What Is Your Go To Survival Food? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 09-14-2016, 01:00 PM

We store lots of canned goods, meats,vegetables and fruit. Also lots of dog and cat food. At the end of hurricane season we go through everything and look at expiration dates. Those getting close to expiration we usually donate to the local food bank.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
For me Carbs are least important, they are empty calories.
Please explain this. I've never heard that carbohydrates, as a group, have empty calories. I mean, for example, oats are 68% carbs yet are loaded with protein & other nutrients. My rice and beans are high in carbs but together provide complete protein.

Seems most of my stored food is high in carbs. But they at the same time provide complete nutrition and store much longer than the fats. I do store Spam for the fats plus have chickens & catfish. I also have seed to grow oilseed pumpkins and sunflowers.

Only empty calories I've heard of are those from added sugar and fat to fast food & soda, so kinda confused on your comments.

Last edited by Redneck Jim; 09-14-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundawg1 View Post
We store lots of canned goods, meats,vegetables and fruit. Also lots of dog and cat food. At the end of hurricane season we go through everything and look at expiration dates. Those getting close to expiration we usually donate to the local food bank.
This is where working in a grocery store as a lad, stocking shelves and rotating stock lends itself to being a life skill.

Once we had our pantry stocked, we buy new as we use old, and rotate the stock.

We very seldom have anything go out of date, and the pantry stays stocked.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:26 PM

The only thing that I have ever had go bad on me.

Is I noticed recently that some cans of Tomato sauce that I put back about seven or eight years ago are starting to bulge. Bad JuJu there. They will be going to the rifle range in the back pasture at some point. A twenty four once can of Tomato paste with a high velocity bullet through it should be interesting.

But I have heard before that Canned Tomato products can be problematic due to the high acid content.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Is I noticed recently that some cans of Tomato sauce that I put back about seven or eight years ago are starting to bulge. Bad JuJu there. They will be going to the rifle range in the back pasture at some point. A twenty four once can of Tomato paste with a high velocity bullet through it should be interesting.

But I have heard before that Canned Tomato products can be problematic due to the high acid content.
Botulism is common with canned tomato products that go bad.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:26 PM

We store what we eat. My wife has a large garden and cans all summer. I go to the western slope of Colorado at least once every couple years and bring home a pickup load of fruit. It gets canned and dried.

We eat from older dated jars from the cellar but don't always keep up so our stored amount increases every year. Sometimes we end up with fruit or tomatoes over ten years old. In glass jars it is as good as the day it was put up.

I also store wheat (HRW) for flour etc. I grow 80 acres of wheat about every three years so rotate out any unused portion each new crop. Jim, you could store wheat cheaper but sounds like it isn't worth the inconvenience. Socks wheat may have some weed seed and grasshopper legs but you could buy cleaned seed wheat from a farmer that would be same quality as what you are buying. Mylar is great insurance but I think a good sealing 5 gal bucket is working good for me. Sometimes I throw a hand warmer in to remove oxygen. As long as wheat goes in to storage below 13% moisture it's good to go for a long time.

Here's my opinion on carbohydrates and "empty calories". Worrying about such things while living a sedatary lifestyle makes sense. If the SHTF and we end up hoeing corn by hand or walking/running 20 miles a day checking your property perimeter or whatever you aren't going to care. Anything with calories will be gold in the short term.

Enjoying everyone's input. Keep it coming.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:39 AM

Peanut butter
Old 09-16-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 557 View Post
We store what we eat. My wife has a large garden and cans all summer. I go to the western slope of Colorado at least once every couple years and bring home a pickup load of fruit. It gets canned and dried.

We eat from older dated jars from the cellar but don't always keep up so our stored amount increases every year. Sometimes we end up with fruit or tomatoes over ten years old. In glass jars it is as good as the day it was put up.
We normally can stuff from the garden plus my wife cans her jams & jellies from the berry patches, blackberry & blueberry, along with our peaches. I normally am the one canning my applesauce. This year, for the first time, I canned peaches also. In the past we have always frozen them but last winter that freezer died without us noticing, ruining lots of food. This year I decided to can even more, including the peaches, and danged if they don't taste great. Thought they would be inferior to frozen & taste like the mush you get from the store, but I was wrong. No more freezing for me as they are incredible canned. I do have a pallet of quart ball canning jars in my upper barn for next year.

Quote:
I also store wheat (HRW) for flour etc. I grow 80 acres of wheat about every three years so rotate out any unused portion each new crop. Jim, you could store wheat cheaper but sounds like it isn't worth the inconvenience. Socks wheat may have some weed seed and grasshopper legs but you could buy cleaned seed wheat from a farmer that would be same quality as what you are buying. Mylar is great insurance but I think a good sealing 5 gal bucket is working good for me. Sometimes I throw a hand warmer in to remove oxygen. As long as wheat goes in to storage below 13% moisture it's good to go for a long time.
Agree the mylar is not critical for the wheat storage. From what I understand, the wheat Augason Farms sells in super pails does not have mylar... just the oxygen absorbers. I get that from Sam's Club with free freight.

Last edited by Redneck Jim; 09-16-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
Peanut butter
An excellent choice, as it is relatively high in fat & calories, plus a decent amount of protein. I still love my PB&J sandwich... heavy on the J.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:23 AM

How long will peanut butter keep before going rancid? Never thought about it as a prep but would be perfect nutrition wise. I'm partial to pb and honey sandwiches.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:39 AM

Don't know about shelf life of PB but nuts, water, trail mix PB will get you through a disaster.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
How long will peanut butter keep before going rancid? Never thought about it as a prep but would be perfect nutrition wise. I'm partial to pb and honey sandwiches.
It is a great prep item for the relatively short term. My understanding is shelf life is only around a year and I would think that is because of the high fat content. Fats normally don't store well. So not something you can put into long term storage but is perfect if normally eaten and can be rotated. In that case, one keeps say a 6 month supply and just ensures they eat the oldest first. I have read of powdered peanut butter that can store for 10 years if not opened.

I personally store Spam to fill this category of a survival food with lots of fat, and one that is filling. Spam basically has an unlimited shelf life if not abused.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:29 PM

We eat peanut butter on a regular basis so rotation of the stock is not an issue.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:57 PM

Very interesting topic - and I actually like spam, so I might have to go get myself a couple of cases to start with.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 09-16-2016, 06:52 PM

Haks barbeque sauce. I could eat anything if it had Haks smoked maple & mustard BBQ sauce on it.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:03 PM

I likely have a couple of jars of peanut butter in the shop.

That have been there for at least a couple of years. If I remember to do so, Tomorrow I will go and dig one out and check it.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
That have been there for at least a couple of years. If I remember to do so, Tomorrow I will go and dig one out and check it.
Tragically, USMM guy did exactly what he said he was going to do. He dug out an old jar of peanut butter and ate it, but it had gone bad, and he died...which is why he hasn't posted in this thread since 9-16-16. Poor USMM!

Old 01-01-2017, 07:58 PM

Actually I did dig one of those jars out a couple of years out of date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
Tragically, USMM guy did exactly what he said he was going to do. He dug out an old jar of peanut butter and ate it, but it had gone bad, and he died...which is why he hasn't posted in this thread since 9-16-16. Poor USMM!

It was still good. Some of it is still left in the refrigerator. I do not eat a lot of it. I am sure that stuff has a lot of preservatives in it.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:04 PM

Coffee... without it nothing else it worth having.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:07 PM

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiede44 View Post
Coffee... without it nothing else it worth having.
I keep coffee and tea. I keep a lot of Tea as it is cheap, Honey also. Tea is about as easy as it gets to prepare. Add honey and it is awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01993.JPG  
Old 01-01-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock View Post
Quite the profit margin they're running.

If you want to change to HRWW I've got 300,000 lbs I'll excitedly sell you for 12 cents a lb. Not near as good for bread and such, but still. Current price on local market is 3.10 per bushel.

White wheat isn't sold on my local market but I'd guess it's currently running near or under $4 per bushel. Sixty pound bushels.
So what would you charge, per pound, packaged and shipped as described????
Old 01-02-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Actually, high acid (low pH) products lent themselves better to storage and canning, and retard the growth of botulinum and other bacteria.

Thats why either salts or vinegar, or both, are used heavily in canning, pickling, fermenting, and curing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 01-02-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Jim View Post
I normally buy superpails of the wheat at Sam's Club online as they have real good pricing and free freight. I bough 4 more pails yesterday from Walmart online, as they had 38 lb pails for $31.55 and free freight if you spend $50. Hard to beat all those calories, nutrition & long term storage for less than $1 per lb.
I bought rice, beans and spam yesterday evening - mostly due to this thread - and started checking prices online for white wheat berries in pails today.

As much as I dislike Target, they have 40-lb pails of the "Augason Farms Emergency Food Hard White Wheat" for $24.99 ($4 shipping), so I've ordered one. Next up is to find a semi-decent hand-cranked mill - small steps

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 01-02-2017, 01:26 PM

I have a bunch of caned food, like soups and chili. I also have some cheap rice in buckets, and some expensive rice in a bucket. I have beer, like stout and IPA. I make it at home, so it's good for a long time and safe to drink.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:41 PM

Whisky.