Survival Food... Spam - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 10-25-2016, 12:37 AM

Spam is a close relative to the Pittsburgh favorite of "chipped ham" which is made from pressed chopped ham and sliced so thin that it is nearly transparent. For some reason, probably related to some FDA ruling, "chipped ham" has become known as "chipped chopped ham."
Old 10-25-2016, 02:38 PM

I grew up in the 'Burgh and had many a chipped ham sandwich in my lunch box.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
I just bought a case of 100 single serving packs. A square about the size of a Wendy's burger. 10 for $2.50
OK, To keep from losing my mind, I had to go back and check my math, which was wrong.

Normal price - Dollar General $1.00 (Oddly enough)
On sale for $.79
Got 4 trays of 12 (Not sure where I got 100) at half price off for $18.96 for 48. So about 40 cents a piece, still a pretty good deal.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
OK, To keep from losing my mind, I had to go back and check my math, which was wrong.

Normal price - Dollar General $1.00 (Oddly enough)
On sale for $.79
Got 4 trays of 12 (Not sure where I got 100) at half price off for $18.96 for 48. So about 40 cents a piece, still a pretty good deal.
OK, so now I am on this spam and eggs kick. I bought 10 more packs but had to pay full price of a buck a piece.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:34 PM

You want someone who knows Spam? I was born and raised in Spamtown, otherwise knowns as Austin Minnesota. Home of George Hormel. Where old George had his little sausage cart and started the Hormel empire. Home of Spamdays and the Spam Museum!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:54 PM

Also, for the record, Spam stands for spiced ham
Old 12-30-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticool View Post
The BPA's only add to the flavor of Spam.
I literally laughed out loud when I got to this!

I just ordered another case of MRE's this morning (the epicenter.com has got to stop sending me emails), but I think I'm going to pick up some spam from the store today. I've never had it...don't everyone dog pile at once.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
I literally laughed out loud when I got to this!

I just ordered another case of MRE's this morning (the epicenter.com has got to stop sending me emails), but I think I'm going to pick up some spam from the store today. I've never had it...don't everyone dog pile at once.
You're not missing much... while well preserved and shelf stable, if you try to live on it, the sodium levels are borderline toxic. Even used as a primary protein, 3x 100g servings a day would be 80% too much salt... and still fall 25% short of the protein you need.

I suppose its a good supplement, and good for short term emergencies and long term storage... but well fermented and cured dry salami, vaccum packed, is healthier, tastes better, and lasts for many years. Thrown in a freezer, decades.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 12-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
OK, so now I am on this spam and eggs kick. I bought 10 more packs but had to pay full price of a buck a piece.
Why don't you simply buy it by the can instead of the single serve packs? The can is going to last longer in storage and is MUCH cheaper. A can of SPAM usually runs around $2.50 each. At 2.5-3 oz per single serve pack (varies by variety) that's almost twice the cost of a 12oz can.

In shtf use a 12oz can along with some rice/potatoes/beans/etc makes a handy meal for two people.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
You're not missing much... while well preserved and shelf stable, if you try to live on it, the sodium levels are borderline toxic. Even used as a primary protein, 3x 100g servings a day would be 80% too much salt... and still fall 25% short of the protein you need.

I suppose its a good supplement, and good for short term emergencies and long term storage... but well fermented and cured dry salami, vaccum packed, is healthier, tastes better, and lasts for many years. Thrown in a freezer, decades.
They offer a low sodium version if a person is worried about that.

Agreed the sodium is bad for a sitting on your butt coach potato but for an active person or during a high level of exertion shtf situation the salt will be needed to replace what you are sweating out.

I wouldn't suggest trying to subsist solely on SPAM but mixing the meals up between it and other canned meats (beef, chicken, etc) will provide adequate nutrition.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:08 PM

I used to live in Alaksa. When you have walked for miles and come back to your tent camp, this stuff taste like a gourmet meal!

Magic stuff!

Yes we keep a couple spare cans in the panty
Old 12-30-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
They offer a low sodium version if a person is worried about that.

Agreed the sodium is bad for a sitting on your butt coach potato but for an active person or during a high level of exertion shtf situation the salt will be needed to replace what you are sweating out.

I wouldn't suggest trying to subsist solely on SPAM but mixing the meals up between it and other canned meats (beef, chicken, etc) will provide adequate nutrition.
The sodium is bad for a moderately active lifestyle, its dangerous to a static life. If its a 'high level of exertion, SHTF' environment, you're on the move, not static. Carrying cannd goods just increases your exertion... other, or any, canned meat is heavy to carry, and loaded with sodium. Realistically, you're not going to be able to carry more than about a weeks worth of full calorie, balanced food with you...

If you're static, with access to a large stash of stored food, you're activity level is probably only in the moderate range. While you may be active longer each day, the exertion is probably comperable to riding a desk 8 hours a day, and getting an hour or so of solid PT.

Salt is one of those weird things, necessary to life, but toxic in excess. So are the nitrates and nitrites used in preserving meat- they kill botulinum and other toxins, and are safe in very small quantities. Eat 8oz of Prague #2, and it'll kill you... its enough mix to cure 200 pounds of meat, and only about 8% nitrites and nitrates.

Trying to live on preserved foods will only take you so far...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 12-30-2016, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
The sodium is bad for a moderately active lifestyle, its dangerous to a static life. If its a 'high level of exertion, SHTF' environment, you're on the move, not static. Carrying cannd goods just increases your exertion... other, or any, canned meat is heavy to carry, and loaded with sodium. Realistically, you're not going to be able to carry more than about a weeks worth of full calorie, balanced food with you...

If you're static, with access to a large stash of stored food, you're activity level is probably only in the moderate range. While you may be active longer each day, the exertion is probably comperable to riding a desk 8 hours a day, and getting an hour or so of solid PT.

Salt is one of those weird things, necessary to life, but toxic in excess. So are the nitrates and nitrites used in preserving meat- they kill botulinum and other toxins, and are safe in very small quantities. Eat 8oz of Prague #2, and it'll kill you... its enough mix to cure 200 pounds of meat, and only about 8% nitrites and nitrates.

Trying to live on preserved foods will only take you so far...
I said high exertion and not that someone was on the move across country.

Clearing flood/storm/tornado damage is all high exertion and likely done in times of high heat/humidity necessitating an increase in the need for salt. Salt is only toxic if it stays in your body and sweat takes care of that buildup naturally.

For the vast majority of people "preserved foods" are the only thing they are going to have. Since by definition non-preserved foods are going to spoil pretty rapidly. Raising animals and crops isn't something people even in small towns are going to be doing on a daily basis prior to any shtf event.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:20 AM

Ok, after talking to my older daughter, who loves the stuff, she said she likes the regular but it's super salty. I have a feeling I'd rather try the low sodium. But my question for you folks has nothing to do with taste; I understand that salt is what helps preserve it. So does low sodium spam have a shorter shelf life than regular?
Old 12-31-2016, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
Ok, after talking to my older daughter, who loves the stuff, she said she likes the regular but it's super salty. I have a feeling I'd rather try the low sodium. But my question for you folks has nothing to do with taste; I understand that salt is what helps preserve it. So does low sodium spam have a shorter shelf life than regular?
As far as I know ALL varieties of SPAM (there are lots of flavors and even turkey) have the same shelf life.

The salty flavor is much reduced if you eat it with a mouthful of rice or beans or bread. Basically anything which is a bit bland so that will average out the salt.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
As far as I know ALL varieties of SPAM (there are lots of flavors and even turkey) have the same shelf life.

The salty flavor is much reduced if you eat it with a mouthful of rice or beans or bread. Basically anything which is a bit bland so that will average out the salt.
Thanks Steve, in that case I'll probably try one of each to see which tastes the best.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:35 AM

I see the wisdom of having spam, in a tough container, that won't smash like a mason jar. I'd think "back in the day" when people had pigs to eat, the pork fat was just as valuable as the pork meat. BUT You don't really want all that spam sitting longer than 5 years, and if you eat it you may not fit through the door. I'd rather have a pressure canner and rotate stock of healthy meats and soups. Have you ever had canned venison? It's delicious and good for you.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesheating View Post
I see the wisdom of having spam, in a tough container, that won't smash like a mason jar. I'd think "back in the day" when people had pigs to eat, the pork fat was just as valuable as the pork meat. BUT You don't really want all that spam sitting longer than 5 years, and if you eat it you may not fit through the door. I'd rather have a pressure canner and rotate stock of healthy meats and soups. Have you ever had canned venison? It's delicious and good for you.
SPAM has a basically unlimited shelf life. Reps from the Company have opened and eaten 25 year old SPAM with no ill effects. They have stated publicly that they only put date codes on the cans because they are required by law and it allows easier rotation of stock.

That being said you do still need to keep an eye on things as I had some cans puff up before they reached the best by date. I think they had a bad batch get out or something. Though another multi-pack of cans with the same date code that didn't puff up were good to go when I ate them. Luckily I had bought them at Sam's Club so I returned the cans to the store and was given replacements.

This was a year or so ago and I had never seen it happen before nor have I had anymore do that since.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Jim View Post
Just got back from Sam's Club & while there shopping for the business, picked up another case of Spam. That case has 27 lbs of Spam in it and at a bit under $96, that works out to $3.55/lb for survival meat that even as Hormel states, has an indefinite shelf life if the can is not damaged.

And I don't mind stating that I love the stuff, especially when browned in a skillet.

You might be a Redneck if . . . . . Oh wait, you are already a redneck. Me too BTW. But you can have my share of Spam or give it to any Hawaiian you encounter. Just can't stand the stuff. I'm kinda finicky anyway. But then I have access to 6,000+ acres north of San Antonio with springs and lots of game. No worries . . . . . except to see if the new administration will be any better than the slugs we've dealt with for most of my 66 years.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-31-2016, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
You might be a Redneck if . . . . . Oh wait, you are already a redneck. Me too BTW. But you can have my share of Spam or give it to any Hawaiian you encounter. Just can't stand the stuff. I'm kinda finicky anyway. But then I have access to 6,000+ acres north of San Antonio with springs and lots of game. No worries . . . . . except to see if the new administration will be any better than the slugs we've dealt with for most of my 66 years.
You might do well to study history a bit. During the depression the game populations in most states were GREATLY diminished due to subsistence hunting and took decades to come back. I guarantee that you will NOT be the only one hunting on that land and that "lots of game" isn't as much as you think it is when it's yours (and others) only source of meat.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:04 PM

Actually if I was looking to supply nutrition needs from wild game.

I would want some Spam anyway. Most of that game meat is pretty lean. And making a stew with wild game with some Spam added in for fat and other things would likely work well.

The Louis and Clark expedition almost starved to death. They did not understand that the game meat that they could easily harvest during the course of their journey did not have enough fat to sustain them. Fortunately some of the indigenous North Americans that they encountered knew otherwise, and were generous enough to supply enough additional sustenance to the expedition to see them through. This largely in the high fat content Pemmican which has been the subject of at least one thread here in this sub forum.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:18 PM

WIDE variety of Spam flavors stateside in Indian Country. You've fired up my taste buds....off to the supermarket to get some. Best is fried then topped with molasses.
Colt M45A1 .45 ACP, Colt Defender 9mm
Colt Mustang .380
Old 01-01-2017, 12:57 AM

I can't get past that disgusting goo it's packed in, yuk!
Old 01-01-2017, 01:11 AM

Same stuff they make Jello out of....
Colt M45A1 .45 ACP, Colt Defender 9mm
Colt Mustang .380
Old 01-01-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Jim View Post
Just got back from Sam's Club & while there shopping for the business, picked up another case of Spam. That case has 27 lbs of Spam in it and at a bit under $96, that works out to $3.55/lb for survival meat that even as Hormel states, has an indefinite shelf life if the can is not damaged.

Sure I plan on hunting & will raise meat animals on the farm eventually, but I think Spam is a great choice for long term food storage. It is a perfect accoutrement for all the beans & rice I have in storage pails. For all the reasons health experts today would say to stay away from it, the high salt & fat content, makes it a perfect survival food. The salt helps in preservation and will be needed in a crisis and the fat is very high in calories (energy).

And I don't mind stating that I love the stuff, especially when browned in a skillet.

Man, forget the "I plan on hunting" BS...just state the pure and simple FACT that having 27 POUNDS of Spam on hand to quell the growling in your belly is a GREAT thing!

Let the LIBTARDS debate about whether Spam is "good for you"...they're libtards after all....it's what they do. When the world ends you not only won't have to "explain" yourself, there won't even be an internet forum on which you can explain your love of Spam....

You should buy more...forget the justification or rationalization....just buy it and realize it's a better play than hoping you'll have fresh produce and freshly butchered meats after the apocolypse!