Survival Food... Spam - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 06-18-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork1911A1 View Post
Wife was making a grocery list while I was perusing the forum & catching up on this thread.
Bought a few cans of Spam along with the listed items.

Breakfast tomorrow will be:
Eggs over medium,
Sliced Spam, browned in the skillet with a little bacon grease,
Homemade sausage gravy & biscuits (frozen Pillsbury ones),
Skillet fried red taters w/onions,
Coffee & milk.

I may need Roto-Rooter to clean my arteries but my stomach & taste buds will be well satisfied.
If I ate all that, I'd wouldn't get a single chore done. I'd be worthless the rest of the day. But dang, that does sound good!
Old 06-18-2016, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Dang. Had a little Spam, eggs, and fried potatoes tonight. Can't help it. I don't care much for the taste or texture of Spam and still prefer the taste and texture of Treet, regardless what's in it. I just wonder if it will store as well and as long.

Might still stock some Spam for trade material.
You prefer the potted meat like mush texture of Treat to the much more solid texture of Spam? To each their own I guess.

I don't believe Treat has the almost indefinite shelf life that Spam does.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Jim View Post
If I ate all that, I'd wouldn't get a single chore done. I'd be worthless the rest of the day. But dang, that does sound good!
It was very tasty....and filling (obviously).
I did manage to mow the lawn, make some repairs to my fence & trash removal from my shop.
Not really a full day of work but just keeping busy.

Sent via Tapatalk from somewhere in a distant bunker.

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
You prefer the potted meat like mush texture of Treat to the much more solid texture of Spam? To each their own I guess.

I don't believe Treat has the almost indefinite shelf life that Spam does.
Ah well. The wife doesn't like Kimchee either, but I do.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 06-19-2016, 03:12 PM

love spam, i keep it on hand at all times both as a survival food and just because me and the kids love to eat it.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:41 AM

Yep good stuff with beans or rice!!
Old 06-22-2016, 11:41 AM

Interestingly enough, I find that I like the SPAM in the individual, foil (Mylar?) packets. For some reason the canned seems to have enough of a different texture and flavor when fried up the same. It may just be a quirk in me, but it's noticeable enough.

I wonder if the packets will hold up for an extended number of years? Granted, they are more expensive that way, but I imagine there is a source somewhere to make bulk purchases of same and save some. Perhaps use Jim's Super Bucket approach to long term storing the individual packets.

The packets do have the advantage of not having to use up a full can when only a slice or two is what you need. Kind of a make your own MREs. A few single pouches of SPAM, some MRE crackers, and a few candies or Solider Bar types in your bag takes little space and provides several meals while on the move, out scouting, or if it's your turn on the OP.

I'm also finding the packets just handy to have in the pantry. Instead of not eating any rather than being stuck with a whole can, or eating too much for the same reason, I can fry up a slice as the mood strikes me and in just a few minutes have a nice little sammich. I can add a slice of cheese, a fried egg, or whatever, and move on with a decent serving and not too much or having to fridge the rest and use it up soon.

Now to find out the real storage life of the packets. If they have an almost indefinite shelf life as opposed to indefinite, then they probably would work well for our situation and last longer than I probably will. I'd also actually rotate that stock. For me it would be worth a little more cost if I could buy in bulk at a wee bit of savings.

Just had this odd thought of using single packets of SPAM as a trade item in a total situation. Maybe for some food variety, maybe for some other small, but much appreciated and needed items.

SPAM! The post NWO currency!

Old 06-23-2016, 08:11 AM

About 10 years after I left the Army I happened to chop up some spam and cook it with eggs and realized it smelled and tasted EXACTLY like the old B1 unit, "Ham and Eggs, chopped." That was a premium in Army C-rations, especially if one had the ability to heat it, and maybe add some cheese from a B3 unit!

To this day I still eat Spam...chopped and cooked with eggs. It's delicious whether or not it's dietarily politically correct to like it. All the Vegans can say what they like, but IF the S-EVER-HTF, having available compact, calorie dense foods such as Spam will mean the difference between living and dying.

In fact I'm gonna eat some right now....
Old 06-23-2016, 01:18 PM

Had spam-n-egg Spamwiches this morning.

Home made bread, sliced and toasted.
Slice of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Slice of Spam (sliced 4 slices per can, we'll get two more Spamwiches)
One egg fried over.

Fried up some hash browns (one potato, quarter of an onion)out of the last few potatoes and onions left over from last years garden fried up nice & tasty.

I had a Honeycrisp Apple, wifey had a banana.
Iced Tea for her (Caffeine Free) and Coffee for me.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:29 PM

Yeah, fine. I fried up a SPAM single slice from the pouch today. Fried up an egg. Applied both to a whole wheat Sandwich Thin with some cheddar cheese in the middle.

Chased it with some hazelnut coffee with coconut palm sugar and real Half & Half in it.

Just me at home for a few days.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:23 PM

Researching into the shelf life of spam there is no date as long as it's kept in a cool dry place. Spam could save our lives just don't ask me to share my viddles.

Think spam and pancakes a full belly meal. I have dried buttermilk, canned milk, canned bacon, canned hams, pancake mix, flour, enough for a while.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, besafe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 08-26-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
Researching into the shelf life of spam there is no date as long as it's kept in a cool dry place. Spam could save our lives just don't ask me to share my viddles.

Think spam and pancakes a full belly meal. I have dried buttermilk, canned milk, canned bacon, canned hams, pancake mix, flour, enough for a while.
Yes, your Spam will outlast you but your other items will not. Pancake mix and flour have a relative short life. Wheat berries on the other hand will last 20+ years. I store no flours or mixes

I think pancakes and biscuits make great survival food
Old 10-06-2016, 03:10 AM

Spam's cheap at Costco. I loaded up this week. It will be a good supplement to my freeze dried food and powdered peanut butter.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:10 PM

I just bought a case of 100 single serving packs. A square about the size of a Wendy's burger. 10 for $2.50
Old 10-13-2016, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
I just bought a case of 100 single serving packs. A square about the size of a Wendy's burger. 10 for $2.50
You bought 10 single serving packs for $2.50 (sound too low priced) or did you mean it was $2.50 per individual pack? If the latter you do know a can of Spam is $2.50 right?
Old 10-14-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
That I'd like to know where to get. At Wallyworld they are $.92/packet. I usually keep three - five packets in the pantry and replace as used. That's pretty much how we used SPAM. A slice at a time.

I would love to be able to get a case or two of the packets for a great bulk price.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
That I'd like to know where to get. At Wallyworld they are $.92/packet. I usually keep three - five packets in the pantry and replace as used. That's pretty much how we used SPAM. A slice at a time.

I would love to be able to get a case or two of the packets for a great bulk price.
Dollar store, onsale and with a coupon. Believe it or not, it was a fluke. I am always on the lookout for such deals at The local Dollar General and they were onsale and I had a coupon for 1/2 price on any item and I bought the case as an ITEM. It went through the register, although I don't think that was their intent. I want to say $.79 retail price. I will have to check.

I buy canned chicken there as well. Its typically $2 a can, but goes on sale for 3 for $2.50.

Last edited by fast eddie; 10-23-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
You bought 10 single serving packs for $2.50 (sound too low priced) or did you mean it was $2.50 per individual pack? If the latter you do know a can of Spam is $2.50 right?
I was looking for a case of spam in the regular sized cans as others have posted here. These packs were all they had. (Although the stock lady offered a "delicious alternative" called Treat.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:33 AM

Recently, I bought a can of "Spam Light" which is lower in sodium, fat, and calories, than regular Spam. I bought it because I had not had it in many years, so I thought I would try it again. Well I guess my pallet has changed because it just tasted way to salty to me. I couldn't eat it. I also used to like it fried with eggs, and toast, but being a Philadelphian, I will just eat Scrapple instead.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:33 AM

A thread about Spam and only a couple Monty Python references?

Agree with Pilot, too salty, especially for a survival ration. But good to mix in with a casserole etc.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:31 PM

I had a single serving pack today, while the wife was at Price Chopper. It was salty, but it was a savory, ham flavored delight!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:10 PM

My wife has developed a taste for Spam Breakfast Burrito's.

Sliced Spam, sliced in little finger sized strips, fried up in a skillet.

Scrambled Eggs with Salsa Mixed into the mix and cooked.

Shredded Cheese

Flour Tortilla's Wrapped around that.

We use the "Fajita Sized" ones and two of those is a meal for anyone.

Usually get two breakfasts for the two of us out of one can of Spam.

I go ahead and wrap up the extra burritos and we nuke em in the microwave the next morning.

I also dice up Spam and then put it in my home made mac-n-cheese, put it all in a casserole dish, cover it up with rolled ritz crackers and bake it in the oven at 350 for about a half hour.

Mmmmmmm---Goood!
Old 10-25-2016, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D. View Post
A thread about Spam and only a couple Monty Python references?

Agree with Pilot, too salty, especially for a survival ration. But good to mix in with a casserole etc.
In a survival situation where you are working hard the salt WILL be needed.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:17 AM

Make sure you've got room for a vascular surgeon in your pantry. With a steady diet of Spam, you'll probably need one sooner rather than later.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
Make sure you've got room for a vascular surgeon in your pantry. With a steady diet of Spam, you'll probably need one sooner rather than later.
IF we're ever down to a "Steady Diet" of Spam, we're in more trouble than a vascular surgeon can help with.

My wife also considers it a treat to have made from scratch Biscuits, Sausage Gravy and Hash Browns.

Biscuits rolled out with my Mama's wooden rolling pin and cut with my Grandma's biscuit cutter.

Hashbrowns made from whole potatoes, boiled, chilled, shredded, and then fried.

Sausage gravy made with lean ground sausage from our yearly "Half-Hog" that's locally produced, butchered and processed and whole milk and buttermilk.

Typically I do that once a year on New Years Day.

I always joke that I know where I scratch, so I'm not sure I want to eat from there.

Spam is no better and no worse calorically speaking than any other processed meat.

But it's a good source of protein and at 4 servings to the can, it isn't going to kill us any faster than anything else.

It's probably a whole lot safer than some of the mass produced hamburger that is constantly being recalled due to bacterial contamination.

It's also a lot healthier than most of the chicken that is foisted off as "Healthy Eating".