What Is Your Go To Survival Food? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 AM

What Is Your Go To Survival Food?

I prep mainly for the long term event so I have little prepared survival food, the expensive stuff you add water & heat, but mainly store the staples... rice, beans, hard white wheat, dehydrated potato slices, rolled oats, powdered milk, sugar, spices, etc. I also stock cases of Spam to have some salty, fatty meat around to balance my diet.

Curious what your go to food is? What do you store the most of and why? My number two stores are rice and beans. I classify them together for several reasons. First my daddy was raised with the Cajuns and I grew up eating red beans & rice weekly and I love them. Together, rice and beans provide complete protein, besides other nutritional benefits including fiber. They also store very well in super pails for 20+ years.

For me, my go to food store, what I keep the most of, is hard white wheat berries. As much as I love my rice and beans, I would just prefer to not eat that 3 meals a day. With wheat flour, I can gladly eat that all day long, as I love my pancakes, biscuits, bread, cookies, cakes, etc. etc. Plus whole wheat has lots of calories & is loaded with nutrition. It has all the essential amino acids except for lysine, which just so happens to be in beans. I normally buy superpails of the wheat at Sam's Club online as they have real good pricing and free freight. I bough 4 more pails yesterday from Walmart online, as they had 38 lb pails for $31.55 and free freight if you spend $50. Hard to beat all those calories, nutrition & long term storage for less than $1 per lb.

Where flour has a rather short shelf life, the wheat berries can store for 20+ years. Plus fresh ground flour is much more nutritious than the flour already in the sack. To make your own flour, all you need is a grain mill. Being a prepper, I suggest a hand cranked one. Such a mill can also be used to grind other product, such as dried corn to make corn meal. I have the Grainmaker mill which is made in the US and built like a tank.

Last edited by Redneck Jim; 09-13-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Quite the profit margin they're running.

If you want to change to HRWW I've got 300,000 lbs I'll excitedly sell you for 12 cents a lb. Not near as good for bread and such, but still. Current price on local market is 3.10 per bushel.

White wheat isn't sold on my local market but I'd guess it's currently running near or under $4 per bushel. Sixty pound bushels.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Some of what I currently stock.

Rice, Beans, Pasta, Canned meat, hams etc. I also have canned soups, Peanut butter, Pilot bread, Powdered milk, Honey, Tea, Canned fruit, Cereal, Tuna, Fruit juice, etc.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:20 AM

Tuna, sardines, freeze dried beans, vegetables, corn. Fresh vegetables, oranges, limes, lemons, grapes, bananahs, honey, fish, rabbits, squirrels, etc. Canned meats, stews, bacon, seasonings, etc. Coconut fat, multiple water sources, etc.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock View Post
Quite the profit margin they're running.

If you want to change to HRWW I've got 300,000 lbs I'll excitedly sell you for 12 cents a lb. Not near as good for bread and such, but still. Current price on local market is 3.10 per bushel.

White wheat isn't sold on my local market but I'd guess it's currently running near or under $4 per bushel. Sixty pound bushels.
Well, I can't store 300,000 lb but thanks anyway. Also keep in mind with what I mention, you are not purchasing bulk grain but wheat berries packaged in food grade plastic bucket with a sealed lid & gasket. It is also sealed inside a mylar bag with oxygen absorber placed inside. It also includes free freight.

I live in a capitalist country & have no problem with folks making a profit. I just don't think their margin is as great as you insinuate as you are not comparing apples to apples. Kinda like saying my apple I grow is cheaper than the apple pie you made.

Last edited by Redneck Jim; 09-13-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Rice, Beans, Pasta, Canned meat, hams etc. I also have canned soups, Peanut butter, Pilot bread, Powdered milk, Honey, Tea, Canned fruit, Cereal, Tuna, Fruit juice, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
Tuna, sardines, freeze dried beans, vegetables, corn. Fresh vegetables, oranges, limes, lemons, grapes, bananahs, honey, fish, rabbits, squirrels, etc. Canned meats, stews, bacon, seasonings, etc. Coconut fat, multiple water sources, etc.

But which is most important, what do you stock the most of, and why?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Jim View Post
Well, I can't store 300,000 lb but thanks anyway. Also keep in mind with what I mention, you are not purchasing bulk grain but wheat berries packaged in food grade plastic bucket with a sealed lid & gasket. It is also sealed inside a mylar bag with oxygen absorber placed inside. It also includes free freight.

I live in a capitalist country & have no problem with folks making a profit. I just don't think their margin is as great as you insinuate as you are not comparing apples to apples. Kinda like saying my apple I grow is cheaper than the apple pie you made.
Then compare to the cost of flour. More or less the same handling to get it on the shelf. Plastic is cheap, milling a little less so. They make money on it, too.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock View Post
Then compare to the cost of flour. More or less the same handling to get it on the shelf. Plastic is cheap, milling a little less so. They make money on it, too.
If you think it too expensive, then don't buy it. I think a 6 gallon pail with gasket & lid, along with mylar bag with oxygen absorber cost considerably more than a paper bag that holds flour. I buy my own pails & accessories for when I put up bulk rice & beans, and a pail with gamma lid, mylar bag & oxygen absorber cost $15... a think a bit more than a paper bag. Once used, that 6 gal pail has many uses for a prepper. A paper bag, not so. Flour has a short shelf life and not considered for long term food stores. Not only does it not store for long but once ground, immediately starts losing its nutrition.

Flour in the store is gonna cost .40 to .50 per lb. So in my book, if I can get basically the same product in a form that will maintain its nutrition and store for 20+ years, plus be delivered to me for free, .83 per lb is a good price. If someone thinks it too expensive and have a better solution that meets my requirements of nutrition & storage, I'm all ears.

Last edited by Redneck Jim; 09-13-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:33 AM

I try to keep a good balance.

Quote:
But I would think that likely my top two items would be Pasta which is basically a form of grain and canned meat in different forms. With rice another grain up there also. I am thinking in terms of calories and fat. My wife and I are prepared to bolster our food supplies with plenty of home grown fruit and vegetables. We have been doing this for years. I think that keeping fat and carbs in the diet is going to be more difficult, thus the meat and grain based products. Some items are just comfort items. If things are really bad, then a cup of hot tea with honey is really going to be nice. Especially on a cold winter night. I even keep a bunch of hard candy on hand for the same reason. Small comforts when things are down can go a long ways towards keeping a good attitude.

But then again. Sometimes I will pick things up just because the price is right, food items that is. Just the other day I was at the local Dollar tree checking for bargains which I do periodically. Well they had 20 oz. cans of Dinty Moore beef stew for a dollar a can. Now this is something that I would never consider eating in normal circumstances. But the calorie count was high and the best buy date was pretty far out there. So I got a case for twelve bucks. If things get bad, I will likely be glad to have it.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
But I would think that likely my top two items would be Pasta which is basically a form of grain and canned meat in different forms.
I too store pasta. I buy the bulk packs of spaghetti at Sam's & can get I think 35 lbs in one of my pails. I use spaghetti because it is not a hollow pasta & thus I can get more lbs of it in a pail. Since I will always have tomatoes, basil & other goodies from the garden, pasta is a natural. Since it is dried, it also stores for a real long time.

The reason why wheat berries tops pasta, at least for me, is that wheat is more versatile. I think some preppers don't consider breakfast and only think of dinner. Of course any food will keep you alive but I too look for a balance... thus why I also store rolled oats for breakfast.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:22 PM

A quick note about canned fruits...

We had some in a couple of "go bags" years ago, along with many other necessities and foodstuff. I opened those bags a couple years ago to rotate out some ammo that was in them, and all of our canned fruits (factory cans) were "empty". Apparently, the juices had degraded the cans from the inside enough to leak out, leaving the fruit to mold and eventually totally dry up into a small black mass. This was every can, of several fruit types.

Of course, they had been in the bags for 7-10 years maybe, but still...And, they were stored in our house, climate controlled.

Bottom line, just beware of age and rotate periodically what you have. We pulled some canned meats out of the same bags and ate them over a period of months. While the expiration dates were long past, there was no spoil or flavor problems with them. Just the fruits.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinTXAggie View Post
We had some in a couple of "go bags" years ago, along with many other necessities and foodstuff. I opened those bags a couple years ago to rotate out some ammo that was in them, and all of our canned fruits (factory cans) were "empty". Apparently, the juices had degraded the cans from the inside enough to leak out, leaving the fruit to mold and eventually totally dry up into a small black mass. This was every can, of several fruit types.

Of course, they had been in the bags for 7-10 years maybe, but still...And, they were stored in our house, climate controlled.

Bottom line, just beware of age and rotate periodically what you have. We pulled some canned meats out of the same bags and ate them over a period of months. While the expiration dates were long past, there was no spoil or flavor problems with them. Just the fruits.
I imagine the issue was the acid content of the fruit slowly attacking the metal. The only canned product I trust for long term storage is Spam. I would think dried fruit might be a better choice for a go bag, as you would get the same nutrition but would be much lighter & I imagine would last longer than cans.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:15 PM

Some of the other items that I keep.

Canned cheese and canned butter, as well as Ghee. Ghee is clarified butter. And it keeps about forever, very high in fat calories and can be used just like regular butter for cooking etc. I also keep sardines. They are very high in nutritious value and also keep about forever.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:22 PM

Yes breakfast is certainly important.

Quote:
I too store pasta. I buy the bulk packs of spaghetti at Sam's & can get I think 35 lbs in one of my pails. I use spaghetti because it is not a hollow pasta & thus I can get more lbs of it in a pail. Since I will always have tomatoes, basil & other goodies from the garden, pasta is a natural. Since it is dried, it also stores for a real long time.

The reason why wheat berries tops pasta, at least for me, is that wheat is more versatile. I think some preppers don't consider breakfast and only think of dinner. Of course any food will keep you alive but I too look for a balance... thus why I also store rolled oats for breakfast.
I buy fifty lb. lots of a Granola type cereal from a local Mennonite woman that makes it. It stores well in half gallon Ball jars with a couple of dessicant packs.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Some items are just comfort items. If things are really bad, then a cup of hot tea with honey is really going to be nice. Especially on a cold winter night. I even keep a bunch of hard candy on hand for the same reason. Small comforts when things are down can go a long ways towards keeping a good attitude.
So true. I don't store honey but do store sugar. I bought two top bar hives this year & plan on getting my bees next spring. My neighbor keeps bees, so worst case situation I could split one of his hives. I have a bit of Pu-erh tea cakes that should be good for pretty long term storage. I haven't tried it yet but plan on doing so soon. Decided to purchase a few tea plants this year & hope I can find a variety that will grow well here.

Once again, wheat berries can become cookies & cakes rather quick. They go real well with a nice, hot cup of tea.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:46 PM

Sugar will certainly do a lot of things.

But raw Honey, I think may be a bit better to have. It has certain trace nutrients in it that Sugar does not have. It is my understanding that it will actually boost your natural immune system and even has antibiotic properties when used as a wound dressing.

They actually found jars of Raw Honey in The Egyptian King Tutankhamen's tomb. After two thousand years it was still good.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:58 PM

'course they also found wheat in those tombs and got some of it to sprout. No plastic container needed. =p
Old 09-13-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Curious what your go to food is?
Twinkies...
Old 09-13-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
Twinkies...
Has anyone ever seen a bad Twinkie? I think they found a good one in those Egyptian tombs .
Old 09-13-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
But raw Honey, I think may be a bit better to have. It has certain trace nutrients in it that Sugar does not have. It is my understanding that it will actually boost your natural immune system and even has antibiotic properties when used as a wound dressing.
Yep, I think honey is better & considered one of those 60 lb buckets of honey from emergency essentials. Since I'm gonna be producing my own next year, I decided against it.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:37 PM

Speaking of Twinkies...

As a kid, growing up very poor, we shot, raised or grew nearly everything we ate (except sugar/salt etc.). We fed our hogs a mixture of slop (wheat shorts) and sweets. We had an arrangement at a local "day old bakery" that we could come every week and get a literal stakebed pickup truck full of sweets/pastries/donuts, etc. that had gotten old and was being thrown out. Now, this is gotten old after it had been in the "day old" shop for a week or more... so pretty old. A lot of it was black with mold, etc. It had been piled out back for several days, smashed together, etc. by the time we picked it up every week. We would shovel it in the stakebed with grain shovels, piled high above the cab, and feed it out of the bed to the hogs.

Needless to say, many hours were spent by us kids sorting through this plethora of pastries for the choicest morsels. We would eat our fill, then smuggle all we could to school and share. Although we didn't have a pot to piss in, we were the most popular kids around for sharing our windfall.

We never thought a thing about it, as back then we didn't know we were poor. Never thought to wonder about the rats and other vermin that might have sorted through it before us, or how it might be spoiled or otherwise contaminated. We never got sick that I remember.

And, no, I never ran across a spoiled Twinkie...
Old 09-13-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Has anyone ever seen a bad Twinkie? I think they found a good one in those Egyptian tombs .
Little known fact...the "nectar of the gods" mentioned in Greek mythology: Twinkies. In all actuality Twinkies have a really short shelf life...they just get devoured fast enough that nobody has ever seen a bad one.

Large amounts of honey is a great idea. Good luck with the bees.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 AM

If you are staying in place, then storing up on no perishables is a good idea. I have some survival food that I bought from the NRA as starter stuff and then will store as much non perishable stuff as I can.

Having go through a few hurricanes, the most important stuff is water, batteries, paper goods, tooth paste, etc. Get as much as you can and put it in a 55 plastic trash can with a lid that can be sealed. Buy a good water purifier as well as it will come in handy. Another good thing to have to use on a periodic basis is a generator that you can hook up into a crossover switch, or even a Generac, oh yes solar cells are another good item to store for emergency use later.

If you are going cross country, you'll probably have bug out bag with enough ready made food to last as long as a week or so. Then living off the land is the order of the day.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra 49er View Post
Having go through a few hurricanes, the most important stuff is water, batteries, paper goods, tooth paste, etc. Get as much as you can and put it in a 55 plastic trash can with a lid that can be sealed. Buy a good water purifier as well as it will come in handy. Another good thing to have to use on a periodic basis is a generator that you can hook up into a crossover switch, or even a Generac, oh yes solar cells are another good item to store for emergency use later.
So true & good ideas.

I have some full size solar panels for my well pump & solar generator, but I also have a Goal Zero Nomad 20 solar panel. IMO, all should have this or similar as it is small, folds up and comes with attached cords to charge a multitude of devices. I really like Goal Zero products, especially their rechargeable lights & lanterns.

Their Torch 250 is super cool. Can be used as a flashlight, floodlight or red emergency light. Depending on power setting, can run for 7 - 48 hours. It comes with a built in USB cable so that it can charge other devices, such as you cell phone. It can be charged by a hand crank, the built in solar cell or by USB... such as from the above solar panel. That panel will recharge must faster than the other methods. I have several of these & am a big fan.

Last edited by Redneck Jim; 09-14-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
For me Carbs are least important, they are empty calories. If I want calories only then I raise bees for honey. Stable fats and proteins are more important. As are fruits and vegetables when fresh. I also have vitamin C, Lysine and a few other necessary vitamins. I do store some grains but not as a basis or as most of my program. I also store grains as Grain Alcohol. Good for medical, antiseptic and party issues.