boats?

Cause I could reach the family I'm going to by either one.

I'd still go lighter than I would by truck and trailer, but I could take a little more and save my feet.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baer78 View Post
Load out;
2 quart canteen
First aid kit
Flash light
Water purification tabs
Do yourself a favor and add at least a Camelbak from their military line, not the commercial line that has the blue tubing
Something like the Mule

http://shop.camelbak.com/Military-Ta..._c_401_cl_6342

should give you some additional carrying capacity for gear and additional water capacity, and a lot easier to drink from on the move than your canteens are.
Yeah it's a bit pricey for some wallets, but don't just buy it and let it set. Get out and USE it.

For purely water carrying capacity, the Thermobak is a bit cheaper and has more water capacity than the MULE

http://shop.camelbak.com/thermobak3l/d/1384_c_400

I started my military career in the early 90s before all of these hydration packs showed up. My first military Camelbak didn't show up til we did a JRTC rotation before 9/11. What a difference it made, and I still own that Camelbak..just replaced the reservoir actually.

Speaking of which, if you need one on the cheap, look in military surplus stores for some of those older discontinued models. Buy a new reservoir for a few bucks, and you're in the hydration bladder game for much less than new would have cost you.

Still a place in my BOB/ camping gear for my old 1 qt canteen and canteen cup, just not a primary role for hydration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
During heavy exertion 2 qts of water isn't going to last very long. Depending on the temps it might not last even a day. You would be better served by losing one (or both) of the MREs and carrying more water. You WILL die of thirst LONG before you starve to death.
Or just carry more water capacity. The weight of a couple of MREs is relatively inconsequential, especially if it is stripped down

Last edited by tc556guy; 12-11-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:37 PM

Come on Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
The problem with dumping the pack (for recon, etc) is that YOU don't control the circumstances and thus have no way of knowing that you WILL be able to get back to it.

10 hours into your trek your route is blocked (for whatever reason)
You drop pack to go on a recon
Get surprised by zombies(?) and irreparably cut off from your packs
You now have lost almost your entire load out of supplies
You die and get written out of the script

Anything that isn't on your body or in your immediate control can NOT be counted on to be available 5 minutes from now in the fantasy situation the OP provides

This isn't a combat op (nor a casual hiking trip) where you have a base that you can always count on being able to get back to.
Everybody knows that you will just have to call in an air strike and resupply at this point. Get with the program.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:33 PM

Since this is a fantasy I'm in excellent shape, not diabetic, and have eyes like an eagle, and of course, the ladies all thing I'm handsome, strong, smart, and a natural leader.

Reality is like the battle scene in Braveheart where they are hunkering under shields as the arrows rain down. Steven tells Wallace that the Good Lord tells him (Steven) that he'll make it, but that Wallace might be &*((ed. Suddenly I'm relating more to the Scot than the Irishman and me being 33% Irish by DNA.

Let me reset my bag. Cooler tube full of Insulin. A big flask, or two, of Bushmill's Black Bush, water, OMG I almost forgot one of the most important things. A bottle of Tabasco Sauce. That old military staple. I'd probably opt for Red Devil though. A handful of grubs and a dousing of sauce and you're good to go for some fat and protein.

From what I've seen of the way most of those people act in those TV shows and movies I'll probably just find really small packs of survivors and just ambush them to save the from their own stupidity and to keep them from wasting the supplies I could be using.

If it's zombies maybe stake one or two of the expendable fresh meats out with a fresh cut or two and strapped to a big canister of Tannerite. Make it like to those hog videos. As they gather thick put a round from the distance into the Tannerite and take out a bunch. Hopefully enough fresh blood spray and meat chunks to send any zombies responding to the big bang into a frenzy and maybe fighting each other to get to the meat while I make a getaway.

Some might think that a little sadistic. If so, blame my mother. I got that side from her. However, most of the survivors on the shows are idiots and under apocalyptic conditions Darwin needs to get back to work clearing the gene pool that's been really mucked up over generations.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 12-11-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
If it's zombies maybe stake one or two of the expendable fresh meats out with a fresh cut or two and strapped to a big canister of Tannerite. Make it like to those hog videos. As they gather thick put a round from the distance into the Tannerite and take out a bunch. Hopefully enough fresh blood spray and meat chunks to send any zombies responding to the big bang into a frenzy and maybe fighting each other to get to the meat while I make a getaway.

Some might think that a little sadistic. If so, blame my mother. I got that side from her. However, most of the survivors on the shows are idiots and under apocalyptic conditions Darwin needs to get back to work clearing the gene pool that's been really mucked up over generations.
Hello Negan. Where's your bat?
Old 12-12-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
Hello Negan. Where's your bat?
LOL. I had to go look him up.

Obviously I'm not much on Walking Dead. Got turned off when I tried to watch the first episode. For being LE, the cop was kind of a cluster. I thought it was pretty mean and little of the guy who had his zombified wife in his sights. If he really loved her he wouldn't leave her wandering around like that. My wife said she hoped I cared enough for her that in such a situation I would take her out and not leave her like that. I would hope she would reciprocate if the roles were reversed.

I've seen a lot more zombie movies than I ever intended to. Usually because someone else was watching it. Though I must admit that when I finally saw Zombieland I got a kick out of it. Since I'd seen the other zombie flicks I did intentionally watch World War Z. Okay, I watched the Resident Evil flicks after I got stuck watching the first one because I thought Milla Jovovich was pretty hot as a badazz zombie thrasher.

Folks do need to examine the enemy more in terms of weaponry choices. How many times in movies do we see M16s or M4 being used against Godzilla sized monsters. Just in zombies there needs to be a certain bit of knowledge needed for weapons choice. Are we talking old fashioned, slow moving, mindless, foot dragging undead that require brain shots? Or are we talking those fast moving, infecteds? The later sure make a good argument for high capacity, fast shooting arms such as the M4. Pelvic and other shots that breakdown motion. Let em starve on the ground. Just makes sure they can't run or crawl. The former a good shooting suppressed Ruger 10/22 should work for brain shots while moving away at a slow pace.

I want to be in the alien invasion movie where the alien chick is hot in that exotic, alien, but still humanoid sort of way. I want to be the guy who hooks up with her and we become the moving force that stops the invasion and brings both sides together in peace and harmony. Not sure how I'd loadout for that one though.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW

Last edited by Amos Iron Wolf; 12-12-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
LOL. I had to go look him up.

Obviously I'm not much on Walking Dead. Got turned off when I tried to watch the first episode. For being LE, the cop was kind of a cluster. I thought it was pretty mean and little of the guy who had his zombified wife in his sights. If he really loved her he wouldn't leave her wandering around like that. My wife said she hoped I cared enough for her that in such a situation I would take her out and not leave her like that. I would hope she would reciprocate if the roles were reversed.

I've seen a lot more zombie movies than I ever intended to. Usually because someone else was watching it. Though I must admit that when I finally saw Zombieland I got a kick out of it. Since I'd seen the other zombie flicks I did intentionally watch World War Z. Okay, I watched the Resident Evil flicks after I got stuck watching the first one because I thought Milla Jovovich was pretty hot as a badazz zombie thrasher.

Folks do need to examine the enemy more in terms of weaponry choices. How many times in movies do we see M16s or M4 being used against Godzilla sized monsters. Just in zombies there needs to be a certain bit of knowledge needed for weapons choice. Are we talking old fashioned, slow moving, mindless, foot dragging undead that require brain shots? Or are we talking those fast moving, infecteds? The later sure make a good argument for high capacity, fast shooting arms such as the M4. Pelvic and other shots that breakdown motion. Let em starve on the ground. Just makes sure they can't run or crawl. The former a good shooting suppressed Ruger 10/22 should work for brain shots while moving away at a slow pace.

I want to be in the alien invasion movie where the alien chick is hot in that exotic, alien, but still humanoid sort of way. I want to be the guy who hooks up with her and we become the moving force that stops the invasion and brings both sides together in peace and harmony. Not sure how I'd loadout for that one though.
Lots of condoms

Ronald Reagan
Old 12-12-2016, 05:03 AM

So your fantasy loadout is a proper tobacco knife!

Foot Mobile?

Okay, a good pair of boots and three pairs of good socks! I'm too old for that crap though...I'm gonna stay put and deal with the few straggling idiots fool enough to wander up on my isolated place.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in TX View Post
Have the mountain bikes all been zapped by aliens in this scenario?

How about canoes or boats?

Cause I could reach the family I'm going to by either one.

I'd still go lighter than I would by truck and trailer, but I could take a little more and save my feet.
I actually read an opinion a few years ago in which it was recommended to use a bike as a load carrier. Not to ride. The author's rational was that a bike is built to carry a load, and has low rolling resistance. So, his suggestion was to mount the load on the bike, seat and handle bars, and then walk along side the bike while pushing it. One can transport a larger load then if one had to carry it. But then one is pretty much limited to existing roads.
I have no idea how well it will work, so it is something I will have to try.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 12-12-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
I actually read an opinion a few years ago in which it was recommended to use a bike as a load carrier. Not to ride. The author's rational was that a bike is built to carry a load, and has low rolling resistance. So, his suggestion was to mount the load on the bike, seat and handle bars, and then walk along side the bike while pushing it. One transport a larger load then if one had to carry it. But then one is pretty much limited to existing roads.
I have no idea how well it will work, so it is something I will have to try.
The VC managed to use that method to carry a lot of stuff down some rough trails.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:16 PM

Hahaha, great dialogue and suggestions, everyone! This thread is becoming a nice mix of the informative, realistic posts, and the fun storyline posts on the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
Ahh read the whole thing, very funny at the end.

I have a destination in mind 147 miles away. I have 2 female adult children, a 13 yr old daughter who shoots better than most guys I know, and a 11 year old son who has been shooting since he was 6. The wife...meh. She's trophy, and while she can hit the target with a 9MM or .380, she literally closes her eyes the first shot...scares the crap out of me.

To get there I load out as follows:

10 yr old carries the Walther PPK on his hip and his Ruger .22 rifle on his shoulder. I would put 300 rounds of .22 in his pack and the 4 PPK mags plus one spare box.

13 yr old carries the M1 and the glock 19. She's deadly with both, and I have tons of 30 cal....so say 6 mags loaded in her pack and 5 9MM mags. another 50 rounds of .30 in her pack and 200 rounds of 9MM. Now she's an athlete, she runs distance and swims distance...so her stamina is excellent. I probably make her my pack mule.

21 yr old - She's carrying the Winchester lever action and the 1903 Colt police positive .22 revolver. She's better with a rifle, but the little colt fits her hand and has been in my family (actively shot too) for over 100 years...so it was the first thing she shot. She's athletic, so she also can carry the remaining .22 and 9MM ammo.

23yr old - She's gonna die. I liked her too. Sucks. We will give her the Mossberg 12G and she can handle the Springfield 45ACP, but we wont expect much.

Wife - She's athletic and works out constantly, so she is my food bank. she can carry the S&W Governor in its cross carry holster, loaded out with cowboy rounds and 410's alternating cylinders.

Myself...I got the AR plus 7 mags loaded. Since I'm in the movies, I will be carrying my Coonan Classic on my hip with 3 mags loaded (all it will come with in 2-5 weeks when I finally get it) and another 100 rounds in the bag.

I'm stealing horses BTW. I aint walking 150 miles. I know its your story, but Ima steal horses.
Awesome post, Pennywise, I laughed out loud when I got to the poor 23-year-old.

And yes, I will allow the appropriation of horses. However, the 150 mile thing was someone else's idea. On some of the shows they don't seem to travel far at all.