Home Invasion and Lessons learned - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 11:13 AM

Criminy, what a nightmare! I'm glad you & your family survived this.

On guns, I carry a .380 (Sig) with Buffalo Bore as that's the maximum size gun that I can pocket carry with my skinny build & light clothing. So that's a firepower compromise that I make to not have to alter my lifestyle around CCW.

But at home, size & weight are no issue. So it's an 870 loaded with a mix of 00 Buck & slugs. Wife's job is calling 911, with the .357 kept handy.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:13 AM

Glad you and your family are okay, at least physically. What an ordeal.

I would substitute "stop" for "kill" in your statement. "I shot to stop the threat. Not, I shot to kill."

If the perp dies, so be it. Your job is to stop the threat from harming you and yours.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:05 PM

Thanks for sharing, I'm glad you and yours are safe today and very disappointed in the judicial system.

Your story hits home for me since I'm an on-site manager at a storage facility. I'm single and no dog or alarm system so I really need to be more aware of my surroundings when in my apt.

I'd like to ask your preferred holsters for both in and outside your home and while driving.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETim View Post
Glad you and your family are okay, at least physically. What an ordeal.

I would substitute "stop" for "kill" in your statement. "I shot to stop the threat. Not, I shot to kill."

If the perp dies, so be it. Your job is to stop the threat from harming you and yours.
You are absolutely correct. However, I had long been cleared of any possible charges and he had had already admitted guilt. I wasn't too worried about the correct political speech as much as I was clearly conveying that I had tried to end the threat with death
Old 11-18-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
Thanks for sharing, I'm glad you and yours are safe today and very disappointed in the judicial system.

Your story hits home for me since I'm an on-site manager at a storage facility. I'm single and no dog or alarm system so I really need to be more aware of my surroundings when in my apt.

I'd like to ask your preferred holsters for both in and outside your home and while driving.
We own our facility so we don't have to worry about the owners view on Guns... that said - I don't leave the house or have anyone come through the door that I don't have a weapon on me. Normally - a Ruger LCP is slipped in my pocket for someone I know...

If we have locked a unit or an unknown person - I'll have either my Ed Brown or my EMP9 inside the waistband in a Milt Sparks VM-II HOSTER.

If something goes bump outside and I need to check it out - I walk the property with my AR-15
Old 11-18-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadconversions View Post
Thank you for providing me an opportunity to express my feelings and the impact that we have faced as a family from the lasting effects of this violent crime.
Wow... No. I think you are wrong here. You do not owe us a thank you. I want to thank you! Let me say this again.

Thank you!!!

The courage you displayed in defending your wife, your home, and yourself cannot be measured. Your willingness to give us your story, all of it, is telling of your character.

I cannot begin to imagine what this has done to you and your family. I feel for your wife and son.

If I may be so presumptuous, I'd like to collate your story and print it. I will not include any information about you. I will not share it online. There are a few people I wish to share this with. One of which is a young mother who just recently asked me about owning a gun.

I do not wish to scare her or anyone else. I do wish to impart the grave nature of the world we live in and the reluctant responsibility we fellows take on when we decide to step up to protect ourselves, our family, and our home.

Your words are eloquent, tragic, and inspiring.

Again, thank you.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely correct. However, I had long been cleared of any possible charges and he had had already admitted guilt. I wasn't too worried about the correct political speech as much as I was clearly conveying that I had tried to end the threat with death
I did not mean to lecture you. I'm sorry if it appeared that way. I have not BTDT and I sincerely hope I am never put in that position.

I simply wanted to point out to others, that in today's world, you have to be very careful with words.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:46 PM

Incredible story and thx u for sharing ... practice and always have the right ammo on ur HD weapons !!! Glad u and ur family are ok... Happy Holidays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
We own our facility so we don't have to worry about the owners view on Guns... that said - I don't leave the house or have anyone come through the door that I don't have a weapon on me. Normally - a Ruger LCP is slipped in my pocket for someone I know...

If we have locked a unit or an unknown person - I'll have either my Ed Brown or my EMP9 inside the waistband in a Milt Sparks VM-II HOSTER.

If something goes bump outside and I need to check it out - I walk the property with my AR-15
The owners of my facility are very pro gun/pro 2A to the point of it being part of the interview

Mind if I ask which state you live in?

Last edited by Grizz12; 11-18-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:27 PM

I've never had to unholster a weapon in civilian life and I pray I never have to. You did very well considering the situation.
Dan Wesson Guardian .45 |Springfield LW Operator | Springfield EMP 9mm |Springfield XD-M 9mm 4.5 OSP Deltapoint Pro 7.5 | Springfield XD-M .45 3.8 | Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 45 | Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm | Smith & Wesson 442
Old 11-18-2016, 04:38 PM

Glad to hear that your family will get to share Thanksgiving together. You have plenty to be thankful for. I've learned a lot from reading your story - sadly, you learned it the hard way. Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:58 PM

Please do not take this wrong.

I am not criticizing anything that you did. I was not there. But I will make one observation. You mention the firepower that you had at your disposal at the time. You may want to reconsider the warning shot idea. Just sayin.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I am not criticizing anything that you did. I was not there. But I will make one observation. You mention the firepower that you had at your disposal at the time. You may want to reconsider the warning shot idea. Just sayin.
I think he did mention it.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:01 PM

Glad you shared this. There are always lessons to be learned from a real experiences such as this one explained in detail. I wish you and your family a peaceful future.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:00 PM

You are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
I think he did mention it.
Post #13, I guess that I lost track of that the first time around.

Last edited by USMM guy; 11-18-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:24 AM

Thanks for sharing, glad you guys made it through this, every person's nightmare.

Last edited by combat auto; 11-19-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsNCrash View Post
***snip****

If I may be so presumptuous, I'd like to collate your story and print it. I will not include any information about you. I will not share it online. There are a few people I wish to share this with. One of which is a young mother who just recently asked me about owning a gun.

I do not wish to scare her or anyone else. I do wish to impart the grave nature of the world we live in and the reluctant responsibility we fellows take on when we decide to step up to protect ourselves, our family, and our home.

Your words are eloquent, tragic, and inspiring.

Again, thank you.
We shared our story so that others can learn from it and be better prepared for anything that may face them. Please feel free to share...
Old 11-19-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETim View Post
I did not mean to lecture you. I'm sorry if it appeared that way. I have not BTDT and I sincerely hope I am never put in that position.

I simply wanted to point out to others, that in today's world, you have to be very careful with words.
You didn't come across that way at all. Thank you for your words of wisdom
Old 11-19-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
That morning - all I had was my emp9 with a few loaded mags (which I never thought to grab but also had no where to put them seeing I was just wearing a towel! lol ) and that was it... Now, I feel like fort knox and may have went slightly overboard.... Nah, who am I kidding, tanks coming next week

The one point I would want everyone to remember... A gun is better than no gun regardless of the caliber...but you'll never feel that you have an adequate self-defense weapon short of a fully armored tank... so, pack what you like but be proficient and have the right ammo for your specific gun - not just someone's "favorite" round that may not function well in your barrel length, etc...
Old 11-19-2016, 01:51 PM

Thank you all for your encouragement, thoughts, and prayers. My wife and I wanted to share our story when appropriate - to hopefully help those on the fence with their wives and family in getting them to consider their own self-defense and how quickly things can change - even in our safest of spaces.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Please feel free to share...
Thank you. It is your story. I thought you would not mind but respect that it is your story. I had to ask.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:05 PM

I probably missed it. I know nothing of these e-cigs. Can you give some detail on how such a thing deflected a bullet?
Old 11-19-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
I probably missed it. I know nothing of these e-cigs. Can you give some detail on how such a thing deflected a bullet?
Small metal case that heats fluid and produces "vapors" that are smoked like a cigarette... the bullet literally hit him in the chest, where the device was in a pocket... that alone stopped the 9mm gold Speer dot out of the 3" barrel and cause it to deflect and just graze his opposite chest
Old 11-19-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Small metal case that heats fluid and produces "vapors" that are smoked like a cigarette... the bullet literally hit him in the chest, where the device was in a pocket... that alone stopped the 9mm gold Speer dot out of the 3" barrel and cause it to deflect and just graze his opposite chest
I almost made a joke about that nasty perp changing his name to Lucky, but that wouldn't be polite.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:50 PM

Exactly why I carry a .45, I have 9mm in the house along with a AR-15, and a 308 bolt action rifle, also carry a Marlin lever action 30-30 in the tool box of my truck. Im glad both of you survived with no physical injuries, hope you didnt get your feet cut up either.
Closed Thread