1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 09:07 PM

Home Invasion and Lessons learned

I couldn't even tell you who won the Super Bowl in 2015... I don't even recall the two teams that played but the events of the next morning will forever live in my mind.

Nearly two years later and countless court dates - I'm just now able to share our experience. I hope in doing so - it will prepare you and your family for what may come. On February 2, 2015 - our lives were changed forever after an attempted home invasion. Below, is a copy and paste of my victim's statement given at the final sentencing. Some personal information has been redacted...

I'll share more in subsequent post...

Your honor, I am here today so that the full impact of this crime is brought to your attention.

Had Nathan succeeded in his attack - the headline in the Citizen-Times that week would have read, “Local Pastor and Wife Killed in Apparent Home Invasion.” However, this crime cannot be simplified down to just a case of an unsuccessful home invasion stopped by a good guy with a gun. Rather, this was an unprovoked attempt to kidnap, possibly rape, and then murder my wife. The only thing that stopped Nathan from committing these violent acts – was a husband willing to stand between his wife and someone bent on destroying their home.

While the plea agreement may only indicate the final accepted charges – a review of the events from that morning may give you further insight into Nathan’s actions and his true intentions. Had this simply been about stealing a car – then he would have had our car. Having just dropped our son off for his morning bus ride to school, Nathan watched my wife pass by the U-Haul dealership where he was damaging their property. He was captured on their surveillance video watching her drive-by and immediately leaving to follow her to our home. Unaware she was being stalked – she left our vehicle running in the driveway and our front door unlocked.

My wife was first alerted to someone at our house by our puppy barking and the sound of a car door shutting. Supposing it to be an unexpected customer for our storage business – she peers through the blinds of our front door and sees Nathan sitting in our car. She can still recall his demented smile as he made eye contact with his victim and waved at her.

Had he simply been wanting to steal the car – it was his - all he had to do was drive-off and he would have gotten away. Instead, he had other thoughts – very intentional thoughts - he wasn’t sitting in the car in an attempt to steal it – he was a predator, sitting in the car lying in wait for his unsuspecting prey to walk-out her front door - where he could over-power her, kidnap, possibly rape, and ultimately kill her.

I’m thankful that this demon was twisted enough to lay in wait for his prey - had he just came in the front door – he would have found the door unlocked, my wife in the back of the house, our dog in the crate, and me in the bathroom still wrapped in a towel – completely away from our guns, our phones, and no match for a man with a weapon. That day wouldn’t have ended with a criminal behind bars – it would have ended with my wife and I bludgeoned to death in a brutal assault by Nathan Ewing.

Instead, those brief few moments of panic allowed my wife to lock the front door and yell - alerting me to the potential danger. I grabbed my gun from the bedroom but before I could race into the living room, expecting just to see someone driving away with our car – Nathan had already tried to enter the now locked door and had broken through the glass of the front door in an attempt to go after my wife, whom he had wrongly assumed to be alone.

While his family and friends, whom have probably written character references - would tell you how nice and caring Nathan is, how drugs and alcohol had taken him down the wrong road, and how they could never imagine him committing such a violent act like this – that morning he was hell bent on doing only one thing – he was there, determined for whatever the reason - to kill us.

For the next 8 minutes – with my pistol leveled at him – willing to use whatever force was necessary to end the threat against my family – all I could think is, “Why?” Why is he here? Why us? Why won’t he just stop? He was unrelenting, he was bent on destruction, and there was nothing that I seemed to be able to do that could stop him…

When I received my concealed permit my father, a Veteran of Vietnam, asked if I really thought I could kill someone to protect my family. Truth is, it was a question I had hoped to never answer and one I had intended to die an old man having never answered. That morning, peering over the sights of my pistol – pointing a load weapon at another human – I was faced with that same daunting question but this time it demanded an answer.

My first shot was an intentional warning shot – maybe if he knew I was serious, maybe if he knew I really did have a gun, that I would really pull the trigger - that he would stop but NO - he wouldn’t stop. Instead of running from the threat – it only served to enrage him even more. “You shot at me,” he yelled while I told him that I had a gun, was in fear of my life and would be forced to shoot him if he came through my front door. “You might as well get ready to F’n kill me because I’m coming in” he retaliated.

As he reached through the broken glass to unlock the door – he exposed his leg – round two was fired to disable him. If I shot him, if I hit him, if I could just get him to stop – then it would be over. He spins from the doorway, screaming – almost in surprise that I had shot him.

I’ll never forget the sound glass makes as it breaks – I can still close my eyes and hear the sound the sword made as it shattered the glass while Nathan violently breaks out the window adjacent to our front door and finishes breaking out the rest of the glass from the front door. “I’m coming in to F’n kill you all!” Again, all I could think is, “Why won’t you just stop? Why won’t you just leave? Take the car and leave!”

This time he was more careless trying to unlock the door – he didn’t show me his leg - he exposed part of his chest. I quickly fired three additional rounds hitting him in the chest with the first round. The round struck him in an electronic cigarette that deflected the bullet across his chest. I knew I was in a dangerous position – I had already fired 4 rounds out of the pistol and couldn’t continue the fight the way it was going much longer.

I quickly moved, with bare feet over the broken glass towards the front door. I approached the door expecting to unload the pistol at point blank range to kill him – to end the fight - instead, Nathan has moved back to our car. With my pistol pointing at his head – he boldly tells me, “I’m coming back to F’n Kill all of you!” My last shot fired at Nathan in an attempt to kill him - was aimed at center mass through the driver’s window of my car. That round was deflected by the breaking glass of the window - passing through the hat he was wearing in 3 places and within a small fraction of hitting his head.

Out of the 8 rounds fired that day – 4 were meant as a deterrent to stop him – the other 4 were meant to kill him. I tried my best that morning to settle a debt that he now owed with his life but I failed. Instead of justice being instant – we have since lived in the constant fear that he would make good on his promise to return - that he would try to make good on his promise to kill us.... cont'd
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4538.JPG   IMG_4542.JPG   IMG_4548.JPG   IMG_4550.JPG   IMG_4555.JPG   IMG_4556.JPG  

IMG_4560.JPG   IMG_4563.JPG   IMG_4574.PNG  

Last edited by cadconversions; 11-18-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:08 PM

continued...

For the last 15 months, we have stood in the hallway of the courthouse and sat through every hearing, even a few Nathan didn’t have the time to make - for him to accept a plea deal to lesser charges 2 days before his trial. Nathan has known all along he was guilty of these crimes – he has known all along that he tried to harm, kill, and to destroy a family.

Instead of facing his charges quickly – he received one more Thanksgiving with his family, one more Christmas to celebrate with those that loved him, one more new year, one more year trying to find every possible avenue to keep from paying his debt to society for the crimes in which he knew he was guilty.

We, the victims of his crime - have spent that time trying to gather our life back together - living in fear of every knock on the door, every trip outside with our dog, every walk to the mailbox, and every dinner out with the family. We’ve spent these past months trying to explain to our now 8-year-old son that the world is full of evil people, intent on causing harm to even the most of innocent people.

That day, Nathan tried to take my son’s parents from him but instead – he took his childhood. He took his safety, he took his security, he took his home, he took his front yard, he took his freedom to spend time outside with his dog, and replaced it with fear and mistrust. Instead of being excited for company – he hides behind the couch when they knock on the door. Our family has lived in fear and paranoia of every person we encounter – even our neighbors.

I have my son here this morning in court because I want him to know two absolute truths; One, there is always a punishment and a personal responsibility for every bad choice and decision we make in life and secondly, that his parents will do anything necessary to ensure his safety and the sanctity of our home.

As the days have passed – I think we are getting better – I think things are returning back to some level of normalcy – and then something happens that triggers all of those fears again. The house alarm goes off in the middle of the night from a storm, you spring from the bed, grab your gun, and run towards your sleeping child – imaging the worse…Then it occurs to you – life will be and is forever changed. There’s no more innocence in the world, there’s no more safety, there is no more peace, instead – a small war plays out in your mind with every passing stranger.

Nathan, or Death as he called himself upon his arrest that morning by Officer Keen – may be a somewhat normal guy under different circumstances but there’s a very dark demon that lives deep inside of him – and that demon is only one high away from unleashing hell on another unsuspecting life. I’ve spent every day since then – regretting that I didn’t kill the demon at my door that day. The thought that he could still bring such a destructive force to bear on someone else is frightening to me.

After Nathan had been pulled from our disabled car, the dispatcher had ended the 911 call, and we were left alone in our glass strewn home – my wife collapses into my arms uncontrollably sobbing and can only ask me one question, “What would have happened had you not been here to save me?”

The reality is that I can’t always be there for everyone - I wasn’t there for Gabbi, I wasn’t there for Gary, I wasn’t there for Chelsey but I was there to stop this one. I was there to make sure that our names weren’t printed in the obituaries this time and for this I’m thankful but my heart breaks for so many others that had no one to defend them.

Today, I ask the court to begin making right the wrongs in this case and to sentence Nathan Scott Ewing to the maximum imposable sentence for the charges to which he is guilty. Do not allow a proven violent felon his freedom but rather hold him accountable for his actions. Ensure that the impact of his crimes are settled in the severity of his sentence.

Thank you for providing me an opportunity to express my feelings and the impact that we have faced as a family from the lasting effects of this violent crime.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:20 PM

Lessons learned...

* Know your ammo. I was shooting a Springfield EMP in 9mm using Speer Gold Dot 124grain bullets. Out of a 3" gun - these rounds proved to be the worse possible. The round that hit Nathan - passed straight through - zero expansion. the second shot that hit him was easily diverted by hitting an e-cig in his pocket and only grazed his chest. The third round fired through the glass of the door - was completely deflected. Another round was fired at the front drivers tire and hit the tire, passed through, hit the ground, deflected through the firewall / pan of the car - striking the brake pedal before falling to the floor mat - wasn't expanded!

* If you think a 9mm is big enough - you've don't know what you are talking about... I wanted a RPG and still would have felt under-powered.. That said, I still pack a 9mm (and a .45, and a .380...)

* Talking about killing someone and finally pulling the trigger to do so is two different things... While my life was certainly in danger - the warning shot was to hopefully divert the attacker in a hope I wouldn't kill him. Don't tell me you wouldn't have a thought about killing someone else - having been there - you pause... That said - my biggest immediate regret that day - was that I hadn't killed him...

* 8 rounds were fired in around 10 seconds... Yes, you need more rounds than you think. We now own 2 - AR-15's and have over 500 rounds loaded in mags ready for action at a moments notice. When something goes bump in the night - I don't reach for a pistol.... Pistols are meant for packing - not defending your home.

* Which gun site is the best? I have no idea - never saw them! However, it doesn't mean I wasn't accurate. I was able to hit the guy in the leg, again in the chest, lean out a door and shoot center mass through a car window, then shoot out a tire of a moving car... All without "aiming"

* Too many safeties and the pesky grip safety.... Never was an issue - I found myself going over and over in mind... "Safety off, grip high, thumbs forward, finger off the trigger, etc..." Train well - fight well

* moments matter and minutes feel like hours

* Cell Phones - DO NOT ever leave your cell phone laying around. 911 was immediately able to dispatch but had it not been for having a cell phone handy (which I didn't - thank God for a smart wife) - she was able to immediately call 911 and get them on the way.... 8 minutes from the time 911 was called till they had him in custody... Seemed like 4 hours

Overall, I'm thankful to have survived but I can tell you the toil it has taken on the family - doesn't make us feel like much of a survivor.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:28 PM

Sorry to hear this. But thanks for sharing. It must be tough to be in your shoes.
I've had a CHL for a while myself and have gone through the mental scenario of "what ifs".
You have brought that home. I know a lot of us are going to watch this. Let us know how the sentencing turns out please.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:28 PM

Thank you for sharing, very glad you survived to tell the story.......Grace and Peace to you and your family.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims1911C View Post
Sorry to hear this. But thanks for sharing. It must be tough to be in your shoes.
I've had a CHL for a while myself and have gone through the mental scenario of "what ifs".
You have brought that home. I know a lot of us are going to watch this. Let us know how the sentencing turns out please.
Thank you - part of the reason I'm just now sharing - this week, he was denied his second shock probation and will serve up to 10 years in prison after the plea agreement. He was facing a minimum of 10 - max of 20 years on original charges. His first chance for parole - is May 2018..

Link to the original news article:
http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=58059
Old 11-17-2016, 09:38 PM

Wow! That was some ordeal! I'm really glad that you and your family made it out alive and unharmed. Most importantly, glad that you were around and willing and able to protect your loved ones.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:40 PM

After reading your last post

I thought I'd share this.
I had wondered what firearm would be best to carry. The 380 Colt seemed easy to carry and my LGS owner and friend carries a 32 which he thinks is "plenty". I doubted that when he first told me but didn't say anything of course.
At any rate. After some thought I decided on the Glock 30 and keep it loaded with Hornady +P HP with the expansion core.. I find them to be more accurate at the range than a standard Military hard ball load.
By the way I carry it all of the time...even at home in the house....I find myself thinking of the what if of a person kicking in the door and I'm a room away from a weapon. So I just got used to carrying 99% of the time. I will switch out for a S&W 38 special sometimes but only at home. Out I am always carrying the 45 ACP Glock. I've had a few times in my life where there were semi close calls but never have had to use a weapon in self defense as a civilian and don't wish to as you say. It's the last thing we want to have to do is take a life. But sometimes that evil has to be dealt with and we may be chosen to do it.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:37 PM

Thank you so much for sharing sir! You are a hero regardless of how you feel about this harrowing day. You did your best sir and it earned you much respect.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:57 PM

Wow, what an ordeal!
Old 11-18-2016, 07:00 AM

Thank you for sharing this experience. Very sorry for you and your family for having to endure that ordeal. This is a great demonstration of the reality too many people face unprepared and with different outcomes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2016, 07:06 AM

A large thank you for sharing this story of your ordeal. Only a few times have I had to point a gun at someone, and fortunately they both egressed quickly. I was taught in the MP's to never fire a warning shot because we were accountable for where that round went, so because of my training, my first will be targeted at the threat itself. Not everyone has had that training, and you certainly had the thought processes going for just wanting to end the threat without having to kill someone - it is an irrevocable act and will cause emotional stress long afterwards for anyone with a conscience. You are a courageous and thoughtful man, faithful to your family, and I wish you Peace and healing of your emotional price paid for the action you were forced to take. Bravo sir.
Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Dillon RL550B
Old 11-18-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
A large thank you for sharing this story of your ordeal. Only a few times have I had to point a gun at someone, and fortunately they both egressed quickly. I was taught in the MP's to never fire a warning shot because we were accountable for where that round went, so because of my training, my first will be targeted at the threat itself. Not everyone has had that training, and you certainly had the thought processes going for just wanting to end the threat without having to kill someone - it is an irrevocable act and will cause emotional stress long afterwards for anyone with a conscience. You are a courageous and thoughtful man, faithful to your family, and I wish you Peace and healing of your emotional price paid for the action you were forced to take. Bravo sir.
Thank you - I did have the clear thought of mind and made sure my warning shot was close enough he knew it but safe enough to account for it. That said - as the fight progressed - I would have given anything to have had that round back
Old 11-18-2016, 08:21 AM

Glad you are OK

Sad thing I kept thinking - in some states and lots of other countries - you would be the bad guy!!
Old 11-18-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadconversions View Post
Thank you - I did have the clear thought of mind and made sure my warning shot was close enough he knew it but safe enough to account for it. That said - as the fight progressed - I would have given anything to have had that round back
You did very well for the situation. This very type of occurrence is why a few of us spend money each year on self-defense handgun training, because it may be the difference between surviving or being a statistic. I'm very glad you and your family are survivors. One thing I learned in LE years ago is that the sense of innocence lost, or sense of security lost, i.e. p the impact to one's psyche in such situations, take a long time to recover to whatever degree it will, and sometimes that can be facilitated with regular counseling for a while. Just a thought for you to consider.
Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Dillon RL550B
Old 11-18-2016, 09:27 AM

My Prayers are with you and your Family! You performed admirably. You saved your Family. Nothing more can be asked of us.

Plenty of Lessons Learned. The loss of your Safety and Security. That you had that in the first place was a fantasy. You were prepared. You trained. Your wife reacted instinctively and swiftly to the dangers.

Kudos on Protecting your loved ones. You will always be their Hero! You now know to the full that the title "Hero" comes with great responsibility. You faced it head on and did not back down. You did better then a vast majority would have.

Life only goes on, only because of the decisions you made that day, and the decisions and preparations you made in the days leading up to this event.

God Bless you and your Family Sir.

Adamg247
US Navy (Ret), Oath Keeper.
"United States Navy - "The Sea is Ours"

Last edited by AdamG247; 11-18-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:53 AM

Thank You.
God Bless You And Yours.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG247 View Post
My Prayers are with you and your Family! You performed admirably. You saved your Family. Nothing more can be asked of us.

Plenty of Lessons Learned. The loss of your Safety and Security. That you had that in the first place was a fantasy. You were prepared. You trained. Your wife reacted instinctively and swiftly to the dangers.

Kudos on Protecting your loved ones. You will always be their Hero! You now know to the full that the title "Hero" comes with great responsibility. You faded it head on and did not back down. You did better then a vast majority would have.

Life only goes on, only because of the decisions you made that day, and the decisions and preparations you made in the days leading up to this event.

Very Well Stated
And I Totally Agree!
Old 11-18-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG247 View Post

Kudos on Protecting your loved ones. You will always be their Hero! You now know to the full that the title "Hero" comes with great responsibility. You faded it head on and did not back down. You did better then a vast majority would have.

Great post!

I think through the writings, and it's actually good (I think) to mentally enact such things in one's own setting. I even thought it through with a rifle in hand. Interesting. God bless indeed.

Last edited by Oilypablo; 11-18-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-18-2016, 09:59 AM

That was very powerful. Thank you for sharing. This one will sit with me for a while.

I'm sorry about the little news blurb. "The victim shot at Ewing as he drove off...." doesn't quite capture what really happened.

Last edited by Guyfromohio; 11-18-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:13 AM

Just out of curiosity - did this nutjob attempt to make a statement in his defense at sentencing?
Old 11-18-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromohio View Post
That was very powerful. Thank you for sharing. This one will sit with me for a while.

I'm sorry about the little news blurb. "The victim shot at Ewing as he drove off...." doesn't quite capture what really happened.
Not for sure if it will be readable - but here's my local papers story. They missed some details as well...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0105.JPG  
Old 11-18-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Longmire View Post
Just out of curiosity - did this nutjob attempt to make a statement in his defense at sentencing?
Sure did... BAC of 0.3% and fully functioning but "blacked out and don't remember anything". He holds no ill will and is a college educated professional that meant no harm...
Old 11-18-2016, 10:37 AM

And to think this psycho could be out in less than 2 years.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:45 AM

2 to the chest one to the head. Killing a human is the most life changing moment you may ever have. This guy was not a human !!!!!!!!
Closed Thread