Home Invasion and Lessons learned - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 05:04 PM

cadconversions - another thank you for sharing your story. Out of curiosity, did you and your wife ever discuss what to do in a situation like this? Did you ever sketch out a game plan and prepare? If so, would you mind sharing your thoughts on those plans vs what transpired? Seems like a good idea to have this scenario as a part of your family emergency preparedness plan. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2016, 05:26 PM

Guy didn't get as long as I would've thought.

http://kool.corrections.ky.gov/KOOL/Details/448540

Quote:
Maximum Expiration of Sentence Date : 5/13/2026

Expected Time To Serve (TTS) : 9/18/2023
Classification:
Community (Level 1)
Old 11-19-2016, 06:51 PM

Risk Assessment Rating: Low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Old 11-19-2016, 06:55 PM

Cadconversion, Thank you for sharing this, wow! I'm grateful that you and your wife are alright, as much as can be in these circumstances. We don't know how we will react until the situation happens, or how we will weather the aftereffects. Took a lot of courage on your part to act as you did, and more courage to relive this and share with us. Thank you again, and best wishes to you and your family.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citation650 View Post
Risk Assessment Rating: Low.
He wasn't convicted of murder, isn't likely a member of a prison gang and hasn't assaulted any correctional staff (yet).
Old 11-19-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadconversions View Post
Below, is a copy and paste of my victim's statement given at the final sentencing.
That was a powerful read. Sure am glad you were able to persevere. I made the switch from a railed .45ACP 1911 to an AR pistol for my nightstand gun earlier this year, I often swap between that and a suppressed 300Blk SBR. If I'm at home, one of those 2 firearms are locked and loaded within quick reach.

I've never felt underguned with a .45ACP Railgun or 18 rounds of a railed 9mm pistol by the bedstand, but, as I began to further assess my home defense security posture, it just made more sense to have more firepower at the ready. Scenarios such as yours confirms that I'm not alone in my thought process.

Thanks so much for sharing. Your firsthand account of the evil lurking in any given neighborhood, is a sobering reminder for situational awareness and preparedness. Well Done, Sir!
Old 11-19-2016, 09:12 PM

I am very glad to hear that you and your family are physically all right and hope that you will recover on a spiritual and mental level someday. I also want to thank you for sharing your story although you make me question the wisdom of not being CCW qualified or even carrying at home. I am residing in a nursing home right now due to health issues and unable to even possess a weapon due to the facility regulations. That does not prevent me from working to get CCW qualified, your story tells me that is a good idea at least. Thanks Again!

USAF 1981-1985
http://www.thewebcorner.net
Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit.

Last edited by mzanghetti; 11-19-2016 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Puncuation
Old 11-19-2016, 09:51 PM

Glad that you prevailed and thank you for sharing your story.

Your lessons learned reinforce my choice in carrying .40S&W pistols (and some .45auto) with relatively high capacity (14 to 16 rounds) and having such firearms close-at-hand whenever possible.

A pistol with seven or eight rounds can easily be emptied in a hot hurry, before the job is done, possibly without option/opportunity for a reload. More capacity without requiring a reload is certainly better, even if possibly not needed. And I believe larger caliber trumps smaller caliber, as well.

Higher capacity pistols, in larger calibers, aren't quite so effortless to carry, but they sure are what you would want in a pistol, if a pistol is all you have in hand. And even more important than that are well-exercised situational awareness and adherence to simple security measures.

Glad that you're here to share your story and lessons with the world! Thank you.

Last edited by 3RidersApproaching; 11-19-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
cadconversions - another thank you for sharing your story. Out of curiosity, did you and your wife ever discuss what to do in a situation like this? Did you ever sketch out a game plan and prepare? If so, would you mind sharing your thoughts on those plans vs what transpired? Seems like a good idea to have this scenario as a part of your family emergency preparedness plan. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Long story that I'll try to make really short... I'm a man of faith and believe that God prepares us for situations often as much as he keeps us out of those situations....

Home was burglarized nearly 4 years ago and nothing was stolen. Knew it was a family member that was looking to score and easy target (he knew our schedule) but didn't know we had an alarm... (taught us that bad things happen)

The alarm goes off in the middle of the night (120db is loud inside the house). I jump from the bed, suddenly realized where the alarm pad was located was in a bad funnel and I needed to think through my approach... Meanwhile, wife wouldn't call 911 because she was waiting on the alarm company to call first... We learned valuable lessons and she knew to forget the alarm company and to immediately get on the phone with 911.

The alarm goes off a second time, much better response from the wife till I asked her to hand me the flashlight next to her... She flashed me in the eye, while the alarm is sounding, etc... Moved to the alarm panel, interior garage door, my sons bedroom is between me and the garage. Move swiftly towards the garage only to find my son sleep walking back in the dark from the garage... Lessons learned - keep flashlight with the gun.... Wait, why not make our house lit during the night with strategic wall lights so I don't need a flashlight to necessarily clear the house - only to blind the perp. Also, finger off the trigger - too much adrenaline to trust trigger control... don't point your gun at anything you don't intend to shoot... all of this was instinctive since I had drilled it into my head...

All of that said - the best thing we EVER did was play nerf gun war with our son. It taught us (without even realizing it) the hiding spots, cover, hidden areas of the house, vantage points, etc... It also taught us how to manipulate a very unreliable single shot weapon (rack the slide between each shot) while being shot at, dodging bullets, and in the dark!

The responding officers said that my wife was the best person they ever had on the phone relaying information. She was in command of the situation, knew where to stand, what to say, what to do because we had prepared, discussed, and had developed a plan... even if it was often just to dodge a nerf dart.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:09 PM

Thank you for sharing. I'm curios exactly which Gold Dot round you were using. Also, did the rounds that went in the guys chest expand?

I can understand the desire for more power, but I'm not sure a .40 or .45 would have done better in the situation. AR or 12 gauge would be a different story.

I understand you're still carrying 9mm, that is more for the people saying "that's why I carry a 40".

Again, thank you for sharing and I hope your family is able to move on from such a horrific event, especially your son.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in TX View Post
He wasn't convicted of murder, isn't likely a member of a prison gang and hasn't assaulted any correctional staff (yet).
He was a claim's adjuster for State Farm (I believe it was - they are also my insurance company), liked to dress up in cos-play (explains the sword), and had been at a super bowl party all day and night and didn't lay down till about 6:30 that morning...

We found out, as the Sheriff's department were doing their work - that he had actually broken out of the house where he lived, and had tried to steal a U-Haul truck next door. His BAC was 0.3% (near fatal) but his speech wasn't slurred - his judgment certainly was.

Funny connection - I immediately go to a LGS to buy an AR (had been putting it off - wife didn't see the need at the time - she changed her mind) only to find out the guy at the gun store that sold me the gun (we became good acquaintances) knew the guy and had mutual friends... Small world...
Old 11-19-2016, 11:14 PM

Felt like sharing - we're just the typical family with normal lives... This can happen to anyone.

Second pic is of my wife and her first group with the AR-15 at 74'. She calls it "her gun"
Attached Thumbnails
12107066_10207686018970168_8387522575739503594_n.jpg   10570338_10155333427060790_7604308909504717960_n.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
Thank you for sharing. I'm curios exactly which Gold Dot round you were using. Also, did the rounds that went in the guys chest expand?

I can understand the desire for more power, but I'm not sure a .40 or .45 would have done better in the situation. AR or 12 gauge would be a different story.

I understand you're still carrying 9mm, that is more for the people saying "that's why I carry a 40".

Again, thank you for sharing and I hope your family is able to move on from such a horrific event, especially your son.
None of the rounds expanded...including the one that passed through the tire twice, deflected off the ground, through the wheel well of the car, and hit the brake pedal...

I was using Speer gold dot 124gr - which is a great service weapon round but when used out of a 3" barrel gun - doesn't develop enough velocity to expand. There's a youtube video series dealing with this now...

My choices were to fire through a steel metal door - hoping to hit what was behind it (didn't think my round would penetrate with enough force) or to shoot was visible. I went with the second option. The AR - would have given me the first option.... I'm not for sure a .45 or .40 would have faired any different.

I do feel more than safe with my 9mm even now - however, I don't think I would have felt any better with a .40/.45. Given a choice of which "pistol" I would want to pack into a firearm fight - I would beg for a rifle... If begging didn't work - I would want the most reliable (I never worried if the gun would fire), best shooting (I'm fairly instinctive with that pistol), largest capacity pistol I could get... Unfortunately - that's the most difficult gun to carry... Probably buy a Springfield XD Mod2 in .45 with a 4" barrel for my next pistol but don't plan to buy one anytime soon.

Again, in that moment - nothing you could have carried will give you the feeling of "I have enough" short of an armored tank.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:33 PM

Beautiful family, and nice shooting!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:07 AM

A harrowing account of what many of us concern ourselves with the most.

While we have a choice about what neighborhoods we enter, bars we frequent, even what time of day or night we choose to grocery shop or take a walk, what you experienced takes all "choice" out of the equation.
You handled it well !!

From your account, you did nothing to bring this on yourselves. It was the one type of danger no amount of; "situation awareness" can prevent.

Were there any attempts of apology, asking for forgiveness , or declarations of never doing such a thing again, from this guy;...or does he just really NEED to be deceased ?
Old 11-20-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post

As THE person who said "that's why I carry a 40", I can and did read for myself that he said he still carried a nine. That fact certainly didn't change my thinking, nor my preference to carry a 40 with a higher capacity and a longer barrel than a 9mm EMP.

We each choose our pistol and caliber according to our personal anaylsis and preference.

Any pistol round is a serious compromise as compared to a rifle or 12 gauge 00 Buckshot. Many prefer 40 because it has proven to perform better than 9 (even if some choose to minimize the difference) and it is less likely to deflect and has an edge in busting through bone and barriers while still staying "on course". I'll take the improved ballistics of the .40S&W 180 gr HST from a 4.25" or 4.75" barrel, and a 15-16 round capacity and be happy about it - even if the pistol adds a bit more size and weight. I'm fine with that for my lifestyle.

You can carry whatever you want to; your choice couldn't be of any less significance to me.

A different caliber or pistol may or may not have had better effect than the slow moving Gold Dots from an EMP. But I choose to be armed with a more capable choice myself. This is no reflection on the OP. It's my choice for my circumstances. And as the OP mentioned, in such a situation, you would hope to be armed with as much capability as you possibly can be. Understand that. It is the point of my comment.

Last edited by 3RidersApproaching; 11-20-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Felt like sharing - we're just the typical family with normal lives... This can happen to anyone.

Second pic is of my wife and her first group with the AR-15 at 74'. She calls it "her gun"
Nice to see you. And nice to see your wife handling the AR well and proudly. I'm thinking she is ever more capable in responding to a threat in the future (probably never happen again) and that is likely to be a good confidence builder for her.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RidersApproaching View Post
As THE person who said "that's why I carry a 40", I can and did read for myself that he said he still carried a nine. That fact certainly didn't change my thinking, nor my preference to carry a 40 with a higher capacity and a longer barrel than a 9mm EMP.

We each choose our pistol and caliber according to our personal anaylsis and preference.

Any pistol round is a serious compromise as compared to a rifle or 12 gauge 00 Buckshot. Many prefer 40 because it has proven to perform better than 9 (even if some choose to minimize the difference) and it is less likely to deflect and has an edge in busting through bone and barriers while still staying "on course". I'll take the improved ballistics of the .40S&W 180 gr HST from a 4.25" or 4.75" barrel, and a 15-16 round capacity and be happy about it - even if the pistol adds a bit more size and weight. I'm fine with that for my lifestyle.

You can carry whatever you want to; your choice couldn't be of any less significance to me.

A different caliber or pistol may or may not have had better effect than the slow moving Gold Dots from an EMP. But I choose to be armed with a more capable choice myself. This is no reflection on the OP. It's my choice for my circumstances. And as the OP mentioned, in such a situation, you would hope to be armed with as much capability as you possibly can be. Understand that. It is the point of my comment.
Yes. Carry what you wish. If you want to carry 40 go for it. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not seeing the science to backup that decision though.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....f-Defense-Ammo
Old 11-20-2016, 06:30 AM

Lots of take-aways and lessons learned. The OP and his family survived the incident in no small part due to his determination and tenacity, and despite poorly performing equipment and less than ideal choices.

I'm routinely called a caliber or bullet snob because I have an interest in trying to determine, in as much as its possible, how an SD round will react on targetx and the likely affects. While I don't think that a .45 that failed to expand would have had better terminal effects, the vastly greater momentum may- or may not- have given the criminal pause.

A bullet that expanded violently may well have ended the encounter much sooner. Common handgun offerings aren't stealler man stoppers to begin with; I'll take any edge ai can findx even itlf its a tenth, a one hundredth of an inch....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 11-20-2016, 08:47 AM

Yep, this comes up over and over again, it is not a guarantee, and there are tons of variables which will determine the outcome, but one might want to strive to get the edge in as many of the variables as possible. For some that is caliber choice also, and in addition to other variables. It is about thinking it probabilistic outcomes based on data and information available (not the one-off case, "Well, Granny shot a Grizzly dead with her .22 up in Alaska" ;-)).
Old 11-20-2016, 09:15 AM

Thank you for posting your experience. There is so much information to digest from reading your posts, it is definitely the most interesting and informative post I've read in a long time. You lived through something we all dread and is the reason we own and train with firearms. This should be the lead article in the next American Rifleman's column, "The Armed Citizen". If anyone wonders why the 2nd Amendment is so important, this is it. Thanks again for posting it.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:23 AM

Thanks for sharing with us, I was in a similar situation about 20 years ago during an attempt of home invasion at 2 o'clock at night apparently by an Albanse gang, so I have an idea of what you mean.

Before you start collecting 1911s .... buy books! Collect "quality" not something that you'll be forever making excuses for, and buy the gun not the story behind it.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
He was a claim's adjuster for State Farm (I believe it was - they are also my insurance company), liked to dress up in cos-play (explains the sword), and had been at a super bowl party all day and night and didn't lay down till about 6:30 that morning...

We found out, as the Sheriff's department were doing their work - that he had actually broken out of the house where he lived, and had tried to steal a U-Haul truck next door. His BAC was 0.3% (near fatal) but his speech wasn't slurred - his judgment certainly was.

Funny connection - I immediately go to a LGS to buy an AR (had been putting it off - wife didn't see the need at the time - she changed her mind) only to find out the guy at the gun store that sold me the gun (we became good acquaintances) knew the guy and had mutual friends... Small world...
What are the odds?!! That's like getting hit with lightening or winning some kind of bad luck lottery.

There's not too many people out there who are able to say that a drunk, sword wielding claims adjuster, football fan and cos-player with some pretty dark fantasies rolling around in his head, who stalked their wife and followed her home, tried to bash their way into their home and that they shot them a couple times.

What are the odds?

-----

I do have one question -
Q : Since he was in the process of leaving (in your car which he had stole I believe) was that last shot completely legal? Meaning if you had shot and killed him with a shot to the head would you have been in for a rash of legal problems?

I ask because from my understanding of the law it's generally not legal to shoot if they're fleeing and not armed with a gun. I'm saying this not to talk smack about what you did (in my opinion shooting him at that point should be completely legal), just posting this for discussion about the legality so some future reader doesn't pop one into a fleeing criminals dome and have the law come down on them like a stack of bricks.

It seems to greatly depend on the State and area of the country you live in and what the prevailing attitude is of the people who live there regarding armed self defense as well as the general impression of you held by the first responding officer, the police chief, the primary investigating officer and the district attorney is if you fire shots at the burglar/home invader while they're fleeing as to whether you're charged or not.

I mean take a look at a variety of cases where the homeowner fired at home invaders/burglars while they were fleeing. Sometimes the homeowner was charged ... sometimes they weren't.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/25/justic...ant/index.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/26...aimed-was.html

---

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/18/oh...oting-burglar/

----

http://www.wlky.com/article/man-char...glar-1/3759836

http://www.wlky.com/article/jury-to-...rder-1/3761408

-------

http://www.guns.com/2013/02/14/utah-...-for-shooting/

Last edited by Gary in TX; 11-20-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:20 PM

There are a handfull of fragmenting bullets on the market, why not go with one of those?
Old 11-20-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in TX View Post
What are the odds?!! That's like getting hit with lightening or winning some kind of bad luck lottery.

There's not too many people out there who are able to say that a drunk, sword wielding claims adjuster, football fan and cos-player with some pretty dark fantasies rolling around in his head, who stalked their wife and followed her home, tried to bash their way into their home and that they shot them a couple times.

What are the odds?

-----

I do have one question -
Q : Since he was in the process of leaving (in your car which he had stole I believe) was that last shot completely legal? Meaning if you had shot and killed him with a shot to the head would you have been in for a rash of legal problems?

I ask because from my understanding of the law it's generally not legal to shoot if they're fleeing and not armed with a gun. I'm saying this not to talk smack about what you did (in my opinion shooting him at that point should be completely legal), just posting this for discussion about the legality so some future reader doesn't pop one into a fleeing criminals dome and have the law come down on them like a stack of bricks.

It seems to greatly depend on the State and area of the country you live in and what the prevailing attitude is of the people who live there regarding armed self defense as well as the general impression of you held by the first responding officer, the police chief, the primary investigating officer and the district attorney is if you fire shots at the burglar/home invader while they're fleeing as to whether you're charged or not.

I mean take a look at a variety of cases where the homeowner fired at home invaders/burglars while they were fleeing. Sometimes the homeowner was charged ... sometimes they weren't.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/25/justic...ant/index.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/26...aimed-was.html

---

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/18/oh...oting-burglar/

----

http://www.wlky.com/article/man-char...glar-1/3759836

http://www.wlky.com/article/jury-to-...rder-1/3761408

-------

http://www.guns.com/2013/02/14/utah-...-for-shooting/

First I'll say that was quite a moving real life account. As a man of faith God made sure he had your back that day. It was simply meant to be and meant to be that you were there to do what you did.
Reading your account I'll admit half choked me up and my eyes watered a bit as I sit and stare across my living room at my two kids rooms. Followed wife home and tried to kidnap her.
Again thank God and you for stopping him that day.

A: I'm now thinking about going back to a high capacity pistol like my Sig M11 or Beretta instead of the 9mm Commander I normally carry. Suddenly 10+1 doesn't sound like 'enough'.

B: I read all three pages thinking same as above and was gonna ask it. Can you elaborate a bit more on the rounds you fired at the car? I never really got that clear? You're only in a towel. In one of your posts I think you mention you leaned out the now broken glass of front door and shot at him in your car? Is that correct?
If so did you do this because as he was leaving headed back toward your car he said he was coming back to kill you? And because of that you were like 'no you're not!' and wanted to end him right there to make sure that he didn't make good on that verbal threat later in life....moments, hours, days or whatever time later?

That is the intriguing aspect of your story. Shooting at him from inside your house as he was leaving.

Glad you and your family are safe. Yes there be demons amongst us. Best carry swords to slay those dragons......
COTEP#782
Closed Thread