In defense of dogs - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-14-2016, 09:04 AM

In defense of dogs

....I would like to see some feedback ...on the defense of dogs.

the scenario...is a trespasser....having scaled a fence....has been intercepted..by the family dog..and when you see this...the trespasser is fighting with your dog...beating/kicking....using a weapon of some kind.

would you...how would you...come to the defense of your dog?
Old 10-14-2016, 09:06 AM

The family dog should be kept inside the house not left outside alone in the yard, especially at night.

Before you start collecting 1911s .... buy books! Collect "quality" not something that you'll be forever making excuses for, and buy the gun not the story behind it.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:48 AM

no brainer. dog = family. stranger in yard = threat. the assumption is that he's coming after me next. deadly force is justified.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:19 AM

I actually have some family experience with this scenario. I lived with my aunt and uncle (gunsmith) during the summers. Summer of 1975 in the afternoon their Akida was in the backyard for his potty break, and some guy happened to scale the side yard fence to break into the shed. The dog surprised the guy and was able to get him on the ground. My uncle (was armed), cousin, and I restrained the guy, and my aunt called the police. The bad part of the situation is that my uncle and aunt were sued for the physical damage (100+ stitches) and medical bills by the intruder. The homeowners insurance settled, but it was still a financial burden on my aunt and uncle.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:29 AM

If I catch you beating on my dog.

And it will not go well for you.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin63 View Post
I actually have some family experience with this scenario. I lived with my aunt and uncle (gunsmith) during the summers. Summer of 1975 in the afternoon their Akida was in the backyard for his potty break, and some guy happened to scale the side yard fence to break into the shed. The dog surprised the guy and was able to get him on the ground. My uncle (was armed), cousin, and I restrained the guy, and my aunt called the police. The bad part of the situation is that my uncle and aunt were sued for the physical damage (100+ stitches) and medical bills by the intruder. The homeowners insurance settled, but it was still a financial burden on my aunt and uncle.
That might happen in SoCal but don't bet on the same result in Texas. As far as I'm concerned - fresh meat for poochie. And if I see him hurting my dog in any way, he's a dead man. I'm old enough to not worry about doing time, i.e., the law has no hold on me if I decide to act.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-14-2016, 11:48 AM

I'll shoot the S.O.B. probably more than once .
Old 10-14-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
That might happen in SoCal but don't bet on the same result in Texas. As far as I'm concerned - fresh meat for poochie. And if I see him hurting my dog in any way, he's a dead man. I'm old enough to not worry about doing time, i.e., the law has no hold on me if I decide to act.
It was in Sacramento, but yeah, if that guy was hurting my uncle's dog, he would've got shot. In this case, the dog had really tore up the guy and he was in a fetal position trying to protect himself when my uncle got to him.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:29 PM

I was faced with a situationtoday that made me think about defending my pets. An ahole has his dog running loose. I was walking 3 x 65 lb and up Pit bulls(very mellow house dogs--not the fighting kind) this MF dog came up and bit my dogs as I tried to kick it and scare it. I was wondering what the cops woul d have done if I shot that viscous POS or stabbed it with a knife?

some say I would lose my gun permit and be haule d off to jail...others say not

the law views an attack of any kind --people or dogs) as a threat to your life and body--under some if not all circumstances.If opportunity,ability and intent are present who cares if it is person or a wild dog coming to do harm?

of course if you get a cop with a stick up his butt you may be off to the pokey-- I cannot risk that and I do NOT want to kill or maim a dog BUT my guys are prescious to me--they ARE my family
Old 10-14-2016, 12:53 PM

My backyard has a 6' privacy fence and is posted with "No Trespassing" signs.
My dogs are in the yard anytime day or night (it's their yard).
Whatever scumbag that climbs the fence runs the risk of having become a chew toy.
Scumbag tries to hurt my dogs in their domain runs the risk of becoming a target.
We've got a good Castle Doctrine here so I'm not worried about any legal issues.
Not to mention I've got a good lawyer on speed dial.

Sent via Tapatalk from somewhere in a distant bunker.

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:34 PM

Mess with the dog, get fed to the hogs.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:45 PM

I would defend my dogs same as my family. We have ankle biters.....so if some sicko wanted to get their jollies hurting them....
Old 10-14-2016, 06:57 PM

Without a moments hesitation and with no reservations I'd drop two on the intruder. My current pal is only 16 pounds and has lost most his teeth, so the best he can do is call for me. Previously I breed and trained Dobermans so if someone wanted to climb my fence they were more then welcome. The only issue then, was who was going to clean up the mess the next morning
Old 10-14-2016, 08:05 PM

I had to reign my beast in.

Some of the smaller kids around the neighborhood were starting to go missing.
So we keep a closer eye on him now. Seven and a half pounds of sheer terror. He is even on the No fly list.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01891.JPG  
Old 10-14-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
So we keep a closer eye on him now. Seven and a half pounds of sheer terror. He is even on the No fly list.
My sister has a coupla' Yorkie's by her side/at her feet/ in her arms 24/7.

She also packs a .38 snubby.

Mess with the ankle biters and you'll get the lead biter.

In my casa, my Aussie Shepard is my first line of defense aka alarm.

Nothing and no one gets close to the house without her alerting me.

Her bark tells the perspective bad guy/guys to leave.

If they get in somehow it'd be like her locking the door.

"Now you's can't leave."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_lijLYuw-o

Have mercy.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:33 PM

Got one just like him USMM. She won't take crap from anyone and has probably saved me 1,000 rounds of ammo by scaring the hell out of anyone that approaches the house. God help ya' if you get into the yard!

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-14-2016, 09:27 PM

I had this discussion a while back with my wife, around the time there were an excessive amount of reports on police prematurely shooting pets. I try to approach these situations from both sides. I have a 20lb Boston Terrier, that under no circumstance could be perceived as a threat to any one old enough to walk. He's my first dog, and I never could have imagined that I would regard an animals life as highly as a person. If any one intentionally but my dogs life in harms way, I would protect him with everything I've got.

If you have a big dog, that could do some damage (and take some too) and you find a stranger and your dog fighting in your back yard, I think you should give the stranger a chance to surrender and explain himself. Could be neighborhood kids, taking a short cut through your back yard and unexpectedly ran into your protective dog and is fighting for his life. But maybe not and he's coming for your family next. I'd need to know the motive before taking action against a person fighting a big, potentially dangerous dog.

If police come in your house and your dog gets aggressive, unfortunately the officer will have to protect himself, but it's hard to justify self defense against a tiny dog...
Old 10-14-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79JMP View Post

"Now you's can't leave."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_lijLYuw-o

Have mercy.
This sums it up perfectly
Old 10-15-2016, 06:57 AM

Thank you my brothers....for confirming how I would react as well.....
On another forum whose name I shall not mention...but the initials are "THR"
this very same topics was posted...not by me...but I responded the same as all...however the moderator there ..went off on a legal spiel...stating we are all criminals for our actions... that dogs...are property..and one can not defend property with deadly force.....my response...was that when a stranger makes the effort to intrude on my property..and attacks my animals...his next action could be an attack on me.....and in the following exchange with the moderator...I was banned from that forum for inciting violent criminal action in the protection of a mere dog......like all of you my dog is family...I will suffer the legal actions for protecting my family..if the choice comes to that.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:34 AM

Hurt my Boxer and you will get hurt!
Old 10-16-2016, 11:00 PM

I'm sorry, but if you're not on your own property or don't have permission to be on property and you get bit?

Well, you makes your plays and you pays the band.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:53 AM

I pray I don't catch someone attempting to hurt my fuzzy buddy ....
Old 10-23-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
The Horror!
Old 10-24-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911MILSPEC2015 View Post
Thank you my brothers....for confirming how I would react as well.....
On another forum whose name I shall not mention...but the initials are "THR"
this very same topics was posted...not by me...but I responded the same as all...however the moderator there ..went off on a legal spiel...stating we are all criminals for our actions... that dogs...are property..and one can not defend property with deadly force....
meh, wives are property too, but I appreciate the legal acumen of the THR pansies.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:59 PM

Ok so now that we've all expressed our love and affection for our dogs and what we would be inclined to do does anyone care to actually research the legality of all these opinions to see if you'd be within your right to use deadly force on him?
In Florida the use of deadly force is justified if I fear great bodily harm or death for me or someone near me as if I witness it going down. But I don't think that transfers over to animals.

Any legal experts care to give us the truth and legalities involved in this scenario?
COTEP#782